Photo periods in bloom! Share your pics and advice.

• Thread starter Robert23howard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Robert23howard

This is my first grow of autos, first grow ever. From left to right is Gorilla Glue(started 10 days later), Sour Diesel, and Critical Jack. Critical Jack and the Sour Diesel are 14 weeks tomorrow. I am flushing Critical Jack tonight. I have learned a lot here so hopefully my next grow will better. I had a nutrient problem for a couple weeks that did not help. I am giving the Gorilla Glue and Sour Diesel another week or two.View attachment 2000262View attachment 2000263
That is a great first grow!!!! Should be super stoked on how well you did. They look great.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

R

Robert23howard

is this one almost ready ? or how long will it still take? purple haze autoflower day 107View attachment 2000274
Well to tell if it truly is ready is up to you. There are 3 different times in which one will choose to cut down their plants and start to dry their crop. One quick tip is to take your time drying. If you are unsure the exact process then do a little reading. Slow is the way to go!

So back to the 3 times. All depending on the type of effect you are looking for.

1.) All milky with little to no amber colored trichomes is a choice. More energetic type of buzz.

2.) 60-70 percent amber and the rest milky trichomes. Definitely more harsh to smoke but gives you the more stuck in the couch/sleepy buzz.

3.) which is probably when most folks will say it is ripe is when the trichomes are 20-30 percent amber and the rest milky. Gives you both of the effects I mentioned earlier. This is my favorite time to cut but I usually leave a branch or 2 to stay for a few days longer and then harvest them when they get to the 60-70 percent mark. I do like it smoking that on the days I want to go to sleep and just clock watch and toss and turn. It helps for sure.

Anything more than 80 percent amber trichomes I think is very harsh and just not my favorite. Seems like your smoking a stale cigar or cigarette if you have ever done either. Not pleasant and the buzz is no where near the quality as the plant is pretty much dying.

Some will say other things but this is close to what most sites will tell you.

So my advice is to get a decent magnifying device so you truly can see the trichomes and let the plant tell you when it is truly done to your liking. Hope this helps.

R

Robert23howard

I have no advise , I had one that had runoff at one point got to2400 ppm. So I violated Darwin but the sob made it through with beauty!!!
Lol, with a grow that beautiful you definitely have some quality advise. Plants look great!!!

R

Robert23howard

Wow, it has been a few days since I was able to get back on here and truly catch up. Lots of amazing pictures, quality questions, and my favorite - quality answers from so many. Very few people grow the same way and that is how it should be! Grow the way you choose to grow, the medium you choose to grow in, and the 2 most important things is to have fun and grow some quality bud.

Thanks for all the pics and comments. I will post a pic of my plants in flower later today.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I do love the comment about adding some extra days of veg until you are happy with the coverage or size of your plants prior flipping. I never use a calendar to decide my decision to flip the light schedule.
You do have some lead time......if that's the right way to put it. When you flip, new leaf/branch growth doesn't come to a halt that day. It's not ALL stretch. Over that first week there's still some growth and filling in while the plant figures out what's going on. So as we defoliate near the end of veg, we can take this into account.

Most experimenting we leave to others, science.......we don't tend to want to play around with the unknown. But something I plan on doing is a gradual flip. 12/12 is actually very abrupt for almost all varieties. In most regions, and I can only speak for most of the US......not northern Alaska, or the Florida Keys.......certainly not Hawaii or Thailand.....but in the majority of the US, 12/12 doesn't happen until when? November? Why are we flipping from June to November in one day?

What if we flipped to 14/10 to start? For that matter, what if we did 14/10 until harvest, but that's another experiment......

14/10 for 30 days, 13/11 for 30 days, 12/12 until harvest. Maybe even 11/13 to finish.

If 14/10 to start gives a more gradual flip, maybe it gives us more time to defoliate, and allows the plant more time to fill in.....

"You defoliated too much!"

"Don't worry, it will fill in very well...."

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
You do have some lead time......if that's the right way to put it. When you flip, new leaf/branch growth doesn't come to a halt that day. It's not ALL stretch. Over that first week there's still some growth and filling in while the plant figures out what's going on. So as we defoliate near the end of veg, we can take this into account.

Most experimenting we leave to others, science.......we don't tend to want to play around with the unknown. But something I plan on doing is a gradual flip. 12/12 is actually very abrupt for almost all varieties. In most regions, and I can only speak for most of the US......not northern Alaska, or the Florida Keys.......certainly not Hawaii or Thailand.....but in the majority of the US, 12/12 doesn't happen until when? November? Why are we flipping from June to November in one day?

What if we flipped to 14/10 to start? For that matter, what if we did 14/10 until harvest, but that's another experiment......

14/10 for 30 days, 13/11 for 30 days, 12/12 until harvest. Maybe even 11/13 to finish.

If 14/10 to start gives a more gradual flip, maybe it gives us more time to defoliate, and allows the plant more time to fill in.....

i slowly drop my hours until i reach 12/12 usually takes 3 weeks from 18/6..
speaking of 18/6 i keep meaning to but again even this time i keep forgetting.. which is i’m going to start plants with 16.5/7.5 .. which in most areas of the world the longest daylight day is 16.5 hours.. plants won’t start to flower until 14/10..
IMG 8739
IMG 8740

R

Robert23howard

I love the idea of experimenting! That is how you become great. Science is always the winner in everything. Some want to keep it simple and some as you excellently detailed above will learn so much and yield even more. Happy experimenting and that is for sure a feed I would follow along to watch your grow.

Thank you for the great post!

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Yeah I’m just over here swimming in a land of single sticks not knowing what I’m doing…I grew them that way on purpose lol. I breed my own seeds, have all the ammo in the world so why not? Some folks can’t see the forest for the trees. A lot of people try new things. Some others dial in their chosen process, there are a ton of people who try different things all the time, it’s where progress comes from. I appreciate everyone’s chosen styles. Unless they are just brutalizing plants for no good reason. It’s always good to ask tough questions, heads learn that way, if they could just put ego aside, and coexist. I must be crazy though. It’s a good informative thread, I learned a couple things. Hope some folks did too.

R

Robert23howard

Yeah I’m just over here swimming in a land of single sticks not knowing what I’m doing…I grew them that way on purpose lol. I breed my own seeds, have all the ammo in the world so why not? Some folks can’t see the forest for the trees. A lot of people try new things. Some others dial in their chosen process, there are a ton of people who try different things all the time, it’s where progress comes from. I appreciate everyone’s chosen styles. Unless they are just brutalizing plants for no good reason. It’s always good to ask tough questions, heads learn that way, if they could just put ego aside, and coexist. I must be crazy though. It’s a good informative thread, I learned a couple things. Hope some folks did too.
Such a true and great post! Most just want to maximize their individual grows and have something to smoke on that know exactly how it was grown. That’s truly all I care about when it is all said and done.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Such a true and great post! Most just want to maximize their individual grows and have something to smoke on that know exactly how it was grown. That’s truly all I care about when it is all said and done.
Exactly, smiles, proper crops, and a bong and a blintz. oh and every plant isn’t always going to be the most amazing plant on earth, issues pop up all the time, it’s incumbent on us here to try to give the most sound proven advice while remaining respectful to any differences. I think most growers are definitely happy to provide, safe quality smoke/medicine while doing your level best to perpetuate greatness for everyone. It’s part of why this site exists imho. To build each other up, not be raging pricks. You sir, seem like a good person.👊🏻

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I do love the comment about adding some extra days of veg until you are happy with the coverage or size of your plants prior flipping. I never use a calendar to decide my decision to flip the light schedule.
No doubt on that one. You definitely can’t ever set a watch to it.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Lol, with a grow that beautiful you definitely have some quality advise. Plants look great!!!

i slowly drop my hours until i reach 12/12 usually takes 3 weeks from 18/6..
speaking of 18/6 i keep meaning to but again even this time i keep forgetting.. which is i’m going to start plants with 16.5/7.5 .. which in most areas of the world the longest daylight day is 16.5 hours.. plants won’t start to flower until 14/10.. View attachment 2001299View attachment 2001300
You gotta sneak that half hour in there don't you? It's more science-nerdy. Ok, so I'm going to go by increments of 1 or 2 minutes a day in veg, then decrease by 1 or 2 minutes a day, what do you think of that!

.........fine, I'm just planting them outdoors.... ;)

Yeah I totally agree with that approach, because it most mirrors reality, spring, summer, fall.

It also squeezes in more light energy into the same number of days. Every day of more than 12 hours of light is that much more light. Dozens of hours more. Many dozens...

Ok, so.......is it worth it? Mimicking nature for the sake of it doesn't help. So we could tell all our friends that we do it? We're different, better.....because we mimick nature. Plus, we need to justify spending the extra electricity.

Does this decrease the number of veg days? or make the plants bigger and more developed over the same number of veg days? And, does it make the flowers grow larger? Bigger plants, more developed, bigger buds, more weight. If it doesn't lead to those things, does it even matter?

Of course, more resin would be great, but that seems like only a possible bonus anove and beyond. If we get all those other things and end up with the same % of resin, the same potency, it's still a big win.

Last edited:
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I mean......they look ok... ;)

Yeah like I said the older I get the more questions I have, and the more I learn that it's better to ask questions than think I know the answers. Everyone has their things........I like to look at the other side, often of what's accepted or popular......a little devil's advocate, contrarian, even if it's a little silly, because somewhere in there I learn more. We already know what we know........what do we not know? Plus, that's where the fun is.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I love the idea of experimenting! That is how you become great. Science is always the winner in everything. Some want to keep it simple and some as you excellently detailed above will learn so much and yield even more. Happy experimenting and that is for sure a feed I would follow along to watch your grow.

Thank you for the great post!
Are you crazy I'm not doing that! ;)

No, I definitively will. Nick, you say you do this, do you notice bigger yields, faster growth, etc? What do you notice from gradual light tapering? Is it really worth it?.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Are you crazy I'm not doing that! ;)

No, I definitively will. Nick, you say you do this, do you notice bigger yields, faster growth, etc? What do you notice from gradual light tapering? Is it really worth it?.
what have i noticed?
geez your asking the wrong guy as i didn’t even think that way about it, i was just avoiding the stress of a drastic switch.. i will say this though, i haven’t found a seed since..

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
what have i noticed?
geez your asking the wrong guy as i didn’t even think that way about it, i was just avoiding the stress of a drastic switch.. i will say this though, i haven’t found a seed since..
the idea of it makes too much sense. I’ve never applied this, it was always a hard flip for me, I’m definitely going to try this next run though, you handle your plants with kids gloves doing everything else, so why not on the flip too…..

Top Bottom