Plumber's First Coco Grow

• Thread starter PlumberSoCal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Any other ideas? Just whatever? I thought I saw tomatoes?
Tomatoes? Got some cherries hanging on in the cold in a soil box. Lots of green ones but few are ripening. No pic, toasted and don't wanna go up right now.

Cherry and orange pear shaped cherries are killing it in the greenhouse and Kratky.
20191124 153709

These will turn black and die come our first frost. Usually mid Feb-March. Hate it. Lost half doz a few years ago. It is what it is. If it's cold outside it's COLD in a greenhouse without alternate heating.

And I've got some clones of the cherries and Garden Leaders (2 lb fruit) that I want to grow in DWC. Doubt if they'll make it but I'll try.

Look, push the boundaries. Don't take no for an answer. Challenge current wisdom. If I can share anything after 60 years it's question EVERYTHING! Believe nothing you can't prove.

Seriously though, come our first frost they're done unless I heat a greenhouse. Ain't gonna happen.

Sad but the new tomato plants are only 2 months away. No more soil grows. Coco tomatoes.

In January I'll be ordering 25lbs of MasterrBlend. It Rocks.

707finisher

707finisher

Yes they do but also taste great and are good for you. A lot better than the insecticide hormone laden shit you can buy at the store. Just sayin.
I hear that, I’ve been trying to learn more about gardening in general, the trees are a little different, basically in hydroponic stuff, minimal nutrients in spring summer and harden off or bloom in fall. But my food garden has been an ongoing learning experience. Honestly I’ve learned more here in the last 3 months than everything I know

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

That sativa leaner went full herm.
20191126 070139
20191126 070153

That's why the flowers look so different, they're full of balls.

Moved it in front of our French doors that we never use.
20191126 072328

It's too big for the swing set. Here it at least has the roof overhang.

More seedy bud but I'll at least get to experiment with hermie seeds in a few months.

Could be worse...

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Happy Thanksgiving o 102729

Had to share this!

Rain and cold and football and cooking. 5 am and the pumpkin pies need to get mixed and cooked so I can start the turkey.

Just the wife and I this year so only cooking up a 14 pounder.
Iwz0rpk

Gotta have enough for sandwiches later.

Happy Turkey Day!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

After another hard work day and 4 vodkas and grapefruit (gotta be a healthy drinker😜) another day ends. Yesterday was a very thankful day for too many reasons to count.

The turkey
20191128 135310

was one of my best ever. I usually roast a 24+ pounder so this 14 was a breeze. 2hrs 50min @ 325F, 1/2lb cold hard butter pieces between the skin and breast. If you look close you'll see the thyme and sage (home grown of course) inside. Out did myself. Moist and cut with a fork. Had my first sandwich tonight.

I did make it out and about with my phone.
20191128 095042

Loving this greenhouse but if the weather doesn't warm up I may not get more to grow from seedling to plant.

4 days in the seed warmer and a few popped
20191129 182809

I left the top off today but had to recover as the temps continue to drop and mice may still be lurking. Nothing in the traps last night but the night before a bit of fur in one. Bastards.
20191129 182756

F 'em. They've taken too many.

The Kratky plants are still doing well, even the tomatoes and basil.
20191128 095128
20191128 095113
20191128 095120

20191128 095134
20191125 131900

The tomatoes and basil won't last through the 1st freeze. Not sure about the bush beans. Lettuce is killing it, all of those little ones have roots in the water
20191125 131814

We'll be giving away lettuce by Christmas.

Yeah yeah, sunny so cal freezes? Today in Rainbow, CA, just 20 minutes North
20191129 135438

Fun times. If the weather doesn't change soon I may have run into a wall with THIS winter grow.

Let's see if I can get these 2 Granddaddy Purples to mature
20191129 182723

20191129 182718

I'll be surprised if the seedlings make it. I should have the new ones in pots but 40F is expected tonight so they stay in the 50F warmer with high humidity. Last batch died in the mid 50's. Wilted.
I may have to start them in the garage and move them to the greenhouse once established.

After mice and cold I may end up a month behind. Just hopping I can get all those plants I currently have to harvest.

Happy Growing!

20191128 095042
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

After another hard work day and 4 vodkas and grapefruit (gotta be a healthy drinker😜) another day ends. Yesterday was a very thankful day for too many reasons to count.

The turkey
View attachment 915577
was one of my best ever. I usually roast a 24+ pounder so this 14 was a breeze. 2hrs 50min @ 325F, 1/2lb cold hard butter pieces between the skin and breast. If you look close you'll see the thyme and sage (home grown of course) inside. Out did myself. Moist and cut with a fork. Had my first sandwich tonight.

I did make it out and about with my phone.
View attachment 915578
Loving this greenhouse but if the weather doesn't warm up I may not get more to grow from seedling to plant.

4 days in the seed warmer and a few popped
View attachment 915579
I left the top off today but had to recover as the temps continue to drop and mice may still be lurking. Nothing in the traps last night but the night before a bit of fur in one. Bastards.
View attachment 915582
F 'em. They've taken too many.

The Kratky plants are still doing well, even the tomatoes and basil.
View attachment 915584View attachment 915586View attachment 915585
View attachment 915583View attachment 915588
The tomatoes and basil won't last through the 1st freeze. Not sure about the bush beans. Lettuce is killing it, all of those little ones have roots in the water
View attachment 915593
We'll be giving away lettuce by Christmas.

Yeah yeah, sunny so cal freezes? Today in Rainbow, CA, just 20 minutes North
View attachment 915589
Fun times. If the weather doesn't change soon I may have run into a wall with THIS winter grow.

Let's see if I can get these 2 Granddaddy Purples to mature
View attachment 915590
View attachment 915591
I'll be surprised if the seedlings make it. I should have the new ones in pots but 40F is expected tonight so they stay in the 50F warmer with high humidity. Last batch died in the mid 50's. Wilted.
I may have to start them in the garage and move them to the greenhouse once established.

After mice and cold I may end up a month behind. Just hopping I can get all those plants I currently have to harvest.

Happy Growing!
cram that inside hole of trap with cotton swab bro,they have to pull it to get bait and then there done,i had a pic of one licking the damn peanut butter off from the side a few years back,im telling ya it works,shit i just feed my plants and have a damn tent full of blood sucking mosqiutoes,hahahah yall got snow i got normal freaking heat and humid acting like it wants to rain for 3 days now hahahah

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

he just needs a propane burner

they do it for the trees around him a few times a yr :)
I got one
20191130 185404

Tank is empty and wasn't planning on using until maybe mid Feb when we will get a few weeks of low 30'sF at night.

I need to install geothermal. Toward the end of spring and end of rains and I'm feeling up to it I may dig it up.

Caught 3 mice in traps today. Today, lights running sun was out off and on. 3 frickin' mice and the seedlings were exposed but none touched. Neighbor suggests some dirty cat litter in a couple empty cat food cans. What have I got to lose? Baited all the traps again just to be safe.

This has been a bit more difficult then I anticipated. A few days of rain this coming week is expected with lows in the mid to lower 40's to continue.

Purchased more led bulbs and sockets. Got a MH and a ceramic/metal socket I can add to whatever I put together.

Found a local source for auto seeds. I gave 50 Chemgophers for 50 autos. I have several dozen 4" square pots and thinking of filling the pan in the small greenhouse, after fencing it off of course.

Never grown them before so this will be a learning experience. I understand they need less nutes but still grow well in coco.

I'll have to pot the new seedlings tomorrow, move them to the big greenhouse (no mice or slugs/snails, yet) and hope they start growing.

Last edited:
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

cram that inside hole of trap with cotton swab bro,they have to pull it to get bait and then there done,i had a pic of one licking the damn peanut butter off from the side a few years back,im telling ya it works,shit i just feed my plants and have a damn tent full of blood sucking mosqiutoes,hahahah yall got snow i got normal freaking heat and humid acting like it wants to rain for 3 days now hahahah
Got 3 today in traps. Baited all 4 again with peanut butter. I have glue traps I'll add tomorrow. Can't believe their population this year. I'm eliminating quite a few though. What next, eh? Maybe I better not ask.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Got 3 today in traps. Baited all 4 again with peanut butter. I have glue traps I'll add tomorrow. Can't believe their population this year. I'm eliminating quite a few though. What next, eh? Maybe I better not ask.
you seen in the video how the paddles didnt realy rotate,if you were to add some neddle bearings in there ha done deal they would never get to the peanut butter,or even oil or something to help it spin hahahah.
i had rats in the city,they were so bad they were eating my canaloupes,had one loss of a watermelon about 20 lbs,just ate a huge hole in it,i would sit on top of house at night when i couldnt sleep and snipe them bitchs ,neighbor didnt really mess with me much wonder why hahahahah,i think reno remembers some them bitchs i use to kill,im talking 5lbs or better about 20in long from snot to end of tail,big bastards ,i was so damn glad to move from there hahahah,never not one time in 5 years i lived there did any come into house,but my garden they had a hay day,then i had possums that would walk all the way down back privacy fence from house to house,killed 3 them bitchs,weirdest shit ever happened living in the city ,was at parts house and wife called me up said there is a hog at are front door,im like what you smoking women ,she say no im feeding this bitch bread at the front door,so went home sure as shit a damn pet pig of the neighbors was there eating all my damn bread and women just kept feeding it,i locked it up in back yard and later that day heard a comotion going on next door,that old hen had told the neighbor that owned the pig i killed it and probally had ate it,hahahah,her husband come running over and asked me about it,i told him it in back yard,opened gate he called the pig and the damn thing just followed him home hahahah

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

my thrash pickup was on tuesday each week,by friday my can stunk so bad,every week there were at least 5 rays in that can,that old ass hen next door would put food out for the feral cats and the cats would eat after the rats did if that will tell ya how many and how big they were,i never let up on there ass,steady supply going to dump every week hahahahah

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Looking good sir................
Thanks but I just looked at these 3 week old GDP's.
20191129 182723
20191129 182718

3 wks old, in coco. Looks like soil, bad soil at that.

I don't know. It's currently 48F and feels colder and will drop several more degrees over night. I've got a dozen popped
20191201 124134

They look pretty good in the warmth of the heater but very doubtful any will ever grow.

Thinking of setting up 6 Kratky bottles and put them on the seed warmer under the lights. I'm not heating greenhouses but this could be doable and interesting.

I'm afraid I'm done planting for the winter unless we get better weather but learned I can start a late outdoor grow in July and have a Christmas harvest. Planted the current grow Aug 25 and they'll be ready mid/late January.

I'll start up again by Feb/March unless we get some warmth. Plants just aren't growing in this cold.

I still have a dozen here and there and who knows if any of those new seedlings will survive.

Right now I need to plant more lettuce.👍

Latest posts

Top Bottom