prodigy's Big Bushes!!!!

• Thread starter ProdigyGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mango420

mango420

Saying topping doesnt improve yeild is like saying growing bigger plants doesnt improve yeild:sign0065:

Nice show prod, like the thread too, so training day up in here.. hahahaha

ESER.ONE

ESER.ONE

Topping dosent improve yield it just redirects the hormones.. your training and other factors dictate the yield bro. No matter how much you top if the light or nutes ain't right the yield ain't there..

Topping is for people who want a nice top canopy with multiple tops or to help with height. But a lot of people think topping improves yield. It redirects growth hormones. I top to help with height and to get multiple tops on some of my bigger girls and I trim the bottom since it won't get as much light and when that's done all my tops are nice and healthy.

I've actually done this with a tahoe og. The one that got topped and trimmed just had bigger nicer buds instead of the other one that just stretched and the bottom buds were airy. Weight wast exactly the same but there was only a 3 gram difference in the one with all the airy buds.

ESER.ONE

ESER.ONE

Be happy about those whitedawgs and hit your garden with them bro! I'm sure you will make something to be proud of!

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Maybe it was ur environment that tilted the scales & made so many boys.. I've read that environment factors can make or break ur Male/female ratio .. I've even read that nutes play a part also.. I'm not sure if it's true that's juss what I've read.. I'm not sure about how it go's but if I had 2 guess I think females will come out with colder temps with low nitrogen. Or maybe the other way around? I'm not sure about that I would have 2 re-read the thread.. Juss something 2 think about.. It could b wrong about this..

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
Saying topping doesnt improve yeild is like saying growing bigger plants doesnt improve yeild:sign0065:

Nice show prod, like the thread too, so training day up in here.. hahahaha

I agree topping does inporve yield I try to cram as many branches as I can on the plant for as many bud positions = bigger yield

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Supporter
Thanks bro I'm gonna hit them to the white Appalachia thanks for checking it out bro.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Supporter
My environment is cool temp 75 but ur rite it's cilder temps blur light and high nitrogen make fems I just think I was do for some males Ive Ben pretty lucky with mostly female plants so ut was about time. Thanks goo stay frosty bro !

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Rite on I kinda thought it was sumthin like that.. Yea I'm thinking it was time if u were super luck with girls all the time.. If u keep rollin the dice ur bound 2 hit snake eyes sooner or later i hope u get better luck next time.. Maybe u got a super pheno in the bunch of girls u juss popped.. Let's cross r fingers

K

Kaybee

Do you think maybe the topping on plants grown from seed could cause enough stress to make them hermies? Have you ever let one of these grow out to see if it develops female flowers as well later on? My experience has been when I apply any stress to seed grows, I get more herms that tend to show male flowers first. However the ones that survive the stress and are pure female are usually great plants. Once I have a nice true female mother, I apply stress to the clones with no problems. IMHO any time you stress a cannabis plant grown from seed the potential for this happens.

In your case, you will probably pull more yield off the topped females than keeping them all untopped, just food for thought.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Supporter
ya i never thought of it like that but im not sure because ive never had a herm b4 and these were flat out males little balls a swinging and the females ive found showed pistils and you can tell the difference between the shape of the pistil and a ball i call them little pares or hershey kisses because thats what they remind me of and the they stay right on the node the balls usually come out a bit and then hang in my experience at least theres a few im not sure about and i kept those the males show sex way faster than females sometimes its had to spot that single hair coming out but i use a magnifying glass and that usually does it oh and some more good news my alien dawg is a female and the smaler one was a male and ive never seen a more pronounced male then that alien dawg i mean it had clusters of balls where the others had a single or 2 it was crazy because how much younger the alien dawg was it would have probably ben a good male to keep but i dnt have room or time to keep more than one male and i think this white dawg male is gonna make a few bomb ass crosses im gonna hit the white dawg to the Corleone kush the julius caesar the tahoe the larry the white appalachia and the bubba oh and the black berry pie just a small branch on each to see what comes out of them im sure im gonna find some super dank with genes like those

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Supporter
Rite on I kinda thought it was sumthin like that.. Yea I'm thinking it was time if u were super luck with girls all the time.. If u keep rollin the dice ur bound 2 hit snake eyes sooner or later i hope u get better luck next time.. Maybe u got a super pheno in the bunch of girls u juss popped.. Let's cross r fingers

i hope so and i think i might have because the tahoe and the black berry pie and white appalachia are the most beautiful plants ive ever seen so vigorous just pissed of growing crazy i just put the tahoe and bbp in 7gal pots im also gonna put one of the larry's the white appalachia and the other bubba oh and the alien dawg i have down stairs is gonna go in a 7 gallon pot but i just popped 2 guava 13's 2 white dawgs 2 of the 6 seeds i found in the picture of the bud i put up 1 starberry indica and 1 more jazz berry jam so i hope i get a fem out of each one of those

mango420

mango420

"Topping dosent improve yield it just redirects the hormones"
Well this is completely false, unless your growing 2 plants in beer cups in your bathroom sink cabinet topping will improve yeild by making the plant larger, all your lowers will shoot up along with all your other branches trying to compete to be the top. More tops, more branches = more bud, thats about as simple as it gets. If you didnt get larger yeilds by topping then you are doing something very wrong and dont know how to bush a plant out properly.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Supporter
yep more branches = more bud sites = more bud and there are many different ways of topping I'm not sure what the way i do its called but i know it works i think the method your talking about is called uncle bill topping and thats not the way i do it but its not a bad way to do it its just not the way i do it.

ESER.ONE

ESER.ONE

Lol I had explained why but its dumb to go back and forth about something I have experimented with.. all I will say is give your plants enough light and you will never ever need to top unless is for height restrictions..

The more you top the more your main cola shrinks sharing its juices with the other tops.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Supporter
Thanks bro I'll show some monster colas here in a month or so

K

Kaybee

Some say stressing a cannabis plant from seed during veg is ok, as long as it isn't during flower. I am in the other camp that believes any stress to a seed plant will create the propensity for herms. When I topped from seed during veg, my amount of 'males' jumps way up. However I've left some growing and almost always later on they start developing female pistils too, they male flowers just show first. When I don't top or cut in any way (except remove fan leaves when they yellow and droop) I average 6 out of 10 female and while that is an average over hundreds of plants, it always goes down hill when I apply stress. I do recommend topping clones though. The one other thing I wanted to say was there are obviously some hermie resistant strains out there (old Brothers Grimm stock for instance) that some breeders still mix with. I grew out C99 and Apollo 11 / 13 extensively and I was able to top from seed with nothing but good results.

As far as your specific grow, I think you are doing great! I don't think the males you are getting have anything to do with your environment. I think once you have stable mothers and top from clone you will have huge success as you already have the topping part down. Keep in mind any stress before sexual maturity (which for cannabis is usually the 6th internode from seed) can affect sex. I noticed you top early on, that's why I mention it.

As far as yield goes... both camps are correct IMHO. OUTDOORS, where the lower buds get as intense light as the top buds, topping doesn't do much but change the shape of the plant. Generally you'll yield the same topping or not.. but keep in mind the bigger she is when you flower her the more bud you will get. INDOORS it is much different as artificial light looses intensity very quickly. So, getting more bud sites towards the top, where the intense light is, increases yields. Just like lowering an air cooled hood will increase yield as long as it isn't too hot. Indoors, topping and supercropping def increase yield, no doubt about it. Do a side by side and it's obvious. It's not like outdoors, where you have the sun pouring down intense rays and UV light, the difference between 1 ft off the ground and 10 ft off the ground is the same. Indoors, the more budsites that get light the more yield you get.

Prodigy for your 3rd grow you are doing awesome! Keep it up...

Top Bottom