Problematic Plant/COCO medium/FFOF issues?

• Thread starter CosmoGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Imposter soil grower here ... That soil must be hot af cause that plant is showing a decent amount of nitrogen toxicity.

I won't comment on the rest but I would question using that soil for young plants and may be a better idea to wait until they are a little bigger before using it.

Nitrogen Toxicity! Thanks , Marking it down in the notes. I did feed nutes too, so no more nutes!

Just to give you a warning. Coco/perlite grows, unless they are in huge pots, with slow release is just a world or problems since you will be watering a ton.

Do you have any recommendations for ferts for a coco-perlite grow? i really just feel like coco might steer me away from this problem.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nitrogen Toxicity! Thanks , Marking it down in the notes. I did feed nutes too, so no more nutes!

Do you have any recommendations for ferts for a coco-perlite grow? i really just feel like coco might steer me away from this problem.
Ok that makes more sense it may not be the soil so much as you adding more nutrients to a soil that already contains nutrients

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Ok that makes more sense it may not be the soil so much as you adding more nutrients to a soil that already contains nutrients

I think what ive learned is better watering practices. Still need to aim down how much to water, and when. and how much and when to feed nutrients. I appreciate every single comment.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think what ive learned is better watering practices. Still need to aim down how much to water, and when. and how much and when to feed nutrients. I appreciate every single comment.
Take pot fill it with soil mix and put it on a scale... Then saturate it and do the same. Then simply weight before you water now I'm a fledgling soil grower not even 1 full grow under my belt and no coco experience so as to what weight you want to water at I will leave to the others but I would think at about 30% you would water. Just until you get a feel for it

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

if you are regularly letting your rootball get this dry as shown in your pics you are underwatering. The trick s to keep the soil moist all the way thru the rootball but never soggy sopping wet either. Heres a trick I used in the beginning and you will hear it alot in the forums. Water the pot to where you are seeing 10-20 % run off and then heft the pot up to get a feel of its weight once well watered. Then you can use this as 1 way to know when they may be thirsty by lifting the pots to see how light they feel. AS they drink and the water evaporates the pots will become lighter. Fabric pots will def dry out the soil quicker than plastic pots as they allow more aeration to the rootzone and thus the soil drys out much quicker. In a fab bag the size you are using a 2/3 cup of water isnt near enough moisture.
glad to see you back feller

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Appreciate all the seasoned advice. You guys are saving me from just stressing out and chucking everything in the garbage and saying fuck it, Lessons learned. Got some new seeds germinating i wont feed for awhile, just gunna germ, place in 1 gallon FFOF pots and just practice correctly watering ph 6.8 water. i wont let it go a week this time without any water. LOL.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

seems you forgot to mention you never water to runoff,there be a salt buildup sooner than later,that plant hasnt had any water around roots at all it looks like,buy the way i never said using coco and ocean was a bad idea,i said i dont understand it,the mudding you call it,is the coco,if it isnt hydrated it will turn to dust,and the little tbsp of water you been giving it hadnt even hydrated the soil at all much less the coco,peat moss does the same thing when you water it,just sits on top of it takes forever to go into pot,once you do have it hydrated it holdson to the moisture,what it is supose to do,anyway tried to help and throwed my shit to another for a battle it seems so good luck mate may the force be with you

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
seems you forgot to mention you never water to runoff,there be a salt buildup sooner than later,that plant hasnt had any water around roots at all it looks like,buy the way i never said using coco and ocean was a bad idea,i said i dont understand it,the mudding you call it,is the coco,if it isnt hydrated it will turn to dust,and the little tbsp of water you been giving it hadnt even hydrated the soil at all much less the coco,peat moss does the same thing when you water it,just sits on top of it takes forever to go into pot,once you do have it hydrated it holdson to the moisture,what it is supose to do,anyway tried to help and throwed my shit to another for a battle it seems so good luck mate may the force be with you

Definitely not, I have a journal with everything separate, from a coco grow to soil grows, and everything noted down, as everyone comments i write it in my journal to learn from. Appreciate the comments for sure, and definitely learning from them. Not trying to start an issue. just trying to learn and respond to everyones opinions equally. i kind of have alot going on in my head as im at about plant number 30 dead and im clueless as to what do, now im thinking coco, which ive never even done, but people are saying its harder, but looks easier? so idek. just here for opinions and knowledgeable advice.. figured i would throw my ideas in the ring. not pushing your seasoned opinions away to another battle, sorry if thats how it seemed. Appreciate the comments for sure.

Better watering practices needed is the main thing i guess.

mudding you call it,is the coco,if it isnt hydrated it will turn to dust,and the little tbsp of water you been giving it hadnt even hydrated the soil at all much less the coco,peat moss does the same thing when you water it,just sits on top of it takes forever to go into pot,once you do have it hydrated it holdson to the moisture,what it is supose to do,

EDIT: after re-reading the post 7 times, Especially thank you for this, now i know coco wont help me.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Definitely not, I have a journal with everything separate, from a coco grow to soil grows, and everything noted down, as everyone comments i write it in my journal to learn from. Appreciate the comments for sure, and definitely learning from them. Not trying to start an issue. just trying to learn and respond to everyones opinions equally. i kind of have alot going on in my head as im at about plant number 30 dead and im clueless as to what do, now im thinking coco, which ive never even done, but people are saying its harder, but looks easier? so idek. just here for opinions and knowledgeable advice.. figured i would throw my ideas in the ring. not pushing your seasoned opinions away to another battle, sorry if thats how it seemed. Appreciate the comments for sure.

Better watering practices needed is the main thing i guess.
If I can give one word of advice. I would pick a style of grow and stick with it. As you correct the issues you learn from them and how they apply to that method of growing. If you keep changing the grow style you keep starting over in terms of knowledge on that grow style.

I would pick a method and stick to it but also looks for a successful grower using that style and mimic it as best you can.

And remember notes are great but solutions are not absolute there is no 1 answer to 1 problem but many answer to ever single problem and it's all based on the many variables of growing. I found researching and understanding plant processes while can be daunting and time consuming a much more effective way to troubleshoot issues than trying to find solutions to individual problems.

So many times you see deficiencies and people try to add more of the identified deficiency when maybe 5% of the time that's the case.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
If I can give one word of advice. I would pick a style of grow and stick with it. As you correct the issues you learn from them and how they apply to that method of growing. If you keep changing the grow style you keep starting over in terms of knowledge on that grow style.

I would pick a method and stick to it but also looks for a successful grower using that style and mimic it as best you can.

This is why my head is all flustered, i cant figure out which grow style is going to work the best. thats why im trying 30000 different things and now its like im shooting myself in the foot. Especially because i cant get one to work. Im understanding how things work better though. Just in this post has taught me alot. i dont throw any ideas/opinions to the curbs, just ponder them and note them down and think of maybe if its a better path or not.

And remember notes are great but solutions are not absolute there is no 1 answer to 1 problem but many answer to ever single problem and it's all based on the many variables of growing. I found researching and understanding plant processes while can be daunting and time consuming a much more effective way to troubleshoot issues than trying to find solutions to individual problems.

So many times you see deficiencies and people try to add more of the identified deficiency when maybe 5% of the time that's the case.

👍👍👍

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

im heat to tell ya you hydro guys are freaking rocking here lately,you cemcris,im talking bout ,hell to the ya

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

This is why my head is all flustered, i cant figure out which grow style is going to work the best. thats why im trying 30000 different things and now its like im shooting myself in the foot. Especially because i cant get one to work. Im understanding how things work better though. Just in this post has taught me alot. i dont throw any ideas/opinions to the curbs, just ponder them and note them down and think of maybe if its a better path or not.

👍👍👍

Easiest way to learn this in my opinion is a bale of pro mix hp and a 1 part bottle of balanced complete nutes.

Its all a plant needs to produce fire. And it teaxhes the grower to watch and learn the plants and how to manage the medium with good watering/ fertilizing practices.

And it works great for decades. So its either the watering or fertilizing if something is going wrong. No confusion. Just grower error or success.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Easiest way to learn this in my opinion is a bale of pro mix hp and a 1 part bottle of balanced complete nutes.

Its all a plant needs to produce fire. And it teaxhes the grower to watch and learn the plants and how to manage the medium with good watering/ fertilizing practices.

And it works great for decades. So its either the watering or fertilizing if something is going wrong. No confusion. Just grower error or success.

Thanks, looking up pro mix right now. 1 part bottle, as in like the fox farmgrow big 6-4-4 im using? i know its probably not that great of a nute but,is that atleast what im looking for?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

100% think of all the grows here and issues with them. People chase say 20% faster growth rates but most end up having issues and lose more growth rate than they would have with a simple effect proven method. If not dead plants.

That promix grow I just started has me mind blown. Hydro is fun but it's work and yes it grows much faster but even if I handed my whole system, nutrients etc to someone new I can tell you it wouldn't take long to be a disaster if I wasn't there holding their hand for a few grows to get them the knowledge.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I know a lot of people have chimed in with suggestions on how to go, but I have had great success using Happy Frog from Fox Farms. It has far less amendments than Ocean Forest so I find it much more forgiving when putting young plants into it. It allows for about 10-14 days before needing to provide additional nutrients, at which point I like to stick with organic products. I like Bio Bizz and Roots Organics nutes. They are both pretty basic lines and both seem to be quite effective.

Also, that Grow Big is not a stand alone nutrient, it is meant to be used with Big Bloom. Then Tiger Bloom is meant to be used with Big Bloom. I really think they need to change the name of that product, it really acts more like a micro in a three part nutrient solution. A good one part would be the Flora Nova products from Gen Hydro.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
I know a lot of people have chimed in with suggestions on how to go, but I have had great success using Happy Frog from Fox Farms. It has far less amendments than Ocean Forest so I find it much more forgiving when putting young plants into it. It allows for about 10-14 days before needing to provide additional nutrients, at which point I like to stick with organic products. I like Bio Bizz and Roots Organics nutes. They are both pretty basic lines and both seem to be quite effective.

Also, that Grow Big is not a stand alone nutrient, it is meant to be used with Big Bloom. Then Tiger Bloom is meant to be used with Big Bloom. I really think they need to change the name of that product, it really acts more like a micro in a three part nutrient solution. A good one part would be the Flora Nova products from Gen Hydro.

Appreciate it, like i said before i definitely take in all comments and info, im going to look into FloraNova, i think what it really comes down to is just my watering practices. in the beginning of this plants life i let it go 8 days without water, i believe that caused this rootball to dry up in a way, and became like a dusty rock in a way, which this happened because i paniced that i was over watering. im going to definitely work on watering better with these next seeds germinating. im going to get this lol. Might switch to happy frog and see if that soil is more forgiving to shitty gardeners like me lol.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
@Smoking Gun, while your around,if you look at my post on page one you can see how my rootball is all driedup, i smacked all the dried dirt off it, but i wasnt able to get it all off,it is still kinda chunky and im just hoping for the best. i guess i plan on chucking this one out,just giving it a last hope. Do you think to break up that dried root ball, i could give the plant a good flush, and really moisten the medium? or do you think that flush will just give me more issues with overwatering?? or really, not even a flush i guess, just a super good watering lol. its in fresh soil now but, i still transplanted part of the rootball i couldnt get off so i feel like im about to run into the same issue..
This is the dirt ball im trying to break up.

I wish i wasnt so bad at this. LOL.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Time and patience .... It will pay off.
WTF is patience? (Obviously im kidding)
I just dont have any, and its killing me, but i have to learn, i know that.
Wish there was like a grow weed direction book lolol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom