Please help - electrical question

• Thread starter Durio_OG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Durio_OG

I want to say you guys are all pretty awesome. I am grateful I stumbled into this forum full of friendly and knowledgeable folks.

Ponky

Ponky

Well. It's going to be a challenge. You're going to need to very precise and clean to make sure the first one goes good. After the 3rd and 4th one it will be fine. And you must and I mean must start with the best genetics you can get your hands on. For yield and resistance to fungus. The reason we use the 8 plug units was cost and the fact we could use affordable breakers. Luckily there is solid genetics here to choose from. In clone form even.

D

Durio_OG

Well. It's going to be a challenge. You're going to need to very precise and clean to make sure the first one goes good. After the 3rd and 4th one it will be fine. And you must and I mean must start with the best genetics you can get your hands on. For yield and resistance to fungus. The reason we use the 8 plug units was cost and the fact we could use affordable breakers. Luckily there is solid genetics here to choose from. In clone form even.
Absolutely. Thank you for the advice.

Platinum OG is supposed to be relatively easy to grow and high in demand in our area. Ice cream is harder to grow but also high in demand. I was thinking of starting off with Platinum OG on the first few grows. It is supposed to be mold and mildew resistant. What are some of the things I should watch out for?

Once I get the hang of it, I'll move on to ice cream. What type of genetic would you recommend?

Ponky

Ponky

Absolutely. Thank you for the advice.

Platinum OG is supposed to be relatively easy to grow and high in demand in our area. Ice cream is harder to grow but also high in demand. I was thinking of starting off with Platinum OG on the first few grows. It is supposed to be mold and mildew resistant. What are some of the things I should watch out for?

Once I get the hang of it, I'll move on to ice cream. What type of genetic would you recommend?
Low class friends. Asshole neighbour's. Low level thieves. Mold of course. Bugs. Lazy watering guy. Sticky fingers trimmers. Lets just say we weigh the wet and dry weight. Ummm. Wire fire on the road if the power isn't approved. It also causes wires to droop if it's not normally pulling juice. So branches. For genetics those are regional. But don't go for overly large buds. Look for high terpenes. And stuff people really buy the most of. Which isn't always the best strain. Some big load of hippy dippy tootie fruity might be really premium. But people might only want stanky kush. The kush moves. All at once usually. Also filter that smell. So it's controlled.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

I want to say you guys are all pretty awesome. I am grateful I stumbled into this forum full of friendly and knowledgeable folks.
You never grew any bud in you life? And are you going 16kw first run? Are you going to do all by yourself without any consulting or a experienced grower/associate?

I mean it's not impossible, but it's a recipe for fuckery.

You definetly are trying to eat more than you can chew.

If you are low on money and fuck your first run the money in electric bill alone will be overwhelming to say the least.

I've done some big ops over the years, But I would never let a friend of mine do what you are about to do first time. Start like a normal person with 1 light and see what you can do. If you have the green thumb and shit gets good, scale that shit to 4 lights, than after flipping the 4 lights product scale it up again to 16lights. But obviously make the wiring installation with the 16 lights in mind tho.. that cost upfront is a good call.

Btw where you gonna clone, veg and keep your mothers?

Your plan is bold, you alone without experience will be a insane task to take on, sincerily.

Last edited:
Ponky

Ponky

You never grew any bud in you life? And are you going 16kw first run? Are you going to do all by yourself without any consulting or a experienced grower/associate?
Valid question. That's a job right there

Powerstroke

Powerstroke

I am preparing for a 20x20' space and plan on using 16 LED units that are about 1100 watts each. I am new to indoor growing and I am pretty inept with in electrical so what I am going to ask will probably sound stupid.

What is the proper way to power these lights?

Is it OK to have a dedicated 20 amp breaker for each individual light and timer with the remaining load to power ancillary equipment (fans, filters, etc)?
Yes, I would put each light on it's own dedicated circuit. The draw is only 9 amps, but you might want a fan or something else nearby. Don't cheap out and go with a 15 amp circuit and breaker, you might go bigger in the future and that would suck to re-feed all those lights!

Edit: Assuming you are actually drawing 1100 watts.

D

Durio_OG

I mean it's not impossible, but it's a recipe for fuckery.

You definetly are trying to eat more than you can chew.

If you are low on money and fuck your first run the money in electric bill alone will be overwhelming to say the least.

I've done some big ops over the years, But I would never let a friend of mine do what you are about to do first time. Start like a normal person with 1 light and see what you can do. If you have the green thumb and shit gets good, scale that shit to 4 lights, than after flipping the 4 lights product scale it up again to 16lights. But obviously make the wiring installation with the 16 lights in mind tho.. that cost upfront is a good call.

Btw where you gonna clone, veg and keep your mothers?

Your plan is bold, you alone without experience will be a insane task to take on, sincerily.
I grew outdoor before. Results were decent. I used the fox farm soil and my own organic plant based ferts. I am an experienced gardener. I've been growing rare tropical fruits for the last 15 years. Its a different class of plants but the amount of manual labor involved is far greater than indoor herb growing. I got grit for the labor and to bridge the knowledge gap.

I have a friend that is doing the same in a 20x20 space for two years (the guy with the cheap china led light) but they dont have the electrical knowledge and only follow basic growing procedures without really knowing the logic behind the growing process. They are doing OK. I can compare some notes and learn from each other bit by bit.

I am aware of the electrical cost. I reserved enough dry powder for at least 2-3 runs. I'll have to plan everything the best I could without any screwups.

D

Durio_OG

For clones and mothers, I have a spare storage room that will fit 4 4x8 with some room to keep nutrients, equipment, etc. I probably wont convert this until after 2-3 runs.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

I grew outdoor before. Results were decent. I used the fox farm soil and my own organic plant based ferts. I am an experienced gardener. I've been growing rare tropical fruits for the last 15 years. Its a different class of plants but the amount of manual labor involved is far greater than indoor herb growing. I got grit for the labor and to bridge the knowledge gap.

I have a friend that is doing the same in a 20x20 space for two years (the guy with the cheap china led light) but they dont have the electrical knowledge and only follow basic growing procedures without really knowing the logic behind the growing process. They are doing OK. I can compare some notes and learn from each other bit by bit.

I am aware of the electrical cost. I reserved enough dry powder for at least 2-3 runs. I'll have to plan everything the best I could without any screwups.
I think you are underestimating the labor involved in a 16kw build, grow management, harvesting, drying, trimming, curing and last of all flipping it tho. But ok. This is no joke, it can be pretty rough, I tell you.

Anyways, I wish you the best grows possible and that everything runs smoothly on your endeavors. The secret to sucess is the secret, be as low profile as you can, be VERY knowledgeable of who gonna buy the product is all I will say here.

Good luck mate.

Last edited:
Ponky

Ponky

Also a bull pup and back up carry. Got a good spread. Because you know risk and all.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

I am preparing for a 20x20' space and plan on using 16 LED units that are about 1100 watts each. I am new to indoor growing and I am pretty inept with in electrical so what I am going to ask will probably sound stupid.

What is the proper way to power these lights?

Is it OK to have a dedicated 20 amp breaker for each individual light and timer with the remaining load to power ancillary equipment (fans, filters, etc)?
How much actual draw from LED's 1100w x 16 seems 10x overkill for a 20 x 20 EDIT>(did the math too fast this may be legit, 500-850w per 25sqft led or 1000w hps 25 sq ft for 20 by 20 think i did 10 x 10)<EDIT... Like some people posted maybe they are actual 100w actual draw? (it should say amps draw on circuit for both or either 120v or 240v.
And are you going 120v or 240v?

--->Also please note that you need 12 gauge wire for 20amp regardless of voltage if I'm not mistaken. <---Make sure you do this. And I belive all plugs should be rated for breaker size 20amp one slit will be shaped like a t. It maybe possible to run a few circuits at 15 amp could be more financially feasable let us know the power draw for each. Thanks.

EDIT (Remeber to size your load at max 80% of breaker size, 20 amp = 16 amp worth of lights.) And you will need some heady duty controllers if not on lights.

Last edited:
Powerstroke

Powerstroke

How much actual draw from LED's 1100w x 16 seems 10x overkill for a 20 x 20 EDIT>(did the math too fast this may be legit, 500-850w per 25sqft led or 1000w hps 25 sq ft for 20 by 20 think i did 10 x 10)<EDIT... Like some people posted maybe they are actual 100w actual draw? (it should say amps draw on circuit for both or either 120v or 240v.
And are you going 120v or 240v?

--->Also please note that you need 12 gauge wire for 20amp regardless of voltage if I'm not mistaken. <---Make sure you do this. And I belive all plugs should be rated for breaker size 20amp one slit will be shaped like a t. It maybe possible to run a few circuits at 15 amp could be more financially feasable let us know the power draw for each. Thanks.

EDIT (Remeber to size your load at max 80% of breaker size, 20 amp = 16 amp worth of lights.) And you will need some heady duty controllers if not on lights.
That's sound advice. Use 20amp rated receptacles and 20 amp breakers. THHN wire 12ga is required. T

HighVoltageSparky

HighVoltageSparky

One note here from the last posts, if you pull 20A through a 2,5 square cable, you cannot put this in a bundle with 4 other cables, as you would screw up the amount of amps the cables can handle. This is called a group reduction factor, which you subtract to the amount of amps the cable can handle. Your cables could burn everything down before the fuses ever pop 😄

But, I believe OP has mentioned that he wants sparkies for this job. If he can find a 100 or 1000 watts lights he wants : = ) He could save on the money and pull the cables himself, but this seems like an unpopular opinion : = )

When i worked as a service electrician, I constantly came to finished pulled cables and sockets. Personally i loved coming to a finished table and just connect everything. And just go over the work, see if everything is in order.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

One note here from the last posts, if you pull 20A through a 2,5 square cable, you cannot put this in a bundle with 4 other cables, as you would screw up the amount of amps the cables can handle. This is called a group reduction factor, which you subtract to the amount of amps the cable can handle. Your cables could burn everything down before the fuses ever pop 😄

But, I believe OP has mentioned that he wants sparkies for this job. If he can find a 100 or 1000 watts lights he wants : = ) He could save on the money and pull the cables himself, but this seems like an unpopular opinion : = )

When i worked as a service electrician, I constantly came to finished pulled cables and sockets. Personally i loved coming to a finished table and just connect everything. And just go over the work, see if everything is in order.
Thanks for that info!

Top Bottom