Please HELP!! Nervous... Need Advice (propagation)

• Thread starter ScrOGer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

ScrOGer

So my friend contaminated his last round of cuttings, by dipping directly into the container of root tech. mold spread around and he lost all 24 of his cuttings. he lost a couple the last round, so I assume he contaminated the gel, by dipping directly into it, therfore left the bacteria in the container to fester for a few months. then he dipped in the container again and lost all his cuts this time.

He picked up some dip n grow. I used it for years, so I said get it. it's cheap and works. i used it in a cloner (areoponic) with 100% success. He uses starter rockwool cubes, in a dome.

So this is where the nervousness kicks in. it's been about 6 days. tomorrow night will be 7 days. It should take 7-10 days to see roots pop thru a rockwool starter cube, right?

The situation:

They were cut on a 45 deg angle, dipped for about 15-20 secs and placed into a pre-soaked cube (shaken after soak to release excess water prior to placing a cutting into it).

placed into a dome, with a fluoro over top. sprayed with tap water twice a day (morning and night).

Here are a few pics. There is NO yellowing. just a reaction to the fluoro and my camera phone. they look healthy, but my patient friend has anxiety issues, and will prob start to freak out tomorrow night. I know he will, and he'll blame me for the failure. As he already stated that the only reason why I used dip n grow was b/c you said it works. as we all know it does. and works well.

please reply with your input. especially if you think it's all good.

I appreciate it. I will feel bad, if they dont root. that would mean he lost 48 cuts, and his moms are ravaged. So he'll have to buy cuts, or will guilt me into doing it.

the strain is jack herrer.

I appreciate your reply, my fellow farmers.

Adams clones 1jpg
Adams clone 2jpg
Adams clones 3jpg
S

Sea Of Green

I use Dip'N Grow on a regular basis. Have for a long long time. Great stuff. I use about an 18x dilution now, but the full 20x works too. And 6 days is pretty much as fast as I've ever been able to get one rooting with it. That's with good root zone heating too. Without it can take anywhere from 7 to 14 days depending on average air/medium temps(14 days is the longest I've seen it take, with consistent average air/medium temp ~65°F). The other variable being strain, the strain I grow is considered easy to clone. Don't know about the Jack Herer. If it isn't then plan on a day or to more than what I've stated(to be on the safe side).

Tell him to chill. He's cool. They look like they're doing fine so far to me. Shouldn't be too much longer now. Keep 'em warm...

S

ScrOGer

Tell him to chill. He's cool. They look like they're doing fine so far to me. Shouldn't be too much longer now. Keep 'em warm...

Thanks for the support SeaOfGreen. I feel a ton better right now. they are warm. temps around 65-70. and He has them in an area that is getting natural sunlight too, from a window (west facing).

Thanks again SOG!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
hey man they look fine

I like to open them up every day and wash/wipe down the domes and spray them with fresh water (just the domes not the plants)

dip n grow is the shit - but DONT get it on your skin - wear gloves when handling this shit

if your not using a heat mat clones can take longer and some cuts as long as 2 weeks to root - so as long as they look good and dont dry out you should be fine

S

Sea Of Green

they are warm. temps around 65-70.
That's not too bad, and should work just fine. But I've found that a tad warmer will usually speed things up a little, say around 70°-75°F range. But I haven't seen much, if any, improvement at temps any higher than that really. It seems like once you get above ~75°F they don't root any quicker, but it won't do them any harm either. I will, in fact, let them get as warm as the room I keep them in gets(no A/C). They've done fine in there during summer months with average temps of over 90°F, peaks of up to 110°F, for several days to weeks at a time.

S

ScrOGer

hey man they look fine

I like to open them up every day and wash/wipe down the domes and spray them with fresh water (just the domes not the plants)

dip n grow is the shit - but DONT get it on your skin - wear gloves when handling this shit

if your not using a heat mat clones can take longer and some cuts as long as 2 weeks to root - so as long as they look good and dont dry out you should be fine

Def reassuring, motherload. I will pass on the tip about spraying the dome. Regarding the gloves and all... My buddy was all like, "i see why they say do get on skin, eyes and everything. this stuff smells toxic as fuck!"

I was just over there and they still look good. a little one is way crispy on the tips, but she is a runt to say the least. I dont think should wouldve made it anyway, but you never know... I rec'd an electric heat pad, but he passed.

The temps are little more higher than i thought. the sun today warmed up that room pretty good. My boy is chilling. but i still think he will freak out at day 10. these guys will prob take 12-14.

I'm in for a long week
:mad0233:

S

ScrOGer

they look fine to me, he RW looks a little to wet, saturated, They wont shoot roots tell that evaporates and they have to.

SO the word has been passed. thanks for the input. He told me he mists them in the morning around 10am, because they were super dry. those pics were taken at around noon.

I do appreciate everything. I dont use RW, so this good for me to know as well.

Should he be spraying those cubes everyday? I imagine they need water. lol

Is he spraying too much?

hiboy

hiboy

water every other day at most till u see roots
rw cubes should be rinsed out prior to use, soakin in roots excelurator and ph to 6
rh above 50%
temps 75-80
h

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

100% Agree with the Rockwool being too wet. I alway's give mine a little squeeze right after I insert the cutting.
I actually only water if the cube sort of dries out, not to the point where the cutting wilts.
I'm like the set it and forget guy with clones. The more you play with them, the longer it takes. I swear it's like watching water boil, take's longer if you look at it.
I have had a cutting take about a month to show roots. As long as it still has green leaves, it will make it.

S

ScrOGer

water every other day at most till u see roots
rw cubes should be rinsed out prior to use, soakin in roots excelurator and ph to 6
rh above 50%
temps 75-80
h

thanks for that :)

100% Agree with the Rockwool being too wet. I alway's give mine a little squeeze right after I insert the cutting.
I actually only water if the cube sort of dries out, not to the point where the cutting wilts.

I have had a cutting take about a month to show roots. As long as it still has green leaves, it will make it.

Cool. I get it. my friend is kind of like set in his ways. so when things dont go well, he freaks out for a while, then comes to the conclusion and gets on with it.

He said he shook them pretty violently, to remove extra water, as not to squeeze the the cube too tightly. He is used to seeing roots by day 7. he has been growing out this strain for a little over 5 years. But he always used root tech gel. but the local store didnt have any, and he didnt want to pay 30 bucks for clonex. he had never heard of it.

anyway. i do feel a shit load better. i was already feeling the guilt of steering into the dip n grow. he's on a fixed income and needs all the loot he can save. so twenty goes to his pocket :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
A suggestion on prevention for the future--invest in some Physan 20 and use it every time you take cuttings. Dip them in Physan as directed, then continue.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I dont spray the cubes, Never ever!, I mist the Dome if its dry, Ill also remove the clones and mist the tray after about 5-6 days, Ill continue to only mist the tray! Unless you got a real real dry cube I wouldnt wet them, Plant has absolutely no reason to throw roots untill it has a reason to throw roots!! She's thirsty and she knows the moisture is "Out There". Thats my 2 cents, Good Luck!

+1

A suggestion on prevention for the future--invest in some Physan 20 and use it every time you take cuttings. Dip them in Physan as directed, then continue.

dip them in phsyan eh - what does that prevent?

I dont think I ever saw those directions on my phsyan bottle

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Eh, seriously? It's a quaternary ammonium compound, motherlode, which is a well-known, long and oft-used group of sterilization products, including in the medical industry. It's used to sterilize everything from hair cutting implements to specimen cups and nets in aquarium shops as well. My bottle gives directions for dipping (orchid) cuttings, right on the label.

http://www.physan.com/

Physandotcom said:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
The Product
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]PHYSAN 20™ is a broad range disinfectant, fungicide, virucide, and algaecide which effectively controls a wide variety of pathogens on hard surfaces and plants. Its applications include greenhouses; hard surfaces; lawn and turfgrass; seedlings and cut flowers; decorative fountains, pools and birdbaths; and plants.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]PHYSAN 20 is an EPA approved concentrate formulated with unique germicidal agents to provide overall protection for your plants and greenhouses.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]PHYSAN 20 poses no human or environmental risk when it is used at recommended use levels and according to label instructions.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]PHYSAN 20 controls disease-spreading organisms which can be carried from plant to plant by using contaminated pots, flats, seed beds, soil, tools and human hands.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]The Chemical Family[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
A synergistic blend of two quaternary ammonium compounds.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Product Features:[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]EPA approved for use directly on plants[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Broad spectrum disinfectant[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Environmentally friendly[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Pleasant odor[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Will not discolor skin[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]No reentry restrictions for hard surface use[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Use of gloves not required with diluted solution[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Cost effective use rate[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Good wetting agent[/FONT]
  10. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Leaves bacteriostatic residue[/FONT]
  11. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Biodegradable[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]The Applications[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Hard Surfaces/Exteriors[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Work Areas and Benches Pots, Flats, and Flower Buckets[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Disinfection of Cutting Tools [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Walkway Algae[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Tabletop and Floor Mildew [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Greenhouse Glass Algae[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Evaporative Cooler Algae[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Fungus and Odors[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Decorative Fountains, Swimming Pools, and Birdbaths[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Algae Control[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
    WARNING: TOXIC TO FISH!
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Seeds, Seedlings, Cut Flowers[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Damping Off[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Bacterial Stem Plugging of Cut Flowers[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Seedling Downy Mildew[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Downy Mildew on Plant Cuttings[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Adult Ornamental Plants[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]For application on specific potted plants, please refer to Insert #1
    [/FONT]

Let's jump ahead to how to dip cuts, again, right there on the label and the website.

Physan 20 said:
Disinfecting Cutting Tools
Soak cutting edge of tool for 10 minutes in PHYSAN 20 solution before use to kill such diseases as Botrytis, Root Rot, Stem Rot and Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV). Use wet tool on plants. Dry and oil tools at the end of work.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Use: 1 teaspoon PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 1 quart water.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
Mildewstat - Table Tops, Floors
To control mold and mildew on pre-cleaned hard, non-porous surfaces (such as floors, walls, table tops). Apply solution with a cloth, mop or sponge, making sure to wet all surfaces completely. Let air dry. Prepare a fresh solution for each use. Repeat application at weekly intervals or when mildew growth reappears.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]USE: 3 tablespoons of PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 2 gallons of water.
Pots, Flats and Flower Buckets
Used pots and flats should be brushed or washed, then soaked in PHYSAN 20 solution for 10 minutes before using to kill such diseases as Anthracnose, Blight Crown Rot, Mildew, Root Rot and Rusts.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]USE: 1 tablespoon PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 1 gallon of water.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]

Work Area and Benches
Before each work period, spray or swab working surfaces. Spray or swab again after each plant is completed to kill such diseases as, Botrytis, Crown Rot, Downy Mildew, Root Rot, etc.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]USE: 1 tablespoon PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 1 gallon of water[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]ADULT PLANTS/HOUSE PLANTS[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]House Plants
To control algae and cross contamination in terrariums, bubbles, etc., wipe inside of glass with paper towel dampened with PHYSAN 20 solution.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]USE: 1 teaspoon PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 1 gallon of water.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]SEEDS/SEEDLINGS/CUT FLOWERS[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Cut Flowers in containers, tubes, and decorative vases - Bacterial Stem Plugging.
To eliminate stem plugging (which restricts uptake of water) and to control bacteria and fungi (which create ethylene gas, a cause of petal drop), flower spikes should be hardened by keeping the stems in PHYSAN 20 solution.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]USE: 1 teaspoon of PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 1 gallon of water.
Plant Cuttings - Begonia, Chrysanthemum, Fuchsia, and Geranium.
For controlling Crown Gall, Gray Mold Leaf Spots, and Powdery Mildew, soak completely immersed cuttings 2-5 minutes in 1-1/2 teaspoons of PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 1 gallon of water. Plant in compost completely saturated in PHYSAN 20 solution.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]USE: 1-1/2 teaspoons of PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 1 gallon of water.
Seeds and Seedlings - Damping Off
Treat seeds and seedlings by soaking in a solution of 1 1/2 teaspoons of PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 1 gallon of water for 5 minutes. Fill the flask containing the seed or seedlings with enough PHYSAN 20 solution to completely cover the seeds/seedlings. Drain the PHYSAN 20 solution off the seeds/seedlings before planting. Use a fresh solution of PHYSAN 20 for each flask.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]USE: 1 1/2 teaspoons of PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 1 gallon of water.[/FONT]
Seedlings - Damping Off (ornamental plants only)
Make a solution of 1 1/2 teaspoons of PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 1 gallon of water. Soak seedlings in PHYSAN 20 for 5 minutes. Use a soak container large enough to completely immerse one flask of seedlings at a time. Change the solution daily or more often if solution becomes visibly dirty. If a garden soil is used for planting seedlings, completely saturate the soil in PHYSAN 20. Place the soil in a pot or tray and add enough PHYSAN 20 solution to completely cover the soil. Let the solution drain through the soil or pour off excess.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]USE: 1 1/2 teaspoons of PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 1 gallon of water.
PHYSAN 20 solution is effective in stopping the spread of damping off when sprayed on seedlings. Spray seedlings so that all surfaces are thoroughly wet.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]USE: 2 tablespoons of PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 3 gallons of water of 2 tsp. PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 1 gallon of water.
Seedlings - Downy Mildew (Ornamental Plants only)
Most common on seedlings. The fungus sporulates on the lower surface of leaves as a white, sparse downy growth. The disease can cause the death of aerial plant parts. Spray seedlings so that all surfaces are thoroughly wet with Physan 20 solution at 5-day intervals until under control.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]USE: 2 tablespoons of PHYSAN 20 concentrate in 3 gallons of water.[/FONT]

This is what the product is made for. What measures do you take to prevent disease spread, etcetera?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I clean my tools with physan because you should disinfect your work gear - I clean my trays/domes with physan but only so they dont get that moldy smell

I guess I dont have any disease to spread

used to take cuts for a cat I worked for 600 at a time - never had an issue

have rooted easily tens of thousands of cuts in my many years of doing this and never had any succumb to "disease"

its not like thats gonna kill PM if the mom has it

its amusing to me that your all against anti bacterial soaps and using eagle 20 because it makes resistant bacteria and molds but you dip all your cuts in physan

I dont get it

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Because nothing has been shown to develop a resistance to it, i.e. it's still used specifically because it very good at doing what we need it to do. I do my best to examine each product, weigh its pros and cons. That's wonderful that you've never had a problem with disease, but this guy who started the thread has and wanted to know what to do. I offered a suggestion based on my experience with cannabis, other plants, and time working in a public aquarium.

I also use isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. Iodine, Betadine and similar, because they don't cause problems.

Honestly, you're starting to treat me like I'm an idiot, and that's something *I* don't get.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
no it was an honest question - I never heard of anybody dipping clones in physan - I know its safe for plants - I been using that shit for so long for that reason

as opposed to bleach

didnt know there was any study data available on physan resistance besides

and as for the last comment your reading too much into my friendly jabs

S

ScrOGer

Soory to break up the Physan show :D but i have breaking news....

G.O.D.: Word! I have passed along all info. thanks so much. I feel better, but he keeps misting the cubes.

i just went over there, and checked on the tray. It's out of my hands now. I told him last night, to not spray the cubes, only the dome or the tray. I told him let he humidity keep them alive and make them stretch to reach water, like a grapevine.

it looks like I am off the hook, if something goes wrong. You guys are right. those cubes are so wet right now. I picked one up and barely squeezed it. immediately the water started dripping out. Fucking soaked!

I hope i didnt waste anyone's time. It looks like he is going to keep doing what he wants, based on past experience, and not listen to sound advice.

I thank you anyway, of course.

now back to Physan Show.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Soory to break up the Physan show :D but i have breaking news....

G.O.D.: Word! I have passed along all info. thanks so much. I feel better, but he keeps misting the cubes.

i just went over there, and checked on the tray. It's out of my hands now. I told him last night, to not spray the cubes, only the dome or the tray. I told him let he humidity keep them alive and make them stretch to reach water, like a grapevine.

it looks like I am off the hook, if something goes wrong. You guys are right. those cubes are so wet right now. I picked one up and barely squeezed it. immediately the water started dripping out. Fucking soaked!

I hope i didnt waste anyone's time. It looks like he is going to keep doing what he wants, based on past experience, and not listen to sound advice.

I thank you anyway, of course.

now back to Physan Show.

You will find out arguing with a idiot get's you no where. Time for you to sit back and wait and say "I told ya stupid"

S

ScrOGer

They have popped! just went by his house, and a few cubes have roots coming out of the cubes, and most other cubes showing solid signs of root development down the stem.

Whew! His soaked cubes puled through and I dont hear about it anymore.

THANKS FOR EVERYONES SUPPORT, AND REASSURANCE!!

M

MydnyteToker

I just cut 30 clones from several different strains and was worried as well as this is my first attempt at propagation. I am using rapid rooters and wasn't very clear on how wet the plugs should be. So if they dry out a bit it will actually help with root formation by making them look for water? Also, my room is kept at 72degF with humidity around 50-60%. I am not using a heat mat...should I? I have one, just haven't busted it out. So far, most still look healthy green and little wilt after 8 days but no roots popping through yet. I used Dip-N-Grow as well. Any tips from the masters?

Top Bottom