PROPER ETIQUET 4 COLLECTING SEEDS

• Thread starter Medusa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on collecting seeds and eventually starting a seed co. Considering every seed company out there started out with somebody's seeds. Would appreciate everyones thoughts . Thanks Medusa

K

KO Genetics

i say.. use peoples work... but dont take there seeds.. pick a female and male out of a 10 pack.. make seeds and sell them.. if your going to use some1 elses work u better do a decent selection.. and do some work backcrossing or something because its not right to use some1 elses work as your own.. i think everyone uses others work .. even the new shit.. and old.. but u should give credit to the person who made the shit your working with.

thats just me tho

K

KO Genetics

i guess.. lol.. but i think people that take clones.. and just self em and sell them .. and pop up out of nowhere and sell GSC or other clone onlys.. is just retarded. but if u make ur own strains using others. crossin. backcrossing. and actually putting in a decent amount of work . just give credit and things will go well for u . dont lie about were u obtained males and clones.. if u want to keep a halfway decent reputation.. u need to work on something. then release testers. see what people think. but if ur serious about making seed. id wait until u have 2-5 different strains made worked on and everything. then id wait.. work on 2-5 strains and ull kill it wen u release.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I believe there are too many breeders. I think too much is being made of strains and not enough of good gardening skills.

That said, good genetics are key.

And so is the ability to get the most out of them.

Yin and yang. My concern is that this breathless, headlong rush to breeding as the answer to all ills ignores basic gardening principles, let alone the investigation of better techniques.

soserthc1

soserthc1

My opinion on the subject is if you purchased the seeds / cut that entitles you to do as you please with them. If the seeds or cut were a gift to ask permission would be the proper approach.

As far as seed companies were there is a demand there will all ways be business (is there to many Mcdonalds) but I believe as stated above you need to do the work and not just make a random cross and sell the seeds. This might gain you a short term hype but people/ growers come to know the real breeders from the pollen chuckers.

Also hype has alot to do with it as if you create something special (GSC) then you would be off any running , plus buying seeds , collecting seeds is an addiction so addictions must be feed.

Limited release of a special looking plant seems to draw lots of hype - I would even gather to say that alot of gear you see over hyped with the limited moniker is actually not the case most times ...... just my 2 cents as I am a aspiring breeder because I love everything about the plant

blessings
SoSerThc1

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hm... I don't think there are too many breeders (seed suppliers) of cannabis any more than I think there are too many tomato breeders. It's just more lucrative, is all. But with saturation, maybe we can finally get some solid answers on lines and breeding (once laws change) rather than this odd line of stories that have to be pieced together, all based off internet speculation or he said/she said.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
I believe there will always be a demand exspecially when the gov gets there grimmy hands on it and thc content is 10%... going back to the old strains I think could be a good start... Also would like to see disp give more credit to breeders and not themselves . Most patients don't even know who's creating what!

motiv303

motiv303

Amputating Fakeness
Supporter
In my opinion if the seeds are going to be for sale, 1st there should be a solid attempt at getting permission from the breeder whos work gets used and credit should definitely be given to them. 2nd i feel the lines/crosses made should be worked and some true selecting of breeding parents for traits should be done, not just smashing "this stinky male to this frosty female" and releasing the f1's for $, especially without a good amount of testing. On the other hand, i see no issues with crossing up others work to make beans for ones self or friends without permission, as long as they get passed freely or traded only. As for me personally, the seed game is not something i wish to be a part of at this point in time. Only homemade crosses for self or homies for this cat. Best of luck Medusa, keep your head up eyes & ears open, the seed biz is SHADY. Much love. Motiv

frebo

frebo

I have been crossing strains since the seventies for my own use and in the eighties I had a THROWBACK. I had gotten the seed from a friend not knowing any history of the strain. I grew seed and used it the next year. The plant looked normal, had a fresh tire rubber smell but did nothing but give me a headache. Every year I smell that smell on a plant or two and hope that I don't have the same thing again. This year my Elvis has that smell but I have already tasted/tested it and it will be great.

I took a grow class at the local dispensary and the teacher was preaching against crossing strains because of all the strains we already have and that we are losing some of the old standards.

I bought seed for the first time this year. The jury is still out on those but they were not cheap. I think the more the better. The price will be lower with more.

We should ALWAYS be able to grow our own and not be forced to buy from a dispensary.

MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

If it's not stable, it isn't worth selling, IMO. If you breed and give your crosses away, good for you. You're still a breeder, just not a greedy bastard. Just like the price of weed has crashed in MMJ states, so will the price of seeds in time, due to over saturation in the market. Then seed companies will fight for market share by lowering the price of their shit seed or by offering top quality stabilized strains. I've always been one who believes a little quality goes a lot further than a whole pile of trash. I used to love DNA seeds but in the last 2 years, they've added so much bullshit to their menu. Have they lost their mojo too? It just shows that not only are there too many new fools in the game, but there are old gurus being foolish as well. What is the purpose of White Label Seeds, or any discount offshoot? Are those seeds any different from Sensi, other than the price? The whole market has been over complicated and over priced, but is under delivering.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Heres a link to a thread i started awhile back,some good stuff in it from alot of folks,.I say personally do whatever makes you happy!I built a whole room that one day when i retire i hope to do seed runs in but they will not be for sale but rather given freely,kind of a calling card/signature strain if you will,give a man a bud and he smokes for a day but give him a pack of seeds and he smokes forever IF he does work,lol.

homebrew420

homebrew420

If one purchased seeds they own them. Ownership give you the right to do what one pleases. If gifted it is best to ask.
We are almost all standing on someone's shoulders when it comes time for selecting parental stock. Why is this a concern anymore is beyond me.
The idea of only releasing true breeding varieties is un appealing to me. And difficult to say the least. Kudos to all that decide this route. In comparison to tomatoe breeds there are so much to be seen in the hybrids! Testing the hybrids is an absolute must however. Honest evaluation needs to be done. Not the Dutch lavishly hyped descriptions of mostly imaginary flowers. Sorry I m sometimes prone to hater statis when comes to industry ddiscussions. (The Dutch have obviously given us a great deal of wonderful varieties. Things we would have never obtained otherwise.)
Personally,
I like seeds.. I love making seeds. I love testing progeny..that being said. Seeds, I give or sell, are at owners descression. I worked at it and was rewarded. Whether by way of pleasing someone else or by being paid. Its all good.
Peace

Dunge

Dunge

It's all about enforcement.
Talk to a corn farmer about replanting your crop.
It is illegal, and GMO producers press the cops and courts into action.
Here, at the farm, we have the other end of the spectrum.
Asking the question and wringing our hands over the overwhelming moral dilemmas growing in our tents.
Think of a time in the not to distant future when big reefer has managed to create a bush that everybody loves.
You may not be charged with cultivation or possession, but rather for growing a genetically protected line.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

If you select traits within a strain to make a hetero trait homo, then do it again with the other strain, then cross so the homo's are a given on any pheno, you have made a strain IMO.

Stability is an opinion, there always seems to be some expression over a range of phenos. Thats why you breed within the strain on each side first.

For example I only selected plants with the earliest signs of resin production. Not all the plants threw glands right away, thus they were not used. Since not all plants threw early glands, it can be established that early resin production is not a homozygous trait.

The idea is to breed for that trait, through repetitive generations of selective breeding within the strain. Once that trait is a given on any plant, then you can move to the next strain your going to cross it with.

So I have a Juicy Fruit with early resin production, throws glands in preflower every time. I'm ready to cross it with my Mendocino Purple that throws glands in preflower every time. The trait of early glands is now a given in any phenotype.

So from the start I had a goal, to cross these two strains and get these results. Someone cannot just cross juicy fruit and mendo purps and get what I have, therefore its mine.

Maybe I'm wrong but the logic seems sound to me. The plant with monster 2 liter colas packed with resin and smelling like grape soda and dog poop is your keeper.

germinator

germinator

So should genotypes and phenotypes be genetically mapped and trademarked?

At least then it can be positively identified as that genotype and tested as a known.

What an interesting can of worms...huh

Top Bottom