Plants in veg droopy AND have purple stems. Help asap

• Thread starter Nebula357
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Nebula357

So I noticed that some of my plants now have droopy leaves constantly and are starting to purple on the stems. I'm thinking it was due to the transplant into black and gold soil or maybe something else. I got some fox farms the other day to help out with some other plants I have. But I'm wondering why they leaves are drooping. My strongest plant that's 3x the size of the other started to droop its leaves due to the sun going from sunny to partially cloudy so I moved ALL plants indoors and am awaiting for them to go back to normal. What should I do to help them out?

Wolfe

Wolfe

Can you post a picture if you don’t mind?
It will help with diagnosing the plants
that are having problems. Maybe a pic of the soil as well?

N

Nebula357

The bottom one was not droopy a few days ago but decided to droop as of yesterday. Sun has been down:( so hopefully itll fix that one but the others I'm scared for.

N

Nebula357

Can you post a picture if you don’t mind?
It will help with diagnosing the plants
that are having problems. Maybe a pic of the soil as well?

Half black and gold and half of another organic soil. I also tried flushing one of them and it didn't do much.

WankirA

WankirA

Hey there @Nebula357 welcome to thcf, Is PH a thing for you, by that i mean have been testing your water/feed to make sure its in the magic range!

Wolfe

Wolfe

I would start at ph testing water and maybe running a filter on your water to remove at least chlorine. You could add a little nitrogen boost to kick start it. Maybe kelp meal or feather meal, guano, trace minerals... You can use dolomite as a ph buffer also. And Epson salt can prevent some early yellowing of leaves.

N

Nebula357

I would start at ph testing water and maybe running a filter on your water to remove at least chlorine. You could add a little nitrogen boost to kick start it. Maybe kelp meal or feather meal, guano, trace minerals... You can use dolomite as a ph buffer also. And Epson salt can prevent some early yellowing of leaves.
I have some Epsom salt water ready. 4 cups/4th a table spoon for the morning. At the moment I use well water/mineral water and it may be the problem. So tomorrow morning should I re transplant any of the plants into fox farms or no? And I'll have to buy a ph tester later I guess.

N

Nebula357

Hey there @Nebula357 welcome to thcf, Is PH a thing for you, by that i mean have been testing your water/feed to make sure its in the magic range!
I'll have to order some tests tomorrow morning then. But for now should I re-transplant any into fox farms dirt?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Fox Farms can be pretty hot out of the bag and I have seen a lot of posts from newer growers who had problems after using some of their mediums. Smaller plants don't ve the root system in place and they didn't grow up in it, so it could shock them somewhat. I think they will recover after a few days when the roots grow in a little and get used to the nutrients in the soil. I wouldn't feed it anything until you figure out if they are being overfed. Changes in Ph can also cause issues with nutrients, as different nutrients are avail at different Ph ranges, and if you get outside of the range, it will look like a deficiency or an imbalance. A PPM meter might help to see how much nutrients you have (or maybe the FF bag?) and a Ph test will help to figure it out. Otherwise, I think it will eventually recover, although it might take a spell.

WankirA

WankirA

And I'll have to buy a ph tester
If youre in a jam a ph drop test is only a few $ and can get it for testing aquarium equip so maybe an easy get if youhave to order a meter of internet. It not terribly precise but will get you in to a correct'range'
So if your PH range is out you could have a nutrient lock out, plant can only taking specific nutrients at specific level.
Hope the graphic helps. Though for hydro systemsit illustrates the problem. Think the soil version allows a buffer of a couple of points up from 6.1 to 6.5 or so.
Screenshot 20190706 081218

N

Nebula357

Fox Farms can be pretty hot out of the bag and I have seen a lot of posts from newer growers who had problems after using some of their mediums. Smaller plants don't ve the root system in place and they didn't grow up in it, so it could shock them somewhat. I think they will recover after a few days when the roots grow in a little and get used to the nutrients in the soil. I wouldn't feed it anything until you figure out if they are being overfed. Changes in Ph can also cause issues with nutrients, as different nutrients are avail at different Ph ranges, and if you get outside of the range, it will look like a deficiency or an imbalance. A PPM meter might help to see how much nutrients you have (or maybe the FF bag?) and a Ph test will help to figure it out. Otherwise, I think it will eventually recover, although it might take a spell.
A spell would he nice but it's been a while sence iv played skyrim so I'm rusty at the moment. But I just ordered a water ph test kit(200) and a soil ph test kit. I have some water ready for if I want to add magnesium to it but I'm still debating on that.
Once the strips are here(Monday) I'm going to determine on gettin PH up and PH down(ph kit off of amazon) so what should I do in the meantime? Use the magnesium water in morn? Re transplant or is that a bad idea?

N

Nebula357

If youre in a jam a ph drop test is only a few $ and can get it for testing aquarium equip so maybe an easy get if youhave to order a meter of internet. It not terribly precise but will get you in to a correct'range'
So if your PH range is out you could have a nutrient lock out, plant can only taking specific nutrients at specific level.
Hope the graphic helps. Though for hydro systemsit illustrates the problem. Think the soil version allows a buffer of a couple of points up from 6.1 to 6.5 or so.
View attachment 879355
At the moment I ordered a 200ct water ph and a soil tester what can I do as of now to make sure they make it another week so I can diagnose them?
My options atm are:
-Magnesium water from Epsom salt
-synthetics for nutrients. [Cutting edge solitions]
-some "plant food" pellets
-fox farms soil(would have to re transplant by taking out of pots and getting rid of the dirt I used to transplant a few days ago)

Wolfe

Wolfe

I used fox farm long ago, I can remember it was a finicky with nutrients and had nat problems. But just about all soil brands can have nat problems. If I remember correctly I hardly used nutrients for the start and then had to add it when the plants were teens. But sometimes plants would show nutrient deficiency early and I would have to start feeding earlier. That was always my experience with that stuff. Ocean Forrest or whatever else, I can’t even remember anymore. My soil is recycled promix mainly and other soils in a compost each year. But pro mix worked as a good soil builder for me. Lots of ways to skin the cat. Also I forgot to say, if you add all the stuff I mentioned. Only use water!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I would wait it out to see how your plants recover, or don't, over the next few days. If they continue to deteriorate and you are pretty sure they are dying, then I would re-plant them into a more neutral medium. Using care and water to wash the roots off will help to avoid root damage. I wouldn't use anything on them until you get some test results, although a foliar application of CalMag is OK, just go easy on everything until you determine what the problem is. You can easily add nutrients, but getting them out is tough. If they are on the edge of being overfed, using any type of nutrients might push them over the edge. I think your problem is a combination of transplant shock and encountering such a hot soil. After a few days, the roots should regrow and adjust to their new home. If not...

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

^ all this, plus if you have a foxfarm soil products available it will start feeding your plants all by itself, just make sure you get your water pH adjusted to 6.5 (most important step!) and if you need to treat for magnesium a *tablespoon epsom per gallon sprayed on the leaves over 2 or 3 applications usually corrects the issue, though I would make the first two changes before I sprayed anyting, & *check that mix ratio somewhere though I haven't used it in over a year but I believe that was what I used

I've seen people use Black Gold very successfully but you say you mixed it with some other soil? However I suspect your mail issue is a pH lockout.

Couple of other things: Those of us who use tap water usually leave it sit for 24 hours, in my opinion strips are better than drops & a quality pH meter's better than anyting, and a $10 PPM meter will help you out as well, this is minimally required gear, good luck![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Wolfe

Wolfe

I was talking about doing a topsoil mix and stirring it just a bit in your soil and not doing a foliar feed. I just put it in dry on top if it needs something. I use a tall boy filter. You can oxygenate the water and let
It set also. It helps .. And I agree with Jimster. Letting the roots get accustomed to the new pot should solve the issue. However, fox farm is diverse and they have a lot of ratios going on in each type they sell. Which one specifically is it? This may be able to tell us more about the NPK ratios being used.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I was talking about doing a topsoil mix and stirring it just a bit in your soil and not doing a foliar feed. I just put it in dry on top of it needs something. I agree with Jimster.
Letting the roots get accustomed to the new pot should solve the issue. However, fox farm is diverse and they have a lot of ratios going on in each type they sell. Which one specifically is it? This may be able to tell us more about the NPK ratios being used.
Thanks for the clarification I've never applied epsom that way I've only fed & foliar fed so I can't comment on that application method

Regarding Fox Farms I disagree. I've used ffof for 4 years and I've lost only one seedling and I suspect that's because it sat on a clump that I hadn't carefully broken up while mixing in the perlite

in my opinion he could successfully use that or the Happy Frog blend but everybody has their own opinions of various products, however there's a reason why foxfarm is so popular, good luck

N

Nebula357

I would wait it out to see how your plants recover, or don't, over the next few days. If they continue to deteriorate and you are pretty sure they are dying, then I would re-plant them into a more neutral medium. Using care and water to wash the roots off will help to avoid root damage. I wouldn't use anything on them until you get some test results, although a foliar application of CalMag is OK, just go easy on everything until you determine what the problem is. You can easily add nutrients, but getting them out is tough. If they are on the edge of being overfed, using any type of nutrients might push them over the edge. I think your problem is a combination of transplant shock and encountering such a hot soil. After a few days, the roots should regrow and adjust to their new home. If not...
Yeah hopefully. And wdym a "hot" soil? At the moment I have black and gold with another slik in it so idk

N

Nebula357

^ all this, plus if you have a foxfarm soil products available it will start feeding your plants all by itself, just make sure you get your water pH adjusted to 6.5 (most important step!) and if you need to treat for magnesium a *tablespoon epsom per gallon sprayed on the leaves over 2 or 3 applications usually corrects the issue, though I would make the first two changes before I sprayed anyting, & *check that mix ratio somewhere though I haven't used it in over a year but I believe that was what I used

I've seen people use Black Gold very successfully but you say you mixed it with some other soil? However I suspect your mail issue is a pH lockout.

Couple of other things: Those of us who use tap water usually leave it sit for 24 hours, in my opinion strips are better than drops & a quality pH meter's better than anyting, and a $10 PPM meter will help you out as well, this is minimally required gear, good luck!
[/QUOTE]
Dr. Gold pot of gold potting soil × black and gold organic watered with mineral/well water with an unknown ph level

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Dr. Gold pot of gold potting soil × black and gold organic watered with mineral/well water with an unknown ph level
[/QUOTE]
I looked your product up, (did you mean Dr Earth?) and it seems like a fine product. The lime green color of your plants makes me suspect you have a lockout because your water is off in some way, likely pH, you'll need to check the ph and PPM of your water source and make appropriate adjustments.

Top Bottom