Purple Striped Stems...

• Thread starter jlr42024
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MGRox

MGRox

Where did @wobbly goblin 's post and like go? Odd.

wow no disrespect but to be honest i didn't bother to read threw all that mostly because I'm way too stoned to put forth the effort and also because this pic is from this summer so no cold weather or etc. to influence just genetics imo at least.
View attachment 464917
that's a piece of the main stalk towards the top of the plant and a side branch both expressing purple stripes. i just grabbed a branch I'm sure i could find one even more pronounced but it's plain to see.

I'm sorry I should have made a shorter version for those too impaired for reading. To me I prefer documented research as opposed to anectodal perceptions; however some research DID show that it can be genetic.

I should have shortened the post to this:
"In many species, anthocyanins are produced only when the plant is unhealthy or has been exposed to environmental stress, but there are some that develop the red pigments even under optimal growth environments."
"Irrespective of their cellular location, however, anthocyanin biosynthesis in many leaves is generally upregulated in response to one or more environmental stressors. These include: strong light, UV-B radiation, temperature extremes, drought, ozone, nitrogen and phosphorus deficiencies, bacterial and fungal infections, wounding, herbivory, herbicides and various pollutants. Because of their association with such biotic and abiotic stressors, anthocyanins are usually considered to be a stress symptom and / or part of a mechanism to mitigate the effects of stress."

if that's not too long there; you can see that an anthocyanic response can happen from both a genetic mutation, or from any number of internal and external factors; which "rarely" can occur naturally. I've found more information, but don't suppose it matters really nor that anyone would care.

I see your picture of "what you believe to be" genetic Anthocyanic coloration and match you with a pic that is for sure related to availability and not genetics. Plant was grown indoors so there was no cold either.

Purples 1

@MGRox -- I find it fascinating that your friend has only ever experienced one plant purpling due to cold, I see it every year. And again, the color changes (not just purpling, but also features like pink pistils) that only appear where the plant is being hit directly by sunlight.

:)

Nope he never saw any coloration except the one. Which he still talked about somewhat excited; though he did comment if had ever found another, he wouldn't have even let it bloom. Again, though here, he was doing Filial crosses each year. If the plant didn't have that characteristic to start, then all of the 400 he did would have been related to how "common" this "genetic mutation" is; as opposed to how common it is relative to different strains. That to me would be a key difference with your situation. I myself have even grown outdoors a couple times in years past and never saw it either; though again was one type and only a couple total numbers.

To me really; the "take away" with what has been posted is that; All colorations are going to be from Anthocyanins. They exist everywhere inside of every plant. In order for any color to occur an "upregulation" and biosynthesis MUST occur to cause coloration to be apparent in these (normally clear) flavonoids. This would be true whether or not it is a normal expression for that particular plant. As well, the mode of action by which coloration results would be the same metabolic process; irrespective of deficiency, stressor or a mutant expression.

Often times i forget some of what I learned from having a fish store. Of all the customers that came in throughout the years; there was only 1 person whom actually wanted to "know why". Most people just want an answer and don't care as to why something happens. Well at the end of the store, only that one lone customer (whom had the initiative and desire to know) actually knew more. Most of the customers couldn't solve their way out of any tank issue. However that one customer knew enough to diagnose but also could even talk about he chemistry related to the issue.
That person was very simple and had a job picking up trash for the city. Probably the least "well off" person that came into our store, knew more than college students. To me it was very fulfilling to see that he learned so much and at the same time so depressing that most humans didn't care.

Sorry to have posted here. As I said before I did not intend to cause problems and information can often do just that. I won't let this happen again, so no worries there.

jlr42024

jlr42024

I've read your post and it's still referring to everything but what I'm talking about. just because i didn't bother reading it at a specific moment doesn't mean I'm reading impaired or any of your other passive aggressive comments, again thank you for your positivity and obvious correct diagnosis given all your personal expierence on the subject.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

View attachment 464425
i meant more like this on the main stem, it will get solid purple depending on strain.

i get this whenever my roots are cold, or too wet(not enough oxygen)...sometimes i tend to water too quick and/or too often becuase im not paying attention...let your buckets dry out very well before you decide to water next, and before you even water, you should see new green vibrant growth as the bucket gets more dry...

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

IME.....purple striped stems means you have bad roots(not nice and white)...get your roots nice, it will play a part in your final harvest and how well your plants thrive

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

I find this in-lighting its always a good thing to have as much information as you can for a greater understanding in what you yourself find a passion for. IME I have seen the same plant 4 cutting (Clones) all hold the same deep burgundy hue. and I have a few other plants that were deficient in nutes that expressed a color change but were different.

yeti f3
10 22 14 UpD 1

anf this one showed purple then went back to green
10 15 2014Update 1

lulu after upping the nutes a bit
11 25 2014Update 1

So in this I see you can have both occur but if you look where the colors seem to matriculate you can see that the location differs greatly. Just my 2 cent observations.
Mass respect to you for your great insights. great work @MGRox
FlyJ

jlr42024

jlr42024

again i was asking if anybody has found this to be present amongst what they consider they're keeper phenos not a bunch of info I've read and heard a million times then be criticized for not wanting to hear it again when it has nothing to do with what this thread was supposed to be about. We all know this info we've read cannabis growing 101, I was merely asking if this expression happens to be present on they're favorite girls. I don't know how to put it any simpler when the question was meant to be extremely simple from the get go.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

again i was asking if anybody has found this to be present amongst what they consider they're keeper phenos not a bunch of info I've read and heard a million times then be criticized for not wanting to hear it again when it has nothing to do with what this thread was supposed to be about. We all know this info we've read cannabis growing 101, I was merely asking if this expression happens to be present on they're favorite girls. I don't know how to put it any simpler when the question was meant to be extremely simple from the get go.

lol the answer to your question is NO... seeing a deficiency in a plant due to poor/bad maintenance does not make it a prize keeper.....in fact, if other plants are doing fine and this one is showing this...its dead because its weak and cant keep up with the rest and gets replaced

if your looking for a keeper, vigor, smells, and structure are the 3 main factors to look for....after you got those down, you can get into the finer detail of traits you desire

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Joe, I'm sorry but I really disagree with you on the striping. My experience with purple striping has shown that it tends to show on those girls that are going to purple up (buds). My experience with purple/reddened petioles is that is usually a deficiency or utilization/uptake issue. But actual striping on the trunk tends to be nothing more than a phenotypical expression in my experience.

For the first time this year, I grew out a girl whose entire trunk was BURGUNDY. It was striking, extremely unusual, and in my opinion very attractive. BoG LSD. I'll attach a couple of pix if I can find good ones. She's gonna be ready to sample soon, got close to a month cure on her now. :)
Yes. I thought I had answered that question.

I hope you'll be able to see the coloration of the mains on this LSD girl, she really put on some good weight for me with very little effort on my part.

Here she is early in the season still, just packing on buds and beginning to get yellowed fans (due to heat).
437574-53988097ee8a1fdefd1ecdbb04ce2ada.jpg

Here she is very early on, I took some close-ups since I'd never seen this before.
437576-e5c25670841119eb9fda2420e1250658.jpg

IMAG1427
IMAG0841
IMAG0992
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Joe, I'm sorry but I really disagree with you on the striping. My experience with purple striping has shown that it tends to show on those girls that are going to purple up (buds). My experience with purple/reddened petioles is that is usually a deficiency or utilization/uptake issue. But actual striping on the trunk tends to be nothing more than a phenotypical expression in my experience.

For the first time this year, I grew out a girl whose entire trunk was BURGUNDY. It was striking, extremely unusual, and in my opinion very attractive. BoG LSD. I'll attach a couple of pix if I can find good ones. She's gonna be ready to sample soon, got close to a month cure on her now. :)

Yes. I thought I had answered that question.

I hope you'll be able to see the coloration of the mains on this LSD girl, she really put on some good weight for me with very little effort on my part.

Here she is early in the season still, just packing on buds and beginning to get yellowed fans (due to heat).
437574-53988097ee8a1fdefd1ecdbb04ce2ada.jpg

Here she is very early on, I took some close-ups since I'd never seen this before.
437576-e5c25670841119eb9fda2420e1250658.jpg

well i respectfully disagree with you sea, lol....ive grown out many strains, and if i was beside you i would prove it to you that the purple striping comes from root issues(usually cold, or soggy roots, or bad watering habits)......i can take a perfectly healthy plant, a week later will have the purple stripes....then give me 2 weeks and ill have it back to normal....im 110% sure of this...when i first had this problem about 6 years ago, i searched and searched the web with no results, not for cannabis nor for any other plants through university papers....so i started doing my own experiments...to finally solve my problem... just as some strains prefer a certain ph level, or a certain ec level....some strains prefer a dryer, or wetter soil...having a soil that robs the roots of oxygen will surely show these purple stripes...

btw im not talking about purple petioles which can be strain specific...im talking specificly about the purple stripes along the mains stems...

when your so used to growing a certain way and preparing your media in a certain way, then try a new strain, that does not like your (soil, environment...ect) then you will see it show weird traits you have not seen before....

personally, im not growing for pretty, im growing for potency, flavor, and yield...and the plants structure plays a huge role in yield

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Purple striped stems...its an expression of strains that have a tendency to purple out in late flower with cooler temps (but its not a guarantee it will be purple, ironically all my true purple strains are completely green in veg). Striping shows in veg if your night temps dip into the 60s and your water pH sits between 6.0-6.4, below 6.0 it starts to fade and above 6.4 the plants don't like it and stems get woody. Higher temps at night and the stems will stay green and the plant bushes a little more. I don't think its a bad thing at all, just the plants reaction to slightly cooler temps in the proper pH range.

jlr42024

jlr42024

Does the purpling differ--
between indoor and out???
never grown outside i live in the pnw lol.
I'm opened minded to people's ideas its when those people aren't so open minded and try to impose there ideas upon me when i stop listening.
@Seamaiden thank you and i apologize for not acknowledging you sooner i was distracted with the flood of useless info being posted. it was such a simple question i was taken back you were the only one to get it.

jlr42024

jlr42024

Purple striped stems...its an expression of strains that have a tendency to purple out in late flower with cooler temps (but its not a guarantee it will be purple, ironically all my true purple strains are completely green in veg). Striping shows in veg if your night temps dip into the 60s and your water pH sits between 6.0-6.4, below 6.0 it starts to fade and above 6.4 the plants don't like it and stems get woody. Higher temps at night and the stems will stay green and the plant bushes a little more. I don't think its a bad thing at all, just the plants reaction to slightly cooler temps in the proper pH range.
actually this happens even with my special ladies that are raised in my bedroom until transplant into 10gal while on a 24hr light cycle with obviously no nighttime temp dip.
ph that i couldn't tell you I'm organic and haven't checked my ph since my first run.

jlr42024

jlr42024

lol the answer to your question is NO... seeing a deficiency in a plant due to poor/bad maintenance does not make it a prize keeper.....in fact, if other plants are doing fine and this one is showing this...its dead because its weak and cant keep up with the rest and gets replaced

if your looking for a keeper, vigor, smells, and structure are the 3 main factors to look for....after you got those down, you can get into the finer detail of traits you desire
again this is something i happened to notice after choosing said keeper phenos. i noticed all the best plants i had express this trait.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Does the purpling differ--
between indoor and out???
In my experience, absolutely it does, yes. So does exposure to sunlight. Not always. I see it, again, as being strain-dependent, based on my observations.
well i respectfully disagree with you sea, lol....ive grown out many strains, and if i was beside you i would prove it to you that the purple striping comes from root issues(usually cold, or soggy roots, or bad watering habits)......i can take a perfectly healthy plant, a week later will have the purple stripes....then give me 2 weeks and ill have it back to normal....im 110% sure of this...when i first had this problem about 6 years ago, i searched and searched the web with no results, not for cannabis nor for any other plants through university papers....so i started doing my own experiments...to finally solve my problem... just as some strains prefer a certain ph level, or a certain ec level....some strains prefer a dryer, or wetter soil...having a soil that robs the roots of oxygen will surely show these purple stripes...

btw im not talking about purple petioles which can be strain specific...im talking specificly about the purple stripes along the mains stems...

when your so used to growing a certain way and preparing your media in a certain way, then try a new strain, that does not like your (soil, environment...ect) then you will see it show weird traits you have not seen before....

personally, im not growing for pretty, im growing for potency, flavor, and yield...and the plants structure plays a huge role in yield
I hear you, but my experience is different, especially since I can take the same strain and compare its indoor growth and habits to outdoor. EG, purple petioles are not strain dependent in my experience, they're husbandry dependent (environmental parameters including all you mention here).

I believe that if you were able to observe what I observe down here (IIRC you're up in the Great White North) you'd shift your view. Because I really doubt that overnight temps in the 70s and daytime temps in the 90s are, in any way, shape or form, too cold.

Since we're on well water I'm fairly frugal with my use (remember, I'm in California and we're still considered to be in an emergency drought situation). I was able to reduce total water usage for a particular bed this year, DRASTICALLY, that gives outdoor cannabis cultivation a whole new flavor in the scope of drought. The example I'll use here is the watering paradigm all other OD growers I know live with, which is to account for 6-10 gallons per plant per day. I was using a total of 16 gallons per day for a dozen plants, and I used some hugelkulture and organic cultivation tricks in the experiment. It's worked so well that I will probably be getting rid of all Smart Pots and going raised beds solely, just for the water use alone. A nice little side benefit is that my experience with raised beds vs SPs is that plants in beds get much, much bigger. So, I seriously doubt my purple stripers were overwatered.

I'm not growing for pretty (or ashes!), either. I've been told by a couple of breeders and more than a few growers that the more vigorous plants tend to be the ones with less hit in the head, so I've tended not to look at vigor in the same way other crop producers might.

Did that sentence make sense? :eek:
never grown outside i live in the pnw lol.
I'm opened minded to people's ideas its when those people aren't so open minded and try to impose there ideas upon me when i stop listening.
@Seamaiden thank you and i apologize for not acknowledging you sooner i was distracted with the flood of useless info being posted. it was such a simple question i was taken back you were the only one to get it.
Ain't no thang. :) Obviously, considering the vast difference of opinion and experience *just* between Joe Fresh and myself, there's going to be some debate. As long as it's friendly it's all good and hopefully educational, too, yeah?

jlr42024

jlr42024

after considering the ph thing a bit more there might be something to that being how growing organically our ph fluctuates tremendously compared to hydro. I'm curious to see if our hydro guys are finding this expression and might be the reason they never have given the perfect ph in hydro

sixstring

sixstring

i have a keeper that does it in any media i use dirt or water.been in my garden for almost as long as my masterkush so close to 5 years,i think i know by now what she likes lol.some strains just do it,i made a cross with this plant and some of the seeds had it more,like totally red stems,others were green and some were stripped like the mother.as seamaiden said this is a purple budded plant that does it here.sometimes its genetics and sometimes its poorly grown imo

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

again this is something i happened to notice after choosing said keeper phenos. i noticed all the best plants i had express this trait.

im just curious....as how you could have chosen "keeper pheno's" if you have not flowered them out to see the different phenotypes? i ask this because i always choose my momma's after i see what the finnished product looks like..i mean i have popped thousands and thousands of seeds, and i find that finished product can vary widely from one plant to the other even if the plants vegged out the samt, even if they start to flower and still look the same...does not mean the end products will be the same...

oh and i never found those ph testers any good....i bought 3 over the years thinking it was just my bad luck i bought a broken one....but all 3 read about 7ph when dipped in ph4 calibration solution.....they flickered when first dipped in but went straight back to 7...just a heads up on those cheap ph meters....imo ph strips are much better if your not willing to invest in a real meter

Top Bottom