Plants from seed produce more than clones?

• Thread starter Tony69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Yeah I only veg indoors...I have some young seedlings (near puberty)..that are about to go Outside....was wondering what they are gonna do with the 11 3/4 hours of light out there..o_O
after being inside under 18 hour (what ever they do I will go with it )

Hmmm.....11 3/4 hours of light, thats a tough one :banghead: I'll search Google and try to come back with an answer for you bro.

Shamus

Shamus

I'd say use supplemental lighting if you can or try and hold off.. I put mine too early out in the spring last year and delayed everything by about a month n a week or two while waiting for them to reveg.. or u could consider it your training for them I guess. if its no biggy about um then I guess throw em out but they'll prolly flip. don't know if this is what u were curious about but that's just my experience with this time of year-ish

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I'd say use supplemental lighting if you can or try and hold off.. I put mine too early out in the spring last year and delayed everything by about a month n a week or two while waiting for them to reveg.. or u could consider it your training for them I guess. if its no biggy about um then I guess throw em out but they'll prolly flip. don't know if this is what u were curious about but that's just my experience with this time of year-ish
Yeah I hear Ya Shamus....I am putting them outside because I want them to flower...
I will cover them (light dep) the last 30 days or so to make sure they stay in flower and dont reveg.
I know the clones Im putting out will flower right away

....What Im not sure about are the Seedlings.

this is still on topic..because I am going to prove that Seedlings produce more than clones..;)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
these two plants are the same strain.(ewok) One is a cut from a cut of the plant the F2 seeds came from to make the seedling seen here.
Both are really close to the same age...I will grow them side by side and show the results;)
View attachment 290260
:)

the Clone is about the same size ...but the Seedling has grown!!

I will get new pictures of both soon

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I kinda figured ken wanted them to flower so I was being sarcastic about the Google search.....I should have put 'lol' or something at the end of my post.

Your right though, plants could (and alot will) re-veg as the days get longer.

S

shaneshultis

one very useful trick with seeds are while in veg run your main light 18/6 0r 24straight when needing to sex them cut light back and use a pure blue led for when the light should be off. your plant will still veg and will sex itself as in veg will show sex in 24 days at most

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
as Promised, I am going to prove that seedlings kick ass on clones

The Cut on the left was rooted at the same time as the seedling on the right was germed.
Both from the same Mother plant.
Sidebysideewoks3 2

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
True, well bred seeds should exhibit far less genetic variation than say, bagseed. There will still be some variation, which of course can be desirable, but let's face it, when we find the mother of all mothers, we want to clone the shit out of her because she's so damned rockin'! :D
I liked this post when I 1st read it..still do..
But I wanted to add; I found a Aewsome Mother Ewok
(grapefruit hairspray almost takes your breath away)
Now I need to find a male with that smell....Until then...yeah Im taking lots of cuts!! :D

P

paulycali

Yeah I only veg indoors...I have some young seedlings (near puberty)..that are about to go Outside....was wondering what they are gonna do with the 11 3/4 hours of light out there..o_O
after being inside under 18 hour (what ever they do I will go with it )

Probably start budding. I don't think it's time yet. You may need supplemental lighting

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Probably start budding. I don't think it's time yet. You may need supplemental lighting
Thanks Pauly...I plan to use sup light on the clones and seedlings I want to keep in veg.
If they start to bud...I am going to light dep them...:)
I actually want them to flower now....But if they dont...thats cool too.

I do have volunteer seedlings that have been growing up out of the ground the past few months ,.
Been snowed on too...I dont think they will flower till august

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

that girl being grown from seed with dominate the rest of the clone plants, Growing from seed does do alot more then produce good clones:).....i honestly think many people would be more pleased if they grew from seed more often, i know its a pain in the ass but the genetics are much more viable.....glad to see some outdoors shots ken......take it easy

rumblen

rumblen

Outdoors I always run seeds unless I happen to have extra clones and extra space then whatever. Indoors it becomes an issue of space and time so clones are naturally the better choice.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Does a plant from seed produce more than a clone? Since a cloned plant has a singular staggered branching pattern at each internode. A plant from seed has two branches at each internode spacing.

Not an easy answer as your talking yield, which will produce more a clone or seed. The short answer is maybe, most likely a seed will. But if the clone is identical than they should be equal.

I have grow clones outside and seeds and have not noticed one is better than the other. Now having said that I have had some plants grow much bigger than there siblings but just see that as an act of nature.

Popular belief is that a clone is an exact copy of the donor plant, well almost all the time it is, but mutations happen.

Scientists have known for some time that ‘clonal’ (regenerant) organisms are not always identical: their observable characteristics and traits can vary, and this variation can be passed on to the next generation. This is despite the fact that they are derived from genetically identical founder cells.
Now, a team from Oxford University, UK, and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, believe they have found out why this is the case in plants: the genomes of regenerant plants carry relatively high frequencies of new DNA sequence mutations that were not present in the genome of the donor plant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom