Quality vs Quantity... Small Setup

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Anthem

Anthem

Just want to say that the CO2 Exhale or similar kits add significant CO2 to my grow area at a very affordable price without having to think about it. My meter reads around 520 with no kit, and then fluctuating levels of 600-1300 for about six months with each bag.….
What are you using for a meter?

Anthem

Anthem

This weekend, my wife said to me ... I wish the tents were bigger. I'd like more room to move around while I take care of them ...

A bit later, I showed her a 6.5' x 6.5' x 6.5' ... I told her that if we do that, we'll need a lighting upgrade. She looked at me and said, "I figured that."

I bought the tent. I'll upgrade the lighting after the new year.
MIGrampa,
Return the tent and get one that is 7'11". You will thank me after the first couple of harvests. You can get much better yield with the height!!!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampa,
Return the tent and get one that is 7'11". You will thank me after the first couple of harvests. You can get much better yield with the height!!!
@Anthem I don't have the heights in my basement. 80" from concrete floor to ceiling. Tent is 78" tall. I'm already growing larger plants but I keep them short using LST.

Anthem

Anthem

@Anthem I don't have the heights in my basement. 80" from concrete floor to ceiling. Tent is 78" tall. I'm already growing larger plants but I keep them short using LST.
That is too bad. I always like the added height. I would always shoot for about 5'6" tall plants off the ground. IMO they yield better

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

That is too bad. I always like the added height. I would always shoot for about 5'6" tall plants off the ground. IMO they yield better

There's no doubt that is true. From floor to top of the plant, I'll hit between 4.5' and 5' and I bet I've got 12" - 18" of 90 degree bends through out. Subtract the pot height and straighten out the plant and I bet they would be 5 ft tall, possibly taller. It's hard to say since I never tried to measure them. lol

RigRoss

RigRoss

Thoughts on Growers Choice ROI-E420? The SE3000 is definitely a candidate I’m looking into, but just want to look at some other options in the ballpark. It seems tough to find an optimal full cycle light for a 3x3. It’s funny how many options there are now as opposed to 20 years ago.
The ROI-E420 loses almost 50% of its light output over 4000 hours of use but still uses the same amount of power.

Screenshot 20211031 073718 Drive
Screenshot 20211031 073622 Drive
Screenshot 20211031 073650 Drive
Screenshot 20211031 073750 Drive
growsince79

growsince79

The led guys always hype them claiming you never have to change bulbs like you do hid. Complete nonsense. All lights degrade over time. Leds only upside for me is less heat. HID grows just as good of buds a hell of a lot cheaper even with electric figured in.

RigRoss

RigRoss

Is that pretty much the same rate with other brands? Looking for info...
Here's the only other one I have access to. It's for a Luxx light. I don't personally use their fixtures but I hear good thing, I also haven't investigated them like I have Growers Choice.

Screenshot 20211031 101204 Drive
Screenshot 20211031 101222 Drive
Screenshot 20211031 101237 Drive
Screenshot 20211031 101301 Drive
growsince79

growsince79

Here's the only other one I have access to. It's for a Luxx light. I don't personally use their fixtures but I hear good thing, I also haven't investigated them like I have Growers Choice.
Sounds like the growers choice is either using seconds or they just run too hot. idk

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Hey all! Long time user, prospective grower. I’m digging in and sifting through as much info as possible. I‘ve noticed a lot of info seems to be focused on yield, which is definitely understandable! However, I’m really only concerned with quality and wouldn’t mind yielding tiny plants with stinky, sticky dank buds. Only growing for myself I’d be fine with tiny yields.

With that said, are there certain aspects that I can disregard due to being only beneficial to yield or does larger plants/larger buds usually equate to danker buds? For instance I’m looking at the SF4000 LED for a 3x3 tent, but mostly for the 3000K, 5000K, 660nm, and IR 760nm. There is no UVA or UVB as far as I understand...and from what I’ve researched it seems UV can help with resin production in flowering?

My plan is 3x3, soil, still unsure about organic or not. Just looking to get the best I can (sure it won’t happen with my first few grows) but would like to know that my equipment is right for when I get some grows and experience under my belt. I’m going for 3x3 because I’m thinking it would be easier to control temp/humidity than a 2x2...but maybe I’m wrong lol.

Is the SF4000 a good prospect for a 3x3 if only focus is quality? Or is it too much for a 3x3 and possibly work against me? Should I look more into LEDs with built in UV diodes?
A 3’ tent sucks. You’ll hate it in no time. Do not buy a tent less than 60” tall.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Sounds like the growers choice is either using seconds or they just run too hot. idk
It's not an issue I've experienced with my E720. It runs much cooler than my quantum boards. The issue he's referring to only happens when using the Grower's Choice light controller. He's convinced it's a driver issue. I'm convinced it's a phantom power draw issue between the controller and the driver. This can be determined using a Kill-o-Watt or similar device. If the controller is still drawing power during lights off, that points to this being a controller issue because that would be the source of the power draw. This doesn't happen when the current is completely switched off using a traditional light timer.

RigRoss

RigRoss

It's not an issue I've experienced with my E720. It runs much cooler than my quantum boards. The issue he's referring to only happens when using the Grower's Choice light controller. He's convinced it's a driver issue. I'm convinced it's a phantom power draw issue between the controller and the driver. This can be determined using a Kill-o-Watt or similar device. If the controller is still drawing power during lights off, that points to this being a controller issue because that would be the source of the power draw. This doesn't happen when the current is completely switched off using a traditional light timer.
If the controller was the issue why would the company's solution be to replace the fixture?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

If the controller was the issue why would the company's solution be to replace the fixture?
Put a Kill-O-Watt or similar measuring device between your controller and the wall socket. If you're still drawing power during lights off, it's the light controller. Another way to verify this would be to set up one of your E680's/E720's on it's own circuit using a mechanical timer. If you're unable to duplicate this issue using the mechanical timer which cuts all power to the drivers during lights off, it once again points to this being a controller issue.

I have heard of this issue before. I heard that it only was present on first gen E680's, and only showed up while using the light controller. The local "grow pro" I spoke to at my local go-to shop said that the Grower's Choice fixtures work with other brand light controllers and these other brand controllers don't seem to cause this issue. He was trying to sell me the PhotonTek Pro 1000w CO2 light, which I like. However, the fixture I really want has not been released yet: https://photontek-lighting.com/led/x-1000w-pro-led/

RigRoss

RigRoss

Put a Kill-O-Watt or similar measuring device between your controller and the wall socket. If you're still drawing power during lights off, it's the light controller. Another way to verify this would be to set up one of your E680's/E720's on it's own circuit using a mechanical timer. If you're unable to duplicate this issue using the mechanical timer which cuts all power to the drivers during lights off, it once again points to this being a controller issue.

I have heard of this issue before. I heard that it only was present on first gen E680's, and only showed up while using the light controller. The local "grow pro" I spoke to at my local go-to shop said that the Grower's Choice fixtures work with other brand light controllers and these other brand controllers don't seem to cause this issue. He was trying to sell me the PhotonTek Pro 1000w CO2 light, which I like. However, the fixture I really want has not been released yet: https://photontek-lighting.com/led/x-1000w-pro-led/
The controller pulls the same power whether the lights are on or off. It's only a switch, it's not inline with the power cord of the fixture.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

It’s not 3 foot tall it’s 6ft.
@Dothraki 9 ft square isn't that much. However, it's enough to do what you want to do starting out.

With that said, I half suspect you'll be upgrading your tent size in the future if space permits it. Why? Your plants will appreciate the extra space. More space also makes it easier to take care of the plants you grow. Airflow is something that cannot be stressed enough. If you can put some space between your plants, it goes a long ways to improving air flow. That air flow has more to do with healthy plants than many people think.

growsince79

growsince79

@Dothraki 9 ft square isn't that much. However, it's enough to do what you want to do starting out.

With that said, I half suspect you'll be upgrading your tent size in the future if space permits it. Why? Your plants will appreciate the extra space. More space also makes it easier to take care of the plants you grow. Airflow is something that cannot be stressed enough. If you can put some space between your plants, it goes a long ways to improving air flow. That air flow has more to do with healthy plants than many people think.
9sf can produce 4lbs/year if all goes well. For me it's always somthing- power outages, bugs, mold etc. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Dothraki

Dothraki

I see what you mean, and there are pros and cons to either side. But if I went to a bigger tent size it wouldn’t be much bigger. I would only do it so I can grow multiple strains. I like certain strains for certain characteristics of the type of high they produce. So depending on the day, time, weather, what I plan to do that day etc. I’ll pick the right strain for it. So the Max I’d want to grow at once would be maybe 4 plants, then use the 3x3 strictly for drying. But that’s only if I can find clones worth growing. I’m a little iffy about the whole seed thing. Seems like a craps shoot. If I can’t grow something that is as good as the best I can buy...I’ll still be buying it, but would probably still grow lol.

9sf can produce 4lbs/year if all goes well. For me it's always somthing- power outages, bugs, mold etc. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
Yeah i‘m a little worried about mold and pests in my dirty dusty basement.

Top Bottom