PipeCarver's Nova Scotian grow den

• Thread starter PipeCarver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Nov 2 update. The Cherry Bomb looks like it has recovered from the low soil ph problem, its still low 5.65 but its moving in the right direction. Its grown about 3" inches this week The KC39's only about 2" same as Bubba. I've got the temp and humidity just about right at 79f and 55%.

2 clones I took off the Cherry Bomb are looking great and I'm just about ready to put them into the large pots. Another 2 clones I cut off the same week look like they were effected by the same low ph issue with curling leaves and spots they must of inherited from mom but are doing much better this week. I'm now moving them into the flower room for 12 hrs then back to the veg room for another 6
Something I read this week on this site implied that plants use a dark period to absorb nutrients. I've been running 24 hrs and love the growth I get doing that but if my plants aren't absorbing nutes during a dark period then that maybe part of the reason for my low soil ph. I'm not sure 100% but I'll cut back the hours to 18 and see if over time I notice any difference in soil ph as a result.

I also re-routed my flower room exhaust to the veg room to take advantage of the heat from the 1000w & rewired all my equipment supply wires to better balance the loads and to clean up cords I had crisscrossing my space.
Glad things are looking up! The only issue I can see with rerouting your bloom exhaust to heat the veg area is the humidity factor, you might want to keep an eye on that? I use my exhaust to help heat my bedroom! LOL :)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Glad things are looking up! The only issue I can see with rerouting your bloom exhaust to heat the veg area is the humidity factor, you might want to keep an eye on that? I use my exhaust to help heat my bedroom! LOL :)

Wouldnt the bloom exhaust be depleted of co2?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Do you mean it will make my veg room to dry? My basement is pretty damp and I'll need to dehumidify my flower room soon. Right now its about 50 -55% up to 60 when I close the flower room up tight then the heat and humidity go up but the veg room will stay at the 50-60 range I have an in house fresh air return system that works better than I thought. I'd set it down to 40% during the high humid days and forgot about it, this October It had dried us out to 35% now its set for 50% alls good .

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Absolutely could. My little sealed room is 4x6x6.5 I have a CO2 controller that monitors and records CO2 levels. I can literally watch the CO2 drop from high nighttime levels of 2000ish ppm to 600 in 30-45min when lights come on

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
It is my understanding as well as my experience, which could be incorrect, but I was always taught that the plant made the food/energy during the light periods but uses them and does most of the actual growing during the dark. I know that plants grown 24/24 tend to be much shorter and more compact, mostly due to no stretching during the dark periods. I know some folks grow under 24 and seem to do OK with it, although I think a lot of them were Auto strains.
it gives me over 2 extra days of growth compared to 18 hrs because from what I've learned plants need energy to grow and its provided by the light and plants don't need to sleep. Specially in early days, I can see the daily growth much more on 24 than 18 but I'm starting to think doing that for 3+ months is not a good idea. I end up with problems like I had this time. I've run into problems in the past and I'm going to go 18 now and see if it makes a difference.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
????????? oh no don't give me more problems to look at. I have pretty good air flow and I'm light tight not air tight ( air contained ) but not tight. I have like 3 separate zones divided by heavy fabric and panda plastic 5x5x5x5 frames for flower and the same separate fabric room 5x4x5x4 panda plastic frames with my work space in between. Its a great room for growing but I only have 5' under the light with ducting and an oil tank tucked in there with me, I'm banging my head into the duct work all the time, its pretty tight in some places but it works and no one knows its there, except you guys so don't tell my neighbors.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

????????? oh no don't give me more problems to look at. I have pretty good air flow and I'm light tight not air tight ( air contained ) but not tight. I have like 3 separate zones divided by heavy fabric and panda plastic 5x5x5x5 frames for flower and the same separate fabric room 5x4x5x4 panda plastic frames with my work space in between. Its a great room for growing but I only have 5' under the light with ducting and an oil tank tucked in there with me, I'm banging my head into the duct work all the time, its pretty tight in some places but it works and no one knows its there, except you guys so don't tell my neighbors.

As long as there is enough fresh air mixed in for veg you would be alright.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
As long as there is enough fresh air mixed in for veg you would be alright.
intake is the flower room air now and I exhaust the veg room to another basement / workshop I have an oscillating fan and as i said light tight not air tight I hope I'm okay. Please don't make me have to buy something my wife will freak.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

intake is the flower room air now and I exhaust the veg room to another basement / workshop I have an oscillating fan and as i said light tight not air tight I hope I'm okay. Please don't make me have to buy something my wife will freak.
Hey man I see you asking about GH Flora 3 part, I used it for almost 3 years up until earlier this year. If you have questions I might be able to make some recommendations or at least tell you how I used it, I had great success with it and only switched because of a big price increase, I have two full gallons of pink and green still hanging around LOL but none of the brown so when I went to order it it went from like 28 bucks to 38 bucks in my cart so I started trying other products and now mainly use the Masterblend, I use the GH out in my tomatoes now :) it did a great job this year!
20190917 095233

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey man I see you asking about GH Flora 3 part, I used it for almost 3 years up until earlier this year. If you have questions I might be able to make some recommendations or at least tell you how I used it, I had great success with it and only switched because of a big price increase, I have two full gallons of pink and green still hanging around LOL but none of the brown so when I went to order it it went from like 28 bucks to 38 bucks in my cart so I started trying other products and now mainly use the Masterblend, I use the GH out in my tomatoes now :) it did a great job this year!View attachment 907916
Now I have a craving for a tomato and bacon sandwich. Toast, mayo, salt, pepper, tomato, bacon and cheddar cheese. Heaven on bread

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Now I have a craving for a tomato and bacon sandwich. Toast, mayo, salt, pepper, tomato, bacon and cheddar cheese. Heaven on bread
LOL that's all I've been eating for months I still have a few to go Sammy's to go! I grew it with Schultz all purpose and the GH pink LOL great stuff but it got a little pricey for my liking

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Man I tell ya.. you all out to make me jealous. You eating my favorite Sammy's for a month and dirtbag with his joints and tropical vaca's. Lol conspiracy I say.
I lived for my southern vacations, it was like the carrot hanging out in front of me. It gave me purpose to work, wife handled all the bills with her income mine went to southern vacations. We got together in1987 and we went south every year some years 2-3 times except for 2001 until about 4 years ago. Now we're too broke to do that, not the disposable income we once had. I called it palm tree fever, come hell or high water I was going to get some winter sunshine.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I lived for my southern vacations, it was like the carrot hanging out in front of me. It gave me purpose to work, wife handled all the bills with her income mine went to southern vacations. We got together in1987 and we went south every year some years 2-3 times except for 2001 until about 4 years ago. Now we're too broke to do that, not the disposable income we once had. I called it palm tree fever, come hell or high water I was going to get some winter sunshine.
Never traveled a whole lot outside of Canada except for work. For me I love fishing I get out lots in the summer and that my reprieve. Of course I have my cell phone with for work :/

Take up some rays for me and don't forget the sunglasses sometimes a beautiful view can somehow end up leading to a backhand across the head lol... Not that I would know. Hope you have a blast man

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Never traveled a whole lot outside of Canada except for work. For me I love fishing I get out lots in the summer and that my reprieve. Of course I have my cell phone with for work :/

Take up some rays for me and don't forget the sunglasses sometimes a beautiful view can somehow end up leading to a backhand across the head lol... Not that I would know. Hope you have a blast man
Oh I've fished and fished and fished, but I decided if I wanted to eat fish I'd have more luck at Safeway down isle 2 comes in a tin, I like mine solid not that flaked stuff goes well on toast with mayo and chopped veggies.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

I made some money in 1977 working for the BC salmon commission, up on Chilko lake about a hundred miles towards the coast from Williams lake. I had no where to spend my money for 2 months, during which time my parents went to Hawaii and said if I ever get the chance. Come October that year I packed my ten speed bike and camping gear and went there with $200 bucks and an open ended ticket. I returned the following June. While I was there I picked up palm tree fever and have spent all the money I ever made in my adult life on travel to southern locations to give me some relief from the pain I feel in the cold dark days of winter in Canada,lol. No boat,no atv, no camp or camper or vacation home, no money in the bank either lol.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I made some money in 1977 working for the BC salmon commission, up on Chilko lake about a hundred miles towards the coast from Williams lake. I had no where to spend my money for 2 months, during which time my parents went to Hawaii and said if I ever get the chance. Come October that year I packed my ten speed bike and camping gear and went there with $200 bucks and an open ended ticket. I returned the following June. While I was there I picked up palm tree fever and have spent all the money I ever made in my adult life on travel to southern locations to give me some relief from the pain I feel in the cold dark days of winter in Canada,lol. No boat,no atv, no camp or camper or vacation home, no money in the bank either lol.
I can sympathize to that. I hate winter. My joints and body period hate the bitter cold.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Im starting to share that feeling.
Weekly update Nov 9 1st week of flower, Good week for them all. New growth is healthy, water run off ph is climbing steadily now. My Cherry Bomb is looking good, I trimmed the effected leaves off through the week now there's not any signs of her previous problems.
I took a tape to her and she's about 24" tall 36" x 28" wide, I've got me a rectangle full of bud sites.

My Bubba Kush isn't as full and bushy as I'd like, I turned her to early for my liking but its done now so I'll get what I get.

The 2 KC39 are both filling in and bushed out okay for the short veg period

Clones from the Cherry Bomb are growing very well since I moved them into the 3 gallon pots. Not as much root growth as I thought they should have when I transplanted them. More soil than roots so I had a bit of a mess with roots not binding the whole mass together, but its done and they don't seem any worse for ware. I move them all daily under the 1000W for 12 hrs then into veg room for another 6 at night under just 178w of florescent's when flower room lights are out.

Temps dropping outdoors now, first fkin snow fall of the season, just a dusting but its all fkin white and cold. If it wasn't for this hobby I'd be fked!. lol I don't do winters well and there's no carrot to get me through it this year, I'll just have to suffer through it.

Walking my cat Coal every day, out through the neighbour's old Christmas tree farm and work yard. We walk about 1km once or twice a day some days we'll do a mile if he decides to go right at the decisions point on our trail usually he turns left and heads towards home.

Coal pole

Latest posts

Top Bottom