Post your Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oregonized

oregonized

1st pic: Vesicular andesite, looks like BB's beat the shit out of it, but normally it caused by gas bubbles similar to pumice. Less silica content than pumice...
2nd Pic: Inside andesite, vesicles penetrate inside, this how it was cooked into shape. [Also little nodules of pure quartz, sulfur minerals, maybe gold, etc. etc.
3rd Pic:
True basalt black as night low silica content.
4th pic: Granite with something, not a pure granite, I think, but this is a terrible example say something like pink or salmon colored granite....
5th pic: Clay's formed under similar process but mix in water and they break apart quite easily
Last pic: more vesicular andesite but w/out nodules inside, purer silica/Al combo probably.

Last Last pic is a Rock diagram of chemical constituents. Sorry for the horrible quality, if you have a bigger screen it might be worthwhile to peruse.

Andesite Inside the vesicles Basalt Granite maybe Clay Basaltic andesite Rocks

I don't have a lot of dirt, so this is easier by hand for now, but for larger you many need an Actual rock crusher....:)

Crush up, Screen into 1/4"-1/8", separate bigger back into crush pile and filter the rock dust out of the bag into 200 micron filter. I used 100, because it was all I had or maybe it was 170m?

oregonized

oregonized

I thought gypsum didn't shift pH. I see you've learned about malt. ;)

When you say home-made rock dust, I'd like to know more about what you did.

One last post, gotta get em out!

Yes, the barley malt tip is from the Devil, but even they can be right too sometimes....I have a local brewshop with three kinds, so I bought a pound each of the light and dark.

Here is the mineral analysis I found from Briess, who make a common generic malt that is copied, very similar to Blackstrap Molass.

http://www.diamalt.co.uk/nutritional.htm

Maiden, have you ever messed around with Sucanat? I bought some the other day thinking it was something special, lol. Might just go into my drinking tea....

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The Devil got his barley idea from me, not that he'd ever admit it. ;) I've only messed a little bit with Sucanat, saw no real reason to go that expensive route when panocha can be found for so much cheaper. Still love my malted barley extract. I've stopped wasting money on liquid molasses and am getting dry in bulk now.

spacebomb

spacebomb

not to mention ALL THAT EXTRA CARBON :-)all good man.if i had out door beds all my ols filters would get mixed in to up the carbon content then biochat.

oregonized

oregonized

If you take hardwood pieces to ash instead of bio-char, you can have a source of K. Although it will need to be re-applied for the ground, maybe not in small [>2 gallon] pots....
And bio-char won't replace the mineral aspects of green-sand but it can replace the physical aspect like drainage, etc. The best way I have heard char described is, "Condo's for microlife".

Glacial rock dust is a green sand alternative.
or.....Find a riverbank and scree some sand, about the same. [But you would need a ph Pen at the very least for this or read up on local geology....]

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

If you take hardwood pieces to ash instead of bio-char, you can have a source of K. Although it will need to be re-applied for the ground, maybe not in small [>2 gallon] pots....
And bio-char won't replace the mineral aspects of green-sand but it can replace the physical aspect like drainage, etc. The best way I have heard char described is, "Condo's for microlife".

Glacial rock dust is a green sand alternative.
or.....Find a riverbank and scree some sand, about the same. [But you would need a ph Pen at the very least for this or read up on local geology....]
How about soft rock phosphate ?

oregonized

oregonized

Greensand replacement
I would say you would be better off with something like Diatomaceous earth. SRP is high in P 20% +- and Ca 15%, so even as a physical replacement its not that ideal either because of the calcium. Does have plenty of micronutrients though. Good bone meal/ bat poo alternative...

Even though dia earth is lower in K, than greensand, much of greensand's K is unavailable anyway.

oregonized

oregonized

Kelp meal is another greensand alternative but gets spendy, which sucks.

or you can be crazy retarded like me and make your own Nettle Meal. It doesn't hurt that much anymore to get stung, sometimes I lean my bad back against em bare....quite a relief....

Top Bottom