Pistils Turning Brown

• Thread starter Nijini
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nijini

Nijini

7-8mos sounds about right for a good Paraguayan Sativa like I think she is. I don't know about incense ashes, but a small amount probably would not hurt here. The issue to be cognizant of with ashes is that they are very, very alkaline and push pH up very hard, so a small amount is all you really need.

She's showing a need for potassium here, now, too. Fortunately it's relatively easily supplied, the issue is what can you actually get a hold of, and what can you easily transport to the site. Can you get a hold of dried seaweed? If so, crumble it up if it's not already in a meal form, make a 24hr tea with it. Make it very, very concentrated so you don't have to slog so much water up and down the mountain, and use that around the plant, not directly on her roots, but around the edges of her canopy. This will help the plant 'decide' whether or not to take it up.

I'm trying to think of what else might supply a good bit of K... gonna have to give it a thought for a minute.
Dried seaweed is no problem as we eat it everyday in our lunch soup so we have tons of it. I will prepare some for my next week visit.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How quickly is it available?
Dried seaweed is no problem as we eat it everyday in our lunch soup so we have tons of it. I will prepare some for my next week visit.
Fantastic! I remembered yesterday as I was eating a banana that you can also use the following: Banana peels made into a tea (24hrs+) and potato water, and potato skins.

Nijini

Nijini

How quickly is it available?

Fantastic! I remembered yesterday as I was eating a banana that you can also use the following: Banana peels made into a tea (24hrs+) and potato water, and potato skins.
I was in another city 6 hours from here these past days and was able to buy at a florist a very rich potash. I explained to the florist what I was growing and showed him the photos. He sold me some small bags of potash. The ingredients on this particular potash were NPK of course at a ratio of 15, 15, 15 and also boron, calcium, chlorine, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, sulfur and zinc. I added that to the plant today.
As you can see on the plant it is still growing, the main stem is now 7.5 inches long but still not so fat.
I also bought jewels magnifier with zoom from 30x to 80x and I was able to see that the trichomes are still cristal clear although very big. I think the plant is doing fine but it still needs time, how long I have no clue but the temperature is dropping fast. The forecast for next week is from 40´s to 50´s so I just hope the plant will mature. Let´s wait and see if this potash will help.

Mico
Wisher619

Wisher619

Sea beat me to it....but you really need K for the finish...even though you have that fert blend you need K....mash up some potato and banana and let it steep in a bucket of water for 24 hours.....then dig a really small trench around the canopy and pour the blended mash in the trench and cover it and then cover around the plant with mulch like dead leaves and forest humus

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yep, agreed with GrowGod on that. Let her go as long as you can. That fertilizer should do the trick for you very well. I suggest starting off using small amounts. Looking really good!

Nijini

Nijini

Yep, agreed with GrowGod on that. Let her go as long as you can. That fertilizer should do the trick for you very well. I suggest starting off using small amounts. Looking really good!
The temperature these past days were below 50s, even close to 42 at night but raising to 50+ during the day. This coming week is not supposed to be that cold but it will rain a lot.
As you can see it is changing color. Is that good or bad? The trichomes are still clear. It looks like it has not stopped growing with new leaves coming every week I go look.

IMG 3636
IMG 3637
IMG 3641
IMG 3642
IMG 3648
Autumn
Nijini

Nijini

fo
The temperature these past days were below 50s, even close to 42 at night but raising to 50+ during the day. This coming week is not supposed to be that cold but it will rain a lot.
As you can see it is changing color. Is that good or bad? The trichomes are still clear. It looks like it has not stopped growing with new leaves coming every week I go look.[/QUOTE

Forgot to ask something. Will frost harm the plant/flowers?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I personally have not had frost kill the plants, and I have tried to kill plants by leaving them out in the cold and snow. But I know others have had different experiences. I've had them live through temps as low as the mid-20s Fahrenheit with no obvious ill effects, and they were in 1gal pots. At this point, given the temperatures, any more growth should slow down or stop and she should just finish the flowers, so to speak.
As you can see it is changing color. Is that good or bad? The trichomes are still clear. It looks like it has not stopped growing with new leaves coming every week I go look.
The change of color is one of the metrics I use to gauge whether or not the plant is done, it's been a long, long time since I've really messed around with looking at the trichomes. Anthocyanins and other metabolites are the reason for the plant's appearance. I can see that she's got pistils turning brown, probably due to the cold is my guess, unless there's a chance there's a male close enough that he's pollinating her, but something tells me that's less likely.

Those temperatures are very cool, but not cold enough to kill her. They should force her to finish faster. How does she smell?

Nijini

Nijini

I personally have not had frost kill the plants, and I have tried to kill plants by leaving them out in the cold and snow. But I know others have had different experiences. I've had them live through temps as low as the mid-20s Fahrenheit with no obvious ill effects, and they were in 1gal pots. At this point, given the temperatures, any more growth should slow down or stop and she should just finish the flowers, so to speak.

The change of color is one of the metrics I use to gauge whether or not the plant is done, it's been a long, long time since I've really messed around with looking at the trichomes. Anthocyanins and other metabolites are the reason for the plant's appearance. I can see that she's got pistils turning brown, probably due to the cold is my guess, unless there's a chance there's a male close enough that he's pollinating her, but something tells me that's less likely.

Those temperatures are very cool, but not cold enough to kill her. They should force her to finish faster. How does she smell?
She doesn´t smell so much during the day unless I touch her. Then my fingers get very smelly, very sweet and the smell sticks to my fingers. There are no males around or close

Nijini

Nijini

My friends from Paraguay tell me not to kill her if I can because paraguayan weed has 2 years cycle, the second flowering being the best with highest yield. I don´t know about that but I will leave her there, there is no harm of having a hemp plant in that environment if it survives the winter :-)

Nijini

Nijini

It looks like it is still growing. The weather is no good now, with no sun at all. As we are in the clouds it is very misty. Some trichomes are amber and some are cloudy but most are cristal clear. I could not resist and harvested half of a lower branch today. It´s weight is 22 grams after I manicured it. I guess the weight will drop to 1/4th of now after it dries and cures. My room is very smelly now :-)

IMG 20151108 065411
IMG 20151109 145114
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Are you still limited to visiting it once a week? Inspect her closely, if you see any signs of molding or rot, any brown buds, it's time to g ahead and take her.

Nijini

Nijini

Are you still limited to visiting it once a week? Inspect her closely, if you see any signs of molding or rot, any brown buds, it's time to g ahead and take her.
I can go there often now(everyday as a matter of fact) but it is raining season so it is difficult to inspect for mold and many other things. The forecast for the next week is rain, rain and rain; with temperatures dropping for the next couple of days but then rising again. It will not drop so much this time like in the beginning of October. Temperature will be around the 50s. The biggest fan leaves are gone now but new ones, not so big, are still popping out and the older ones are turning yellow. As you can see it still looks very green and alive and very wet this being the rule now.
The little clone I made before and keep it outside my window to monitor the cold/frost/etc is still strong and looking good but no flowering at all. I will try to keep this one vegetative until I can put it out again in February. It is a cute little plant as I keep it in a very small milk carton.

IMG 20151108 064756
Top Bottom