Pistils Turning Brown

• Thread starter Nijini
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nijini

Nijini

She's pretty much perfect by the looks of things.
How long more?. We are now getting one week of sunshine with temperatures around 50´s at night and 60s during the day. But 2 weeks from now the temps will drop a lot and rainy season start with around 10 days non stop pouring then 1 or 2 days cloudy and then more rain. this will go on until mid november. By november temperatures will be in the 40s. It will also be 9 weeks or so of flowering. What should I do? I am in doubt.

Mico2
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Turning purple, for me, isn't a sign of too cold, just cold. When flowering stalls is a sign it's too cold, otherwise, let her go.
How long more?. We are now getting one week of sunshine with temperatures around 50´s at night and 60s during the day. But 2 weeks from now the temps will drop a lot and rainy season start with around 10 days non stop pouring then 1 or 2 days cloudy and then more rain. this will go on until mid november. By november temperatures will be in the 40s. It will also be 9 weeks or so of flowering. What should I do? I am in doubt.
I can't recall what your elevation is. She's in the ground, so there's little worry about cold other than it will probably stall flowering. She's got WEEKS to go yet in my opinion, more than a month, probably more like two to three. Nurse her along as best you can. Watch CLOSELY for mold in the buds and have something like rubbing alcohol with you, with a sprayer, when you go to visit her. If you find any rot, cut it out making certain that you've cut all of it out, not a single speck left, and spray the area with the rubbing alcohol.

Right now you're just gonna nurse her along til she can get as close to done as possible. I have a thread, link in my signature line, on how to tell doneness without using a loupe. If she's a Sattie like I think she is, you're really gonna want her to go as long as possible, otherwise paranoid or depressing highs may result.

Nijini

Nijini

Pee around her if you can, and if you can save some pee to put around her, do that.
What for? What good will it do to her? My agronomist friend tells me that peeing is a misconception. The urea amount needed by a plant is so little that 1 single drop would be enough for 5 gallons of water. More than that is directly harmful for a plant. But, he does´t grow pot so please enlighten me :-)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I am able to visit my plants, which are on my property, anytime I want. When I advise you, I am keeping in mind the fact that you are doing something very dangerous personally and must be very, very careful about your activities. I think you can easily explain a bladder full of urine, but other fertilizers..?

It is not harmful to the plant, and I'm surprised, very frankly, that your agronomist friend is unaware of the fact that urine is a perfect and complete fertilizer. A single drop for 5 gallons? does he not urinate on at least a daily basis? I use it regularly, unfortunately I do not produce enough to fulfill all my fertilization needs. How does he feel about the blue stuff, or anything derived from animal waste? Same scenario, deadly to the plant?

Depending on the strength of the urine produced, it usually should be diluted at a ratio anywhere between 5:1 and 10:1 (this is the ratio I start with for potted plants, in ground can be treated a bit differently). I drink tea and water all day long as I get kidney stones and need to keep my system well hydrated, so I will dilute no more than 5:1. For plants directly in the ground urinating nearby but not directly on the plant should be perfectly safe, especially if you're having any rainy weather.

Pot isn't much different than other vascular plants, either. It evolved on the same earth, under the same sun. I'm flummoxed by his response. We don't want fresh urine splashing on fruit and veg to be eaten fresh, but if care is taken it's not an issue.

Let me share with you the study that really converted me to using my urine to feed instead of being flushed by potable water into an irrecoverable area (engineered septic).
Here's the published study: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf9018917
Here's a SciAm article on the study: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/news-blog/p-is-for-plants-human-urine-plus-as-2009-09-04/

The other thing I might suggest adding, if I thought you could get it to your plant, is sea water or sea salt (not the culinary type). Now I'm curious what the agronomist might have to say about that, too. I have more studies on that to share if it is desired. :)

Nijini

Nijini

Thank you. I will listen to you. My agronomist friend told me that long time ago, maybe even 25 years ago and he passed away in 2000 so I won´t be asking him anything so soon.
But tell me something, why do you suggest that? By the photos does it look like it needs food?

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Thank you. I will listen to you. My agronomist friend told me that long time ago, maybe even 25 years ago and he passed away in 2000 so I won´t be asking him anything so soon.
But tell me something, why do you suggest that? By the photos does it look like it needs food?
They don't seem to be beefing up much which could be lack of nutrientsstrain depending

Nijini

Nijini

They don't seem to be beefing up much which could be lack of nutrientsstrain depending
I don´t know. This is the first time I am finishing a regular Paraguayan sativa. i have done some auto earlier but none regular. Seamaiden wrote that I need one more month, maybe 2. It looks like that. The growth is very slow here in the mountains and no much sun as our elevation is where the clouds are usually

2015 10 19 120844
2015 10 19 120845
2015 10 19 121522
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well look at that girl just chuggin' along, minding her own business growin' flowers!
Yes, it's going to need food and right now it wants phosphorous. Do you see how the petioles (the stems that attach the leaves to the plant itself) are red, kind of purple? That's a sign the plant is unable to fully form and utilize sugars, which requires phosphorous, and plants are all about making sugars. And especially as it begins to go heavily into flower, it's going to need more potassium and phosphorous, it will be translocating nitrogen from lower leaves up to the flower growth so expect it to start yellowing from the bottom up and from the inside out. Don't try to feed it too much nitrogen at this point.

Urine, or even better urine with wood ashes, will provide her everything she'll need to make her best flowers for you. :)
He got a very late start to the season. I think we'd agree that if he were showing us these pix in July we'd say she's doing great.

Junk

Junk

Causes of Brown Pistils (that I know of)- Touching the buds, bloom boosters, over feeding, K+, pollination, heat stress, cold stress.

You can't do much about it, but 60 is cold for cannabis. Hopefully it's not in that temp range for large periods of time.

Nijini

Nijini

Well look at that girl just chuggin' along, minding her own business growin' flowers!

Yes, it's going to need food and right now it wants phosphorous. Do you see how the petioles (the stems that attach the leaves to the plant itself) are red, kind of purple? That's a sign the plant is unable to fully form and utilize sugars, which requires phosphorous, and plants are all about making sugars. And especially as it begins to go heavily into flower, it's going to need more potassium and phosphorous, it will be translocating nitrogen from lower leaves up to the flower growth so expect it to start yellowing from the bottom up and from the inside out. Don't try to feed it too much nitrogen at this point.

Urine, or even better urine with wood ashes, will provide her everything she'll need to make her best flowers for you. :)

He got a very late start to the season. I think we'd agree that if he were showing us these pix in July we'd say she's doing great.

No wood ashes here as it is forbidden to burn anything except Incense. Maybe I can use incense ashes? Good incenses are made of wood so maybe it applies?
Today I fed her with urin diluted 1:5 ratio. I took some shots from different angles. I will be away for 5 days and see if there is any improvement. If there is not should I start to harvest it? Or is it still too early? It does look early by the look of the other branch flowers. They look like they are just starting to develop.
I did get a late start(may) and we had 1 month of no sun rays at all, only mist for 30 days so it did not grow much for 1 month but maybe it made it stronger, I don´t know.
It is now on its 7th week of flowering. My friends in Paraguay, where the seed is from, tell me it needs 6 to 8 months from sprouting to finish, 3 months being flowering, I really don´t know.
Here are some photos

IMG 3526
IMG 3527
IMG 3543
IMG 3555 copy
IMG 3555
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
7-8mos sounds about right for a good Paraguayan Sativa like I think she is. I don't know about incense ashes, but a small amount probably would not hurt here. The issue to be cognizant of with ashes is that they are very, very alkaline and push pH up very hard, so a small amount is all you really need.

She's showing a need for potassium here, now, too. Fortunately it's relatively easily supplied, the issue is what can you actually get a hold of, and what can you easily transport to the site. Can you get a hold of dried seaweed? If so, crumble it up if it's not already in a meal form, make a 24hr tea with it. Make it very, very concentrated so you don't have to slog so much water up and down the mountain, and use that around the plant, not directly on her roots, but around the edges of her canopy. This will help the plant 'decide' whether or not to take it up.

I'm trying to think of what else might supply a good bit of K... gonna have to give it a thought for a minute.

Top Bottom