SativaKid

SativaKid

I literally grab topsoil from under the leaves in my forest and then add
Dr Earth veg
Espoma Plantone
Handful of Perlite
Handful of Peat
...that's it :)
I re-use the soil after amendment with same, just smaller amounts...depends how far i took the plant that was in that soil. I also leave a bunch of clippings, all the roots in it for additional organic matter.
Last year i got 5 recycles.
Nice! All that life must make some sweet buds, love the forest floor thing under the leaves, it's like Gold!

O

OntarioGoldenHash

For my first grow I've used Gaia Organic living soil 1-0-0 with 1 TBS per Gallon 2-8-4 Power bloom at the start of flowering.

My question is, what could I add for my 2nd grow to the living soil, new bag to improve my crop? I am thinking worm castings and perlite for starters.

My second question is, what should I add to my old soil for me to make another grow batch? Huge thanks.

Kodesh

Kodesh

My recipe has gotten progressively simpler over the years, down to 25lb DTE Bio-Live and a bucket of castings per 100gal soil.

I compost my used soil after each run under some woodchips. If you're making a base soil from scratch I'd recommend skipping all the pre-mixed bagged stuff. Just get 5kg bricks of coco and bales of peat moss, add perlite or growstone or whatever for aeration. That's the base mix for 90% of the bagged stuff with a handful of dry nutes thrown in so they can charge you double.

Nesta028

Nesta028

60% Pro-Mix HP
20% Perlite
20% EWC
70/30 of All Purpose 4-4-4 & Power Bloom 2-8-4

Top dress every 3-4 weeks with either 4-4-4 or 2-8-4 from there.

B

bakelite

This is what i'm running right now:

50/50 Ocean Forest and Promix HPCC (The HPCC has myco's and coir which I love)

Per gallon (3.785 liters) of soil I use:

1 tsp (5 ml) Epsom Salt
1 tsp (5 ml) Dolomitic lime
1 tsp (5 ml) crushed oyster shell
2 tbsp Geoflora (30 ml) bloom (3-5-5 OMRI organic fertilizer)

This is my first run with Geoflora so time will tell. I had been using Happy Frog general purpose or Espoma Plant tone with some fish bone meal to bump up the phosphorus. The Geoflora was expensive, but looks like good stuff. It has 19 ingredients and is granulated. This helps in a couple of different ways. It minimizes dust, and the mixture is homogeneous unlike a lot of the dry ferts out there where the smaller particles settle to the bottom of the container. This could be considered a water only recipe, but i'm sure it'd benefit from some additional ferts later in the grow (top dress, liquid ferts etc.).

C

calyxlover

PLEASE!! What are peoples thoughts on this soil mix and general plant regimen? Also, how many cuft should I calculate to fill my 4x4 from grassroots. For a no-till living soil system? Im thinking 19cuft...

Thank you for your time.

4x4 Raised Bed Organic No Till

5 Gal Compost Tea:
1. Few Handfuls of compost in a mesh strainer bag
2. 4-5 cups of vermicompost? 5-10% of total tea maybe less if using other nutrients
3. fish and kelp blend few tablespoons per 5gal
4. One tablespoon of Insect Frass per 5gal
5. One Tablespoon of DTE Acid Mix
5. 1-2 tablespoons of Molasses per 5gal
6. Silica (use as directed but only in Veg)

Microbes:
Sprinkle Recharge and White Shark into the soil mixture
AND
Sprinkle a pinch onto the soil surfae before each watering and feeding

Start Mammoth P. the last week of Veg and all of Flower

Soil Makeup:
20% Peat Moss
20% Coco Coir
25% compost
20% black lava rock
15% Rice Hulls

Minerals:

Azomite- 1/3pound per cuft
Greensand - 1/3pound per cuft
Rock Phosphate - 1 to 1.25 pounds per cuft
Lanbeinite - 1/2 pound per cuft
Kelp Meal - .21pounds per cuft OR ACTUALLY 1/2 cup per cuft
Fish Bone Meal - 1/4 cup per cuft
Fish Meal - 1/4 cup per cuft
Neem Seed Meal - 1/2 cup per cuft
Feather Meal - 1/4 cup per cuft
Blood Meal - 1/4 cup per cuft
Crab Meal - 1/2 cup per cuft
Alfalfa Meal - 1 cup per cuft
Oyster Shell - 1 cup per cuft

Once mixed fill 4x4 and cover with cover crop then Alfalfa straw. Cook for 1 month, water with 3 to 5 gal every three days

Fertilizer Regimine:

Every Third Watering Seed Sprout Tea - 2oz of organic corn kernels soaked for 12 hrs in water, drain and store in a jar for up to 2 weeks. Blend in a couple cups of water. Finally dilute with 2gal of water, and add 1 tablespoon of kelp meal

Every Third Watering Compost Tea

Every Third Watering Coconut Water

Dry Top Dressings:
DTE Rose and Flower mix 1/2 cup per 10gal of soil at firt sign of flower, and AGAIN 4weeks later
DTE BioLive 1/2-3/4cup per 10gal of soil to surface after transplanting new clones in to soil. 1/2cup if seedling directly after harvest, 1cup if its been a while
After harvest, top dress with compost and azomite, then cover crop

RESART THE CYCLE WITH CLOMES OR SEEDLINGS!!

GasFactory

GasFactory

Biochar,
Peat Moss,
Fish Compost,
Earthworm Castings,
Rice Hulls,
Pumice,
Glacial Rock Dust,
Basalt,
Soft Rock Phosphate,
Oyster Shell Powder,
Organic Alfalfa Meal,
Organic Fish Bone Meal,
Organic Crustacean Meal,
Kelp Meal,
Neem Cake,
Karanja Cake,
Organic Fish Meal,
Organic Feather Meal,
Organic Steamed Bone Meal,
Lime,
Mycorrhiza

R

ritoMox

PLEASE!! What are peoples thoughts on this soil mix and general plant regimen? Also, how many cuft should I calculate to fill my 4x4 from grassroots. For a no-till living soil system? Im thinking 19cuft...

Thank you for your time.

4x4 Raised Bed Organic No Till

5 Gal Compost Tea:
1. Few Handfuls of compost in a mesh strainer bag
2. 4-5 cups of vermicompost? 5-10% of total tea maybe less if using other nutrients
3. fish and kelp blend few tablespoons per 5gal
4. One tablespoon of Insect Frass per 5gal
5. One Tablespoon of DTE Acid Mix
5. 1-2 tablespoons of Molasses per 5gal
6. Silica (use as directed but only in Veg)

Microbes:
Sprinkle Recharge and White Shark into the soil mixture
AND
Sprinkle a pinch onto the soil surfae before each watering and feeding

Start Mammoth P. the last week of Veg and all of Flower

Soil Makeup:
20% Peat Moss
20% Coco Coir
25% compost
20% black lava rock
15% Rice Hulls

Minerals:

Azomite- 1/3pound per cuft
Greensand - 1/3pound per cuft
Rock Phosphate - 1 to 1.25 pounds per cuft
Lanbeinite - 1/2 pound per cuft
Kelp Meal - .21pounds per cuft OR ACTUALLY 1/2 cup per cuft
Fish Bone Meal - 1/4 cup per cuft
Fish Meal - 1/4 cup per cuft
Neem Seed Meal - 1/2 cup per cuft
Feather Meal - 1/4 cup per cuft
Blood Meal - 1/4 cup per cuft
Crab Meal - 1/2 cup per cuft
Alfalfa Meal - 1 cup per cuft
Oyster Shell - 1 cup per cuft

Once mixed fill 4x4 and cover with cover crop then Alfalfa straw. Cook for 1 month, water with 3 to 5 gal every three days

Fertilizer Regimine:

Every Third Watering Seed Sprout Tea - 2oz of organic corn kernels soaked for 12 hrs in water, drain and store in a jar for up to 2 weeks. Blend in a couple cups of water. Finally dilute with 2gal of water, and add 1 tablespoon of kelp meal

Every Third Watering Compost Tea

Every Third Watering Coconut Water

Dry Top Dressings:
DTE Rose and Flower mix 1/2 cup per 10gal of soil at firt sign of flower, and AGAIN 4weeks later
DTE BioLive 1/2-3/4cup per 10gal of soil to surface after transplanting new clones in to soil. 1/2cup if seedling directly after harvest, 1cup if its been a while
After harvest, top dress with compost and azomite, then cover crop

RESART THE CYCLE WITH CLOMES OR SEEDLINGS!!
WTH? "Let's slow it down. Let's slow it waaaaaay down"🤣

Last edited:
R

ritoMox

I literally grab topsoil from under the leaves in my forest and then add
Dr Earth veg
Espoma Plantone
Handful of Perlite
Handful of Peat
...that's it :)
I re-use the soil after amendment with same, just smaller amounts...depends how far i took the plant that was in that soil. I also leave a bunch of clippings, all the roots in it for additional organic matter.
Last year i got 5 recycles.
Nice! Can you share ratio's or thereabouts?✌️

mrcrispy13

mrcrispy13

I just made two batches today to cook till mid-late January. Each batch fills a big gray trashcan on wheels with a lid so I can chase the sun during the winter months and keep it warm.
It's based on trial and error using TLO/Rev and/or Ed Rosenthal's online Mix recipe and is similar to Seedsman's Soil Recipe #2. The Mikro-root Tricho is a new change this time around for me.
Invest in a good old-school soil PH tester you can shove into the soil and use it often. A mix this hot can take a while to stabilize which is why the cook matters. I use Fox Farm Ocean bulked up with Perlite to start seeds. The first transplant from Solo cups is mixed 50/50 with this 'hot mix' and once it's ready for 2nd transplant it goes into pure hot soil mix. Listen to your plants they will tell you what they prefer.

(Base)
3.5gal each: Coco Coir, Earthworm castings, Vermiculite (Coarse #3!), Perlite (Medium sized)

(Amendments)
2/3 cup each: Solution Grade Langeinite/Greensand, Super grade soluble Phosphate, Micronized Azomite Dust, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Bat Guano, Seabird Guano, Activated Charcoal chunks, Dolomite lime.

(Bio gets added after a few weeks of cooking when the PH tests ok)
1/8 cup each: Mycobliss Innoculant (Mycorrhizal), Mikro-root Innoculant (Thrichoderma)

Since I dont have a setup to keep the soil turning, once every two weeks during cooking, I check the soil temp, then dump it onto a tarp, turn it by hand and put it back in the can. When it's on the tarp I check it for pockets that didnt mix well, check the moisture levels and do a PH test. I usually start soil in Dec/Jan, seeds in Feb/Mar. This year will be purely indoors so I started a bit early.

The same amendments get added to my garden compost pile but of course no base since the base is already there, recycled from the prior year's gardening.

maynardg

maynardg

and if outside, no worms will visit you, if you have perlite. they dont like it. it hurts em.
Hi folks, new lurker here. Tried one indoor crop last summer and I got burned out trying to manage nutes and PPM levels, so I'll be using organic living soil for all my future grows.

I wondered about the statement above, and looked up in Rev's TLO book -
he loves perlite, and also loves earthworms, so it looks like that they are compatible.

Any other opinions?

GasFactory

GasFactory

Hi folks, new lurker here. Tried one indoor crop last summer and I got burned out trying to manage nutes and PPM levels, so I'll be using organic living soil for all my future grows.

I wondered about the statement above, and looked up in Rev's TLO book -
he loves perlite, and also loves earthworms, so it looks like that they are compatible.

Any other opinions?

I just did a few 15 gallon pots with perlite, couldn't find my normal rice hulls/pumice locally and my worms don't seem to mind at all..

legitness

legitness

What’s the thaight I don’t think I need lime like everyone does as it’s mineral dense and not peat

https://www.dalefootcomposts.co.uk/products/wool-compost-for-tomatoes.p.aspx at 40% this compost

worm shit 20%and cow compost 10%!making 30% total

Air lava rock 30%

Azomite 1/2 cup
Kelp 1/2cup
Neem 1/2cup
Malted barley 1/2 cup
Myc fungal innoculation
Bacterial innoculation
Biochar
Hemp mulch

Hydrate with fulvic fish hydrolysate and em1

Covercrop clover beans/peas daikon radish and carrot borrage chia seed and marigolds and alfalfa

Any input ?

Homesteader

Homesteader

What’s the thaight I don’t think I need lime like everyone does as it’s mineral dense and not peat

https://www.dalefootcomposts.co.uk/products/wool-compost-for-tomatoes.p.aspx at 40% this compost

worm shit 20%and cow compost 10%!making 30% total

Air lava rock 30%

Azomite 1/2 cup
Kelp 1/2cup
Neem 1/2cup
Malted barley 1/2 cup
Myc fungal innoculation
Bacterial innoculation
Biochar
Hemp mulch

Hydrate with fulvic fish hydrolysate and em1

Covercrop clover beans/peas daikon radish and carrot borrage chia seed and marigolds and alfalfa

Any input ?
I think this should work although it may take some tweaking to get your pH in range. I also think you will have a hard time growing beans/peas in Nitrogen rich soil but it can work. Are you unable to buy peat or do you not want to use it? You also may run into problems with calcium unless you get some gypsum or another source. Not seeing enough in your mix.

Last edited:
Trixie

Trixie

To boost the CEC in soil-less mixes up to 400%, I use Roots Organic or FoxFarms potting mix as a center core. The center organic mix only gets pure rainwater and no fertilizers until I transplant it into a large soil-less pot for flowering. Boosting the Cation Exchange Capacity 400% in soil-less mixes is comparable with DWC results. Yields are massive.

sambapati

sambapati

Here goes my soil mix

I have all the same things except my potting soil base in from the EU. Plus biochar, burnt rice husks, crustaceon shells, aloe, gypsum, volcanic rock dust and organic compost. I am using and liking Organics terp tea

H

hawkman

Biochar,
Peat Moss,
Fish Compost,
Earthworm Castings,
Rice Hulls,
Pumice,
Glacial Rock Dust,
Basalt,
Soft Rock Phosphate,
Oyster Shell Powder,
Organic Alfalfa Meal,
Organic Fish Bone Meal,
Organic Crustacean Meal,
Kelp Meal,
Neem Cake,
Karanja Cake,
Organic Fish Meal,
Organic Feather Meal,
Organic Steamed Bone Meal,
Lime,
Mycorrhiza
need a pocket full of money for that mix !! sure does sound good - no nutrients need with this mix

Latest posts

Top Bottom