Quantum Board Opinions

• Thread starter Smoking Gun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AlaskaJoe907

AlaskaJoe907

\\Yeppers// 3 variations (1st is the new one that @basscaptain found)

Are these better or equal to the lights I just purchased? Wider spectrum I’d imagine

basscaptain

basscaptain

Note..The 301H chips on the new model don't sound that exciting, but the IR and UV does!
DH/Joe................. Says the same and got 1 of each :) to see what's up.... lol so I Guess he is happy I'm here now also.....
\\Yeppers// 3 variations (1st is the new one that @basscaptain found)

I didn't find ant of these lol, man I wish I could remember old boys name :( , ..... he posted that link the next day in someone else trend... I got it cause of the IR and UV, I'll know what I really like by dec??.. I"ll be buying a few more I have a feeling:)

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah, QB is very hot, so we also launched the TS and SP series, welcome to Mars Hydro LED, let us talk more about Mars Hydro new LED grow light, and have a chance got the light, maybe do a comparison grow with the QB?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Wanna see what THCfarmer thinks..see this thread and WHO replied!

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

From what I hear the 301H is just a SLIGHTLY more efficient 301B and some coating applied to the diodes, and I like to go with proven winners. Not saying it's bad..just new. The board you linked is interesting as well..No IR though, but I am not sure how much we meed Ir..BUT..some say that a balance of IR and UVB is needed for UVB to be effective..

This is getting above my pay grade and confusion has set in..LMAO

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
IR is said to raise leaf temps due to the lack of heat put off by LED lights vs HID. It’s used in mostly burple lights. The simple fix for that is to raise the ambient temp of the room through regulation which in turn raises leaf temp for proper transpiration.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

This is interesting showing a huge difference between Epistar and Cree Far Red....Cree for the win!

Snap3

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I’m always confused, Lol.
Finally bit the bull-it and nose dived into it. But it’s an LED. What’s the difference between this fixture compared to a quantum board fixture?View attachment 894934

In very simple terms a quantum board is an LED unit that uses many diodes spread along a single board that act as a circuit. This typically means each individual diode is being under driven, this allows for great efficiency from the units. HLG units are one very obvious example of quantum boards, but the bars of Fluence units are quantum boards as well. Other LED units use either COB (chip on board) or diodes that are being driven to their full capacity and oftentimes use optics to spread the light through an area. I see you got the new Scynce unit; their concept is very interesting. They are using diodes with optics to spread the light but offer huge amounts of light variability. I am looking forward to seeing what that unit can do; and for how long.

Some of the issues that LED units deal with is if the diodes are driven to full capacity (ie: a 3 watt diode being driven at 3 Watts) they often have a more limited light span compared to diodes being driven under full capacity. This can also create more concentrated heat from a unit. Quantum boards addressed both of these issues. With many diodes spread over an area and each being under-driven the longevity of the lights will increase and because air can pass over and around each diode removing the heat more efficiently. It also spreads the light over a larger area giving more even coverage throughout a grow space.

Last edited:
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

IR is said to raise leaf temps due to the lack of heat put off by LED lights vs HID. It’s used in mostly burple lights. The simple fix for that is to raise the ambient temp of the room through regulation which in turn raises leaf temp for proper transpiration.

IR is heat. That is how heat-vision works, it captures the IR radiation and converts it into an image. It’s very easy to forget that light and heat are two sides of the same coin. The reason they are associated with blurple lights is because broad spectrum white diodes typically encompass wavelengths that reach into the IR range. The reality is we can all just run our rooms warmer to make up for any lack of IR light to keep the metabolism of the plants pumping at a high rate. Think of it this way, when you and do physical activity we heat up and our metabolism rate goes up, we need more food and water to make up,for the energy lost. The same is true of plants, if we run the temperatures a bit warmer it turns up the plants metabolism and they can take up more nutrients and water; ultimately this allows our plants to grow bigger and faster.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
In very simple terms a quantum board is an LED unit that uses many diodes spread along a single board that act as a circuit. This typically means each individual diode is being under driven, this allows for great efficiency from the units. HLG units are one very obvious example of quantum boards, but the bars of Fluence units are quantum boards as well. Other LED units use either COB (chip on board) or diodes that are being driven to their full capacity and oftentimes use optics to spread the light through an area. I see you got the new Scynce unit; their concept is very interesting. They are using diodes with optics to spread the light but offer huge amounts of light variability. I am looking forward to seeing what that unit can do; and for how long.

Some of the issues that LED units deal with is if the diodes are driven to full capacity (ie: a 3 watt diode being driven at 3 Watts) they often have a more limited light span compared to diodes being driven under full capacity. This can also create more concentrated heat from a unit. Quantum boards addressed both of these issues. With many diodes spread over an area and each being under-driven the longevity of the lights will increase and because air can pass over and around each diode removing the heat more efficiently. It also spreads the light over a larger area giving more even coverage throughout a grow space.
Thanks man, you nailed it for my simple mind:)

basscaptain

basscaptain

ok 1st thing that and Only Thing so far in IMO needs to be done... is,......if your going to run that ballast on the light you need to add a 1" spacer and 2 longer screws so air can flow though there..... I'm going to say something to Vicky that it would be nice if they added it to there unit also.... LOVING this Light..................

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

ok 1st thing that and Only Thing so far in IMO needs to be done... is,......if your going to run that ballast on the light you need to add a 1" spacer and 2 longer screws so air can flow though there..... I'm going to say something to Vicky that it would be nice if they added it to there unit also.... LOVING this Light..................

You could also do a bit of wiring and extend the wire from the ballast to the board and put it up to 10' away from your unit. Then you will really be running cool.

basscaptain

basscaptain

You could also do a bit of wiring and extend the wire from the ballast to the board and put it up to 10' away from your unit. Then you will really be running cool.
I will at some point i'll mount them all on the wall on wood....

C

caribstoner

Hey guys,
hope all is well... sorry for barging in....
i just got 2 of Meijiu 240W QB288 Samsung lm301b V2 diy led grow light with 660nm 3500 last saturday and i really like them before these i had 3 x 450w viparspectra... see pics below of qbs on the 3rd day.

i am buying 3 more as we speak.... but i am confused.... is there a big difference between the 301b and 301h?

also do i need to buy now with uv and ir?

what should i buy?

59B31760 5165 4D21 AB6F 74C0A1BA320C
332B9961 535C 4032 86F7 528C389CA22A
Patro

Patro

I am looking for some opinions from those who have experience with quantum boards. I am looking at two possible options for a 2x4 tent, the first option would be to run a qb288 V2 the second option would be to run multiple qb100’s (3 or 4). The multiple qb100’s would give me a bit more variability in how I could run my lighting and would undoubtedly be enough light for the area. I do have some concerns about the coverage of the qb288 but HLGs specs say it would be efficient. In the worst case scenario I could always add supplemental lighting like T5 strips in the corners to add a bit of side lighting. The qb288 would probably be a bit more cost effective though. Just looking for thoughts an opinions.

Also for those using HLG quantum boards what dimmer are you using or are you dimming the lights with the driver?

I spent quite a bit of time researching LED's when the decision was made to scrap HPS lighting because of cost of operation, heat, ect. I built a few COB lights and then seen my first LM-301b diodes in action. Matter of fact, it was a Quantum board that prompted me to purchase a PAR meter. Once I ran the Samsung diodes under the PAR meter, I was sold.
Until something better comes out, these Quantum boards are the cats meow.
20191203 165817

Latest posts

Top Bottom