PROPER ETIQUET 4 COLLECTING SEEDS

• Thread starter Medusa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Max Frost

Max Frost

IMO, it's an ownership question, and I think Sea's analogy of the horse is a good one! If I buy the beans, I have the right to do anything I want with them...including making crosses and selling them if I want to. IMO, quality is soon recognized for quality, and junk is soon recognized for junk. The free market does a pretty good job of sorting that out. I DO think it's good manners to give the breeder you got the genetics from a nod if you work with it, but I don't think you should be under any obligation for anything.

germinator

germinator

NO WAY! Super Silver Panty Dropper OG till the end!

Then don't be shocked when big pharma with their marketing machines legitimizes strain names and runs us over. They will test,map and rename then trademark YOUR work, and laugh all the way to the bank. Just sayin

soserthc1

soserthc1

I believe it boils down to if you purchase the beans there yours to do as you please..release fem beans and you won't have at least males out there, ( which I know you can still breed with Females but of course you won't have the exact genetic's) and if you don't want breed with wait to release .. besides why would anyone recreate the same strain the breeder is crossing ? Individuality is where it's at...creating your own strain is what i am sure every breeder is striving for. ! As far as gifted beans that's a whole different story.....permission is a given.. Thanks for all the response and incredible thoughts ! As always the farm comes true .. Thanks Medusa

Agreed but that is not the case the breeder is worrying about as the chances of actually crossing the same plant are little to none , He / she is stating that they believe they should be able in their mind to cross the line forward after release on the first set of beans and you should make sure they are finished crossing the line with other genetic's , when I feel the minute you release the line to the public's purchase then its fair game.

If this persons feeling were correct a great example would be say GSC now how many people have you seen take GSC and cross and cross , should they all be asking the GSC creator if that is ok .....

soserthc1

soserthc1

Then don't be shocked when big pharma with their marketing machines legitimizes strain names and runs us over. They will test,map and rename then trademark YOUR work, and laugh all the way to the bank. Just sayin

Interesting spin but i don't think big pharm will be that inventive and to be honest we are all operating illegally until its totally freed by the federal gov't and growers/breeders/ intelligent people will know the difference between big pharms strains and the breeders that are creating the strain and big pharm would never get as insane with names as the marijuana community , I believe the future of legal cannabis will fall somewhere around what is being done in say New Jersey - limited thc , limited strains available , higher dollars and difficult to qualify, anxiety aint gonna cut it... Just free the ENTIRE usa to be able to grow plants in there OWN home and we will work the rest out.....

Max Frost

Max Frost

It's not like any breeder anywhere ever INVENTED/CREATED the strains they work with! They all have to get them somewhere too to begin with. IMO...God is the only one entitled to claim actual "ownership" rights! Everybody else is stealing and rearranging HIS work! o_O

Just sayin'...

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Is there a convention or conference set up for breeders or seed company's ofcourse besides the cup stuff?
I know there some of those but I've been unlucky and didn't get to trade or really get much info even from freebies ....
Great thread

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Ya like a farmers market with all that beautiful fresh fruits mmmmmmm
I know it has had to be mentioned before I'm just dreaming out loud of open trading from clones to budding plants to uncured and cured buds and oils just no males :-D those must be dealt with in private.....

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
I have been thinking of opening up a dispensary...but unlike most it would acknowledge breeders of the strains NOT the disp name on it..thats a great thought on more trading between breeders perhaps incorporate that in there.. Grow On .Everyone.. Luv Medusa...

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Ya like a farmers market with all that beautiful fresh fruits mmmmmmm
I know it has had to be mentioned before I'm just dreaming out loud of open trading from clones to budding plants to uncured and cured buds and oils just no males :-D those must be dealt with in private.....
caveman I believe Tacoma Washington has a farmers market like that ... Now you have to go to visit Washington it's legal .. Next 2014 Oregon will then you can just drive up or down thru the states Stoned LOL.. ;)

G8tfulgrdens

G8tfulgrdens

caveman I believe Tacoma Washington has a farmers market like that ... Now you have to go to visit Washington it's legal .. Next 2014 Oregon will then you can just drive up or down thru the states Stoned LOL.. ;)

Just make sure you don't have more than 5 nanograms in your system or its DUI time. I wonder how many nanograms on average is in the typical farm members system..lol

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

[quote"germinator, post: 1119759, member: 21016"]Great point SODM....Would this also be an opportunity to reevaluate strain name protocol?
Cannabis credibility can use a bit of breeder etiquette here. Is the time right?[/quote]
Sorry Im late but this is a area I get all "smh" at. Imo a strain should be named on its qualities, flavors, anything just not a clusterfuck of the p1's names cause its stupid to name something purple if it ain't, a cookie(for eg.) cause of its p1 but it lost the cookie aspect. Grow it smoke it name it but in that order and the product will tell you what it is, not the other way around.

soserthc1

soserthc1

It's not like any breeder anywhere ever INVENTED/CREATED the strains they work with! They all have to get them somewhere too to begin with. IMO...God is the only one entitled to claim actual "ownership" rights! Everybody else is stealing and rearranging HIS work! o_O

Just sayin'...
you can say this with anything in the world as God (if your religious ) created everything - imho nothing wrong with strain names just as long as its been worked and is something new and you took the parent's from solid genetic's - its part of the fun - the problem comes imho when there is no parents known or someone labels it mystery genetic - personally i hate the mystery genetic all together - once its released say what it is ... ie f1 / durban

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

you can say this with anything in the world as God (if your religious ) created everything - imho nothing wrong with strain names just as long as its been worked and is something new and you took the parent's from solid genetic's - its part of the fun - the problem comes imho when there is no parents known or someone labels it mystery genetic - personally i hate the mystery genetic all together - once its released say what it is ... ie f1 / durban
I get were your coming from and the intent is admirable, the thing is though it's all cluster fucked unless your a degree away from the breeder and even then it's a crap shoot....I mean look at all the phenos and f1' and shit some farmers try to minimize hermaphrodism. ... I'm uh say it one more time if that plant has male sex organs and is jizzing everywhere on any bud of any branch that plant is a he she period ....................

homebrew420

homebrew420

I get what you guys are saying about the naming thing. However, The breeder gets naming rights. Look into ANY other plant variety and the names they are given. Keep in mind a catchy name can do wonders for interest. When it contains the name of a legendary parent that draws attention. That what most seed breeders want. Its needed to sell anything. I make it easy for folks on many of the named hybrids with a combination of
parental names. Most folks that are buying seeds at our shop are not familiar with much of the genetics in terms of growing. Make it easy...at first. Take it easy guys.

Peace

homebrew420

homebrew420

And on the idea of unknow parent, as long as the seeds have been thoroughly tested it best well be stated. I feel that most importantly is honesty. We as consumers should be informed if therd are issues of low vigor, mutations, loose flowers, intersex traits, all of it. Breeders can only give that info if they know, and want to. Should be stated otherwise.

Peace

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I have been thinking of opening up a dispensary...but unlike most it would acknowledge breeders of the strains NOT the disp name on it..thats a great thought on more trading between breeders perhaps incorporate that in there.. Grow On .Everyone.. Luv Medusa...
I want to work as a Budtender for you!:)

Top Bottom