pre-harvest curing

• Thread starter shadyslater
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shadyslater

shadyslater

has anybody got any input on this subject????
its basically from what i can gather starving a plant of oxygen 3-10 days befor harvest to start the fermenting process (curing)
hippies used to do this so iv read

??????????????????????????

germinator

germinator

I think I read somewhere, they smother it in earth somehow, drowned in water.
Im getting old so dont remember the details. Later ill

Google fermenting cannabis see what pops.lolo..

Omg..fed it to starving goats then smoked the poops...update

Blaze

Blaze

Fermenting is not curing. If you ferment your buds you are gonna have some nasty end product. There is a reason why almost no one dose those stupid, useless old hippy curing methods anymore, they don't work well. General rule of thumb, if it was a technique that was used in the 60's and 70's to grow bud, it is probably not something you want to be doing, since the growers of that era were largely clueless and ignorant about proper growing and harvesting technique.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I over watered our volunteer plant on the side of the house,(forgot the hose was running)
It has bad drainage in rock hard soil.

A couple of the branches dried right on the plant:confused:

CollieMan760

CollieMan760

It's a process done by drowning the roots in water as to suffocate them. dont mistake it with water curing. water curing is gross! The purpose of root drowning is to get a headstart on curing. to the guy that shit on your thread, what do you think your buds are doing when they are curing in a jar? however, if that nasty ammonia smell arises from your jar, then the buds need a little time to air out. I am going to be doing this pretty soon so i will let you know shadyslater
has anybody got any input on this subject????
its basically from what i can gather starving a plant of oxygen 3-10 days befor harvest to start the fermenting process (curing)
hippies used to do this so iv read

??????????????????????????

Blaze

Blaze

Drowning the roots (or pouring boiling water on them or any of that other stupid crap) is worthless, and a waste of time.

Also FYI hippies usually grow really bad weed, especially the older crowd....

CollieMan760

CollieMan760

is it worthless and a waste of time because you've done it before and it ruined your crop? or you just dont like the idea of it? i could sit on this forum all night and offer opinions but what good does that do?

Drowning the roots (or pouring boiling water on them or any of that other stupid crap) is worthless, and a waste of time.

Also FYI hippies usually grow really bad weed, especially the older crowd....

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

I think I read somewhere, they smother it in earth somehow, drowned in water.
Im getting old so dont remember the details. Later ill

Google fermenting cannabis see what pops.lolo..

Omg..fed it to starving goats then smoked the poops...update

sounds to me like they were flushing the grow medium :D

and if your feeding weed to animals then smoking the animal shit, you have watched cheech n chong one too many times bro

germinator

germinator

sounds to me like they were flushing the grow medium :D

and if your feeding weed to animals then smoking the animal shit, you have watched cheech n chong one too many times bro

While i love me some cheech n chong ......The story goes in back country Malawi Africa that's is how they cured their herb, errrr running thru their goats. Pick up the dropping and smokem. Fermenting cannabis

Marksurfs

Marksurfs

Don't know who Blaze is , but you must be very young .I'm 59 next month , older growers don't do stupid shit unless they're trying something new out to up the game in plant size, yeild , potency to produce killer bud . I'm from the Emerald Triangle where most of the good bud comes from in the USA .
I'm good enough at growing to go into the business which is my goal , If I did stupid shit I wouldn't get very far .
In the 60's and 70's is when I started to get high , we had Thai , Pannama Red , Acapulco Gold ,
Sensimilla AKA Seedless Bud , some Mexican bud for $ 10 dollars an once that would make your head spin , strong enough that it was as though you drank way to much . DON'T shut your eyes or the whole place spins in cricles until you get sick , just like drinking to much . We also had buds that cost $50.00 an once back then and that was some good shit . If you had been there you'd know these things .
So you're talking from what kind of experience about older growers ?
Still haven't seen any bud that could match that Mexican shit , wish I had saved the seeds but I was only 12 then .
I've grow alot of bud . This is my grow journal link . Tell me us older " Hippie's " era can't type can't grow the BEST buds . I also am very picky about taste . If you don't cure your buds right , you'll have shit for weed , I don't care if was good before it was dried . If not done right you have hay or grass - lawn type taste .

I was talking and growing withthe breeders of today on OverGrowAmerica .com . All us old hippies were teaching you younger people how to grow. I was asked by the website administration to be a mentor . I asked them if their was anything they wanted me to do . The answer was to continue doing what you do. I posted journals of growing back in the year 2000 or so . So us old folk have many moons of growing .

As far as ferment, I have bud curing from 3 years ago still . That is some of the best smelling , tasting , excellent high bud I have . It started out as fruity aroma , cured - fermented as it sits in Gallon Mason Jars in boxes " Don't know how to cure ? , Right " . Those jars have been kept like I would wine in a nice cool place. It smells like fine wine from the fermentation. Burp them now and then . If you don't understand what that is, it's opening the jars to let fresh air in , then closing the lid
So looks like you have some leaerning to do if you're going to talk shit about older growers . I'm sure I'm old enough to be your dad , Blaze " .
Out grow me :)
Fermentation is a good thing, IF you know what your doing, or you may end up with mold if your bud going into the jars are to wet and aren't burped each day until the gases stop popping when you open the lid . The bud will start to smell like buds supposed to smelllike apposed to the green smell and taste , if not cure right .
You don't use goats to feremnt your buds , that's sick , at least not in the USA I ever heard of . non of us OLDER growers do stupid shit like that or even think about it .
I have better things to do with my bud than run them through a goats ass .
You use Mason Jars, the right moisture content and time for cure - fermentaion .
You want killer tasting buds , cure them right .
The jars that are 3 years old cure - fermentation , still let off gases and pop now and then when opened . The curing is continuing even after years . The bud gets better tasting as it cures - ferments . If they have around 10% humdity left in the bud it'll cure nicely -ferement nicely . Marksurfs 7/15/2016

Last edited:
BudBogart

BudBogart

Don't know who Blaze is , but you must be very young .I'm 59 next month , older growers don't do stupid shit unless they're trying something new out to up the game in plant size, yeild , potency to produce killer bud . I'm from the Emerald Triangle where most of the good bud comes from in the USA .
I'm good enough at growing to go into the business which is my goal , If I did stupid shit I wouldn't get very far .
In the 60's and 70's is when I started to get high , we had Thai , Pannama Red , Acapulco Gold ,
Sensimilla AKA Seedless Bud , some Mexican bud for $ 10 dollars an once that would make your head spin , strong enough that it was as though you drank way to much . DON'T shut your eyes or the whole place spins in cricles until you get sick , just like drinking to much . We also had buds that cost $50.00 an once back then and that was some good shit . If you had been there you'd know these things .
Still haven't seen any bud that could match that Mexican shit , wish I had saved the seeds but I was only 12 then .
I've grow alot of bud . This is my grow journal link . Tell me us older " Hippie's " era can't type can't grow the BEST buds . I also am very picky about taste . If you don't cure your buds right , you'll have shit for weed , I don't care if was good before it was dried . If not done right you have hay or grass - lawn type taste .

I was talking and growing withthe breeders of today on OverGrowAmerica .com . All us old hippies were teaching you younger people how to grow. I was asked by the website administration to be a mentor . I asked them if their was anything they wanted me to do . The answer was to continue doing what you do. I posted journals of growing back in the year 2000 or so . So us old folk have many moons of growing .

As far as ferment, I have bud curing from 3 years ago still . That is some of the best smelling , tasting , excellent high bud I have . It started out as fruity aroma , cured - fermented as it sits in Gallon Mason Jars in boxes " Don't know how to cure ? , Right " . Those jars have been kept like I would wine in a nice cool place. It smells like fine wine from the fermentation. Burp them now and then . If you don't understand what that is, it's opening the jars to let fresh air in , then closing the lid
So looks like you have some leaerning to do if you're going to talk shit about older growers . I'm sure I'm old enough to be your dad , Blaze " .
Fermentation is a good thing, IF you know what your doing, or you may end up with mold if your bud going into the jars are to wet and aren't burped each day until the gases stop popping when you open the lid . The bud will start to smell like buds supposed to smelllike apposed to the green smell and taste , if not cure right .
You don't use goats to feremnt your buds , that's sick , at least not in the USA I ever heard of . non of us OLDER growers do stupid shit like that or even think about it .
You use Mason Jars, the right moisture content and time for cure - fermentaion .
The jars that are 3 years old cure - fermentation , still let off gases and pop now and then when opened . The curing is continuing even after years . The bud gets better tasting as it cures - ferments . If they have around 10% humdity left in the bud it'll cure nicely -ferement nicely . Marksurfs 7/15/2016
Welcome to the farm. This thread is pretty old, but I remember smoking everyone of those types of weed, don't forget Columbia gold. I was a teenager in San Francisco in the 1960s, was there.
I agree there was some outrageously stony weed back then.
But that great weed was from somewhere else. We would take the seeds and grow some good weed, yes.
I have pictures of my sativas and pure indicas on Polaroid instamatics. But hell, we did try some crazy techniques.
We weren't gardeners, we were hippies. There was no internet and asking the establishment for help with your weed grow?? I don't think so. So we tried absolutely everything to enhance our grow that the rumor mill floated around.
No one is saying that old hippies can't grow awesome weed, he was commenting on the many growing techniques that many of us tried during the early years of stealthy, secretive learning how to grow, basically before Internet for most of us.
I hope you have a good experience here. I am sure you have some good stories to share along with some growing tips.

Last edited:
Blaze

Blaze

If it's so great the get some lab results on your THC and terpene levels and see what they test at. Or better yet enter some of your 3 year old bud into a contest and see how far you get. I have a feeling your claims would not stand up to any sort of real world test.

Perhaps you misunderstood my point - older, experience growers can grow great weed, I've learned form several of them. However, older growers that still employ the same hippy techniques used back int he 60's and 70's and refuse to ever learn anything new, grow crap. And yes, I have grown some of those 'old times strains'. I know people that sitll foolishly grow them. They are fucking terrible on every level and there is a reason almost no one grows them anymore. Show me some of that 'great Mexican shit' that test at 30% THC or over 4% terpenes if I am wrong.

The fact that you think 3 year old weed is good for anything other than compost, or fermenting weed somehow makes it better, confirms my point. Out dated, ignorant techniques based on superstition produce low quality bud, that's all there is to it.

Marksurfs

Marksurfs

Thanks BudBogart , the one I couldn't remember was Columbian Gold , I could see myself sitting on the beach smoking it :) , That was the $50.00 an ounce my buddy's older brother would get us . And yeah , we tried some carzy stuff but as you said , couldn't just go ask the establshment for sure :) . Took a long time to get good at it . Sure messed up alot of grows . When Overgrow.com came around I could finally talk to other breeders and growers and ask them questions to see what they were doing . Even then it was some crazy shit . I found some great growers and breeder there as well .
Looks like I I owe Blaze an apology then , because if you were talking about all the carzy shit that was shared , you were right on the money :) Here's a good one, barry your weed in the ground after you get it a bit wet so it'll mold the weed and make it better . I had a friend, maybe when we were 13 years old who did that . I hope I didn't smoke the shit :)
Blaze , I don't know any " Hippies" that still grow as the 60's or 70's , maybe some of your friends, but I know of none who waste their time growing bud different other than we grow orgainic weed . Where do you think the good strains came from to start with ? The younger people ? To funny :) My buddies created the strains , Sour Deisel ect. we used to get the seeds for free from the breeders or trade our own strains for each others strains. I created alot of strains, RomP19 is one, Goggle Romp19 you'll find one of my strains that went around the world to other breeders and growers alike . They used the strains WE created , to create the strains that are being grown now from the breeders from around the world on , Overgrow.com .
Bottom line, I have nothing I have to prove to any one, you can find me by Googling Marksurfs , or my strains . Not braggging, you just can .
Let me know when I can Google Blaze to see your work . Or maybe put up a link to your grow journal your doing right now , I'd love to see your work .
As far as for curing, I can tell you haven't got a clue what 3 year old bud even looks like as well as how it would taste or smell , so how would you know ?
Look up curing my Friend :) Long cures are better for flavor, terpin and smoothness of the smoke . The cure is perfect even aftr 3 years , you just have to make sure your jars stay cool or some of the THC would trun to CBD and it would be more couch lock rather that a up high as it is now :) .
For a buds flavor to come into itself, terpenes , taste ect . longer curing is the way to go .
The THC potency is going higher , but I can see but what you say you have no clue what good older strains are and why they're coveted . I've seen nothing that compares to the buds high or flavor that we got in the 60's and 70's . If I could get those seeds I'd grow them in a heart beat . I'd also breed them to a strong strain from now and create my own new strain .
I'm afraid my friend , you can't make great bud without staring from somewhere and it was through us "Older" growers , way before your time. No offense ;)
Not sure what the bud I grow now tests out to be THC wise but it kicks ass , send me the money and I'd be more than happy to have it tested :)

Top Bottom