Post your Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
spacebomb

spacebomb

SIMPLE as in small brains? :-) haha, i would really. Ill give owt a go once sea:-)

S

slap14

Would it be WORTH me getting All the DAILY ,FRESH OYSTER SHELLS THAT THE FISHMONGER IN MY MARKET HAS OFFERDE ME, FOR FREE, most be sommet i can use them for?

You would have to dry them out for quite a while and then grind them way down to get the benefit. The Oyster shell meal/flour if fairly cheap like $20 for a 25lb bag. The main reason I use is for the Ca witch also helps Mg uptake, soil aeration and PH buffering.

On the Guano I only use in soil mixes and in a couple teas. I personally would not use as a stand alone top dress. I always wear a high quality respirator not just a mask when dealing with guano. I always take the safe route as the infections from that stuff can be serious.

Here is a link to Down to Earth Product info

I love their stuff

Slap

spacebomb

spacebomb

Thanks bro. I REALLY NEVER KNEW IT WAS SOOO DANGEROUS:( SHIT THE AMOUNT OF THAT SHIT IVE SUCKED IN:( NASTY. . THANKS FOR THE LINK BROTHER:-)

J

jcash

Looking back at your mix the one thing I would add is Oyster Shell Meal, the dolomite takes quite a while to be real effective. I have found that although I like Subs mix it always ran a little low as far as PH for me. The Oyster Shell would help a lot with that.

Being that your in large pots you should not need anything other than good water and good tea. The soil should be fine unless your running something 14+ weeks. I would always add a little Nitrogen mix on the floor of the containers ala the Rev just to be safe. Also almost all organic nutes are going to drop the PH of your solution a lot so I would stay away from those and stick with the tea's, The Rev has some great tea that does include some light doses of nutes, I included one in a earlier post in this thread.

Good luck Cash

Slap

J

jcash

Thanx slap I thought about the oysyer shell meal for the calcium but thought like spacebonb that It was pretty much the same thing as diatom(silica stuff). Can I top dress with oyster shell meal or should I wait till next batch. Glad to hear I can just use the tea and h2o. Think ill try T,T,h2o. What would u use with the guano to top dress. Was thinking of adding it on week 4.

S

slap14

Thanx slap I thought about the oysyer shell meal for the calcium but thought like spacebonb that It was pretty much the same thing as diatom(silica stuff). Can I top dress with oyster shell meal or should I wait till next batch. Glad to hear I can just use the tea and h2o. Think ill try T,T,h2o. What would u use with the guano to top dress. Was thinking of adding it on week 4.

Jcash I personally would not top dress with any guano unless I were to cover it with some mulch. You really don't want that stuff blowing around as it can be dangerous to breathe. I prefer to top dress with castings or a little blood meal. I like to add the following to the bottom of my pot. I spray the bottom of my pot with water and add a couple tbs of the rev's 2 part blood meal, 1 part feather meal, 2 part hi N guano and 1 part oyster shell mix.

You could try to mix a little oyster shell in but I don't know if it would breakdown fast enough but it may be worth a try. I always had low PH just using dolomite but with the extra oyster shell it was about perfect;)

I would use the guano in a tea but again with the size pots you are using you probably won't need the extra nutrients. Look back at page 3 or 4 of this thread and I included one of Rev's teas for flowering that uses guano but make sure it is the right king of guano NPK wise. I also included my mix earlier in this thread to give you an idea how much oyster shell flour I use.

Good luck cash can'y wait to see your girls in full flower:)

spacebomb

spacebomb

Its a KINDA RULE OF THUMB IS ABOUT 4,5 .WEEKS INTO BLOOM AS A TOP DRESSING. JUST A FEW TABLESPOONS. AND CULTIVATE IT INTO THE TOP OF US SOIL. :-)

K

krystalkola

It is said that legumes can fix atmospheric nitrogen, but I believe (can't recall exactly right now) that certain deficient conditions are required for them to do that. I find, with my limited experience, that simply having something growing over the ground confers a benefit. I've played around, and like growing them all because it looks like a small garden, and I can munch on it. I'm going to start including lettuces in my cover crops, and then I'll be able to harvest those micro-greens.

So, babysitters/propagators of soil biology, facilitators and maintenance workers, if you will--that's how I consider my cover crops. I work toward what is called a 'guild' in the permaculture world, and so use as many various plants as I can. My list includes at least two, if not three different types of mustard, fenugreek, cumin, amaranth, clover, California black-eye peas... umm... what else...? I never put any markers, just grabbed stuff and threw it out there. One day I went through the pantry with my granddaughter, even the popcorn sprouted, but I didn't use it as a cover crop. I feel that corn and squash are more demanding of N than cannabis.

Try different stuff, that's what I say, see what happens. Just don't let it get too big or out of hand, and try to return to the soil as much as you can, because that's a form of the nutrients you put in, ya dig? Otherwise, re-amend as you feel is necessary (usually organic matter and some minerals).
I love your naturisstic attitude very refreshing

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

Thi
Blazeoneup PK soil recipe
1 x Bag of Ocean Forest
1 x Bag of Canna Coco
1 X Bag of Happy Frog
1/2 Bag Chunky Perlite
30# Earth worm castings
6 cup pulverized dolomite lime 2-1 Cal/mag ratio
6 cups Bone Meal
3 cups Blood Meal
3 Cups Azomite
3 cups Greensand
3 cups Kelp Meal

I also employ bennie root , foliar , and nute packs into my ACT tea. every other week. besides that straight aerated water and the dirt does the work

This looked great until I got to the ocean forest, happy frog part. Just imagine how much better everyone's plants would be if ocean forest was of the market. In fact better bags of soil are less expensive. No reason to use that stuff. But I really digged all your other additives. Very nice..

spacebomb

spacebomb

Ya your correct bro. Lol. I use organic soil and decided on a little change up about 2,yrs ago. Got a few bags of that eh ..tossed it all in 7,gal pots with my seedlings, THEN I decided to, have a look at the Lovelly new, soil, . Haha. Well, then I realised that I should have looked at it in the shop. anyway, main. Point. I had 2 ,go STRAIT back out and buy a ton of bottles of this, that, and the other. Lol

dutch69lover

dutch69lover

Not everyone needs to fill a 300 gallon planter with an all organic soil mix...but if you do this recipe arrives with a serious pedigree

6 bales Sunshine Natural and organic #4

6 cubic feet Nutri Rich high-calcium chicken poop

4 cubic feet super soil Earthworm Castings

4 cubic feet Pahroc Perlite #4

20 lbs steamed bone meal

15 lbs kelp

15 lbs oyster shell

15 lbs dolomite lime

15 lbs gypsum

Mix all the ingredients together, water the mix once thoroughly, and then let it sit four to six weeks, until the internal temperature cools to 80 degrees.

This is "Humboldt Locals" hot soil mix. He grows monster 10 + pound plants all outdoor with this soil mix. Ever since I read a out this couple years ago in HT I been using it and it does wonders. Adjust quantities to fit your needs

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Thank you for posting that! Runnin Tom Hill's mix right now. Cannot wait to give that a spin.

SunGrown

SunGrown

the mix dutch lover posted is almost my same mix, minus the lime and the gypsum

any mix that starts with any type of promix product as the main ingredient will grow huge trees, I buy it by the totes though, not the bales, same with the perlite, big totes are cheaper

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

He bought it by the pallet load too. If you havent already, check out Humbolt Local's outdoor thread stickyed in the outdoor forum. Worth the read from start to finish, mostly.

dutch69lover

dutch69lover

the mix dutch lover posted is almost my same mix, minus the lime and the gypsum

any mix that starts with any type of promix product as the main ingredient will grow huge trees, I buy it by the totes though, not the bales, same with the perlite, big totes are cheaper
How much is a tote.....price wise and cu ft wise

SunGrown

SunGrown

a tote is enough to fill roughly 2 300 gallon pots and I have good friends that run the stores so I don't wanna post the price I pay here.

SunGrown

SunGrown

if you use promix you want hp or sunshine #4 and add lots of mycos plus the other ammendments

Patanjali

Patanjali

I'm voting for skipping the Promix, going to Home Cheapo or Blowe's and grabbing some OMRI Peat moss for about $12 (think that's what I paid) for 3 cu ft. Take the cash you save, buy yourself a big bag of mycorrhizae (personally, I like mykos from xtreme gardening, but there are a lot of good ones out there), some aeration (pumice, lava rock, scoria, rice hulls, bio char, perlite, whatever floats your boat) - use that for your base. Save some cash, and end up with a better media imho. Maybe this has already been discussed here. If so I apologize.

Stoned and rambling,
Peace
P-

Latest posts

Top Bottom