PK Monster Closet | Deep water culture (dwc) | Gorilla Glue

• Thread starter PK1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PK1

PK1

Supporter
Welcome to my monster hydro closet. In here i've got 3ft width 6ft length and a 8ft ceiling.
I've got reflective styrofoam on the walls that is for now about 4 ft tall. I didn't put anything
on the floor as i wanted the temperature from the floor to cool the rez down. We don't have infloor heating.
2020-12-13 11.15.08.jpg

I wish i could fit 94 gallon toets next to each other but i couldn't and it would of made it a nightmare working in there.
So i had to go with a 54L toets so they can be next to each other. I've cut a circle in each lid and painted it black. I've also got reflective sheet on top of it.
2020-12-13 13.12.11.jpg
2020-12-13 13.30.07.jpg

The water temperature is monitored with a moisture/temp sensor which is inside the rez along with aquarium submersible fan. The thermostat has a heater and a cool plug which will activate depending on the settings you have. I've got it connected to my inlet fan that brings cold air from outside right to the outside of the outside of the rez

2020-12-13 14.25.38.jpg
2020-12-14 16.12.37.jpg

I'm not sure if i can mention these next few things and if not my apologies ahead of time and please remove this if not allowed.
I am running the TS1000 for now. This will be moved into my tent which will be for clones and or germination. The Monster closet is waiting upon a FC3000, but apparently it's held in shipping for the last few weeks. I also have a SP2000 which will be set into the closet when time comes and if the FC3000 has not arrived yet.

For nutrients i am using mega crop. However, i am using the two parts nutrient and not the single nutrient.
This is the first round that i am using Terpinator and if anyone has used this before i'd love to get some information and tips.

Here are the current settings
She is clay pebbles
ph 5.8 and i use a battery acid formula to reduce the ph
ppm 450
rez temp 19c
Z9 7.5ml Part A & Part B
Terpinator 5ml (to start with)
room temps/HR 24c/35% it is freezing outside so that's the best i can get the inside temps and humidity at.

2020-12-25 21.25.43.jpg

2020-12-24 16.44.24.jpg

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Welcome again. Battery acid formula to lower pH? Please elaborate. Looking good.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
@BurnzYzBudZz i drop 7ml of battery acid in 250ml of water then i take the mixed solvent and add as needed to my rez.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Here is a overview of the room and everything that consist in it
2020 12 26 094314

Here is how she looks today. I've topped her about a week a go and started the low stress training. Trying to slow her down so i can get the other branches to grow for a scrog net. plan is to get a even canopy between the two plants. However, i dnt think that will work depending on the growth of the 2nd plant
2020 12 26 094246

The 2nd seed in rockwool also showed it first set of leaves. I germinated this seed with the paper towel method and the roots were pretty long before i put her in the rockwool that i had to split in half. I splitted the rockwool in half just so the long root could be set properly and have no damage. After few days in the rockwool inside the dome, the roots grow out of the rockwool so i set it in a container with a airstone and tap water that was ph to 5.8. I also added .5ml of part A&B of Z9.

2020 12 26 094254

I noticed that the two seeds in the clear plastic cups that holds ProMix Hp have broken ground this morning. I've taken them out of the dome and placed them in 5 gallon cotton pot
2020 12 26 094302
2020 12 26 094258

PK1

PK1

Supporter
So sulfuric acid for Ph down. Only concerns on that is I would probably go with food grade. When sold for batteries I kinda feeling like it may have other additives that you don't want... but I could be wrong.
i was told sulfuric acid actually has no other additives like some other brands do. Most come with N nitrogen or K potassium.
The MC nutrients drop my tap water ph to 6.5 and with 8ml of mixed solution i get my ph to 5.8
I've noticed that it holds the ph at the lower rate for a longer time. I don't ph daily, but i do check the ph and ppm reader to make sure that the water environments are correct.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i was told sulfuric acid actually has no other additives like some other brands do. Most come with N nitrogen or K potassium.
The MC nutrients drop my tap water ph to 6.5 and with 8ml of mixed solution i get my ph to 5.8
I've noticed that it holds the ph at the lower rate for a longer time. I don't ph daily, but i do check the ph and ppm reader to make sure that the water environments are correct.
So thats tap water... sounds like it has a decent alkalinity so your getting a more stable ph.

I also use the mega crop 2 part. But use phosphoric acid for Ph down although I have considered switching to sulfuric for flower. Just will fot my ratios marginally better.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Its all depends on the brand. Sulfuric and phosphoric acid are IMO the 2 top choices for hydro. Nitric is to weak and citric reacts with bicarbonate to be absolutely useless for hydro.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Its all depends on the brand. Sulfuric and phosphoric acid are IMO the 2 top choices for hydro. Nitric is to weak and citric reacts with bicarbonate to be absolutely useless for hydro.
I've never used that stuff and really have no clue how it goes. I got the acid idea from a another grower from a diff site. It helped tremendously keeping the ph more stable.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've never used that stuff and really have no clue how it goes. I got the acid idea from a another grower from a diff site. It helped tremendously keeping the ph more stable.
Battery acid is sulfuric acid.

Reactions: PK1
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i had to go digging to find the formula but here it is.

7.5ml of acid into 92.5 litter of water gives you a clean ph down with no additional nitrogen or potassium

7.5/92.5 = 100/x
7.5x=9250
9250/7.5=1233.33333333
Yes but gives you sulfur.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
@Aquaman except chiller any other idea to keep the rez water on the lower temps? i'm using outside cold air to the outside of the toets but it wont bring it lower than 21.5c/70f

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aquaman except chiller any other idea to keep the rez water on the lower temps? i'm using outside cold air to the outside of the toets but it wont bring it lower than 21.5c/70f
I run mine at 72-73f I found to be the most optimal for growth. But you must run sterile or live at thise temps because any bacteria will have explosive reproduction there... good and bad.

The long touted myth that res temps above 68f are bad is just plain wrong. Pythium has many strains and many thrive at low temos also. The key is to have good control of the bacteria by either killing them all with a sterile system or providing beneficial ones that prevent and/or kill the undesired... if live you want bacillus amyloliquefaciens and I would suggest southern ag fungicide or hydrogaurd for that with the addition of enzymes you will have a very healthy and robust root system free from worry.

In regards to cooling a simple fan blowing on the water will cause evaporative cooling and will drop a few degrees. Can diy this or I have seen some for sale. Just need wind over the water and as it evaporates it cools the water.

Can also just rotate frozen water bottles. 500ml to 2 litre depending on how much cooling and how long they last.

Last edited:
PK1

PK1

Supporter
I run mine at 72-73f I found to be the most optimal for growth. But you must run sterile or live at thise temps because any bacteria will have explosive reproduction there... good and bad.

The long touted myth that res temps above 68f are bad is just plain wrong. Pythium has many strains and many thrive at low temos also. The key is to have good control of the bacteria by either killing them all with a sterile system or providing beneficial ones that prevent and/or kill the undersized... if live you want bacillus amyloliquefaciens and I would suggest southern ag fungicide or hydrogaurd for that with the addition of enzymes you will have a very healthy and robust root system free from worry.

In regards to cooling a simple fan blowing on the water will cause evaporative cooling and will drop a few degrees. Can diy this or I have seen some for sale. Just need wind over the water and as it evaporates it cools the water.

Can also just rotate frozen water bottles. 500ml to 2 litre depending on how much cooling and how long they last.
i had a 4" dryer vent duct that was going right throw the lid and cooling the rez water to 18c, but i think the volume of air that was going in was making the roots stop growing. I've had it off for couple days and the temps during the day get to 22c/73f and as low as 21c/69f

now, that you mention air hitting the water, made me wonder if the root grow has anything to do with the air. here is how it used to look before i moved it to the back of the rez which is on the outside.
2020 12 24 164349
2020 12 24 164334

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i had a 4" dryer vent duct that was going right throw the lid and cooling the rez water to 18c, but i think the volume of air that was going in was making the roots stop growing. I've had it off for couple days and the temps during the day get to 22c/73f and as low as 21c/69f

now, that you mention air hitting the water, made me wonder if the root grow has anything to do with the air. here is how it used to look before i moved it to the back of the rez which is on the outside.
View attachment 1072169 View attachment 1072170
Yeah you dont want it blowing on the roots... it will air prune them and make them susceptibleto infections.. probably only an option if you had a seperate res.

PK1

PK1

Supporter

The long touted myth that res temps above 68f are bad is just plain wrong. Pythium has many strains and many thrive at low temos also. The key is to have good control of the bacteria by either killing them all with a sterile system or providing beneficial ones that prevent and/or kill the undesired... if live you want bacillus amyloliquefaciens and I would suggest southern ag fungicide or hydrogaurd for that with the addition of enzymes you will have a very healthy and robust root system free from worry.

hydroguard has to do with enzymes? so essentially add more enzymes for higher temps?
i used to use hydrozyme which wasn't doing much but the z9 seems to be doing well.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
i don't have much build ups yet or signs of root problem. However, it does say to add 1/2ml of each part every 3 days.

Top Bottom