Post your Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

All good. That being said, anything else you would recommend adding or taking away? Do the amounts of the amendments seem too little or too heavy?

Depends on your grow style. I would go lighter and top dress through the season personally, but thats just me.

Rice hulls are a good substitute for the perlite with the additional benefit of providing a slow release silica.

GockBuds

GockBuds

Will adding more earth worm castings to already cooked soil mix hurt anything? I think I made my soil mix pretty light on the nutrients and wanted to add another 5 to 10 lbs of ewc to it, if i add it now it will be 2 weeks before plants will go in the mix.

GockBuds

GockBuds

Same thing with Epsom salt. Didn't put any Epsom salt in the mix and was maybe wanting to add some, will that cause any issues adding it AFTER the mix has already cooked for a month. Can someone explain the benefits of it??

TheLonelyStoner89

TheLonelyStoner89

Here goes my soil mix

1 big bag of Fox Farn Ocean Forest
2 4lb bags of worm casings
1 pound bone meal
1 pound blood meal
3 cups epson salts
2 cups of dolomite lime
2 bags of perlite

Water well, mix well, let sit for at least 90 days prior to using. This is an organic mix and I never have to add any ferts during growing.
Did you use this mix straight from seedling all the way through? With out adding other nutrients along the way?

NHDbooler45

NHDbooler45

My soil mix is nothing more than compost from my.chicken run, which is comprised of chicken poop.and broken down plant matter from our vegetable crop residues. Our chickens are bedded on autumn leaves for Several months and then straw or saw dust. When we clean we simply shovel the bedding into the run and it's mixes with the rest. Several times a year I pile up all the woody material that takes forever to break down (tomato stalks, grape branches, tree branches, ect) and burn it. Throughout winter all the ash from our wood stove goes into our chicken coup. I also make a batch or two of biochar weekly during winter time.
By spring time the "chicken dirt" can go straight into the garden and I typically am able to pull from the chicken coup year round if needed.
I keep various piles of wood chips in various stages of decomposition and use these for mulch, and that which is fully decomposed gets mixed with the chicken dirt.
There's much more that goes into my gardens than this, but I'll stick just to my soil for this post lol.

This is one of my girls from this year. The proof is in the pudding that a 100% self sustained organic operation can produce some amazing results.

Received 2349408778688163
00100lrPORTRAIT 00100 BURST20201001143801203 COVER
00000PORTRAIT 00000 BURST20201001143755424
Last edited:
GockBuds

GockBuds

4 weeks since germination
Humboldt seeds blueberry headband
Elev8 seeds cherry cake
Organic soil mix first timer.
Compost tea once a week
Lst

Screenshot 20201013 153122 Signal
MadeinHawaii

MadeinHawaii

Super Soil Mix

Iā€™m using Black Gold Natural & Organic Potting Mix and Black Gold Earth Worm Castings.

Besides the Epsom Salt, Bokashi, and Humic Acid, the source of the other ingredients is unknown because I bought them pre-bagged.

For the Humic Acid I added 6Tbsp of Complehumus 8-8-8.

EM Bokashi.

4287BC44 21DD 4085 8F9C A1C7C6E06199
Mixed everything together and put it into a couple 32gal trash bins that are outside in the sun.

I went down to the ocean and collected some sea water and added around 24oz of it to 6gal of hose water that sat out for a couple of days. I poured 3gal in each bin, mixed it in, and closed the lid for a month.

83F907B1 2D58 4E06 A806 2BB33AFA1FF8

greatbayorganics

greatbayorganics

Hey everyone I've seen a couple threads with different soil mixes in them and I was thinking It might not be a bad idea to compile them into this thread. I'm also interested to see what mixes everyone is working with. So here goes this is my soil mix I've been messing around with lately.

Soil Mix:
3 cubic ft Master Nursery potting soil(peat based)(1.5 bags)
25lb Napa floor dry(diatomite)(1 bag)
.5 cubic ft Ancient Forest Humus(1 bag)
1 1/6 cup mykos(mychorhizae)
3.5 cups insect frass(2-2-2)
2.25 cups Neem Seed meal(5-1-2)
6oz rock phosphate(0-3-0)
9 oz azomite(0-0-.2)(Trace Minerals)
9oz fish bone meal(3-16-0)
2 cups Dolomite lime(Calcium/Magnesium)

:hi

Hello Organic soil thread:
Here is my first time self designed organic soil.
Based off a recipe from True Living Organics, slightly modified to cut down on the number of individual amendments.
Soil Blend

15 Gallons Coast of Maine Stonington base

6 cups of lobster compost

Ā¼ cup DE

2 cups EW

2 cups of Gaia all purpose

1/2 cup Gaia bloom

Ā½ cup of kelp

8 qt of rice hulls

1 Ā½ cups of oyster shell

1 Ā¼ cups of bat guano

.60 cups of Vegan mix

.60 cups of Bio-Live

8 cups of Perlite

canagen

canagen

Base Mix:
1/3 part Promix Veg/Herb
1/3 part Humus - compost and homemade earthworm castings
1/3 part Coarse perlite

Base Amendments (quantities per gallon):

1C Dolomite Lime
1C Oyster Shell Flour
1C Gypsum
1C Alfalfa Meal
1C Kelp Meal
1C Mineralized Phosphate
1C Crabshell Meal
1C Neem Meal
1C Karanja Cake
1/2C Feather Meal

I used this version of Promix as it was gifted to me. I have done a run with Promix HP in 15G pots that I was able to run 4 plants successively. I could have gone for more but I wanted to try a new soil batch in 7Gs instead since my grow space (3x5x8') can only accomodate 2 of the 15Gs.

Anyway, still learning and growing.

canagen

canagen

Some current pics:

Afghani #1 @ week 6 from flip:

20201129 Afg II 3

20201129 Afg II 5

GDP I @ week 7 veg:

20201128 GDP I 2
20201128 GDP I 1

Punch Pie @ week 5 veg:

20201128 PP 1

20201127 PP 4

GDP II @ week 2 from sprout:

20201128 GDP II 1
20201128 GDP II 2

Can't complain about the mix's performance. The only issue I can see are the clawed leaves on the Afg. and I suspect it is due to a root problem. I used those peat pots filled with soil to root the clones and it really hindered the growth and the roots never formed properly.

This was the root of a clone rooted in the same manner and was pollinated for seeds:

20201129 070019

The taps just swirled around within the peat pot and could not break out until the peat had decomposed. That was my biggest mistake during that run. I am still trying to learn my way around this hobby. All is good. I expect better from the GDP & PP.

Cheers.

Dankyou1266

Dankyou1266

Hey everyone I've seen a couple threads with different soil mixes in them and I was thinking It might not be a bad idea to compile them into this thread. I'm also interested to see what mixes everyone is working with. So here goes this is my soil mix I've been messing around with lately.

Soil Mix:
3 cubic ft Master Nursery potting soil(peat based)(1.5 bags)
25lb Napa floor dry(diatomite)(1 bag)
.5 cubic ft Ancient Forest Humus(1 bag)
1 1/6 cup mykos(mychorhizae)
3.5 cups insect frass(2-2-2)
2.25 cups Neem Seed meal(5-1-2)
6oz rock phosphate(0-3-0)
9 oz azomite(0-0-.2)(Trace Minerals)
9oz fish bone meal(3-16-0)
2 cups Dolomite lime(Calcium/Magnesium)

:hi
I really appreciate you taking the time and sharing your recipe. I am very limited on funds and was wondering if you had a recipe that was simple and inexpensive. I do not have the means to buy all of those items.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I really appreciate you taking the time and sharing your recipe. I am very limited on funds and was wondering if you had a recipe that was simple and inexpensive. I do not have the means to buy all of those items.

Make your own compost and mix with coco. Ratio will depend on the consistency of your compost. Top-dress with more compost throughout the season, and some dry amendments if you can afford them.

canagen

canagen

For the humus portion of your soil, scout around wooded areas for rotting felled logs and just scoop out the rotting pieces underneath. If you are lucky, you may snag some worms. As well, dried leaves that have been sitting out will have decomposed enough to use for compost. There is also comfrey and stinging nettle that can be added to your soil mix and/or made into teas for soil drench.

I am like you in that I don't have funds to spare so I use what's available outdoors. You may want to look up KNF or Korean Natural Farming. It will give you ideas on what you can use for plants. There is also Gil Carandang dubbed the unconventional farmer.

canagen

canagen

As for a recipe, a good starting point is equal parts peat moss, humus (compost, earthworm castings) and aeration ( perlite or landscaping lavarock). I don't know of the percentages with coco but someone ought to know.

Then, depending on what you have to add as amendments, typically it is 1 cup per cubic foot of your soil mix.

Mother nature has lots of good stuff laying about. You just have to open your eyes to a different mindset.

HTH. Cheers.

Dankyou1266

Dankyou1266

For the humus portion of your soil, scout around wooded areas for rotting felled logs and just scoop out the rotting pieces underneath. If you are lucky, you may snag some worms. As well, dried leaves that have been sitting out will have decomposed enough to use for compost. There is also comfrey and stinging nettle that can be added to your soil mix and/or made into teas for soil drench.

I am like you in that I don't have funds to spare so I use what's available outdoors. You may want to look up KNF or Korean Natural Farming. It will give you ideas on what you can use for plants. There is also Gil Carandang dubbed the unconventional farmer.
I really appreciate you taking the time and sharing nuggets of great knowledge. After spending some time online and seeing the different prices on soil, I was just amazed!! I ended up getting Fox Farm Ocean Forest from a Hydro Store right up the street for $16.00 when Amazon wanted $34.00 Plus this might be the best part. They give away tea every Saturday, all I have to do is bring my jug!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom