Photone App, LUX, Light Stress

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Observationist

Observationist

What numbers are you looking for with each reading or is it depending on what stage you in? I really want to learn how to dial my light in.
PPFD and DLI tentbuddy has a calculator including VPD

according to tentbuddy it says 6-15 DLI for clones 200-400PPFD

for veg 15-30 DLI 400-600PPFD

for flower 30-60DLI with 600-900 PPFD according to tentbuddy on android.

i find the PAR MAP for the light and match the numbers for accuracy.

growsince79

growsince79

You can’t check PH with the nutes I’m using, but it’s between 5.8-6.2 according to the shady characters that created it. Not sure if PPM can be checked either, due to the buffer. But doesn’t that look exactly what light stress is?
You can check on anything. Might not mean much but it don't hurt to check.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

The trick is to learn the light without using the meter. Once the distance is right, then see what the meter says if you want. Every meter is so different you cant go by someone else's recommendations. I'm glad my lights don't have a dimmer... Sounds too confusing for me.
I truly believe the dimmer dose more harm than good lol.

Dothraki

Dothraki

The trick is to learn the light without using the meter. Once the distance is right, then see what the meter says if you want. Every meter is so different you cant go by someone else's recommendations. I'm glad my lights don't have a dimmer... Sounds too confusing for me.
It’s not confusing. You’re essentially raising the light with a knob instead of actually raising the light. But aside from that... it’s a science, and shouldn’t have to be a guessing game. If it’s typical for 50,000 - 80,000 lux without CO2 and I’m burning them with 30,000 then either my lux meter app is off by 20-50,000 and the light flowers at only 50% power or the info is wrong and people are not growing at 60,000 Lux without burning leaves.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Good info man thanks! Do you adjust the height of the light or use the dimmer to achieve the numbers you want?

Dothraki

Dothraki

You can check on anything. Might not mean much but it don't hurt to check.
You can check trichomes by smelling them too but there’s no point because the information you receive will be useless. It wouldn’t hurt to check but it wouldn’t benefit in any way either.

growsince79

growsince79

Who's PAR map? Youtube or the very dishonest light peddlers?

Observationist

Observationist

Good info man thanks! Do you adjust the height of the light or use the dimmer to achieve the numbers you want?
Either or, if heat/power usage is an issue then I use height, if not then hang it up all the way and adjust dimmer as needed,

let the plants grow into it, start small work way up - easier to do on a fresh run

Also may want to rely on dimmer if you need to raise light higher for more coverage, so increase power.

I’m keeping my tent around low 80s, currently, so to do that I lowered the light and decreased the power.

Last edited:
Dothraki

Dothraki

Who's PAR map? Youtube or the very dishonest light peddlers?
For my light there are independent PPFD charts and they pretty much match the manufacturer. Also is close to the lux app (which also shows PPFD) so that’s why I find it odd that 30,000 lux is stressing the plant, turning bud leaves yellow. At least it appears that way. Wish someone could tell from the pics.

growsince79

growsince79

You can check trichomes by smelling them too but there’s no point because the information you receive will be useless. It wouldn’t hurt to check but it wouldn’t benefit in any way either.
LOL I base my harvest on trichome smell. Might let you know when to flush or not. Might help you learn for the next grow.

growsince79

growsince79

For my light there are independent PPFD charts and they pretty much match the manufacturer. Also is close to the lux app (which also shows PPFD) so that’s why I find it odd that 30,000 lux is stressing the plant, turning bud leaves yellow. At least it appears that way. Wish someone could tell from the pics.
Healthy plants can handle more light than unhealthy plants. Your plants have been struggling for a while now.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

If I didn’t have a dimmer they’d be getting cooked right now. Probably crispy and dead in a day.
I definitely like the idea of the dimmer but when I read the manual it says to run on 100% so what’s the point unless there are height restrictions I guess. I use my dimmers every grow but I have hard time finding any kind of consensus on the subject. Then again I think consensus on anything in the growing world is rare lol

Dothraki

Dothraki

Healthy plants can handle more light than unhealthy plants. Your plants have been struggling for a while now.
I thought about that. But that’s why I was running them at 30 instead of 75. Seems like quite the drop. Maybe I should crank em up and see what happens lol.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Have you watched this video?

Dothraki

Dothraki

I definitely like the idea of the dimmer but when I read the manual it says to run on 100% so what’s the point unless there are height restrictions I guess. I use my dimmers every grow but I have hard time finding any kind of consensus on the subject. Then again I think consensus on anything in the growing world is rare lol
Yeah it’s crazy. If I’d been growing for years I would have identified and treated issues enough to see photos and specs and know what the problem is but this is my first grow and it seems nobody knows anything. Everyone has different answers to everything and seems to fly by the seat of their pants, or keep growing the same strain so they don’t have new issues. I really think we need a botanist in here.

Top Bottom