PipeCarver's Nova Scotian grow den

• Thread starter PipeCarver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yes but I don't have a boat, atv, cottage or money in the bank lol

Meh, material wealth can never compare to experiences man. Good on ya. Sounds like a rich existence. Thanks again for all your insights into this trip. I've travelled a lot around the UK but hope to do a lot more travelling around warmer parts of the world myself. And also, have nothing material to show for it lol.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Meh, material wealth can never compare to experiences man. Good on ya. Sounds like a rich existence. Thanks again for all your insights into this trip. I've travelled a lot around the UK but hope to do a lot more travelling around warmer parts of the world myself. And also, have nothing material to show for it lol.
I'm still having low humidity problems 22% this am in flower room with a humidifier running 24/7, Veg room with Humidifier running 35% Both humidifiers are now in the flower room through the day as are my vegging plants still can't get the room over 35% both humidifiers running full blast.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm still having low humidity problems 22% this am in flower room with a humidifier running 24/7, Veg room with Humidifier running 35% Both humidifiers are now in the flower room through the day as are my vegging plants still can't get the room over 35% both humidifiers running full blast.

In that situation I turn my lights down a bit and lower the temperature. I usually only ever do that, or need to do that in veg though. Might be counter productive in flower. Alternately just dial back the nutrient strength, especially calcium way back. 35% in flower isnt too low imho but it will make it transpire a lot more. Which could lead to overfeeding certain nutrients.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
In that situation I turn my lights down a bit and lower the temperature. I usually only ever do that, or need to do that in veg though. Might be counter productive in flower. Alternately just dial the nutrient strength, especially calcium way back. 35% in flower isnt too low imho but it will make it transpire a lot more. Which could lead to overfeeding certain nutrients.
thanks will do on nute's. Fk its 43% outside -16c I don't know why its so dry in the sub basement. We have an inhouse air recirculating / recovery system that was set at 50% I re-adjusted it last night to 60% but its done fk all yet. And still this am 17% yesterday 22% this am. gotta do something.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
thanks will do on nute's. Fk its 43% outside -16c I don't know why its so dry in the sub basement. We have an inhouse air recirculating / recovery system that was set at 50% I re-adjusted it last night to 60% but its done fk all yet. And still this am 17% yesterday 22% this am. gotta do something.
Below freezing the amount of actual water the air can hold is extremely small. Might be 43% outside but remember that's relative to the temperature. That same air brought inside warmed up would be closer to 10%, since warm air can hold a lot more moisture.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Below freezing the amount of actual water the air can hold is extremely small. Might be 43% outside but remember that's relative to the temperature. That same air brought inside warmed up would be closer to 10%, since warm air can hold a lot more moisture.
I saw a guy build a swamp cooler out of a couple of computer fans some piping and filters and home depo bucket with lid. A bit of a project for me just to get the supplies I need but easy build with his instructions. Now if i'd stop smoking for a bit so I could go out and round up what I need. Procrastination kills great ideas.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I saw a guy build a swamp cooler out of a couple of computer fans some piping and filters and home depo bucket with lid. A bit of a project for me just to get the supplies I need but easy build with his instructions. Now if i'd stop smoking for a bit so I could go out and round up what I need. Procrastination kills great ideas.
This low humidity problem is not good on my plants, Flower room this am with humidifier on 17% Veg room humidifier on 35% Even inside my new basically sealed seedling/cuttings box 44% I reset the exhaust time to 1 min on 50 off but it didn't seem to help much. Outside temps are going to rise above zero this week and humidity is also going up outside I hope that translates into indoor humidity rising a bunch. I'll drop an aquarium bubbler into a water bucket to see if that'll bring me up a point or 2 this afternoon. Desperate times and all.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
This low humidity problem is not good on my plants, Flower room this am with humidifier on 17% Veg room humidifier on 35% Even inside my new basically sealed seedling/cuttings box 44% I reset the exhaust time to 1 min on 50 off but it didn't seem to help much. Outside temps are going to rise above zero this week and humidity is also going up outside I hope that translates into indoor humidity rising a bunch. I'll drop an aquarium bubbler into a water bucket to see if that'll bring me up a point or 2 this afternoon. Desperate times and all.
A friend gave me a couple of starter plants, one that from seed a Sweet Tooth about 2 weeks old and 1 clone Grand Daddy Purple. Both seem to have great linage so that could be the four I want to grow perpetually, depends on how I like the smoke with Chemdog and KC39. or mix in a Galiano Candy or something new once and a while I'll be good.

Sweet Dreams are made of these!😀😀

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

An open aquarium or fish bowl with an air stone. Having the same problem in my garage trying to dry some spears. I set up a 5 gal aquarium about 5' below the hanging bud and now it's almost 60%. It was about 20.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
An open aquarium or fish bowl with an air stone. Having the same problem in my garage trying to dry some spears. I set up a 5 gal aquarium about 5' below the hanging bud and now it's almost 60%. It was about 20.
I have the bubbler in the pot and, I don't want to get too excited but it went up a couple points in just a few minutes. With humidifier on full blast the flower room is at 25% The bubbler pushed it to 27%. I'll check at lights out see if it was just a coincidence or its working at all.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have the bubbler in the pot and, I don't want to get too excited but it went up a couple points in just a few minutes. With humidifier on full blast the flower room is at 25% The bubbler pushed it to 27%. I'll check at lights out see if it was just a coincidence or its working at all.
Fk this month sucks, 15% in flower room with Humidifier and the bubbler ( It didn't do shit.) I added & 35% in veg room and 44% in Seedling box. I guess its down to wet towels in the room. The leaves are dry and not looking very good. Not the lush green thriving look I want.

Its been a disaster month so far in the plant room, next door neighbor for 25 years died suddenly 3 days ago, Grandaughters cat suddenly died yesterday (18) My wife's mother (92) been given 2 weeks by Dr's 2 weeks ago Freezing cold weather with ice everywhere walking is dangerous. Faaaak I want to hibernate until February is done.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Fk this month sucks, 15% in flower room with Humidifier and the bubbler ( It didn't do shit.) I added & 35% in veg room and 44% in Seedling box. I guess its down to wet towels in the room. The leaves are dry and not looking very good. Not the lush green thriving look I want.

Its been a disaster month so far in the plant room, next door neighbor for 25 years died suddenly 3 days ago, Grandaughters cat suddenly died yesterday (18) My wife's mother (92) been given 2 weeks by Dr's 2 weeks ago Freezing cold weather with ice everywhere walking is dangerous. Faaaak I want to hibernate until February is done.

Damn, sorry to hear about this man... Shit comes in waves for sure. Pretty much all of 2019 was wavy as hell for me.
You've really only got a couple options, either ride out the dry weather and do your best but accept that what happens happens... Add industrial grade humidifiers to the room, or seal it up with AC and Co2. All 3 are potentially costly options... I'd just keep that feed rate really low and ride it out. You'll get something out of it at least most likely.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Damn, sorry to hear about this man... Shit comes in waves for sure. Pretty much all of 2019 was wavy as hell for me.
You've really only got a couple options, either ride out the dry weather and do your best but accept that what happens happens... Add industrial grade humidifiers to the room, or seal it up with AC and Co2. All 3 are potentially costly options... I'd just keep that feed rate really low and ride it out. You'll get something out of it at least most likely.
My humidity is often 20% or less... even as we speak and I am having no problems. The most problems I had was a few dry leaf tips, but as more leaves grew and the plants grew larger, the Rh at the leaf zone seemed OK. I often grow during the winter in the NE/N Central US, and my Rh is constantly low. My humidity meters won't measure below 20%, , which is doesn't start to creep above until the outdoor temps get into the 40s. While Rh seems to help to a degree, it isn't as necessary, in my opinion, as other factors. I try to keep the fans from blowing directly on them, but there is a slight breeze at all times.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
My humidity is often 20% or less... even as we speak and I am having no problems. The most problems I had was a few dry leaf tips, but as more leaves grew and the plants grew larger, the Rh at the leaf zone seemed OK. I often grow during the winter in the NE/N Central US, and my Rh is constantly low. My humidity meters won't measure below 20%, , which is doesn't start to creep above until the outdoor temps get into the 40s. While Rh seems to help to a degree, it isn't as necessary, in my opinion, as other factors. I try to keep the fans from blowing directly on them, but there is a slight breeze at all times.
I had 3 oscillating fans running 24/7 and I shut the 2 small ones off to no avail. I'm glad to here you don't think it to be too much of an issue. It's going to be over 0c all week (yahoo) I'm hoping that'll help. I'm open air with 5 ft walls, without a tent there's no way to seal it up.
I like my set up for about 8-9 months a year but for a 1.5 months at either end of the seasons I have problems. My little humidifiers have usually helped but its past the point now where they're much good at all. Wife'll freak on more equipment now. I'll have to ride it out this year.I bought a good dehumidifier so that help summer grows.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I had 3 oscillating fans running 24/7 and I shut the 2 small ones off to no avail. I'm glad to here you don't think it to be too much of an issue. It's going to be over 0c all week (yahoo) I'm hoping that'll help. I'm open air with 5 ft walls, without a tent there's no way to seal it up.
I like my set up for about 8-9 months a year but for a 1.5 months at either end of the seasons I have problems. My little humidifiers have usually helped but its past the point now where they're much good at all. Wife'll freak on more equipment now. I'll have to ride it out this year.I bought a good dehumidifier so that help summer grows.
I have a furnace blower sucking the air out of the grow room (also not a tent). As long as the air is moving, you are good. Too much airflow can suck any local RH away, although it sometimes helps with weak seedling stems. I find it best to keep air moving enough to prevent stagnation but not blowing on the plants, to be best. If things get musty, then you don't have enough airflow, but if you can feel a lot of airflow, you might be excessive. The secret is the sweet spot inbetween where you keep the air circulating but not so strongly that it drops Rh more thn necessary. As my plants grow larger, they increase the Rh in the room a lot. After about 6 weeks of vegging, they are pumping out nearly 8 gallons of water vapor (I water a gallon/day and it get used up by the next watering) a day.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have a furnace blower sucking the air out of the grow room (also not a tent). As long as the air is moving, you are good. Too much airflow can suck any local RH away, although it sometimes helps with weak seedling stems. I find it best to keep air moving enough to prevent stagnation but not blowing on the plants, to be best. If things get musty, then you don't have enough airflow, but if you can feel a lot of airflow, you might be excessive. The secret is the sweet spot inbetween where you keep the air circulating but not so strongly that it drops Rh more thn necessary. As my plants grow larger, they increase the Rh in the room a lot. After about 6 weeks of vegging, they are pumping out nearly 8 gallons of water vapor (I water a gallon/day and it get used up by the next watering) a day.
This am it was still low 17% but now with the exhaust turned off 6 pans with an 1" of water and a humidifier running I have it up to 30%. Not sure if its my efforts or the outsides humidity is now at 87% .and its raised the overall humidity lol I'll probably need my de humidifier running next week. A couple of weeks with the low humidity problem has definitely stunted their growth and killed off the large fan leaves on all my vegging month old plants.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
This am it was still low 17% but now with the exhaust turned off 6 pans with an 1" of water and a humidifier running I have it up to 30%. Not sure if its my efforts or the outsides humidity is now at 87% .and its raised the overall humidity lol I'll probably need my de humidifier running next week. A couple of weeks with the low humidity problem has definitely stunted their growth and killed off the large fan leaves on all my vegging month old plants.
Long Winter nights, we've been re watching Weeds. Fkin cracks me up. if you've never watched its hilarious. It reminds me a bit like an early Breaking Bad.
Top re-watchable shows We've liked in no particular order

Spartacus/ God's of the Arena / Blood and Sand
Rome
Breaking Bad
Weeds
Dexter
Game of Thrones
Sons of Anarchy
The last Kingdom
The Wire
Black Sails
Homeland
Narcos
Vikings
Better call Saul
Shameless
Sopranos

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
My Rh was 14% this morning, but I can't say that I really see too much problems from the low humidity. I have grown some strains that didn't care for the dry conditions, but never anything more than some brown tips... no leaf loss is seen. One thing you have t watch out for when you get to30% RH and above is condensation. Decades ago, we weren't using a suitable exhaust fan in a garage grow. Any place that got a little cold would condense water from the higher humidity levels and black mold was everywhere. I think Indicas are more tolerant of dry conditions, as many are from arid areas. Sativas seem mostly tropical and equatorial, dealing with high humidity much better than Indica strains, which are susceptible to mold due to their tight structures.
Any idea of the affected strains?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

My Rh was 14% this morning, but I can't say that I really see too much problems from the low humidity. I have grown some strains that didn't care for the dry conditions, but never anything more than some brown tips... no leaf loss is seen. One thing you have t watch out for when you get to30% RH and above is condensation. Decades ago, we weren't using a suitable exhaust fan in a garage grow. Any place that got a little cold would condense water from the higher humidity levels and black mold was everywhere. I think Indicas are more tolerant of dry conditions, as many are from arid areas. Sativas seem mostly tropical and equatorial, dealing with high humidity much better than Indica strains, which are susceptible to mold due to their tight structures.
Any idea of the affected strains?

I remember in Ed Rosenthals grow book he tested everything. He said humidity did not affect yield or quality as long as water and nutrients are adjusted to conditions.

Personally I find it easy to burn plants under 40%

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I remember in Ed Rosenthals grow book he tested everything. He said humidity did not affect yield or quality as long as water and nutrients are adjusted to conditions.

Personally I find it easy to burn plants under 40%
Feb 26th temps above zero humidity up to 35% in flower and yahoo 55% in veg.

I found a bag of pipes I thought were taken by our house gremlins, you know the ones, that take odd things or move them around, like keys, remotes, tools. Fkers stole a nice pair of side cutters last year. Between my shop and my home I put them down somewhere and the fkers took them.lol

2 cherry Bomb after 3 days of dark. Cut and hang.

Valentines dinner re-created

100 3875
100 3876
100 3877
100 3873
Top Bottom