Post your Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I run a close recipe to that of The Rev and would make a few changes. I would add some dolomite lime and use more kelp, greensand, blood-meal, alfalfa, and feathermeal. I would use less DE, granular humic acid, and langbeinite (that stuff is pretty strong).
That is also a lot of all purpose fertilizer added in but may not be that bad if it breaks down slow enough.
Just my $.02.

You definitely want to put it all together and let it cook.

savagemonk

savagemonk

Good point. I must admit, I bought the smaller packages to try first and for the containers as I find them more manageable and less dusty than the 10kg paper bags (which I bought for 444 and bloom).

I didn't follow the Gaia Green reqs, im roughly following the REVs living soil recipe and tried to match ingredients I exchanged at same micronutrient and npk levels. I have no knowledge of release times, so I'm kinda going on faith and trust from the internet...we know that always ends well! lol

I still am having problems wrapping my head around adding 1 to 4 tablespoons per gallon of all these minerals and nutrients. It just seems like so much. 😄

Anyway, so you think im close to on point with my TOTAL recipe amounts or should I be mixing all of the dry amendments, then blending THAT at 3 tablespoons per gallon?
So far I’ve covered pages 1-10 of this thread and it seems everyone has small variations but organic soil recipes are similar. Especially when it some to EWC, peat, coco, perlite, etc. Some use what they got for Calcium. There are several sources for that. Likewise the NPK can be sourced from an all purpose fertilizer like Gaia’s 444 or varying sources like insect frass, alfalfa, kelp.
Write down your recipe and note the soil pH before planting. See how the plant likes it and adjust for next run.
I made 5 gal mixes for autos and a photoperiod. Wrote the recipe down so I know what to increase or decrease for next run.

A207BC35 E9FB 49B1 B436 8B5076D6D6F1
C57E28E0 72C4 4C93 863F 92EEC55045BC
mancorn

mancorn

I still am having problems wrapping my head around adding 1 to 4 tablespoons per gallon of all these minerals and nutrients. It just seems like so much. 😄

Anyway, so you think im close to on point with my TOTAL recipe amounts or should I be mixing all of the dry amendments, then blending THAT at 3 tablespoons per gallon?

You’ll need a big spreed sheet, but here’s a easy explanation on mixing your dry amendments. https://oaksterdamuniversity.com/combining-n-p-k-ratios/

TheForechecker

TheForechecker

I run a close recipe to that of The Rev and would make a few changes. I would add some dolomite lime and use more kelp, greensand, blood-meal, alfalfa, and feathermeal. I would use less DE, granular humic acid, and langbeinite (that stuff is pretty strong).
That is also a lot of all purpose fertilizer added in but may not be that bad if it breaks down slow enough.
Just my $.02.

You definitely want to put it all together and let it cook.

Thanks, I appreciate your guidance. Im taking your suggestions and going for it.

You’ll need a big spreed sheet, but here’s a easy explanation on mixing your dry amendments. https://oaksterdamuniversity.com/combining-n-p-k-ratios/

Nice.
/taps excel guru wife on the shoulder.

Thinking maybe Im going to add the mycos (should be growing that stuff by the gram!) when its done cooking a bit (a week or 2 before planting), but do the cool kids generally add EWC now and let it cook, or with the mycos? or both?

Cheers!

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Definitely add the EWC now and let it cook. That where your microbes come from. I don’t bother with the mycos until I am planting and then either sprinkle some granular in the hole if transplanting or some soluble myco soil drench or both. I have read where the mycos need roots right away or they die or something but idk. You see it advertised in soil so ?

I was thinking earlier, if you ever get concerned that your soil is too hot, you can always cut it with some bagged soil afterwards.

IndicaMaster123

IndicaMaster123

hey guys new to the thread! ive been reading pages 1-20 and im just wondering if and how much the recipes have changed
cheers
-N

PiffinOut

PiffinOut

figured this is a semi generic thread so if i shouldnt have posted this here my apologies.
ive got a bag of Timberline Top Soil in my yard. I was considering putting it into my vermicompost but upon reading some of the shiet reviews on Lowes.com and the like, I am reconsidering using it as anything but spot filler or a top dress upon planting my veggies.
Figured Id get the input from the squad first.

So this topsoil has alot of bark and wood and sand in it and really isnt all soil but a mix of organic material with soil. I figure the bark and wood and sand arent a big problem in a vermicompost as the worms will probably eat through the bark and wood over time. I will be using the vermicompost for growing veggies and cough cough...."flower" come spring or summer. Hopefully by then most of this stuff will be broken down by the 2000+worms I have in the bin.
My questions are thus... i know this soil is shit as is currently. But I can see my worms working on it overtime making it more usuable. However, I cant find any test results on it for toxins and heavy metals. The Timberline TopSoil claims to be material taken from a forrest. Can anyone inform/shoot me a link for the test results of this soils test results. Do you guys think this will turn into something good enough after composting with my food scraps in my vermicompost? Should I just dig a hole in my yard and use regular dirt as vermicompost filler or is this Timberline TopSoil acceptable enough?

Most of the food scraps in the vermicompost are greens and fruits and veggies. I would imagine that the bark and wood material would be decent enough as a carbon material to aid in the composting process with those greens fruits and veggies and once it all breaks down and fades to black that it would be worthy of putting in my vegetable garden and possibly my grow tent..

Thoughts?

PiffinOut

PiffinOut

figured this is a semi generic thread so if i shouldnt have posted this here my apologies.
ive got a bag of Timberline Top Soil in my yard. I was considering putting it into my vermicompost but upon reading some of the shiet reviews on Lowes.com and the like, I am reconsidering using it as anything but spot filler or a top dress upon planting my veggies.
Figured Id get the input from the squad first.

So this topsoil has alot of bark and wood and sand in it and really isnt all soil but a mix of organic material with soil. I figure the bark and wood and sand arent a big problem in a vermicompost as the worms will probably eat through the bark and wood over time. I will be using the vermicompost for growing veggies and cough cough...."flower" come spring or summer. Hopefully by then most of this stuff will be broken down by the 2000+worms I have in the bin.
My questions are thus... i know this soil is shit as is currently. But I can see my worms working on it overtime making it more usuable. However, I cant find any test results on it for toxins and heavy metals. The Timberline TopSoil claims to be material taken from a forrest. Can anyone inform/shoot me a link for the test results of this soils test results. Do you guys think this will turn into something good enough after composting with my food scraps in my vermicompost? Should I just dig a hole in my yard and use regular dirt as vermicompost filler or is this Timberline TopSoil acceptable enough?

Most of the food scraps in the vermicompost are greens and fruits and veggies. I would imagine that the bark and wood material would be decent enough as a carbon material to aid in the composting process with those greens fruits and veggies and once it all breaks down and fades to black that it would be worthy of putting in my vegetable garden and possibly my grow tent..

Thoughts?
Update. Worms dont seem to mind it, good enough for the time being. Can see some of the loose litter starting to be eaten on the top. Will probably need to strain it when I get the batch ready for use

sunwestgenetics

sunwestgenetics

I was looking for a good recipe for my soil. Thank you for sharing this. I prefer to use organic recipes.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Organic coco coir and organic cannabis leaf and stems or organic alfalfa pellets, probably 20 coco to 1 or less cannabis/alfalfa, and may top dress with alfalfa teas later if needed. Otherwise just keep the coco at ~5.8pH and ~5.7 pH watering. Using organic vinegar to pH down my tap water.

still young but I have a journal and I will have some pics of it when it gets older. Here it is just in cannabis leaf and coco, I have a gallon pot with alfalfa and coco that I am keeping moist and adjusting the pH to ~5.7 on it so it’s ready when the plant is. I run low wattage so it will be a week or two until up pot.
0605B702 2488 4C8E 9032 CA22D1542BAD

SativaKid

SativaKid

Hey everyone I've seen a couple threads with different soil mixes in them and I was thinking It might not be a bad idea to compile them into this thread. I'm also interested to see what mixes everyone is working with. So here goes this is my soil mix I've been messing around with lately.

Soil Mix:
3 cubic ft Master Nursery potting soil(peat based)(1.5 bags)
25lb Napa floor dry(diatomite)(1 bag)
.5 cubic ft Ancient Forest Humus(1 bag)
1 1/6 cup mykos(mychorhizae)
3.5 cups insect frass(2-2-2)
2.25 cups Neem Seed meal(5-1-2)
6oz rock phosphate(0-3-0)
9 oz azomite(0-0-.2)(Trace Minerals)
9oz fish bone meal(3-16-0)
2 cups Dolomite lime(Calcium/Magnesium)

:hi
I sure hope you recycle because you have got a nice mix. I use a little less detailed list but a cheap copy of your beautiful mix. And the recharge requires less additives and the second and third grows got larger and sweeter buds. I'm a big believer in Dolomite and have learned to put almost nothing in my soil recharges and I put 1/4 a teaspoon in my 20 gallon Dechlor Barrel. I also use 30% Perlite as a way to also buffer the Ph to a more neutral state. Once again impressive recipe.

SativaKid

SativaKid

This is how I put together my current mix that I am using for an indoor soil bed experiment.
Following items added to my current inventory of around 60 or so gallons of soil mix.
Fish Meal 3 cups
Fish Bone Meal 3 cups
Alfalfa Meal 4 cups
Soybean Meal 2 cups
Soft Rock Phosphate 3 cups
Neem Seed Meal 2 cups
Crab Shell Meal 2 cups
Kelp Meal 2 cups
Oyster Shell Powder 2 cups
Oyster Shell 2 cups
Gypsum 2 cups
Dolomite lime 2 cups
Azomite 3 cups
K Mag 2 cups
Glacial Rock Dust 10 cups
Epsom Salt 1 cup

Added in around 4-5 cuft of coco, peat, ewc, homemade compost and pumice.
Wetted down with homemade yarrow extract and some AEM solution.

Should have around 120-130 gallons of mix.
Check out my journal to see how things are going.
Wow! Nice

Stoobeey

Stoobeey

Current results of my living soil that's on its 3rd recycling (it does get a full charge of dry amendments and cooked when I recycle it).
My recipe is somewhere in here from a year ish ago, but since my switch I've never had better plants or tastier stinky buds.

These are all in 7 gals. The giant Maui is about 15 says since flip. The 2 sour martian haze phenos a week later.

I'm also playing with colloidal silver which definitely works so I'll be collecting pollen and making my own fem seeds too.
I Also recently moved over to blumats which were a god send on my back plus an inkbird humidity controller. Cheers
20220406 230816

E9noxis

E9noxis

1.5 cubic feet coco coir
8 quarts peat moss
15 lbs organic worm castings
1.5 lbs rice hulls
7 quarts 3/8 pumice lava stones
1 gallon biochar with mycorrhizial fungus
1 gallon super soil organic concentrate
1.5 cups azomite trace minerals
3/4 cup happy frog all purpose fert
2 cups bat quano

Measurements will change this time around.
I'm adding kelp meal too.

I also have build a soil take n bake mix I'm going to use for the greenhouse.

Screenshot 20220210 141530 DuckDuckGo

Homesteader

Homesteader

This makes the best soil mix you will find for cannabis. No bells.....no whistles.

Bail of peat 3.8 cubic feet
5kg block of coco
Rice hull (half of large bag)
Bone char
Soybean meal
Gypsum

I add fish hydrolysate to the mix afterwards and also in veg to give the plants an extra boost.

I have used this mix or a slight variation to it for two years now and it is tops.

IMG 20220415 170739
L

loveinyourheart

for my next grow, im thinking going with:
25% perlite
25% coco coir
25% compost
10% worm castings
15% soil

anything I should change in this mix?

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
I literally grab topsoil from under the leaves in my forest and then add
Dr Earth veg
Espoma Plantone
Handful of Perlite
Handful of Peat
...that's it :)
I re-use the soil after amendment with same, just smaller amounts...depends how far i took the plant that was in that soil. I also leave a bunch of clippings, all the roots in it for additional organic matter.
Last year i got 5 recycles.

Top Bottom