Please assist me? Ugh

• Thread starter ThatCrazyStonerChick
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FourthCity

FourthCity

How can you tell by looking at this what the true wattage is?
Curious about what the actual power drawn is but you get what you pay for, I'd defo say stear well clear too cheap and ive never even heard of that manufacturer, if it's too good to be true, it usually is, do not get that
Its 224 watts, from description:
"【Long Life Led Chips & Advanced Cooling System】This efficient 10W double chips LED light with scientific engineering to keep excellent lumen balance. It is an energy saving LED light with a long lifespan, producing more usable and bright light for plants to photosynthesize food with ease.And compares to traditional HPS/MH while consuming only 224 watts. Multiple high-speed mute fans and upgraded aluminum radiators enable the light bulb to work at 50°F to 60°F. "

Avoid the blurple lights, look for leds with white light like hlg, timber, spider farmer, etc. Typical price will be between $.95-$1.25 per watt for most decent leds.

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

"【Long Life Led Chips & Advanced Cooling System】This efficient 10W double chips LED light with scientific engineering to keep excellent lumen balance. It is an energy saving LED light with a long lifespan, producing more usable and bright light for plants to photosynthesize food with ease.And compares to traditional HPS/MH while consuming only 224 watts. Multiple high-speed mute fans and upgraded aluminum radiators enable the light bulb to work at 50°F to 60°F. "

their ad must be satire, probably the only almost true claim is the power draw & I bet its still lower than they claim. There is no real science behind this light, it wasn't engineered much at all, its a basic copied over & over design that is way outdated by 2-3 years now...lol

ThatCrazyStonerChick

ThatCrazyStonerChick

His info is correct. I tried to explain it back on page one about the original soil mix the op was using.

Now too many irons in the fire to help.
Nah. I appreciate the input. It doesn't mean I'm going to do everything that's suggested to me. But, some of it makes a lot of sense after it's explained. Like ph, which I agree with. It's logical. My soil sucked and my ph was too low. Now I have growth. I'll never let either of those 2 slide again because of my personal experience.

ThatCrazyStonerChick

ThatCrazyStonerChick

Avoid the blurple lights, look for leds with white light like hlg, timber, spider farmer, etc. Typical price will be between $.95-$1.25 per watt for most decent leds.
I thought that comment had to do with power usage. I'll look at them on Amazon.

ThatCrazyStonerChick

ThatCrazyStonerChick

Who is she ignoring? I hope it's not me, and yes P.H. of your medium is a soil issue, hydro grows have to be dialed in, soil is forgiving unless you over nute or start with too hot a mix. But keep P.H within a 6.0 - 6.8 has always worked for me. (Run off PH).
I've been ph'ing as close to 6.8 as I can get and will continue to do so. I started using tap though.

ThatCrazyStonerChick

ThatCrazyStonerChick

Thank you. I appreciate the explanation.

ThatCrazyStonerChick

ThatCrazyStonerChick

Ok, well I was just about to order 3 of those lights, aiming for a total of 5 in an approximate space of 7x5. What is ENOUGH lighting for this space without being overkill or ridiculously expensive?

ThatCrazyStonerChick

ThatCrazyStonerChick

I just checked this light. Is this seriously the cost of decent lighting?? How many would I need?? This is double.

Screenshot 20200216 144401 Amazon Shopping
FourthCity

FourthCity

their ad must be satire, probably the only almost true claim is the power draw & I bet its still lower than they claim. There is no real science behind this light, it wasn't engineered much at all, its a basic copied over & over design that is way outdated by 2-3 years now...lol
Relax man, just answering a question.

FourthCity

FourthCity

I just checked this light. Is this seriously the cost of decent lighting?? How many would I need?? This is double.
My opinion is to shoot for about 40-50 watts per sqft for flowering and around 25 for veg if you have separate areas. It takes a little experience as well as being pretty dialed in to take advantage of the top end of that wattage and even then, most of the grow the lights will be dimmed. Less doesn't mean you can't grow decent plants but more than that would definitely be overkill, under 30 in flower and you will be sacrificing quality and yield even as a beginner. If the lights are giving you sticker shock I always recommend to start with fewer lights and plants, get a little experience under you belt, and when you feel more confident with your skills invest in expanding your grow. As far of the value of the recommended lights, they are worth twice as much as the cheap ones, they perform that much better and last that much longer.

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

HOLY $#@&($!!!
these Mars lights tested OK, better than other Mars lights, something like a 1.85 efficiency. They are well built, has a waterproof covering/coating on the led's, it would take a minimum of 2 of them to cover a 4x4 or 1 to cover a 2x4 area. Its 10x better than the first light you posted. Independent testers liked the results, not the greatest but at the price it's pretty good for a plug & play LED light
https://www.amazon.com/MARS-HYDRO-Hydroponic-Greenhouse-Commercial/dp/B07PDFWLVK?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Last edited:
FourthCity

FourthCity

these Mars lights tested OK, better than other Mars lights, something like a 1.85 efficiency. They are well built, has a waterproof covering/coating on the led's, it would take a minimum of 2 of them to cover a 4x4 or 1 to cover a 2x4 area. Its 10x better than the first light you posted. Independent testers liked the results, not the greatest but at the price it's pretty good for a plug & play light

https://www.amazon.com/MARS-HYDRO-Hydroponic-Greenhouse-Commercial/dp/B07PDFWLVK?ref_=ast_sto_dp
My biggest gripe with the mars hydro lights compared to the other ones I mentioned is that the mars has epistar diodes where the rest have samsung, but the mars isnt any less expensive. I think it's a good option for people in markets where better lights aren't available but I feel like its still a tough sell in the US at their msrp with the inferior diodes.

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

My biggest gripe with the mars hydro lights compared to the other ones I mentioned is that the mars has epistar diodes where the rest have samsung, but the mars isnt any less expensive. I think it's a good option for people in markets where better lights aren't available but I feel like its still a tough sell in the US at their msrp with the inferior diodes.
well I wouldn't buy one...lol, if I was forced to use them I wouldn't feel too bad & yes there are just as good if not better deals out there I agree.. the inferior diodes is what gets the lower 1.85 efficiency because they actually use a pretty efficient Meanwell driver

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It would be great if you could get a tall couple of plants going. I use HID but often get plants 7 ft tall and the yield and size of buds/colas is nearly as big as outdoors. For my setup, vertical HID provides enough top and side light... I don't think a LED setup would provide as much coverage. A 600 watt HID light would work great for your tent, bu since you don't have as much head room, the LED option would probably be best. I would try for a 1000w equivalent... or about 600 watts draw at the wall. They LOVE light!

Top Bottom