Plumber's First Coco Grow

• Thread starter PlumberSoCal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Welcome back, your plants look great!
Our boy did good. Really proud of that 20 year old kid. Had a nice chat last night about how it went. He's still got a long way to go but after overwatering the seedlings I gave him earlier in the year he's learned a lot. I'll give him one of the larger plants and see if he's been studying how to trim and dry. I gave him the basic outline and I'll do it again when I pull the plant but I want him to research and put what I said and what he read together and see how he does. Only way to really learn something is by actually doing it a few times.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I'd say the only way to truly learn is to do it wrong a few times lol.
But thats only because that's how I do.
So damn true and that's why I allowed him to overwater those plants. He's got 2 plants hanging in the garage, 8" and the other 12". Surprised they survived. A couple puffs for Christmas but I've got an oz and glass pipe for him. He's earned it after caring for the plants for a week after a death in the family and the past 4 days AND he's a good kid. Works, pays rent/his bills, hasn't knocked up anyone. 6'2", 200lbs, good looking kid (looks nothing like me). Has dated some stunners. Still figuring out what he wants to do. We're very happy with this one. His older brother moved out before I could kick him out although his mom is who kept me from doing it when I should have. He's finally growing up but was a royal pain. Almost as bad as I was😜

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

So damn true and that's why I allowed him to overwater those plants. He's got 2 plants hanging in the garage, 8" and the other 12". Surprised they survived. A couple puffs for Christmas but I've got an oz and glass pipe for him. He's earned it after caring for the plants for a week after a death in the family and the past 4 days AND he's a good kid. Works, pays rent/his bills, hasn't knocked up anyone. 6'2", 200lbs, good looking kid (looks nothing like me). Has dated some stunners. Still figuring out what he wants to do. We're very happy with this one. His older brother moved out before I could kick him out although his mom is who kept me from doing it when I should have. He's finally growing up but was a royal pain. Almost as bad as I was😜
my youngest just moved to cali monday,hope the best for him

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

And how do you selectively apply?
I caught z's and R n R, no fish, not even a bite. Threw spinners & jigs, floating bait, nightcrawlers, mackerel and nada.
Would've been nice but not required.

Collecting pollen couldn't be easier. I use a large paper bag, bend a branch or 2 at a time and shake into the bag. I'll do this every few days for a week or two. Then I'll dump it on a screen above a pan then put it in a jar.

To pollinate I use a makeup brush
20191214 131736

from the dollar store. I usually wait until night when there is no wind. Just dip lightly into the pollen and gently rub into a flower.

I use to use a small paintbrush, took forever.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hello thanks for the reply, the real issue I'm having is I don't know what model to buy to replace the one I have, not the plumbing involved

I've worked extensively with hydraulics when I was a contractor but I've never replaced a faucet that I can recall, a few toilets but never a kitchen faucet so that's what I'm asking

I don't know what will fit, it's a basic 10 in base (with standard 8 inch bolts) and single feed

I've got a few faucets in my Amazon basket maybe I can float a few images tomorrow and you can tell me if they'll fit? Thats what I'm basically trying to find out, thank you again!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

It's a standard 8" spread. The Moen comes with a plate to cover the spread or can be installed in a single hole. Awesome faucets and I love the pullout sprayers. We spent a couple hundred a few years ago for a pull down spout and love it even more.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I caught z's and R n R, no fish, not even a bite. Threw spinners & jigs, floating bait, nightcrawlers, mackerel and nada.
Would've been nice but not required.

Collecting pollen couldn't be easier. I use a large paper bag, bend a branch or 2 at a time and shake into the bag. I'll do this every few days for a week or two. Then I'll dump it on a screen above a pan then put it in a jar.

To pollinate I use a makeup brush
View attachment 920576
from the dollar store. I usually wait until night when there is no wind. Just dip lightly into the pollen and gently rub into a flower.

I use to use a small paintbrush, took forever.
Sounds too easy thanx gonna give her a go in couple months . It was super hard to find available “regular” automatic seeds so I’m hopin I can pull off a successful romance. If there is enuff time for seeds to mature ?

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Sunday Update

Oh my
20191215 160003

Frosty is in the house.

20191215 155934

These girls make me smile.
20191215 155118
20191215 155112
20191215 155123

The big greenhouse the same
20191215 145411

These stretched 20+ inches. I wasted too many years growing in spring/summer only.

The boys at the back of the house
20191215 155031

I need to cull but didn't feel like it today.

Last swing set plant
20191215 155041

Also need to cull.

A few frosty tops
20191215 155145
20191215 155139
20191215 155133

One from each plant in the tomato stand. Can't get enough of these.

Six plus weeks from harvest, maybe more with our cold weather. Don't really know, never grown it outside in the winter. I guess we'll see.👍

Happy Growing!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Slow today. Finally! Work usually slows down around Thanksgiving but this year I've been busy until today other than pricing a shower pan/stall for an apartment I'll have to do this week if my estimate is within reason.

Took a few pics this morning. The Granddaddy Purple's are growing slowly, but growing.
20191216 092632
20191216 092628
20191216 092625

Something is still eating the middle one so I need to treat with BT. I've kept the mice/rats at bay with the aluminum screen which I'll use to cage in the entire pan, eventually.

I've been seeing this for about a month and finally took a couple of pics.
20191216 092331
20191216 092318

Look close and you'll see roots growing out of the bottoms of the pots.

Tomatoes are flowered but no fruit
20191216 092252

Night time emperature are dropping near freezing this week. 38F is expected tomorrow night and 37F on Wednesday. I'll be surprised if they survive.

Got a few green beans
20191216 092214

Not enough for a meal yet but if they survive the cold we should have enough in a few weeks as there's 4 plants.

The lettuce seedlings.
20191216 092238

They've been getting their leaf ends munched by mice. Not bad, I guess they're not crazy about salad but had to try 'em anyway. Bastards.

Adult lettuce
20191216 101256
20191216 101310

Those long stocks are Black Seed Simpsons. I've harvested all the lower leafs over the past month and they keep growing taller and producing more.

The small ones are head lettuce. First time I grew head lettuce some 30+ years ago I planted 4 20' rows. Couldn't give it all away.

I really want to try the Kratky method on weed, just too cold right now.

I'm truly amazed with the results and can't see growing much in dirt this coming spring. I've got a post hole digger and bet if I bury all the bottles and mulch heavy around them I won't have to do much but spray for bugs. I really like that idea.

If you haven't tried this Kratky method you're missing out.👍

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Slow today. Finally! Work usually slows down around Thanksgiving but this year I've been busy until today other than pricing a shower pan/stall for an apartment I'll have to do this week if my estimate is within reason.

Took a few pics this morning. The Granddaddy Purple's are growing slowly, but growing.
View attachment 921150View attachment 921151View attachment 921152
Something is still eating the middle one so I need to treat with BT. I've kept the mice/rats at bay with the aluminum screen which I'll use to cage in the entire pan, eventually.

I've been seeing this for about a month and finally took a couple of pics.
View attachment 921153View attachment 921154
Look close and you'll see roots growing out of the bottoms of the pots.

Tomatoes are flowered but no fruit
View attachment 921155
Night time emperature are dropping near freezing this week. 38F is expected tomorrow night and 37F on Wednesday. I'll be surprised if they survive.

Got a few green beans
View attachment 921156
Not enough for a meal yet but if they survive the cold we should have enough in a few weeks as there's 4 plants.

The lettuce seedlings.
View attachment 921157
They've been getting their leaf ends munched by mice. Not bad, I guess they're not crazy about salad but had to try 'em anyway. Bastards.

Adult lettuce
View attachment 921159View attachment 921160
Those long stocks are Black Seed Simpsons. I've harvested all the lower leafs over the past month and they keep growing taller and producing more.

The small ones are head lettuce. First time I grew head lettuce some 30+ years ago I planted 4 20' rows. Couldn't give it all away.

I really want to try the Kratky method on weed, just too cold right now.

I'm truly amazed with the results and can't see growing much in dirt this coming spring. I've got a post hole digger and bet if I bury all the bottles and mulch heavy around them I won't have to do much but spray for bugs. I really like that idea.

If you haven't tried this Kratky method you're missing out.👍

It is neat.

And those are 2 fine looking green beans!

:-)

Top Bottom