Quality vs Quantity... Small Setup

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PizzaBob

PizzaBob

I see what you mean, and there are pros and cons to either side. But if I went to a bigger tent size it wouldn’t be much bigger. I would only do it so I can grow multiple strains. I like certain strains for certain characteristics of the type of high they produce. So depending on the day, time, weather, what I plan to do that day etc. I’ll pick the right strain for it. So the Max I’d want to grow at once would be maybe 4 plants, then use the 3x3 strictly for drying. But that’s only if I can find clones worth growing. I’m a little iffy about the whole seed thing. Seems like a craps shoot. If I can’t grow something that is as good as the best I can buy...I’ll still be buying it, but would probably still grow lol.

Yeah i‘m a little worried about mold and pests in my dirty dusty basement.
If you are putting this in a basement why wouldn’t you just get a 5x5? The cost difference is like 25-75 bucks. You don’t need to get a bigger light nor grow more weed. Take heed of others who implored you to give them space - airflow - less heat. You can keep the same footprint inside and have a foot around the perimeter for working.

boatbum850

boatbum850

Primary is being able to control enviroment of your grow space . Tighter you can maintain temp / RH spreads , especially in bloom better your results . Some planning ahead of time will keep you from nasty surprises . Where I live is semi-tropical with higher temps & killer humidity , not to mention every kind of bug / pest known . So keeping indoor garden & outdoor stuff seperate is mandatory . Including showering & wearing fresh clothing before entering grow space . Figure out what you might have to do to improve HVAC & / or electrical . Because of temps LED for me , but if you have to heat your space the old tried & true will help . Either way figure a dedicated circuit or 2 . Do it right as house fires aint fun , bring unwanted attention & if work wasn't done correctly insurance will tell ya pound sand .

Dothraki

Dothraki

If you are putting this in a basement why wouldn’t you just get a 5x5? The cost difference is like 25-75 bucks. You don’t need to get a bigger light nor grow more weed. Take heed of others who implored you to give them space - airflow - less heat. You can keep the same footprint inside and have a foot around the perimeter for working.
5x5 wouldn’t fit in the area I wanted to place it. The extra space would be nice I‘m sure.

Primary is being able to control enviroment of your grow space . Tighter you can maintain temp / RH spreads , especially in bloom better your results . Some planning ahead of time will keep you from nasty surprises . Where I live is semi-tropical with higher temps & killer humidity , not to mention every kind of bug / pest known . So keeping indoor garden & outdoor stuff seperate is mandatory . Including showering & wearing fresh clothing before entering grow space . Figure out what you might have to do to improve HVAC & / or electrical . Because of temps LED for me , but if you have to heat your space the old tried & true will help . Either way figure a dedicated circuit or 2 . Do it right as house fires aint fun , bring unwanted attention & if work wasn't done correctly insurance will tell ya pound sand .
Thanks for the tips! I just picked up an oil radiator for either inside the area with the tent or might stick it inside the tent (depending on which ends up working better, and if there’s space). I went with LED so I could adjust temps a bit easier and more precise, especially in summer. I’m thinking I’ll need a humidifier too, at least for winter grows.

Dothraki

Dothraki

The 4000 would give you around 45w/sq which I think is somewhere around max potential for many strains in bloom. I’d always prefer more powerful equipment and dial it back as needed. Either way, you can’t go wrong @SpiderFarmerLED makes a great product. Just assembled my new se3000 yesterday👍
Hey I see that you have a similar heater to the one I just bought...I’m trying to figure out if I should put it inside the tent or outside near the intake filter. The area the tent is in is around 8’x18’x8’ but there’s no door to the rest of the basement. It’d be a squeeze in a 3x3 probably, with 3 plants. But it would regulate temps inside better I’d imagine, it does have a thermostat built in. Any tips or advice? Thanks!

tucume66

tucume66

Hey all! Long time user, prospective grower. I’m digging in and sifting through as much info as possible. I‘ve noticed a lot of info seems to be focused on yield, which is definitely understandable! However, I’m really only concerned with quality and wouldn’t mind yielding tiny plants with stinky, sticky dank buds. Only growing for myself I’d be fine with tiny yields.

With that said, are there certain aspects that I can disregard due to being only beneficial to yield or does larger plants/larger buds usually equate to danker buds? For instance I’m looking at the SF4000 LED for a 3x3 tent, but mostly for the 3000K, 5000K, 660nm, and IR 760nm. There is no UVA or UVB as far as I understand...and from what I’ve researched it seems UV can help with resin production in flowering?

My plan is 3x3, soil, still unsure about organic or not. Just looking to get the best I can (sure it won’t happen with my first few grows) but would like to know that my equipment is right for when I get some grows and experience under my belt. I’m going for 3x3 because I’m thinking it would be easier to control temp/humidity than a 2x2...but maybe I’m wrong lol.

Is the SF4000 a good prospect for a 3x3 if only focus is quality? Or is it too much for a 3x3 and possibly work against me? Should I look more into LEDs with built in UV diodes?
UVA & UVB the former can increase THC production & UVB has it's negative aspects in regards to some plants but for Cannabis it has been shown to help produce oil compounds in the plants. Here is a link to an article that will explain everything https://www.atophort.com/news/the-reasons-for-including-uva-and-uvb-in-led-grow-light.html For your soil organic grow I have found Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil to be near perfect for growing plants. The composition is totally organic although it has not been innoculated with beneficial bacteria that help plants with uptake of nutes, so you have to purchase separately and add as directed. I think your choice of the SF4000 would be perfect for your grow. I use SF1000 dimmable Maxsisun for my grow currently one for each plant, having switched over from Maxsisun 1000 model lamps (which are non-dimmable and don't have a heat sink) that I used for the past two grows due to the fact that controlling heat came close to being an issue near the end of my grow when the weather started heating up outside and my garage warmed too much (into the 80's) I use an upper exhaust fan and a lower intake fan both by Vivosun to keep the air flowing inside and expel the heat and humidity to an extent that I have never gotten any mold on my plants even though they were very dense. Whatever light you end up purchasing is probably irrelevant but what is important is that it does have a couple U/V LEDs and a couple 630nm deep red & 730nm infra red LEDs. (These Maxsisun LEDs have all those features and more) One of the most important factors you will have to figure out for yourself with whatever light you go with is adjusting it's brightness and distance from the seedling stage through the end of flowering and get yourself a meter to take the readings and then use the formulas to convert to micromoles and then to the ultimate light factor that ensures proper growth which is DLI the daily light integral which for cannabis seedlings 13-19 moles; vegetative 25-35 moles; flowering 38-65 moles DLI. https://www.420greenthumb.com/how-much-daily-light-integral-dli-does-cannabis-require/

Dothraki

Dothraki

UVA & UVB the former can increase THC production & UVB has it's negative aspects in regards to some plants but for Cannabis it has been shown to help produce oil compounds in the plants. Here is a link to an article that will explain everything https://www.atophort.com/news/the-reasons-for-including-uva-and-uvb-in-led-grow-light.html For your soil organic grow I have found Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil to be near perfect for growing plants. The composition is totally organic although it has not been innoculated with beneficial bacteria that help plants with uptake of nutes, so you have to purchase separately and add as directed. I think your choice of the SF4000 would be perfect for your grow. I use SF1000 dimmable Maxsisun for my grow currently one for each plant, having switched over from Maxsisun 1000 model lamps (which are non-dimmable and don't have a heat sink) that I used for the past two grows due to the fact that controlling heat came close to being an issue near the end of my grow when the weather started heating up outside and my garage warmed too much (into the 80's) I use an upper exhaust fan and a lower intake fan both by Vivosun to keep the air flowing inside and expel the heat and humidity to an extent that I have never gotten any mold on my plants even though they were very dense. Whatever light you end up purchasing is probably irrelevant but what is important is that it does have a couple U/V LEDs and a couple 630nm deep red & 730nm infra red LEDs. (These Maxsisun LEDs have all those features and more) One of the most important factors you will have to figure out for yourself with whatever light you go with is adjusting it's brightness and distance from the seedling stage through the end of flowering and get yourself a meter to take the readings and then use the formulas to convert to micromoles and then to the ultimate light factor that ensures proper growth which is DLI the daily light integral which for cannabis seedlings 13-19 moles; vegetative 25-35 moles; flowering 38-65 moles DLI. https://www.420greenthumb.com/how-much-daily-light-integral-dli-does-cannabis-require/
The spectrum of the light I settled on is listed as (380-410nm, 660-665nm, 730-740nm, 2800-3000K,4800-5000K) and has a dimmer knob. It’s Spider-Farmer “upgraded” SE3000. Right now I’m just trying to figure out how far from the plants to put it at each phase. Problem is, after the humidifier I’ve maxed out my limit for this initial setup so a PAR meter is out of the question for now. Any suggestions where to start without one? It’s going in a 3x3, same as spider farmers test size, if their chart is to be believed.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The spectrum of the light I settled on is listed as (380-410nm, 660-665nm, 730-740nm, 2800-3000K,4800-5000K) and has a dimmer knob. It’s Spider-Farmer “upgraded” SE3000. Right now I’m just trying to figure out how far from the plants to put it at each phase. Problem is, after the humidifier I’ve maxed out my limit for this initial setup so a PAR meter is out of the question for now. Any suggestions where to start without one? It’s going in a 3x3, same as spider farmers test size, if their chart is to be believed.
There's a good handful of people here who use a smart phone app. I don't know the name of it, but I know it's free ... How accurate is it? I don't know .... but even a fairly accurate reading could be helpful.

Someone here will have to provide the name of the app ... @Aqua Man, he probably knows.

Dothraki

Dothraki

There's a good handful of people here who use a smart phone app. I don't know the name of it, but I know it's free ... How accurate is it? I don't know .... but even a fairly accurate reading could be helpful.

Someone here will have to provide the name of the app ... @Aqua Man, he probably knows.
Yes, @growsince79 also pointed me towards the app...I can try it but my phone is an older model so not sure if it’ll work but I’ll give it a try and post the results to see if it sounds close. Now, only have to find the right one.

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

5x5 wouldn’t fit in the area I wanted to place it. The extra space would be nice I‘m sure.

Thanks for the tips! I just picked up an oil radiator for either inside the area with the tent or might stick it inside the tent (depending on which ends up working better, and if there’s space). I went with LED so I could adjust temps a bit easier and more precise, especially in summer. I’m thinking I’ll need a humidifier too, at least for winter grows.
I’m a little perplexed. Where in the world are you will this poor tent be located. Why do you need a heater and humidifier in a little 3x3 tent that will or should be have that light on 24/7 during veg and 12/12 in flower and filled out the space.

Dothraki

Dothraki

I’m a little perplexed. Where in the world are you will this poor tent be located. Why do you need a heater and humidifier in a little 3x3 tent that will or should be have that light on 24/7 during veg and 12/12 in flower and filled out the space.
Northeast...we get negative temps here. Right now the temp in the tent is a steady 66f, with a small 300w LED I doubt it will raise the temp much at all. The humidity drops to around 35% in winter.

growsince79

growsince79

Northeast...we get negative temps here. Right now the temp in the tent is a steady 66f, with a small 300w LED I doubt it will raise the temp much at all. The humidity drops to around 35% in winter.
Plants in a 3 x 3 can transpire 2 gallons a day. Low humidity shouldn't be a problem. HID lights make just as good of buds as any led. For about 1/3 the cost, hps in the winter is a no brainer.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Michigan here ... the land of schizophrenic weather. Weather here would be similar to upstate New York except we don't have the mountains.

I wouldn't worry about the plant-less dry air. Once you add plants to your tent, your humidity will rise on it's own. I have a humidifier that I've never used. I haven't had a need for it yet. I have a "dehumidifier" running most of the time during the spring and fall and cycling less but still running in the winter. If the humidifier is new, returning it would allow some cash for another area that's of more pressing needs.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Plants in a 3 x 3 can transpire 2 gallons a day. Low humidity shouldn't be a problem. HID lights make just as good of buds as any led. For about 1/3 the cost, hps in the winter is a no brainer.
oh wow...I had no idea the humidity would raise that much. Hey maybe it’ll raise the humidity in the basement for my guitars if I vent into the workshop haha...that’d be great!

Michigan here ... the land of schizophrenic weather. Weather here would be similar to upstate New York except we don't have the mountains.

I wouldn't worry about the plant-less dry air. Once you add plants to your tent, your humidity will rise on it's own. I have a humidifier that I've never used. I haven't had a need for it yet. I have a "dehumidifier" running most of the time during the spring and fall and cycling less but still running in the winter. If the humidifier is new, returning it would allow some cash for another area that's of more pressing needs.
Luckily I didn’t buy the humidifier yet...I’m wondering if I have 3 or 4 solo cups with coco , in a plastic dome, if I add 1/4” water to the tray under the elevated cups would that give them enough humidity in the dome during germination and seedling phase?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

oh wow...I had no idea the humidity would raise that much. Hey maybe it’ll raise the humidity in the basement for my guitars if I vent into the workshop haha...that’d be great!

Luckily I didn’t buy the humidifier yet...I’m wondering if I have 3 or 4 solo cups with coco , in a plastic dome, if I add 1/4” water to the tray under the elevated cups would that give them enough humidity in the dome during germination and seedling phase?
It's still not the same as larger plants transpiring inside a tent.

As for starting seeds, a seedling dome would be sufficient. No need to make a big investment here.

Dothraki

Dothraki

As for starting seeds, a seedling dome would be sufficient. No need to make a big investment here.
But is it an acceptable solution for humidity during seedlings? Or does the water breed gnats or mold in the dome?

dbrzz

dbrzz

I have found that in my garage the hvac/waterheater area has a stable temperature throughout the year. The temps are always between 72-85 degrees within 4 feet of my unit. Look for a warm place a freezer can give off heat too on top outside of course. If you want good seedlings in a cold room use a heat mat with a temperature rheostat. Inexpensive solution to get the perfect environment for your seeds. If you dont get the rheostat control the mats can get very hot and can be problematic.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I have found that in my garage the hvac/waterheater area has a stable temperature throughout the year. The temps are always between 72-85 degrees within 4 feet of my unit. Look for a warm place a freezer can give off heat too on top outside of course. If you want good seedlings in a cold room use a heat mat with a temperature rheostat. Inexpensive solution to get the perfect environment for your seeds. If you dont get the rheostat control the mats can get very hot and can be problematic.
I'll vouch for the seedling mats getting too hot without using the temperature controller. I forgot to put the probe under the mat once and cooked my seeds.

Yes, a seedling dome will be sufficient. Look to maintain the dome environment in the mid 70's. You should have plenty of humidity for sprouting seeds

dbrzz

dbrzz

I'll vouch for the seedling mats getting too hot without using the temperature controller. I forgot to put the probe under the mat once and cooked my seeds.

Yes, a seedling dome will be sufficient. Look to maintain the dome environment in the mid 70's. You should have plenty of humidity for sprouting seeds
Simply putting a clear plastic anything will hold the humidity. Saran wrap and popsicle sticks can create a simple dome.

Top Bottom