Quality vs Quantity... Small Setup

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Great, thanks guys! @growsince79 I like the sandwich baggy idea.
I like the sandwich bag idea too because you can tent it up a bit and allow the seedling some grow time before beginning to wean it from the high humidity environment.

growsince79

growsince79

I like the sandwich bag idea too because you can tent it up a bit and allow the seedling some grow time before beginning to wean it from the high humidity environment.
I take the tent off as soon as the seedling is standing straight on day one. By then the root is deep enough it won't dry up and the tent isn't needed. If you don't it will stretch too much.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Thoughts on exhaust placement? Smack dab in the middle of the tent. It only leaves 53” from bottom of filter to the risers the pots will be on. The intake is bottom right front. Light is a spider farmer bar style LED.

0163EE9B F74F 4AEF B487 5FEEFD48CEF3

C8EFA16D DD09 45B4 BFF8 AAA88A43856C

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Carbon Filter Placement

If you want all the vertical space your tent has to offer, consider placing your carbon filter OUTSIDE your tent like this. It's worked like a charm for me.

growsince79

growsince79

If you're talking to me, yes. It's outside the tent. Plants were watered today and RH is at 47%.
I bought one to use for emergencies. Damn thing uses more power than my lights. Venting outside saves $$$. Do you use the water from it?

Dothraki

Dothraki

View attachment 1184578

If you want all the vertical space your tent has to offer, consider placing your carbon filter OUTSIDE your tent like this. It's worked like a charm for me.
Nice! I actually thought about doing that but thought the vacuum of the filter would create less of a wind tunnel and help distribute the exhaust flow more broadly if inside the tent. I’m not sure if that’s true...or relevant...but seemed to make sense to me. Are there any downsides to having them outside?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I bought one to use for emergencies. Damn thing uses more power than my lights. Venting outside saves $$$. Do you use the water from it?
Yes, I use the condensate water and add my carbon filtered city water to make up the difference. I have my dehumidifier on cycle mode, but during the rather wet July we had, it drove my electric usage through the roof.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Nice! I actually thought about doing that but thought the vacuum of the filter would create less of a wind tunnel and help distribute the exhaust flow more broadly if inside the tent. I’m not sure if that’s true...or relevant...but seemed to make sense to me. Are there any downsides to having them outside?
I'm sure if you have too many sharp turns it will restrict the air flow regardless of how you run it. Pulling air through the filter might be slightly better ... but not better enough to me to justify giving up vertical space. My tent size is a 5 x 5 and the exhaust is 8" carbon filter setup. I run the filter 24/7 but the tent is open during the lights on period every day. We only close it at night right before lights out. My wife is actively involved in the grows and that helps a lot.

Dothraki

Dothraki

I'm sure if you have too many sharp turns it will restrict the air flow regardless of how you run it. Pulling air through the filter might be slightly better ... but not better enough to me to justify giving up vertical space. My tent size is a 5 x 5 and the exhaust is 8" carbon filter setup. I run the filter 24/7 but the tent is open during the lights on period every day. We only close it at night right before lights out. My wife is actively involved in the grows and that helps a lot.
Yeah even the 6” was huge, way bigger than I expected. The 8” must be GIGANTIC! I ordered a Dust Shroom for the intake since having the flaps open would let in light...so I plan to use duct hose and the 6” dust shroom for intake, but light gets through the shroom so I’m unsure if that’ll work.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yeah even the 6” was huge, way bigger than I expected. The 8” must be GIGANTIC! I ordered a Dust Shroom for the intake since having the flaps open would let in light...so I plan to use duct hose and the 6” dust shroom for intake, but light gets through the shroom so I’m unsure if that’ll work.
Place a short piece of the 6" ductwork in your intake and face it down towards the floor. That should trap the light while still allowing air flow.

My plants are in an area where once the lights are out, there's no light anyway. I use the tent as a safety measure because I've left the over head light on before. If the tent is shut right before lights out like we always do, an accidental light left on doesn't hurt the grow.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Place a short piece of the 6" ductwork in your intake and face it down towards the floor. That should trap the light while still allowing air flow.

My plants are in an area where once the lights are out, there's no light anyway. I use the tent as a safety measure because I've left the over head light on before. If the tent is shut right before lights out like we always do, an accidental light left on doesn't hurt the grow.
I have fluorescence in the basement that would be on for portions of the dark periods. Should I build a box for the shroom and run a few feet of the hose to the shroom in the box? Or is light leak from fluorescence not a big worry? I’m also trying to figure out how environment control is going to work. So let’s say I want it 78* daytime, 71* night both around 60-70% H during veg. I have a radiator outside the tent in proximity to the intake shroom, and a 6” exhaust with temp/humidity control. If I set the radiator to 70f it would send warm air through the intake (about a foot away) and probably drop humidity too...but at night I wouldn’t want the tent at 78 but if I turn off the radiator at night it might get too cold. I’m just imagining a setup with 2 radiators, 2 air conditioners, dehumidifier, humidifier all on timers and always adjusting for each other lol.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

If you need heat, you can use one of these:

Plug your heater into the heat outlet and your ventilation into the cool outlet. You can really dial in the environment with these. I haven't been using them lately though as since I re-ran the heat duct, I no longer have a cold basement issue during the winter months.

Dothraki

Dothraki

If you need heat, you can use one of these:

Plug your heater into the heat outlet and your ventilation into the cool outlet. You can really dial in the environment with these. I haven't been using them lately though as since I re-ran the heat duct, I no longer have a cold basement issue during the winter months.
If I saw that before the exhaust controller I wouldve bought it. That’s a great solution. still might grab one and find a place for it.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Jesus! 4lbs/year... looks like I’ll be giving away Christmas wreaths next year lol.
1Lb from a quality light on a 4 x 4 footprint going 12 weeks in flower at 4 harvests per year. Sounds like BS until you get a little experience and some decent equipment then it becomes the standard.

F

frogyrogy

View attachment 1184578

Guess this makes your pre-filter a post-filter . . . I've seen this several times and it works fine. However it is not the most efficient use of your equipment . . . you can remove that pre-filter, its just restricting air flow and the larger particles it is designed to "pre"-filter are now embedded in your carbon filter.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Guess this makes your pre-filter a post-filter . . . I've seen this several times and it works fine. However it is not the most efficient use of your equipment . . . you can remove that pre-filter, its just restricting air flow and the larger particles it is designed to "pre"-filter are now embedded in your carbon filter.
It's still filtering the exhaust. However, to be completely honest with you, I don't worry about the smell. My grow is 100% legal and "dank" is one of my favorite smells.

Top Bottom