Plumber's First Coco Grow

• Thread starter PlumberSoCal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

It is neat.

And those are 2 fine looking green beans!

:-)
Got one plant I believe is a purple bean. Turns green when cooked but is purple while growing. I planted a couple and that one's got a lot of flowers.

These have been a breeze and being in soda bottles I can bury them in the ground where I normally plant, 20 in a normal 10' row as well as double row. So instead of the usual 6-8 plants I can grow about 40 in the same space. Roots are not competing so I can grow them closer.

Oh yeah, and no daily watering or gopher attacks.

Really can't wait to try DWC in buckets buried in the garden.

They do need to be covered during rain or the water and nutrient levels adjusted afterword.

The method lends itself well to most herbs, lettuce and other leafy greens like spinach and to green beans and cherry tomatos. I'm sure there are limitations on the species that will thrive in Kratky but what does grow well I can grow way faster than in soil.

I'm a believer in this hydro stuff. Never would have thought it possible until these past few months.👍

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Got one plant I believe is a purple bean. Turns green when cooked but is purple while growing. I planted a couple and that one's got a lot of flowers.

These have been a breeze and being in soda bottles I can bury them in the ground where I normally plant, 20 in a normal 10' row as well as double row. So instead of the usual 6-8 plants I can grow about 40 in the same space. Roots are not competing so I can grow them closer.

Oh yeah, and no daily watering or gopher attacks.

Really can't wait to try DWC in buckets buried in the garden.

They do need to be covered during rain or the water and nutrient levels adjusted afterword.

The method lends itself well to most herbs, lettuce and other leafy greens like spinach and to green beans and cherry tomatos. I'm sure there are limitations on the species that will thrive in Kratky but what does grow well I can grow way faster than in soil.

I'm a believer in this hydro stuff. Never would have thought it possible until these past few months.👍
are you sure that the purple bean isnt a pink eye cow pea,i call um purple hull peas,they grow just as a reg bean then when they mature for picking they turn dark purple,the peas inside are lime green

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

are you sure that the purple bean isnt a pink eye cow pea,i call um purple hull peas,they grow just as a reg bean then when they mature for picking they turn dark purple,the peas inside are lime green
I've been growing these purple green beans for several years, mainly for the wife. I've got some purple basil seeds that I'll plant in spring. I've grown those before as well.

I had to water so took a few pics. Looks like I've got 2 of each.
20191217 082658

2 purples on the left and 2 greens on the right.

You can really see the purple on the stems and flowers.
20191217 082507

Here's a green one.
20191217 082520

We didn't know they would turn green when cooked but tasted just like the green ones.

As soon as they develop fruit I'll post pics of the purple beans.😉

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Moved 2 plants out of the greenhouse and into the tomato stand.
20191217 082416

I had 6 plants in a space for 4. Better now.
20191217 082431

These are younger and only topped to 4 colas. We had to leave town about a month ago for a week right when these should have been topped again. When we returned the growth was insane so I just let them grow as is.

Got a couple cold nights/mornings on the way tonight and tomorrow. Hoping all survive it.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Green beans, tuscan kale, Hungarian wax peppers are the only veggies I am growing next season. I could eat sautéd kale and Hungarian was peppers every single day. I’ll have to check out the Kratky method.
i got cauliflour and brocille going right now ,come spring,squash tomto potato beans in containers ,in outdoor hydro,pumpkins watermelon canaloupe maybe honey dew,growing up the wall to next deck and trellis fruit hanging in same net i use for scrog hahahhahah,gonna have the whole deck covered with climbers,cucumbers and sweet potato climbing fence

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Green beans, tuscan kale, Hungarian wax peppers are the only veggies I am growing next season. I could eat sautéd kale and Hungarian was peppers every single day. I’ll have to check out the Kratky method.
You won't be disappointed. I haven't tried kale yet but will soon. I've got to focus on getting more lettuce started and find more baby bok choi seeds this week, not to mention snap peas which I'll grow below the swing set as usual but this time in bottles.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Moved 2 plants out of the greenhouse and into the tomato stand.
View attachment 921447

I had 6 plants in a space for 4. Better now.
View attachment 921446

These are younger and only topped to 4 colas. We had to leave town about a month ago for a week right when these should have been topped again. When we returned the growth was insane so I just let them grow as is.

Got a couple cold nights/mornings on the way tonight and tomorrow. Hoping all survive it.
ya frezze tonight hear and for next couple mornings,only got to 34 last night,like unusal as all get out here,about like waiting for rain hahah

Seraphine

Seraphine

I've been growing these purple green beans for several years, mainly for the wife. I've got some purple basil seeds that I'll plant in spring. I've grown those before as well.

I had to water so took a few pics. Looks like I've got 2 of each.
View attachment 921441
2 purples on the left and 2 greens on the right.

You can really see the purple on the stems and flowers.
View attachment 921442

Here's a green one.
View attachment 921444
We didn't know they would turn green when cooked but tasted just like the green ones.

As soon as they develop fruit I'll post pics of the purple beans.😉
I like holy basil. It’s used to make tulsi tea but I didn’t like the taste of the tea so instead I like to chop it up in jasmine rice and a little soy sauce. It’s tastes just like Thai basil.

I grow aramatto basil as a filler flower. It’s a little purple. Smells like cinnamon and is a little spicy.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

i got cauliflour and brocille going right now ,come spring,squash tomto potato beans in containers ,in outdoor hydro,pumpkins watermelon canaloupe maybe honey dew,growing up the wall to next deck and trellis fruit hanging in same net i use for scrog hahahhahah,gonna have the whole deck covered with climbers,cucumbers and sweet potato climbing fence
I love growing cucumbers. This year I'm going to grow some dill and hopefully make my own pickles. I need to get the dill seeds planted soon but I'm torn between growing them in the herb garden or Kratky. I guess I should just do both. They do grow well in soil and I've got plenty of time.

I've got 8 plots on the top of a rise above the swing set where I've grown melons several times the past few years. Gonna bury buckets and do them in a DWC setup. I got an air pump that should run them and a few other buckets. I train the vines to grow down the hill where the fruit sits on the dead and dying grass/weeds which makes a nice cushion.

This current cold weather is killing me and making me long for summer.😖

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I like holy basil. It’s used to make tulsi tea but I didn’t like the taste of the tea so instead I like to chop it up in jasmine rice and a little soy sauce. It’s tastes just like Thai basil.

I grow aramatto basil as a filler flower. It’s a little purple. Smells like cinnamon and is a little spicy.
I love thai basil! We have a killer pho restaurant close by and they always throw a little on most of their dishes. I've grown it a couple of times and will do so again this spring.

I still have 5 regulars in Kratky. Don't know if they'll survive the coming cold. I'll know in a day or two.😉

Seraphine

Seraphine

I love growing cucumbers. This year I'm going to grow some dill and hopefully make my own pickles. I need to get the dill seeds planted soon but I'm torn between growing them in the herb garden or Kratky. I guess I should just do both. They do grow well in soil and I've got plenty of time.

I've got 8 plots on the top of a rise above the swing set where I've grown melons several times the past few years. Gonna bury buckets and do them in a DWC setup. I got an air pump that should run them and a few other buckets. I train the vines to grow down the hill where the fruit sits on the dead and dying grass/weeds which makes a nice cushion.

Plants lots of dill especially near your cannabis. It attracts beneficial insects like hover flies and lacewings.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

thats how i found the kratky,the 33 gal barrel is for the cucumber plant,just couldnt get it to work with this heat,once i add air all good ,so pretty much a modified hydro grow,next time i am doing it in 5 gal buckets,were i can change water every week or two,that is my plan for all my melons and cucumbers,save me a lot of room having these buckets and just the back porch side walk,let it grow up trellis to the top deck and let it spread all over that deck,deck it 8ft wide and 40 ft long

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I love thai basil! We have a killer pho restaurant close by and they always throw a little on most of their dishes. I've grown it a couple of times and will do so again this spring.

I still have 5 regulars in Kratky. Don't know if they'll survive the coming cold. I'll know in a day or two.😉
i grow basil just for the smell of it,no joke i love the smell at first it was for bug deterent,shit when i got growing them next thing i knew i had 20 of them in 1 gal pots hahahah all over the place,the i got lemon grass it did real good until it got cold hahaha

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

thats how i found the kratky,the 33 gal barrel is for the cucumber plant,just couldnt get it to work with this heat,once i add air all good ,so pretty much a modified hydro grow,next time i am doing it in 5 gal buckets,were i can change water every week or two,that is my plan for all my melons and cucumbers,save me a lot of room having these buckets and just the back porch side walk,let it grow up trellis to the top deck and let it spread all over that deck,deck it 8ft wide and 40 ft long
Yes! An over looked need, especially with Kratky in changing or refreshing the water.

I've found watering the medium once or twice a week helps but did have one empty and the basil plant wilted. Filled about a third and perked right back up.

This stuff really couldn't be easier. Kratky promotes this as a set up and forget it until harvest and I can see that with several plants.

3-5 popped basil seeds in one in a sunny kitchen window would supply enough to make your own marinara sauce once or twice a month. I like it in salads and on garlic bread.

Many videos on YouTube. Personally I like Tikki, unlike me she gets to the point and doesn't yack on and on...

But I'm seeing tending to and watering keep them growing well and it blows away garden and/or potting soil.

Plants also seem healthier and withstand pest damage better. This is a biggie for me.😂

My poor brussell sprouts, which I grew to lure in moth larva away from my pot plant this year in the next row are getting hit hard by snails, aphids and scales.
20191217 083444

And look at the weeds already. I really don't want to grow in dirt anymore but oh look!
20191217 083408

Horse manure. Got a pile of dirty chicken straw to throw on it and all the weeds I'll mow down. Lot of work. I'm getting old.

I'll plant some in the gopher proof spots this coming spring but if these buckets work out it may be the last year.😉

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Yes! An over looked need, especially with Kratky in changing or refreshing the water.

I've found watering the medium once or twice a week helps but did have one empty and the basil plant wilted. Filled about a third and perked right back up.

This stuff really couldn't be easier. Kratky promotes this as a set up and forget it until harvest and I can see that with several plants.

3-5 popped basil seeds in one in a sunny kitchen window would supply enough to make your own marinara sauce once or twice a month. I like it in salads and on garlic bread.

Many videos on YouTube. Personally I like Tikki, unlike me she gets to the point and doesn't yack on and on...

But I'm seeing tending to and watering keep them growing well and it blows away garden and/or potting soil.

Plants also seem healthier and withstand pest damage better. This is a biggie for me.😂

My poor brussell sprouts, which I grew to lure in moth larva away from my pot plant this year in the next row are getting hit hard by snails, aphids and scales.
View attachment 921521
And look at the weeds already. I really don't want to grow in dirt anymore but oh look!
View attachment 921522
Horse manure. Got a pile of dirty chicken straw to throw on it and all the weeds I'll mow down. Lot of work. I'm getting old.

I'll plant some in the gopher proof spots this coming spring but if these buckets work out it may be the last year.😉
put clear plastic over it,let the weeds thrive on the humidity under it,when they get were the plastic is starting to come up a bit,then put black plastic on it,it will kill the weeds all the way down the root,the clear is like a humidity dome,increasing root growth right,then when you black it out ,ah ohh dead all the way down

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

put clear plastic over it,let the weeds thrive on the humidity under it,when they get were the plastic is starting to come up a bit,then put black plastic on it,it will kill the weeds all the way down the root,the clear is like a humidity dome,increasing root growth right,then when you black it out ,ah ohh dead all the way down
I've got too much yard. East fence is 140' long and the area is 20' wide. Maybe if I did it in sections like 20x20. I don't know but I sure am tired of pulling and even weed wacking 'em. That's the one thing about gardening I don't like is dealing with weeds. I've also got crab grass working it's way onto the garden. If nothing else I need to cover those areas for a few weeks.

Everyone survived our cold weather the past couple nights. Even the Kratky cherry tomatoes.

707finisher

707finisher

Can put cardboard down to in layers just keep adding it and water it on, it will get eaten by worms. Know someone who threw all their scrap Sheetrock and cardboard on their garden and tild it in come spring, grew big veggies and weed, idk if it’s organic though

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Can put cardboard down to in layers just keep adding it and water it on, it will get eaten by worms. Know someone who threw all their scrap Sheetrock and cardboard on their garden and tild it in come spring, grew big veggies and weed, idk if it’s organic though
Cardboard is used in worm boxes. I end up with quite a bit from water heater boxes, dishwashers, sinks, tubs, etc. I plan on using some for the walkway in the big greenhouse.

I like that clear plastic for a couple weeks. They'll grow like crazy but be thin and weak from the humidity and covering with black plastic or cardboard would kill 'em quick.

Last edited:
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

So another killer week. Got a client with 80 acres of citrus and avocado trees.
20191219 114546

Been a client for 5 years and never knew about their farm. They were renting a large house in Valley Center and I do a lot of work for the property management company. Then a year ago I inspected a million dollar home before they bought it. Sits on a hill overlooking the valley toward Mt. Palomar. Beautiful.

Now I've got the gate code for the farm, with a pond, and large mouth bass.
20191220 160652

Last night I installed a new water heater in a trailer where a couple of his utility people live and today installed a pressure regulator. He said one of the guys eats rattlers and rabbits. I'd like to party with him!

So anyways, all survived the cold
20191220 093751

They're slowly progressing. Seeds planted Aug 25.

These two seem to be stretching still.
20191220 093801

Hairs but no flowers yet. They're 1 month younger and only topped to 4. Seeds planted Sept 25.

Any idea what it smells like when I walk in this greenhouse?
20191220 094018

Oh yeah. More of the Sept planting.

The boys are still hanging out at the back of the house.
20191220 093711

Pollen collection begins tomorrow. That sativa leaner on the left and the middle hybrid.

Swing set.
20191220 093659

This one is flowering so it stays, for now.

GDP's from Oct 24 planting
20191220 095407

Lovin this one
20191220 095429

2 months old. Can't wait to grow these next year in the warmth of the sun.

All the Kratky plants are doing well.

Going to order some electronic pest repellers. I can't seem to catch or poision them all. They've moved into the garage as well. Bastards.

I was drooling this morning
20191220 093917
20191220 093911
20191220 093941

The alpha tops of each plant.

Another funeral tomorrow. A friends mom passed Mon. Watching women cry isn't a fun time. I'd rather stay home and plant something, anything. Such is life. So I probably won't be around much until Sunday and catch up with what's ya all been doin'.

You know what they say, Happy Growing!

20191220 095429
Top Bottom