Post your Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ABENAKI

ABENAKI

Some very spiffy blends there folks! Nice.

My first grow I used nothing but Happy Frog soil in 5 gallon buckets, a few doses of General Organics Bloom in the flower stage and GO Ca/mg. Nothing more. Great Soil and natural sun, baby....and good genetic beans.

For next year I'll get fancy with Root Organics soil as a base and some other goodies (worm castings and other organic (clean) nutes)
Yeahman ive done a bunch of soils, experiments and i conclude until im able to walk
good

Surgical staples no  01 by slephoto d4tel3g
i have been buying happy frog ....then just adding a similar recipe as tattoojim here. Used happy frog for base.
Chunky perlite
Vermiculite
Kelp neal
Alfalfa meal
Guanos high in N and P
Azomite
Greensand
Dolo lime
Gypsum
Soft rock phosphate
Epsom salts
Caps packs
Im experimenting with morgan horse shit too.

FarmeR.Jay

FarmeR.Jay

This is my first real run with organics and heres my recipe

* 8 gal total *
Veg
6 gal FFOF
1 gal chunky perlite
1 gal worm castings
4 tbls rainbow mix grow
4 tbls lime
dash of mico madness

Bloom
6 gal FFOF
1 gal perlite
1 gallon worm castings
8 tbls rainbow mix grow
8 tbls greensand
8 tbls jamacian guano
8 tbls indonesian guano
16 tbls dolimite lime

They also get a weekly ewc guano tea
So far they love it 4 weeks 12/12

What's going on googles curious about the soil mix & the tea what does "ewc " stand for ?

FarmeR.Jay

FarmeR.Jay

This is my first real run with organics and heres my recipe

* 8 gal total *
Veg
6 gal FFOF
1 gal chunky perlite
1 gal worm castings
4 tbls rainbow mix grow
4 tbls lime
dash of mico madness

Bloom
6 gal FFOF
1 gal perlite
1 gallon worm castings
8 tbls rainbow mix grow
8 tbls greensand
8 tbls jamacian guano
8 tbls indonesian guano
16 tbls dolimite lime

They also get a weekly ewc guano tea
So far they love it 4 weeks 12/12
& does it have to sit for any time ? Or is t ready for use soon as it's mixed ??

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What's going on googles curious about the soil mix & the tea what does "ewc " stand for ?
Earth worm castings.

I personally don't believe that Epsom salt is really a good addition to a mix due to its high solubility. It just seems to me that it would wash out within a few waterings.

FarmeR.Jay

FarmeR.Jay

Earth worm castings.

I personally don't believe that Epsom salt is really a good addition to a mix due to its high solubility. It just seems to me that it would wash out within a few waterings.
Thanks maiden ! Yor such a big help !

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Bulldog, you have inspired me today. After I went on a trip to dreadful Boulder, CO to source the remaining ingredients to my soil I went fishing. I got pretty stoned on some gorilla glue, saw a bat flying in the middle of winter during the day, and decided that you are right about soil testing. If we are going through the effort with all this we might as well do it right.

So when you do a test on your soil, do you mix up all whole yard or more at once then test it...or would mixing up say 1 cf of the ratios work, just for testings sake? I believe I saw in a post earlier that it didn't matter if the soil was sitting for a while or not.

Also...pumice is hard to find. And real expensive, especially bought off the internet. My drainage 1/3 of the mix will be 50% rice hulls , 25% perlite, and 25% silica rock. I may miss out on some minerals by not using pumice, what do you all think?
Yes, that is the ticket. Mix up 1cf to test,weight, and amend. Then mix the whole batch.
25-33% compost, 33-50% peat, and 25-33% aeration.
No pumice will be fine. Make sure to rinse the aeration well.
If you have any questions please ask.

Kalikush

Kalikush

Can someone recommend one of these easy organic recipes that I can make now and practice on veggies? I'm still building my grow room but would like to 'practice' my organic soil on tomatoes and other veggies to gain some experience in the meantime.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Can someone recommend one of these easy organic recipes that I can make now and practice on veggies? I'm still building my grow room but would like to 'practice' my organic soil on tomatoes and other veggies to gain some experience in the meantime.
I'd recommend googling "coots" soil mix, it's easy to follow and the ingredients are readily available. I'm no expert, but I believe it's a tried and true recipe. The quality of your compost will be extremely important so don't cheap out on it. Buildasoil.com is a great website to study up on.

Kalikush

Kalikush

I'd recommend googling "coots" soil mix, it's easy to follow and the ingredients are readily available. I'm no expert, but I believe it's a tried and true recipe. The quality of your compost will be extremely important so don't cheap out on it. Buildasoil.com is a great website to study up on.
Thanks for the info, I was just thinking I need to start some compost but that may have to wait a few months. I might need to find a recipe without compost for now but I'll have a look at your recommendations, I appreciate it.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Thanks for the info, I was just thinking I need to start some compost but that may have to wait a few months. I might need to find a recipe without compost for now but I'll have a look at your recommendations, I appreciate it.
I would highly recommend seeking out some compost. Do you have a local feed store or anything like that nearby? Other than that, definitely start your own compost pile, it's a worthwhile thing to do for so many reasons. You can also look into making your own earth worm casting by starting a worm bin. I just recently did that and I have to say it's a fun little project.

Kalikush

Kalikush

Dude, mix with no compost? Pay for quality soil man, it's worth it.
I really don't know my way around organics. I've only used FF soil in the past but looks like making my own will require quality compost to keep it live.

I would highly recommend seeking out some compost. Do you have a local feed store or anything like that nearby? Other than that, definitely start your own compost pile, it's a worthwhile thing to do for so many reasons. You can also look into making your own earth worm casting by starting a worm bin. I just recently did that and I have to say it's a fun little project.
Oh ok, I'm sure there's a feed store or two around here, That would help me out if they sell compost. I'll be able to do a lot more hopefully by summer but just a bit limited on space at the moment.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Yes, that is the ticket. Mix up 1cf to test,weight, and amend. Then mix the whole batch.
25-33% compost, 33-50% peat, and 25-33% aeration.
No pumice will be fine. Make sure to rinse the aeration well.
If you have any questions please ask.

Thank you. Much appreciation. I'll be mixing up my soil hopefully sooner than later, but waiting for my compost to finish. Should just be a few more weeks I hope. Looking forward to my test results, lots of effort put into my composting...but its a fun project. I find this way more fun and interesting than mixing bottled nutes.

Kalikush

Kalikush

Thank you. Much appreciation. I'll be mixing up my soil hopefully sooner than later, but waiting for my compost to finish. Should just be a few more weeks I hope. Looking forward to my test results, lots of effort put into my composting...but its a fun project. I find this way more fun and interesting than mixing bottled nutes.
How long did it take for your compost to be ready? I may go pick up a compost bin this weekend.

Underthesun

Underthesun

How long did it take for your compost to be ready? I may go pick up a compost bin this weekend.

Outdoor cold compost I can get finished in 60-90 days if its nice and warm out. Worm compost takes more like 6 months for me right now but hope to get things rolling with more bins along with some outdoor piles, then I'll be harvesting more often and more quantity. You can compost different types of animal shit really fast, but I don't do it...but lots of people do and maybe know more than me. Its just really hard to burn your plants and mess up using vermicompost and cold compost, and it works very well, so I stick to that.

Kalikush

Kalikush

Outdoor cold compost I can get finished in 60-90 days if its nice and warm out. Worm compost takes more like 6 months for me right now but hope to get things rolling with more bins along with some outdoor piles, then I'll be harvesting more often and more quantity. You can compost different types of animal shit really fast, but I don't do it...but lots of people do and maybe know more than me. Its just really hard to burn your plants and mess up using vermicompost and cold compost, and it works very well, so I stick to that.
Wow 6 months is a long time, a lot more than I thought, I'll just have to plan it out a bit more. Sounds like you're done no the same. I'll look into vermicompost and cold compost, that sounds like what I want since it's harder to burn your plants with it.

Soilbrother1

Soilbrother1

1 and a half large bags of roots organic 707
2 cups of humus
25 to 50 lbs of organic worm castings
5 lbs steamed bone meal
5 lbs Bloom bat guano
5 lbs blood meal
4 cups of glacial rock dust
¾ cup Epson salts
½ cup sweet lime (dolomite)
½ cup azomite (trace elements)
2 tbsp powdered humic acid
1 cup of insect frass
1 cup of alfalfa
1 cup of kelp meal

I cook it for a minimum of one month and also reuse. ROLS.

Here is where I get great results!
Note: I only use this when I am doing the final potting.

I mix this in 7 gallon cloth pots in the following ratio.

-5 very large scoops of the above formula.
-7 very large scoops of happy frog
- 7 very large scoops of Batch 64 coco coir.

I mix well and top with Roots Organic 707 as to not burn the roots. I add a layer of Orgegonism on top of the 707.

And of course, I still use a weekly AACT with a touch of mammoth P, aloe vera juice, and coconut water.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Wow 6 months is a long time, a lot more than I thought, I'll just have to plan it out a bit more. Sounds like you're done no the same. I'll look into vermicompost and cold compost, that sounds like what I want since it's harder to burn your plants with it.

Yeah, I was thinking it would be faster too...and I think it can be. I just don't have enough worms yet to speed up the process. Instead of spending a lot of money on lots of worms, a year ago I decided to just buy $40 worth of worms and then grow my population. Over the last year I have probably trippled my worm population and I have enough vermicompost for this years outdoor grow, which would have cost me over $300 I believe. It is extra work, but its fun. I'd say get started, you won't get instant payoff but in the long run I think its worth it.

But I'm thinking to speed up the process, I will use more worms in less space. I have read that this will increase production speed. My plan is to keep growing my worm population and see how many I can get, then I plan on building up my soil all over my property.

Top Bottom