PROPER ETIQUET 4 COLLECTING SEEDS

• Thread starter Medusa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
homebrew420

homebrew420

So should genotypes and phenotypes be genetically mapped and trademarked?

At least then it can be positively identified as that genotype and tested as a known.

What an interesting can of worms...huh
Maybe.? Either way it will happen. As this becomes more accepted and laws are changed it will become corporate. Sad truth I believe. Hopefully no transgenetic gmo.

Peace

MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

Farmers in Kentucky are fighting as we speak to legalize industrial hemp and the state is seriously considering because tobacco use has slowed substantially in the last decade. It already is corporate. There is a company that has a thc/opiate drug for cancer patients going through stage 2 trials.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Wow, went from a discussion about seed etiquette to comparing our seed culture- and it is as much a culture as it is an industry in cannabis circles- to Monsanto and raising the specter of GMO pot and lawsuits over patented/protected strains.

You know what? The future is calling- if you can patent a bacteria or a strain of corn, it's definitely going to hold for legalized cannabis. Like it or not, biotech pot is the next frontier, and that scares the shit out of me and excites me both at once!

soserthc1

soserthc1

If one purchased seeds they own them. Ownership give you the right to do what one pleases. If gifted it is best to ask.
We are almost all standing on someone's shoulders when it comes time for selecting parental stock. Why is this a concern anymore is beyond me.
The idea of only releasing true breeding varieties is un appealing to me. And difficult to say the least. Kudos to all that decide this route. In comparison to tomatoe breeds there are so much to be seen in the hybrids! Testing the hybrids is an absolute must however. Honest evaluation needs to be done. Not the Dutch lavishly hyped descriptions of mostly imaginary flowers. Sorry I m sometimes prone to hater statis when comes to industry ddiscussions. (The Dutch have obviously given us a great deal of wonderful varieties. Things we would have never obtained otherwise.)
Personally,
I like seeds.. I love making seeds. I love testing progeny..that being said. Seeds, I give or sell, are at owners descression. I worked at it and was rewarded. Whether by way of pleasing someone else or by being paid. Its all good.
Peace
end of discussion .... if bought do as you please , if gifted , testers ask or don't breed , I think its great that alot of u say seeds should be spread to everyone free of charge and i have given my share of seed away and get great satisfaction from it but I will be damned if I am not entitled to also make seed for sale and yes the work will be done as in any business good product sells itself and garbage sits on the shelf ......

Twisted pleasure

Twisted pleasure

You know what? The future is calling- if you can patent a bacteria or a strain of corn, it's definitely going to hold for legalized cannabis. Like it or not, biotech pot is the next frontier, and that scares the shit out of me and excites me both at once!
It sucks but true everything is going to change.

end of discussion .... if bought do as you please , if gifted , testers ask or don't breed , I think its great that alot of u say seeds should be spread to everyone free of charge and i have given my share of seed away and get great satisfaction from it but I will be damned if I am not entitled to also make seed for sale and yes the work will be done as in any business good product sells itself and garbage sits on the shelf ......
Well said.

I think reputation is everything. If you create a reputation from testing and people around you showing your work performing countless times that is what sells seeds

There are so many facets of this industry. G13 seeds ware do they get strains who's are they mystery? Nothing out there just a few people took a few pic but no one knows. Countless breeders like these who the hell is buying from these hideout breeders?

Jaws he gets cuts he has seeds he is always showing what he is doing you know what going on and u can ask him constantly whats going on nothing to hide. Trade hang out cool. Has given away way more then he has ever sold.

Look at bodhi been around creating a reputation now anything he touches gets sold. He doesn't even need testers. He just does it for the fun of playing the part with the community...his way for giving back to all those who follow him and pay good money for his life's work.

Then you have Gage they created a name from a strain I have heard bashed and bashed again Grape stomper. Created with Elite genetics. People have reported that it is frosty but weak. And in the description on Attitude yields 1.75gm per what and can see improvement on that. You can test for them if you have a cfl and a camera. They constantly have hybrids being tested all over the boards getting their name everywhere imaginable. Flooding the market more then any breeder out there. Nice guys M2K is easily approachable. But thats their angle. Hype/flood.

Sorry for the rant but creating a seed company it isn't just about the work its a business and do good business and be successful and stand by your work right or wrong give credit ware credit is due and you will be fine. Wish you much successes. As for me buy what I want trade a little and stick to the growing end of things. Now if I had the plants I had back in the early 90's now I would be cashing in on them for sure but Long gone.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

If your gonna use someone's work then change it enough so that its not just a variation, have it stand alone! The issue is crossing kushes, sours and diesels, you practically end ip with hundreds of variations yet super similar in base tone. Turn a sour, kush ordiesel fruity, floral, chocolaty! Certain aromas and flavors will share, dominated or overall change when paired and this is where individuality and breeding something new comes to play. Also everyones using practically the same genetics so why should I buy from one over the other, I don't, I work my own and am getting a lot of experience with my strains of flavor pairing. I will never sell beans, may barter, gift, but won't sell!

soserthc1

soserthc1

If your gonna use someone's work then change it enough so that its not just a variation, have it stand alone! The issue is crossing kushes, sours and diesels, you practically end ip with hundreds of variations yet super similar in base tone. Turn a sour, kush ordiesel fruity, floral, chocolaty! Certain aromas and flavors will share, dominated or overall change when paired and this is where individuality and breeding something new comes to play. Also everyones using practically the same genetics so why should I buy from one over the other, I don't, I work my own and am getting a lot of experience with my strains of flavor pairing. I will never sell beans, may barter, gift, but won't sell!
And that is your choice and you decision but it does not mean others can't , alot of people have a good/ok job and are happy as a hobbyist grower but some like myself aspire to be a breeder and to make this my profession .. could be a pipe dream , could turn out a success. Nothing ventured nothing gained ....
respect SoSerTHC1

germinator

germinator

And how ya think shanti and neville think, what percentage of strain trademarks would be theirs?
So change is constant, even in the world of seed etiquette so I guess bring it...
Lets see what happens.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

And that is your choice and you decision but it does not mean others can't , alot of people have a good/ok job and are happy as a hobbyist grower but some like myself aspire to be a breeder and to make this my profession .. could be a pipe dream , could turn out a success. Nothing ventured nothing gained ....
respect SoSerTHC1
Correct as others find a living in it so I can understand your point. My main subject was the actual repetative combination of similar genetics that goes on in the business.

soserthc1

soserthc1

Correct as others find a living in it so I can understand your point. My main subject was the actual repetative combination of similar genetics that goes on in the business.
Well understood but ant good business man knows you need hype to sell and you need to find something special to create that hype , which is my goal ... as an example GSC f1 durban ok so everyone in the damn world - cannabis world that is knows F1 is not a strain but a finally generation of a seed , so tech to me the breeder- creator found something special that he had no idea what is was gdp- cherry pie - tk - whatever .... hype originally sells - the mystery of the unknown is the hype..... and that i will be searching for maybe i'll find it maybe i wont but i wont but rest assure i'll hunt till the day i die.......

kaRma SoSerIsm

germinator

germinator

Great point SODM....Would this also be an opportunity to reevaluate strain name protocol?
Cannabis credibility can use a bit of breeder etiquette here. Is the time right?

soserthc1

soserthc1

Bump .... curious as to a statement I heard at another board , that it would be proper to ask a breeder if he is done working a line before using a parent in his line , mine you a parent of a strain being sold , so I guess what the breeder is stating is in his humble opinion you should ask if he plans on crossing the said pack of a genetic released to the public in other projects in the future ?

Interesting Question to me ... my take is that the said breeder is a friend so I would honor his wishes thou i don't feel it applies to all or if it should apply at all ?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wait... what?

So, let's say a breeder is working with some Cinderella 99, but they didn't originate her (wasn't that Subcool's work..? I can't remember). Let's say that I want to make a cross using a C99 daddy, but another breeder is using a similar phenotype of C99 to be their momma daddy. Why should I ask them anything about what I'm going to do with my C99 momma baby daddy? Popular line that's been worked, and worked and worked.

On the flip side, let's say I'm gifted a cut of a male plant one friend of mine loves to use in his crosses. Almost no one has it, if anyone (I've never heard of anyone else using this cut). It does seem to me that the obvious answer(s) here would be that, 1) I clearly plan to breed since I have a cut of a male, and 2) I must give credit to the breeder/holder of said cut.

Or, am I misunderstanding what you're throwing out there completely?

soserthc1

soserthc1

Wait... what?

So, let's say a breeder is working with some Cinderella 99, but they didn't originate her (wasn't that Subcool's work..? I can't remember). Let's say that I want to make a cross using a C99 daddy, but another breeder is using a similar phenotype of C99 to be their momma daddy. Why should I ask them anything about what I'm going to do with my C99 momma baby daddy? Popular line that's been worked, and worked and worked.

On the flip side, let's say I'm gifted a cut of a male plant one friend of mine loves to use in his crosses. Almost no one has it, if anyone (I've never heard of anyone else using this cut). It does seem to me that the obvious answer(s) here would be that, 1) I clearly plan to breed since I have a cut of a male, and 2) I must give credit to the breeder/holder of said cut.

Or, am I misunderstanding what you're throwing out there completely?

here let me simplify it , said breeder bought genetic's from another breeder worked it into a cross of his released this cross for cash to the public and feels that proper editique should be to ask before you take his pack of purchased beans and make your own crosses to see if he is done working the line.....

1) So he released say blue * red and blue was bought - he crossed with red
2) you buy the blue/ red cross from him/her
3) feels as thou you should ask if he is going to continue the blue/red cross say with yellow before you make a cross

Do you think this is proper or once the line is released shouldn't he /she have worked there future crosses all ready before releasing if the case . Me personally say if you bought the beans there yours and if you make a cross that turns special more power to you....

Interested in opinions on this

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
IMO, unless you've signed a contract or made an agreement to discuss simply using the genetics they've 'created' in your own crosses, you should be able to do what you like. In my mind, I liken it to breeding horses, which my mother did when I was young and showing Arabs.

We bought a mare. We paid the stud fee, had her covered by that stud. We bring her home, she foals, that foal is 100% ours to do with as we please, including breeding it should it turn out to be a good breeding animal.

Now, I understand that in the show dog world it can be decidedly different, with breeders commonly requiring similar permission scenarios should you decide to breed with the animal you just paid for. But it doesn't make sense to me, because in my world you didn't RENT the dog, you BOUGHT it, and that makes it and its progeny YOURS.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
I believe it boils down to if you purchase the beans there yours to do as you please..release fem beans and you won't have at least males out there, ( which I know you can still breed with Females but of course you won't have the exact genetic's) and if you don't want breed with wait to release .. besides why would anyone recreate the same strain the breeder is crossing ? Individuality is where it's at...creating your own strain is what i am sure every breeder is striving for. ! As far as gifted beans that's a whole different story.....permission is a given.. Thanks for all the response and incredible thoughts ! As always the farm comes true .. Thanks Medusa

Top Bottom