Purple Striped Stems...

• Thread starter jlr42024
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

after considering the ph thing a bit more there might be something to that being how growing organically our ph fluctuates tremendously compared to hydro. I'm curious to see if our hydro guys are finding this expression and might be the reason they never have given the perfect ph in hydro
just to correct your statement...ph fluctuates MUCH less in soil than in hydro...especially organic soils...there is no reason fo an organic soil to drasticly fluctuate in ph other than if your over watering like crazy creating pathogens that can alter ph in soil

jlr42024

jlr42024

im just curious....as how you could have chosen "keeper pheno's" if you have not flowered them out to see the different phenotypes? i ask this because i always choose my momma's after i see what the finnished product looks like..i mean i have popped thousands and thousands of seeds, and i find that finished product can vary widely from one plant to the other even if the plants vegged out the samt, even if they start to flower and still look the same...does not mean the end products will be the same...

oh and i never found those ph testers any good....i bought 3 over the years thinking it was just my bad luck i bought a broken one....but all 3 read about 7ph when dipped in ph4 calibration solution.....they flickered when first dipped in but went straight back to 7...just a heads up on those cheap ph meters....imo ph strips are much better if your not willing to invest in a real meter
Don't have any clue why you'd think I'd choose my keepers while in veg? not even gonna get into ph tester debate and if you knew much about organics you'd know ph fluctuates as the soil breaks down the nutes and each become available at different times.
Agree To Disagree Please This Dissecting Of Everything Being Said To Try And Someway Impose Your Opinion On This Thread Is Becoming Tiresome.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
im just curious....as how you could have chosen "keeper pheno's" if you have not flowered them out to see the different phenotypes? i ask this because i always choose my momma's after i see what the finnished product looks like..i mean i have popped thousands and thousands of seeds, and i find that finished product can vary widely from one plant to the other even if the plants vegged out the samt, even if they start to flower and still look the same...does not mean the end products will be the same...

oh and i never found those ph testers any good....i bought 3 over the years thinking it was just my bad luck i bought a broken one....but all 3 read about 7ph when dipped in ph4 calibration solution.....they flickered when first dipped in but went straight back to 7...just a heads up on those cheap ph meters....imo ph strips are much better if your not willing to invest in a real meter
I do the same thing, gotta have an idea of what the product is going to be, otherwise I'm up to my eyeballs in clones.

I thought you can't ever get a reading from those soil probe pH testers if you use liquid. I never got good readings from the cheapie ones I've used, but doing a slurry test using an aquarium kit works fairly ok. The slurry has to be really weak to see the color change, though.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I think Sea maiden is right, the genotype that contains alot of Anthocyanins will have striped or colored stems, however it isn't necessarily that the plant purples up near the end of it's life so much as it is the result of diminished chlorophyll content that allows the Anthocyanins to appear.

Cannabis will produce Anthocyanins, as a defense, in the cold, in response to UV-B when growing outside.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

MGRox, no disrespect but I have to say it, you are copying and pasting a lot of your posts "taking the out of context" and generalizing info from other sources. In one of your posts you mention a hardware store LED to purple up a branch, this is silly. LED's are manufactured to specific wavelengths of light measured in NM. The LED lights meant for human visual spectrum contain very little to zero UV-B. LED diodes in the UV spectrum must intentionally added to the array in order to achieve that spectrum.

My advice for the sake of the other readers on this forum is to cut your copy and pasted texts, and insert links should we choose to read all the Wikipedia texts.

Also please do not comment on subjects that you are unsure of, this will cut down on misinformation spread to the new people.

Thank you and no disrespect

MGRox

MGRox

well I had not intended on replying here any further as I've stated that I did not intend to cause problems. I in no way was trying to provide a diagnosis nor did I feel I had. My first 2 posts in this thread was related to what I'd seemed to find in my own situations; whereas the 3rd post was after I went ahead and tried to narrow things down some. I "assumed" that the information provided was to just help understand what's going on and maybe get a direction to find an answer. I was very shocked that @jlr42024 perceived this to be, in any way; a diagnosis.

I did not intend to "Cram" information or "force" information on any of you.

@Canalchemist I was also surprised that using "reference links to published documentation" was a negative. I don't like to just state something if it can / should be referenced so that it can be known where the information came from. Could you please elaborate how it is improper to do this as I do not understand why. Also, could you please expound on what you meant by "out of context" as I thought these were pretty "on par" quotes.

Now as to the LED thing. Nope that is not silly. Yep the Utilitech 10K LED daylight 9w bulbs from Lowe's WILL cause this purple if it's placed facing the stems. The ONLY,.....ONLY reason I brought that up is because I use those for supplementary light with my males (being used for pollen). This occurs everytime and results in a more solid purple rather than stripes....and again; only where the light hits the stem. I am fully aware of the spectral output of leds and the photosynthetic action spectrum of plants. I was in no way attempting to relate this as a result of UV-B and also was stated before I'd even read it possible for UV-B to cause a response.

I'm very sorry again if i caused problems and if putting links to sources is bad / wrong. I only was intending to bring forth that since it's a pigment and that pigment is contained in an aqueous cavity; that internal changes to this pH would be (in the end) what causes the change.

As to anthocyanins in plants. Actually they have found great medical benefits from this in recent years and Massive study is going into increasing Anthocyanins and extraction for medical use. Believe it or not, they still don't know exactly what causes this and how to increase it without genetic modification. However, I feel it may be a bit longer before scientists can nail down what is going on. Although, it will be different for various species. If anyone wants to research into pH alterations in the cytosol that can affect anthocyanin response; you will find there's only a small group of things ,interally, that can do this.

Just as an aside; heres a small article on purple corn (lots of researching being done here). They state although it's not understood fully; they believe that cool nights and high light are causing a buildup of sugars that, in turn, cause an anthocyanic response. Sucrose is one of the few components that are able to alter anthocyanin's color.
reference

Again I just want to clarify my intent and that I wasn't forcing information. I did not have enough interest in this to fully research as a result of my own specimens. I had only got enough motivation to help since the post was made. I like to learn things and convey that information but am not the type to "think I know it all" nor that I ever will. I do not ever intend to lord things over people and I'm sorry if the information was taken that way.

I will not post in this thread again as I feel I'm just imposing somewhere I'm not wanted. I will try to not put reference links in any further posts that I may do on this forum; though I feel it may be best for me to just stick to "likes" and not speak. I grew up in a situation where I'm not supposed to speak unless spoken to, so I can do that.

Sorry....

jlr42024

jlr42024

i knew my post wouldn't stay up and to Logic, all the mods and anybody in the community who read my earlier posts i apologize for allowing his negativity and insults get to me and influence my response.

jlr42024

jlr42024

any further replys will fall upon deaf ears as I've found the farmers ice should have asked in the first place and actually understand the simplicity of the question and who don't find the need to try an bestow there so called knowledge upon us, again we've all read cannabis growing 101!

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

again i was asking if anybody has found this to be present amongst what they consider they're keeper phenos not a bunch of info I've read and heard a million times then be criticized for not wanting to hear it again when it has nothing to do with what this thread was supposed to be about. We all know this info we've read cannabis growing 101, I was merely asking if this expression happens to be present on they're favorite girls. I don't know how to put it any simpler when the question was meant to be extremely simple from the get go.

Yep. I have a few cuts that tend to get purple stems no matter what I do. My favorite White Fire does it. I went through 3 keepers and ran them over and over again until I settled on keeping just one. The other two pheno's did not get purple stems I might add. Also a cut of Skywalker OG I was gifted a few years back does it. My ph isn't out of range.....and my roots are healthy white. Some plants just do this.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Ye p some geno's just produce lots of Pigments through there entire life cycle others just produce more during stress. Pretty safe to say there will be more purple strains in the near future as breeders and pollen chuckers make there selections in favour of it.

jlr42024

jlr42024

Ye p some geno's just produce lots of Pigments through there entire life cycle others just produce more during stress. Pretty safe to say there will be more purple strains in the near future as breeders and pollen chuckers make there selections in favour of it.
kinda interesting if in fact that becomes the case

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Ya I am just gambling on the common thought that purple is popular backed up by the health benefits of anthocyanins if ingested, as small as that might be every little bit helps I guess.

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

Ya I am just gambling on the common thought that purple is popular backed up by the health benefits of anthocyanins if ingested, as small as that might be every little bit helps I guess.
I wanna come to Amsterdam and eat some purple truffles man!

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

LMAO! Find a nice spot in a park or pehaps something else more lively and you may have an interesting time on your hands. ;)

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Why deaf ears? I mean this person shares useful info, but you don't want to read it?

@MGRox , maybe I missed some deleted posts, but there's no reason to shut up or leave. Lots of other threads here where your learning approach will be appreciated. I've always wondered about lack of purpling on the shaded side of petioles, etc and it's something I never looked up. Anthocyanins are a fascinating subject.

Last edited:
TIMDAWG4

TIMDAWG4

View attachment 464425
i meant more like this on the main stem, it will get solid purple depending on strain.
I grow og strains for a living from my experience purple stripes are a sign of stress due to nutrient lockouts from improper ph of water or too many ppms in your nutrient solution, but many strain I work with that are not og, show stripes of purple but are not suffering from stress, so from my observations I would say some striping is genetic and or signs of stress and lockout

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Or.... could be stress mixed with just an overwhelming need to go on vacation, or just get away from it all. You know the rat race.

Top Bottom