Problematic Plant/COCO medium/FFOF issues?

• Thread starter CosmoGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

WTF is patience? (Obviously im kidding)
I just dont have any, and its killing me, but i have to learn, i know that.
Wish there was like a grow weed direction book lolol.
You know it reminds me of my fish breeding days. I had cuckoo catfish I was trying to breed. They are a parasite breeder that interrupt mouth browsers (typically mbuna species) I fucked with them for a year and a half was pulling my hair out trying to get those fucker to breed. I finally said fuck it and I ended up throwing them in my display take with some electric yellows. 5 weeks later my electric yellows were holding cuckoo catfish fry... Sometimes I think life just knows you want something so bad it decides to have some fun with it and fuck with ya.

It will come... Just don't give up. Take things slow and keep it simple. You got this.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
I think after reading the comments my final conclusion is im going to make the switch to promix hp or fox farm happy frog, go with a floranova one part grow and bloom, which i just found on amazon. Ill be sure to try and water, eh aim for every 3-4 days or so? ill test pot weights and everything also. I know the rough measurement is water when top inch is dry.

You know it reminds me of my fish breeding days. I had cuckoo catfish I was trying to breed. They are a parasite breeder that interrupt mouth browsers (typically mbuna species) I fucked with them for a year and a half was pulling my hair out trying to get those fucker to breed. I finally said fuck it and I ended up throwing them in my display take with some electric yellows. 5 weeks later my electric yellows were holding cuckoo catfish fry... Sometimes I think life just knows you want something so bad it decides to have some fun with it and fuck with ya.

It will come... Just don't give up. Take things slow and keep it simple. You got this.

Hahah, thanks for the reassurance man, you really hit it on the dot. i really just want to be able to do this, and im dedicated, and i will not give up. it just really is super frustrating because i had a decent first harvest, i should be able to do this again, and i havent really switcched anything up, i guess just my shitty watering techniques.

My first harvest is posted below, ever since this, ive just been a plant murderer. Ive got like 30 charges of plant murder against me rn. :(
This is why its frustrating, because the first harvest was fairly decent.

Last edited:
CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
So its another day for the plants as my light just turned on from night cycle. and look at this baby after the transplant. she perked right up just over a couple hours. Luck? Is it just showing happiness for now to fuck me later? I guess ill see lol.
Shes not fully there, but looking better.

20191028 000234
20191028 000211
Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So its another day for the plants as my light just turned on from night cycle. and look at this baby after the transplant. she perked right up just over a couple hours. Luck? Is it just showing happiness for now to fuck me later? I guess ill see lol.
Shes not fully there, but looking better.
Looks better! If that were my plant I would water the hole pot particularly the outer edges to get the roots to grow out into the soil to encourage root spread rather than right around the base of the plant, good luck!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Appreciate it, like i said before i definitely take in all comments and info, im going to look into FloraNova, i think what it really comes down to is just my watering practices. in the beginning of this plants life i let it go 8 days without water, i believe that caused this rootball to dry up in a way, and became like a dusty rock in a way, which this happened because i paniced that i was over watering. im going to definitely work on watering better with these next seeds germinating. im going to get this lol. Might switch to happy frog and see if that soil is more forgiving to shitty gardeners like me lol.

You are already on the right path. Too many newer grower tend to try and jump into advanced techs before getting the basics down. Just opens up a world of problems. No matter how much you read and research nothing will trump seat time. Simple 1 part nutes mix. PH understanding. Watering understanding. Once that is nailed you are off to the races with testing out different mixes and styles. All that basic info will translate to everything else you will throw at it.

Whatever you choose soil, coco, perlite, hydroton I would say just stick with it and keep doing the same thing before jumping around. Getting seat time on the same thing over and over without jumping around will give you a good amount of knowledge and experience a lot quicker. Take lots of notes.

As far as nutes. Maxigrow, PBP Grow (non soil even if in soil), Nova, Foxfarm Grow Big Hydro, any of the premixes like Megacrop, Veg + Bloom. Basically just look for a 1 part that has been used by a lot of people without much issue. All of those will be good from start to finish veg plus flower.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks, looking up pro mix right now. 1 part bottle, as in like the fox farmgrow big 6-4-4 im using? i know its probably not that great of a nute but,is that atleast what im looking for?

I dont think grow big from fox farm is a complete nute. Needs the other bottles as a 3 part.

I use pure blend pro grow. Dynagrow foliage pro is very popular and proven. Flora nova from general hydroponics is excellent too.

Sure there are many others. Make sure they include calcium and micro nutes. With good tap water even calcium may not be needed.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I know a lot of people have chimed in with suggestions on how to go, but I have had great success using Happy Frog from Fox Farms. It has far less amendments than Ocean Forest so I find it much more forgiving when putting young plants into it. It allows for about 10-14 days before needing to provide additional nutrients, at which point I like to stick with organic products. I like Bio Bizz and Roots Organics nutes. They are both pretty basic lines and both seem to be quite effective.

Also, that Grow Big is not a stand alone nutrient, it is meant to be used with Big Bloom. Then Tiger Bloom is meant to be used with Big Bloom. I really think they need to change the name of that product, it really acts more like a micro in a three part nutrient solution. A good one part would be the Flora Nova products from Gen Hydro.

Oops i repeated what you said about grow big . Hadnt read this far yet

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Appreciate it, like i said before i definitely take in all comments and info, im going to look into FloraNova, i think what it really comes down to is just my watering practices. in the beginning of this plants life i let it go 8 days without water, i believe that caused this rootball to dry up in a way, and became like a dusty rock in a way, which this happened because i paniced that i was over watering. im going to definitely work on watering better with these next seeds germinating. im going to get this lol. Might switch to happy frog and see if that soil is more forgiving to shitty gardeners like me lol.

I recomend adding 25% large perlite to happy frog (and ocean forest) for better drainage.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Looks better! If that were my plant I would water the hole pot particularly the outer edges to get the roots to grow out into the soil to encourage root spread rather than right around the base of the plant, good luck!

THANK YOU FOR THIS! I didnt know i could have roots spread that way, itll help me out so much to have more roots and spread out more, it might help my shitty watering habits. Thank you, THANK YOU.

You are already on the right path. Too many newer grower tend to try and jump into advanced techs before getting the basics down. Just opens up a world of problems. No matter how much you read and research nothing will trump seat time. Simple 1 part nutes mix. PH understanding. Watering understanding. Once that is nailed you are off to the races with testing out different mixes and styles. All that basic info will translate to everything else you will throw at it.

Whatever you choose soil, coco, perlite, hydroton I would say just stick with it and keep doing the same thing before jumping around. Getting seat time on the same thing over and over without jumping around will give you a good amount of knowledge and experience a lot quicker. Take lots of notes.

I know PH, watering correctly and environment pretty much make or break your plants, i mean, it just did make or break my plant so it shows. I know to learn all this shit, and get it down, i have to fail, and i have to fail hard, but the failures are killing me, and i have no paitence. with all this added up, my head wants to do like 30 different things just to get shit to work. so thats why i thru out the coco idea and all that. But you guys are right, i really just need to stick to the one and learn. i mean shit, if i wanna be a good cannabis grower, i need to be able to grow in all methods (in my opinion) so skipping the soil part of growing, would be kinda against my idea. I know some people like just grow hydro, or just coco, but id really like to be knowledgabe eventually in all areas. But, definitely start with just soil first! Appreciate the positivity, its helping from keeping me from chucking this grow tent in the garbage. For real. LOL.

As far as nutes. Maxigrow, PBP Grow (non soil even if in soil), Nova, Foxfarm Grow Big Hydro, any of the premixes like Megacrop, Veg + Bloom. Basically just look for a 1 part that has been used by a lot of people without much issue. All of those will be good from start to finish veg plus flower.

noted all the brands down, ill probably stick with nova. just because it was suggested above by someone way more experienced than me. I did mark all these brands down in my journal,incase im just not feeling the nova. I do have some megacrop on the way also. i guess ill be able to pick and choose. I know not to mix nute brands, atleast as far as i heard???

I dont think grow big from fox farm is a complete nute. Needs the other bottles as a 3 part.

I use pure blend pro grow. Dynagrow foliage pro is very popular and proven. Flora nova from general hydroponics is excellent too.

Sure there are many others. Make sure they include calcium and micro nutes. With good tap water even calcium may not be needed.

I recomend adding 25% large perlite to happy frog (and ocean forest) for better drainage.

Pure blend pro grow, Dynagrow. CHECK! marked down in the journal. Ive seen dynagrow, i will have a better look into it, do my research and all that goodjazz.
I do have pretty hard 175ppm tap water.(average test when it comes out of the tap) Think it contains enough natural Cal?

Btw, Got a nice huge bag of perlite sitting right next to me right now. Were good to go :D ill pick up some happy frog i think, im kinda bouncing back and forth between the promix and the happy frog, but i think ill go happy frog just because i already started out with a FF brand, i guess ill just try one more and if i dont feel it, ill try promix.

holy shit, i cant believe how much ive learned, just in this one post. You guys are fucking awesome. I couldnt be more appreciative for all the help. If i could send e-joints everyone would get five! 😁😁😁😁

time to go do my research and study up!

BTW: The plant that was in question on this post is even looking BETTER now, i will post another picture update here in a sec.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

THANK YOU FOR THIS! I didnt know i could have roots spread that way, itll help me out so much to have more roots and spread out more, it might help my shitty watering habits. Thank you, THANK YOU.

I know PH, watering correctly and environment pretty much make or break your plants, i mean, it just did make or break my plant so it shows. I know to learn all this shit, and get it down, i have to fail, and i have to fail hard, but the failures are killing me, and i have no paitence. with all this added up, my head wants to do like 30 different things just to get shit to work. so thats why i thru out the coco idea and all that. But you guys are right, i really just need to stick to the one and learn. i mean shit, if i wanna be a good cannabis grower, i need to be able to grow in all methods (in my opinion) so skipping the soil part of growing, would be kinda against my idea. I know some people like just grow hydro, or just coco, but id really like to be knowledgabe eventually in all areas. But, definitely start with just soil first! Appreciate the positivity, its helping from keeping me from chucking this grow tent in the garbage. For real. LOL.

noted all the brands down, ill probably stick with nova. just because it was suggested above by someone way more experienced than me. I did mark all these brands down in my journal,incase im just not feeling the nova. I do have some megacrop on the way also. i guess ill be able to pick and choose. I know not to mix nute brands, atleast as far as i heard???

Pure blend pro grow, Dynagrow. CHECK! marked down in the journal. Ive seen dynagrow, i will have a better look into it, do my research and all that goodjazz.
I do have pretty hard 175ppm tap water.(average test when it comes out of the tap) Think it contains enough natural Cal?

Btw, Got a nice huge bag of perlite sitting right next to me right now. Were good to go :D ill pick up some happy frog i think, im kinda bouncing back and forth between the promix and the happy frog, but i think ill go happy frog just because i already started out with a FF brand, i guess ill just try one more and if i dont feel it, ill try promix.

holy shit, i cant believe how much ive learned, just in this one post. You guys are fucking awesome. I couldnt be more appreciative for all the help. If i could send e-joints everyone would get five! 😁😁😁😁

time to go do my research and study up!

BTW: The plant that was in question on this post is even looking BETTER now, i will post another picture update here in a sec.
With 175ppm from the tap you should be good on calcium I would say it's likely that 70-120ppm of that will be calcium which is usually the largest contribution to the overall ppm of tap water.

You can google your local water report and post it here if ya need some help breaking it down.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
With 175ppm from the tap you should be good on calcium I would say it's likely that 70-120ppm of that will be calcium which is usually the largest contribution to the overall ppm of tap water.

You can google your local water report and post it here if ya need some help breaking it down.
Will do that right now! in the mean time, i literally recorded myself watering. To much? to little?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm not a coco grower and not even completed 1 indoor soil grow yet but I'm gonna take a stab at this... Please wait for others.

I would say you are under watering. I would saturate the entire grow bag. Until you get run off. Meaning water is coming out from the bottom. The whole pot so all the soil. Then wait for the soil to dry out before watering again.

That's how I do my promix and I think your mix would have even better drainage

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter

am i at the wrong website???

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
I'm not a coco grower and not even completed 1 indoor soil grow yet but I'm gonna take a stab at this... Please wait for others.

I would say you are under watering. I would saturate the entire grow bag. Until you get run off. Meaning water is coming out from the bottom. The whole pot so all the soil. Then wait for the soil to dry out before watering again.

That's how I do my promix and I think your mix would have even better drainage

Will wait for others as you stated. Appreciate the reply even if your not 100% accurate, thanks for the stab man. :D I will let water come out of the bottom.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Take the name of your city/county etc. And Google "(insert name) local water report" then look for the annual report. It will list all sorts of minerals etc. Like nitrogen, calcium, phosphate, iron, lead and so on.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter

Closer? LOL. I wasnt able to find a 2018-2019 report. this one i guess is 2017.do you think things have changed alot? ill keep looking see if i can find a more accurate one.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 905412
View attachment 905413
View attachment 905414

Closer? LOL. I wasnt able to find a 2018-2019 report. this one i guess is 2017.do you think things have changed alot? ill keep looking see if i can find a more accurate one.
I kinda hope so the legal limit to chloramine is 4ppm you have almost 2 and the normal I see is half that. Sodium is a bit high too but not bad and calcium is about 75ppm so this is one of those rare cases I would say mix 50/50 with RO if you can. You may want a water conditioner or vitamin C to neutralize the chlorine if not

TerriR

TerriR

I mean, maybe im so new and im wrong as shit, i could very well be but i though FFOF was a soil? i was thinking about trying out Coco which is a medium rather. just an idea because of the bad luck im having with theese ones.
You can try Happy Frog mixed 50/50 with Coco Loco. I use that outdoors and it is so forgiving! Then all you need is veg nutrient. After 5 years of experimenting, I am back to where I started when I knew nothing. 😂

Top Bottom