Post your Organic Soil Mix

Flora Bloom is actually pretty good in terms of a partially synthetic fertilizer. It's low NPK, so it's not going to kill microbes, and it stains so badly because of its humic acid content. I feel it can be used in a 'best practices' style.

You can lynch me now.
Who said lynch lol. To each their own..I just been off the bottled stuff for quite awhile. Now somebody get a rope lol

I tried so many different mixes over the years... my main mix in the end was a simple mix of Perlite, Coco, worm castings and peat.. I then simply added Plant starter plus and walla..
I then found the bomb of all soils... Roots Organic Mix.. I reuse it up to 3x's without refreshing, then start adding new soil to it.. I've actually grown plants out in the new soil when I first get it without a feed except a PK booster at weeks 5 + 6 running Auto Flowering plants and they love this shit.. the best soil I've found and trust me when I say, tried them all over past 12yrs... even did Subcools Super Mix back when I knew him pretty well.. expensive for a small grower to do also.. nope, hooked on Roots at $16 for 1.5cu ft.. peace

Pro mix, if indoors I tend to use mostly coco as Ffof is peat based
Ffof
Perlight
Vermiculite
Worm castings
Happy frog all purpose 7-4-5
Roots organics Uprising grow
Roots Elemental
Roots foundation
Rare earth excelerite
Greensand
Roots organism xl

I pre water my soil with half strength Neptune's harvest and general organics liquid diamond black at full

You can plant directly into this mix, I use a two to three inch Vermiculite hole in the center when sprouting seeds so they can work there own way into the soil, had great results

This formulation is extracted from readings on the subject on thcfarmer.com and a desire to create a reproducible medium from available products.

When properly executed, six bags of purchased goods will blend together to yield a very
reliable organic soil.

It is demonstrated to carry a plant through 9 weeks of flower in a three gallon pot.
Water, light, humidity (most like about 50%), and keep the temps in the 75 to 85 deg F range.
Heavy watering every 3-5 days.
one bag of each:

ProMix HP large bale
compost large bag from Down to Earth (DTE)
Worm castings from DTE if you can find them or the best you can get.
3 pound bag of blood meal
3 pound bag of bone meal
DTE high P Bat Guano (0-7-0) or like product ie. rock phosphate.

Mix well and use.

If smaller quantities are wanted the bucket recipe is:
ProMix - one five gallon bucket
Compost - 6 pounds 7.5 quarts
worm castings - 3.8 pounds 2.75 quarts
blood meal - 136g 210 ml.
bone meal - 136g 220 ml.
bat guano - 384 ml.

Regarding the supersoil recipe I just posted.
I have been using this same mix for about three years.
I'm presently feeding a weekly aerated tea.
Into three gallons of water in a five gallon bucket I throw a hand full of ground alfalfa, small grab of granulated see weed, small grab of neem meal, small spoon of Capulators foliar or root microbial inoculation.
I give it one glug of high P fish fertilizer and a first dose of molasses.

Every day I give it a stir after adding some molasses and any water that has come from my worm bins.
If it is frothy I add a few drops of a more oily fish fertilizer which breaks the foam when stired in.

You should also mention that that mix must be cooked for a minimum of 45 days, 65 plus would be best before use, very similar to super soil...but not lol, looks like a great recipe tho man, I do bet it performs very well

I guess I am asking if ANYBODY has soil tests. Other than just listing ingredients and posting it works for them? I keep saying it, but this thread is lacking science.
I got some soil tests done.

Do you know the weight of your soil mix and/or the amounts of inputs used?

I don't know why more people do not test???

MAybe the lack of understanding of how to test?
How to interpet the test results, and then how to do the math to amend the soil???
Best $25-30 spent imho.

Anyone want the directions of the how what where why when?

Here are a few tests of bagged soils.
FYI: for those who want to understand the math
The phosphorus number on the test is -P205 per acre and not yet converted to P.
Test below shows 681 lbs per acre of phorphorus.
681 is the p205 per acre.
681 x 0.435 = 296.235 lbs per acre P
Vermi Fire bagged Soil:
vermifire.png

Empire Builder by Sanctuary Soil:
(Please note: This test was done in ppm. )
227 ppm P which is 452lbs per acre P
P205 is 1039.6 pounds per acre in empire builder.
TO convert the rest of the numbers to compare to vermifire.
ppm x 2 = pounds per acre.

Empire builder in lbs per acre:
Sulfur: 442lbs per acre
Phosphorus: 452lbs per acre
Calcium: 3532 lbs per acre
Magnesium: 670lbs per acre
Potassium: 1182 lbs per acre
Sodium: 334lbs per acre.

empire_builder.jpg

Hope that is helpful and educational to someone.
With all due respect.

Both of those soils are just ok huh? Vermifire being clearly better. Glad I never went with sanctuary soil.

I'll post up some fresh results for fun.
That is what happens when someone does not want to test the soil or amending or mixing your own. Neither are as good as what someone can mix on there own. Or take a base mix and amend it.

That is why you take a sample and test it before buying the soil.

Gotta think about the home the biology needs. Excessive P is not ideal home for the fungi to perform.

Fresh results? That looks like the test from 8 months ago and the tcec is cut off?
Clackamascoots Soil Mix From Rare Earth In Grass Valley

If you wanna post up the newest test can compare before and after growing in that mix?
I noticed my p level drops after each run and the OM% increases.

Hope the soil performs well for you on the next run.

Here is the latest test from rare earth. Dated 2/5/2015.

Hope all is growing well.

I am kinda surprised that no one double checked the math on the build a soil mix or the rare earth mix.

Most people do not test there soil.

To make things worse if someone finally tests there soil they do not test for nitrogen.
See the above tests no nitrogen levels.

If I pay a professional I expect them to do the job right. This is a good reminder for me. DO not trust anyone and double check others work.
People make mistakes and best to correct them.

Do not use 1/2 cup per cubic foot of neem seed meal!!!

neem seed meal is 6-1-2
1/2 cup of neem seed meal weights 4oz.
1 cubic foot is 7.48 gallons of soil
1 acre foot is equal to 43559.9 cubic feet
4 oz x 43559.9 cu ft = 174236 oz.
174236 oz = 10889.75 lbs.
That rate converted to 1 acre is 10,889.75 lbs neem cake.
6% of 10,890 is how actual N is calculated.
That is 653 lbs of N per acre just from neem cake.

Most crops require 1-200 lbs of n per acre.

Add in the N from other inputs and you soil mix will overdose your plants with nitrogen!

There will also be excessive P once you add in crab meal at 1/2 cup per cubic foot.

IF anyone need help on the math to make a organic soil mix lease ask. Seems like growers know how to do the math for making a custom nutrient profile. Do not see much sharing on calculating inputs for organic soil.

Hope all is growing well!

I have noticed this as well @leadsled. Do you think the recipe is a secret from Grass Valley, because when I tested the soil it came out perfect IMO. I have been trying to recreate the mix myself, but the tests come out way off.

I have been considering another route for my 40 yards needed this season. I was thinking of just ordering 40 yards of 33% pumice, 33% peat, 15% ewc and 18% diesel compost. Getting that tested at Logan Labs, then send those over to Michael Astera and have him send me what I need. I am tired of crappy soil, I want a Ferrari.

I have noticed this as well @leadsled. Do you think the recipe is a secret from Grass Valley, because when I tested the soil it came out perfect IMO. I have been trying to recreate the mix myself, but the tests come out way off.

I have been considering another route for my 40 yards needed this season. I was thinking of just ordering 40 yards of 33% pumice, 33% peat, 15% ewc and 18% diesel compost. Getting that tested at Logan Labs, then send those over to Michael Astera and have him send me what I need. I am tired of crappy soil, I want a Ferrari.

No secret. People are not perfect so need to double check the work. Even if you hire a soil analyst.

I can help you and I will balance your soil and also take into consideration the biology. And the N and P levels.

I am happy to double check the work for you! two heads are better than one. Be Agile!

Most important thing to do is weight the soil.
1. mix base. 2. test it. 3. amend and add aeration.

I would add the sulfates as well then will get it more dialed than rock dust alone. Or add the rock dust then calculate what else is needed. amend and retest.
16.5% compost needs to be low in K!

ok, I'll bite. How do you keep the CEC levels high, along with the organic matter, if you take out compost? Are you saying pay for extra EWC? Or do you have something else that will be a substitute?

I would love your help with my soil next year. Should we do this through PM's? People could learn a thing or two if we make our own thread, or continue in this one?

Top Bottom