• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jandeorganics

Jandeorganics

POT OF GOLD # 5 DAY #16
POG5DAY16

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I went to another dispensary this evening and I was telling the owner about the Fire OG and he told me that indeed it's not Fire OG. He knew that they were selling it as top shelf fire OG when it's really a mid shelf OG. I sometimes wish that the ban had been passed and it would have shut down a lot of these clubs that are in business for the wrong reasons.

I would highly suggest doing some searches on here for OG. You will quickly be able to discern what is a real cut of OG and what is not. True OG cuts have very distinct leaf shape and growth structures, similar to one another but otherwise rather unique in the Cannabis gene pool.

sox

sox

I would highly suggest doing some searches on here for OG. You will quickly be able to discern what is a real cut of OG and what is not. True OG cuts have very distinct leaf shape and growth structures, similar to one another but otherwise rather unique in the Cannabis gene pool.
im confused on the 3 leaf your talkin about

Jandeorganics

Jandeorganics

Started doing more research and I'm more confused. Is the KUSH category Sativa or Indica or a combination of both?
Are all OG strands Indica?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

im confused on the 3 leaf your talkin about

Started doing more research and I'm more confused. Is the KUSH category Sativa or Indica or a combination of both?
Are all OG strands Indica?

Ok guys, all true OG leaves have distinct 3 bladed leaves for the first several sets, and they reappear as flowering progresses. They are rather distinct in shape, the individual leaflets are rather fat but still do not seem to overlap one another.

Ok, so this isn't the best picture to illustrate what I am talking about, but it is a start; I will try and find a better pic later. You can see that low down on the plant are very distinct three bladed leaves, with fat leaflets, sharp serrations and the leaflets all point in roughly the same direction rather than out in a fan shape. This leaf pattern continues up the plant, and what is not pictured here is that most OG leaves will not grow more than 5 leaflets. If this distinct leaf shape is not present then there is a good likelihood the plant is not a true OG (however I do not know if this holds true for seed based OG, but it is true for the clone only versions).

As for the genetic make-up, now we are getting into some serious history of the plant. All true Kush varieties are actually somewhere between indica and sativa, with a bit more influence from the indica side. A true Kush actually come from the Hindu Kush Mountain range in central Asia, between India and Afghanistan. This geographical location was basically the boundary between indica genetics in the hills of Afghanistan and sativa genetics found in the tropics of India. The blended genetics proved to produce the highest quality Cannabis able to grow naturally in the region. However, since the Kush varieties were still being grown in the hills and mountains the indica dominant plants would perform the best.

Currently however we consider Kush varieties to be indica strains, and many of the Kush varieties that are available reflect this. So for our purposes we will consider Kush to be indica (such as Blackberry Kush, or Master Kush). The Kush craze that struck the market within the past 5-10 years has caused a lot of confusion as people started to tack the word Kush onto anything of high quality so they could ask a higher price than the Cannabis was actually worth. So there are lots of varieties out there with the Kush moniker on them but have 0 Kush genetics held within. OG kind or falls into this last category, although it was named well before the Kush craze struck.

OG actually comes out of Chem/Dawg genetics, which are still a mystery. However we do know Chem appears to genetically be sativa dominant. What was used to make OG is also a mystery for now. Given the actual genetic make-up of OG is also unknown we cannot determine exactly whether it is sativa or indica dominant. It is assumed that OG has descended from Sour Diesel genes, and that would likely make OG a sativa dominant strain genetically. There are distinct phenotypes and varieties that express different traits, some more sativa dominant some more indica dominant. So in my opinion OG is actually a true 50/50 split. But there is no definite answer.

Hopefully this provides some answers for your questions. If more questions arise however that is understandable.

Jandeorganics

Jandeorganics

Ok guys, all true OG leaves have distinct 3 bladed leaves for the first several sets, and they reappear as flowering progresses. They are rather distinct in shape, the individual leaflets are rather fat but still do not seem to overlap one another.

View attachment 253248

Ok, so this isn't the best picture to illustrate what I am talking about, but it is a start; I will try and find a better pic later. You can see that low down on the plant are very distinct three bladed leaves, with fat leaflets, sharp serrations and the leaflets all point in roughly the same direction rather than out in a fan shape. This leaf pattern continues up the plant, and what is not pictured here is that most OG leaves will not grow more than 5 leaflets. If this distinct leaf shape is not present then there is a good likelihood the plant is not a true OG (however I do not know if this holds true for seed based OG, but it is true for the clone only versions).

As for the genetic make-up, now we are getting into some serious history of the plant. All true Kush varieties are actually somewhere between indica and sativa, with a bit more influence from the indica side. A true Kush actually come from the Hindu Kush Mountain range in central Asia, between India and Afghanistan. This geographical location was basically the boundary between indica genetics in the hills of Afghanistan and sativa genetics found in the tropics of India. The blended genetics proved to produce the highest quality Cannabis able to grow naturally in the region. However, since the Kush varieties were still being grown in the hills and mountains the indica dominant plants would perform the best.

Currently however we consider Kush varieties to be indica strains, and many of the Kush varieties that are available reflect this. So for our purposes we will consider Kush to be indica (such as Blackberry Kush, or Master Kush). The Kush craze that struck the market within the past 5-10 years has caused a lot of confusion as people started to tack the word Kush onto anything of high quality so they could ask a higher price than the Cannabis was actually worth. So there are lots of varieties out there with the Kush moniker on them but have 0 Kush genetics held within. OG kind or falls into this last category, although it was named well before the Kush craze struck.

OG actually comes out of Chem/Dawg genetics, which are still a mystery. However we do know Chem appears to genetically be sativa dominant. What was used to make OG is also a mystery for now. Given the actual genetic make-up of OG is also unknown we cannot determine exactly whether it is sativa or indica dominant. It is assumed that OG has descended from Sour Diesel genes, and that would likely make OG a sativa dominant strain genetically. There are distinct phenotypes and varieties that express different traits, some more sativa dominant some more indica dominant. So in my opinion OG is actually a true 50/50 split. But there is no definite answer.

Hopefully this provides some answers for your questions. If more questions arise however that is understandable.

It was very helpful and I now know the characteristics of the OG plant. I see what your talking about With the leaves. Now where does skunk fall into place?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

It was very helpful and I now know the characteristics of the OG plant. I see what your talking about With the leaves. Now where does skunk fall into place?

The original skunk was roughly 75% sativa 25% indica. There have been many skunk crosses made and each with a different set of parents so there is not likely any specific ratio for skunk, the ratios will be individualized for each variety.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/attachments/dscn0001-22-jpg.202188/

Sox, whether you believe me or not, it doesn't make what I wrote any less true. Above is the grow of another farmer who grew the Larry and Tahoe OG. The shape of leaves on both plants are very close, highly resemble the leaves on my little OG plant, and represent the classic shape of OG leaves. One of the most notable traits of the leaves is that all the leaflets point in a single direction rather than fanning out, and the three bladded leaves start to show back up once flowering is induced. I am not saying that other plants don't have similar leaves early in their life cycle, its just that no other plant retains them throughout their life cycle.

You don't have to take my word for it, but do some research, ask around, you will see and get the same information I have provided.

sox

sox

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/attachments/dscn0001-22-jpg.202188/

Sox, whether you believe me or not, it doesn't make what I wrote any less true. Above is the grow of another farmer who grew the Larry and Tahoe OG. The shape of leaves on both plants are very close, highly resemble the leaves on my little OG plant, and represent the classic shape of OG leaves. One of the most notable traits of the leaves is that all the leaflets point in a single direction rather than fanning out, and the three bladded leaves start to show back up once flowering is induced. I am not saying that other plants don't have similar leaves early in their life cycle, its just that no other plant retains them throughout their life cycle.

You don't have to take my word for it, but do some research, ask around, you will see and get the same information I have provided.

Would you consider GODs Ancient Aliens to be an OG?

IMG 1441
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Would you consider GODs Ancient Aliens to be an OG?

Honestly I do not know enough about the variety. I know Alien uses OG genetics to make a lot of his crosses, so it probably has OG genes, but I am not sure if I would consider it an OG variety. While there are lots of cuts of OG out there there are only a few I consider "true" OG's. I am not implying that OG crosses are inferior to OG clone only varieties, just that they are crosses not "pure" OG.

i believe every word you said except for the leaf thing. and the leaf thing on clone only ogs.

That is quite ok with me. I am not the type of person who just goes on someone else's word alone, I need the empirical evidence. So please go do some research and find out for yourself, but I think you will find exactly what I am talking about.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

This pic is from Garden Of Dreams (GOD), not Alien Genetics

Yeah, you did say that. If I am recalling correctly Alien Kush is an OG cross. Ancient Alien is Pre 98 Bubba x Alien Kush. This would mean OG genes are in there. As best I can tell from the pic you posted that looks like an OG leaf structure, the leaf blades all face outward rather than fanning out.

Reactions: sox
Top Bottom