Plumbers Grow Diary

• Thread starter PlumberSoCal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Funk junky

Funk junky

Everyone hates spiders but snakes are ok? As a plumber I have to at least tolerate spiders or I'd never be able to do the job. I crawl under houses and in atics a lot. Servicing my apprenticeship many moons ago I opened up a cabinet under a kitchen sink coated with cock roaches. That bothered me more than any spider. I had to lay on my back to work while the roaches would drop on me.
One of the many places my mum grew up in was Singapore, she would tell me how she had to check her shoes every morning for spiders and scorpions, and how one day my grandfather had to see off a cobra with a dustbin lid and broom lol

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

Well, since I've never got them going and out this early in the year I don't know how much to expect. Usually I pop seeds in mid May and in the ground June 1. Usually anywhere from 2-6 oz per plant of dried cured bud. The three females flowering now are the smallest I've ever grown - seeds popped end of Jan hoping on getting a jump on the season and growing several monsters, but they had other ideas. Crap weather, very unusal in these parts and it is what it is. Maybe an oz off of each, before drying?😂

It's been a blast and hell of a learning experience. I never tried growing weed in winter. From now on I'm a grow it year round. Pop a few seeds every month and see what happens. Still looking forward to a few of those little ones in the ground. 3 month head start and their root system must be incredible by now. 10-12 footers? We'll see!
I love it. I’ll be following whole way through.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Update 5-30

The weather report has changed again. Partly to mostly cloudy for the next 6 days with a 10-20% chance of rain but highs in the mid to upper 70's so not too bad after the past couple months.

Yesterday afternoon I placed a tape measure with the plants so I can get an idea of their growth rate. The three females are about 3' with the male a several inches past that mark. The little ones seemed to love the dry sunny weather and are starting to recover.

5 of 6 six seeds popped. The first at 8 days after planting. Cold weather really effects germination but in my experience produces stronger plants. Now I've got to find space for 'em.

Clones are doing a lot better now they're in the ground and this sunshine. I really thought I was going to lose them all after getting 100% survival rate. I think I'll keep my little greenhouse for another month or two just for clones.

Even if you don't like spiders that white one is awesome looking. I believe she's a Neoscona oaxacensis, Western Spotted Orb-weaver. Haven't seen her since 2:30 am yesterday morning but I've been in a lot of pain the past few days (the main reason I was up at 2 frickin' am) and will have to fight through it and aim for heavy couch lock again tonight after work. I may have to reschedule a job or two today and get home early to work on that couch locking.

I got a get moving so until next time, Happy Growing.

20190529 190135
20190529 190502
20190529 190449
20190529 190224
20190529 190237
20190529 190248
20190529 190259
20190530 085855
20190529 024252
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Update 6-1

June gloom is living up to its name. Overcast and sprinkling. We got a whole 3 hours of sun yesterday and today isn't very promising.

Not much growth to report. One female in the greenhouse is still stretching and added 2 inches.

The other female is putting all her energy into flower. Starting to get some snow on her. Day 25, a long ways to go yet.

My favorite in the ground added an inch up but starting to really fill out. I'm very tempted to top her but damn, she could really get tall so we wait. They've all added an inch, nothing to write home about.

Clones are once again looking like shit. With the 5 new seedlings I believe I will be replacing them this weekend. They look like compost material to me and really don't see any reason to continue allowing them space or my time. Here's the "best" one.

The seeds I put in 100% composted horse manure haven't popped yet but it's only been 4 days. Who knows with this weather.

You just knew I'd have to add a spider pic, huh. Not really a pic of a spider but a spider's home. Our common funnel web maker, Alopecosa kochi has set up camp next to that clone. Normally they get about 3/4" long but I've seen them over an inch. Very fast spider and one I don't mess with. I don't believe they're poisonous but understand they will bite if messed with so live and let live. Haven't seen her yet as they are nocturnal but you know by now I'll do my best to get a glamour shot for all you spider lovers🤣

My back had been on fire the past couple days so this weekend will be many bt's, ml's of tincture and caps with mucho rest which means the greenhouse sits out front for another week. Such is life, at least I've got my own medicine growing!

Babies doing well and need their own premium garden spots. Maybe tonight if I'm not too wasted.

Until next time, Happy Growing.

20190601 081220
20190601 081207
20190601 081051
20190601 081350
20190531 154841
20190601 081515
20190601 081525
20190601 081550
20190601 081555
20190601 091723
Funk junky

Funk junky

My phone got fixed last week but camera doesn’t work now.
My garden shed is spider city when can get camera working again I’ll show ya.
Hadn’t been down there for a while, when I went last time started clearing overgrow around it and a fox shot out from back of shed.
Went down couple days later and he came out again less alarmed this time could sense I wasn’t going to hurt it.
Then I noticed shed door was slightly ajar, he or she think it’s a he don’t look too dainty, he’s been sleeping there on some rock wool insulation through winter. So I put the brick back that keeps door shut.
Came back few days later and he had pushed it away and I could see prints from his claws on my bags of soil I’m amending.
Shut door again but got got a little upset when he decided best not try luck again, sort of miss him but could see neighbours complaining if I’d let him stay, anyway cold weather has gone now he will be fine.
Didn’t look like a new addition to this world looked mangy but been sleeping on rock wool can do that lol.
Ps remember at work years ago newbie was complaining about rock wool itching, one of the lads turned round and said you know how to stop that don’t you? Rub a bit behind both ears wasn’t pretty can tell you. Poor lad

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

My phone got fixed last week but camera doesn’t work now.
My garden shed is spider city when can get camera working again I’ll show ya.
Hadn’t been down there for a while, when I went last time started clearing overgrow around it and a fox shot out from back of shed.
Went down couple days later and he came out again less alarmed this time could sense I wasn’t going to hurt it.
Then I noticed shed door was slightly ajar, he or she think it’s a he don’t look too dainty, he’s been sleeping there on some rock wool insulation through winter. So I put the brick back that keeps door shut.
Came back few days later and he had pushed it away and I could see prints from his claws on my bags of soil I’m amending.
Shut door again but got got a little upset when he decided best not try luck again, sort of miss him but could see neighbours complaining if I’d let him stay, anyway cold weather has gone now he will be fine.
Didn’t look like a new addition to this world looked mangy but been sleeping on rock wool can do that lol.
Ps remember at work years ago newbie was complaining about rock wool itching, one of the lads turned round and said you know how to stop that don’t you? Rub a bit behind both ears wasn’t pretty can tell you. Poor lad
Rock wool behind the ears? That's just mean. Funny as hell though.

Funk junky

Funk junky

Yeah mean but came with territory in those situations you just tread water and make sure you’re not bottom of food chain.
Yep you got to know the tricks, go get me a left handed screwdriver or a can of scotch mist, go ask matey in office for a long wheight(wait) they would play along after five minutes say long enough for you! Ask for some sky hooks the list goes on.
Mean but I don’t think done any harm at all.
Made boys into men now you get braindeads with a sence of entitlement that don’t have the insentive to do the job properly so they don’t get picked on!!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Update 6-2

KILL ALL THE GOPHERS!

I've had enough. I must eliminate the gophers. I'll be spending the day researching. Enough!

She lost her tap root but did have a couple strong side roots. I dug her up, put her in water, powdered root hormone and in 5 gal pot. I'll take as many clones as I can, I've got to cut her up anyway.

I assume she's been laying there since early this morning. Had a young opossum on the patio about 3am this morming and reminded me I had to add cages.

Looks like the gopher found a weak spot in the chicken wire and had a feast. 😠

Luckily no sun today or she'd have been cooked, so there's that.

Wishing YOU Happy Growing, I'm pissed.

20190602 141600
20190602 143752
Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

Update 6-2

KILL ALL THE GOPHERS!

I've had enough. I must eliminate the gophers. I'll be spending the day researching. Enough!

She lost her tap root but did have a couple strong side roots. I dug her up, put her in water, powdered root hormone and in 5 gal pot. I'll take as many clones as I can, I've got to cut her up anyway.

I assume she's been laying there since early this morning. Had a young opossum on the patio about 3am this morming and reminded me I had to add cages.

Looks like the gopher found a weak spot in the chicken wire and had a feast. 😠

Luckily no sun today or she'd have been cooked, so there's that.

Wishing YOU Happy Growing, I'm pissed.
Those greedy gophers I look forward to seeing the way you get rid of em

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Those greedy gophers I look forward to seeing the way you get rid of em
Personally I'd like to catch them alive, hold their eyelids open with toothpicks and make 'em watch a Pawn Stars mega marathon.

Seriously I'll be buying more traps and try several different animal pees. Poison is to iffy. Do not want to poison any other animals.

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

Personally I'd like to catch them alive, hold their eyelids open with toothpicks and make 'em watch a Pawn Stars mega marathon.

Seriously I'll be buying more traps and try several different animal pees. Poison is to iffy. Do not want to poison any other animals.
I laughed wayyy to hard at the pawn stars mega marathon 😂😂😂😂😂😂 I’m interested too see if any pees work I know it’s weird but I watched people use coyote pee to scare off other coyotes

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I laughed wayyy to hard at the pawn stars mega marathon 😂😂😂😂😂😂 I’m interested too see if any pees work I know it’s weird but I watched people use coyote pee to scare off other coyotes
I'm not a tv watcher. News, cooking channel, a movie on occasion, reruns of Married with Children at least once a month, and football. I can't watch anything without either dvring or pausing for 15-20 minutes so I can fast forward through the commercials. I'd catch my wife watching pawn stars years ago and remembered why I no longer watch tv.

I've heard both good and bad on the pees. I've tried a lot of things that did nothing. If I can figure out how to fill their holes with gas and blow 'em up. I've seen the videos but expensive and must be licensed. Maybe I can figure something out this fall before planting winter garden. I want him DEAD. His family, DEAD!

DETtoPDX

DETtoPDX

Wish I could do an outdoor grow, plants in the garden look happy. Crazy how nature remedied your clones, healthy soil is so important and a little compost goes a long way. I would rotor-till as much compost as possible into the bed every spring!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Wish I could do an outdoor grow, plants in the garden look happy. Crazy how nature remedied your clones, healthy soil is so important and a little compost goes a long way. I would rotor-till as much compost as possible into the bed every spring!
I've double dug the north half 10-20' twice by hand. The rocks would kill a rotor-till. Pulled out thousands of pounds and still finding more. I've only dug areas out of the South half and will be putting a greenhouse over it so no more digging. Planning on framing about 3' out from the greenhouse walls making raised beds for potatoes, onions and garlic. You bet I'll have brand new chicken wire under the whole thing. I also have 3 bathtubs I can use in there.

DETtoPDX

DETtoPDX

I've double dug the north half 10-20' twice by hand. The rocks would kill a rotor-till. Pulled out thousands of pounds and still finding more. I've only dug areas out of the South half and will be putting a greenhouse over it so no more digging. Planning on framing about 3' out from the greenhouse walls making raised beds for potatoes, onions and garlic. You bet I'll have brand new chicken wire under the whole thing. I also have 3 bathtubs I can use in there.

Yeah you can make some insane raised beds, people do it a lot.

Top Bottom