Quantum boards???

• Thread starter BigCube
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

So after receiving and being disappointed in Mars hydros "best" discount. On their tsw 2000. I am looking for equivalent options. Always people say they could put together a quantum board for cheap. So let's see just how cheap.

Looked around in Ali Express, so far everything I see quantum, costs more than Mars without the discount. Let alone with the discount.

Am I missing something? Anyone have any suggestions? Basically want a 300w + led setup, no cobs.

Thanks farmers! I know some of you are full of awesome info.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So after receiving and being disappointed in Mars hydros "best" discount. On their tsw 2000. I am looking for equivalent options. Always people say they could put together a quantum board for cheap. So let's see just how cheap.

Looked around in Ali Express, so far everything I see quantum, costs more than Mars without the discount. Let alone with the discount.

Am I missing something? Anyone have any suggestions? Basically want a 300w + led setup, no cobs.

Thanks farmers! I know some of you are full of awesome info.
Cheap is relative... What kinda numbers are you looking to achieve? I know @Buzzer777 has a fair amount of knowledge on the Chinese QBs maybe he can help ya out.

justiceman

justiceman

I am new to LED myself. I didn't want to spend much on something I am testing out for fun so I did some research and ended up finding Kingbrite through Alibaba.

Two 288 boards(576 LEDs total) with a dimmable Mean Well driver at 240w. It has Samsung LM301H chips which are supposed to be some of the best from what I understand. I got this for about 160 shipped and it should cover a 2 x 4 area, but I cannot speak on the performance yet. I can say this thing is extremely bright though! After I test it out some I may grab another and then run them together in a 4 x 4. I really like the thought of how versatile they can be if you get the boards on separate heat sinks instead of one large one.
288boarda

BigCube

BigCube

Yeah I saw those too. I'd need 3 panels to reach the wattage I need, and 3 doesnt work out in a square, so I'd need 4. I need a bare minimum of 300w

BigCube

BigCube

Cheap is relative... What kinda numbers are you looking to achieve? I know @Buzzer777 has a fair amount of knowledge on the Chinese QBs maybe he can help ya out.

I'm comparing it to the Mars price. Around 250 to 300 cdn

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I am new to LED myself. I didn't want to spend much on something I am testing out for fun so I did some research and ended up finding Kingbrite through Alibaba.

Two 288 boards(576 LEDs total) with a dimmable Mean Well driver at 240w. It has Samsung LM301H chips which are supposed to be some of the best from what I understand. I got this for about 160 shipped and it should cover a 2 x 4 area, but I cannot speak on the performance yet. I can say this thing is extremely bright though! After I test it out some I may grab another and then run them together in a 4 x 4. I really like the thought of how versatile they can be if you get the boards on separate heat sinks instead of one large one.
View attachment 909780
2 of these would be about 500w and be perfect for a 4x4.

justiceman

justiceman

Yeah I saw those too. I'd need 3 panels to reach the wattage I need, and 3 doesnt work out in a square, so I'd need 4. I need a bare minimum of 300w
Exactly what I was thinking. Four 288 boards(1,152LEDs) on 2 rectangle heat sinks like the one above at 480w with Samsumng LM301H chips should vastly exceed the Marshydro TSW2000 at 301w with SMD Epistar chips in not only efficiency but actual wattage draw. It would be a square covering the same area as the TSW2000 did and would cost around 320. It's going to be very hard to find quality setups at that wattage and efficiency for cheaper. The parts can be sourced individually and built but honestly I don't think even then it would be any less expensive because Samsung chips don't come cheap.

There is a square heat sink that holds four 288 boards but I personally think two separate rectangle heat sinks with two 288 boards each can create a more even square footprint since they can be spread apart from each other.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Exactly what I was thinking. Four 288 boards(1,152LEDs) on 2 rectangle heat sinks like the one above at 480w with Samsumng LM301H chips should vastly exceed the Marshydro TSW2000 at 301w with SMD Epistar chips in not only efficiency but actual wattage draw. It would be a square covering the same area as the TSW2000 did and would cost around 320. It's going to be very hard to find quality setups at that wattage and efficiency for cheaper. The parts can be sourced individually and built but honestly I don't think even then it would be any less expensive because Samsung chips don't come cheap.

There is a square heat sink that holds four 288 boards but I personally think two separate rectangle heat sinks with two 288 boards each can create a more even square footprint since they can be spread apart from each other.
Agree 100%

BigCube

BigCube

Unfortunatly they want over $50 shipping on each of them. Making around $450

justiceman

justiceman

Unfortunatly they want over $50 shipping on each of them. Making around $450
If you want save on shipping you can always get this. It's the same parts on one square heat sink but from Horticultural Lighting Group.

HLG 550 V2 R SPEC

They are gonna upcharge you on parts cost though 😉. I won't pry anymore just trying to help out but in all seriousness $450 CAD is a very good price for the gear above. If anybody else chimes in with a cheaper alternative that is still high quality I would love to know myself because I'm all for getting the most bang for my buck.

BigCube

BigCube

Yeah, I hear you. It is good gear and worth it too. But I dont need 4 of them. I need 2 and a half, but I also need square footprint. If I bought them, I'd have them dimmed down to like 65% lol.

basscaptain

basscaptain

BigCube

BigCube

if your talking about alib the 2 nd light should be half the price on shipping... you should be into 320 for 2 shipped I think I'm guessing cause I'm to lazy right now to ask them...

So 640 for 4. I can get 2 Mars tw2000s for that. Lol. Well time to look elsewhere I think.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So 640 for 4. I can get 2 Mars tw2000s for that. Lol. Well time to look elsewhere I think.
No the mars is 300w. 2 of those is 500w. So for a minimal cost increase your going to get close to double the light of the tw2000. Better drivers, better diodes, better efficiency and more light per watt.

2 tw2000 is 600w and 4 of the others is 1000w. Huge difference in light output and quality

BigCube

BigCube

No the mars is 300w. 2 of those is 500w. So for a minimal cost increase your going to get close to double the light of the tw2000. Better drivers, better diodes, better efficiency and more light per watt.

2 tw2000 is 600w and 4 of the others is 1000w. Huge difference in light output and quality

Mars tw2000 is 310w x 2 is 620w.

Quantum boards are 120w each, x 4 is 480w.

With discount 2 Mars tw2000 would be 560ish

4 quantum boards would be over 600. For less than 2/3 the watts.

I just noticed your error. What you posted. That price is for 1 board. Not 2. Check it out.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I just noticed your error. What you posted. That price is for 1 board. Not 2. Check it out.

$115 for 240w 2 boards 1 heatsink driver etc.

If ya get 2 it's about 300 give or take and it's about 500w because the drivers do a bit more than they say. I don't think I made an error

Last edited:
justiceman

justiceman

An important facotr is Mars uses SMD Epistar chips where as Kingbrite uses Samsung LM301B or LM301H chips. The samsung LEDs are superior in converting watts to light photons and not just into heat output. Essentially that means watts alone doesn't determine how good a light is.

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers on the costs.

• Four 288 boards(480 watts) will not cost more than 320 USD or 424 CAD and that includes shipping
  • Two TSW2000(610 watts) according to your discount would cost 423USD or 560 CAD(unsure if that includes shipping)
The TSW2000 uses more energy, produces less efficient light and costs more upfront. There really aren't any positives going for it in my opinon.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

$115 for 240w 2 boards 1 heatsink driver etc.

If ya get 2 it's about 300 give or take and it's about 500w because the drivers do a bit more than they say.

Is that for a 2x4 area. So I need 2 for a 4x4?And not for a tent but an open room. Well and a tent but i know there is better reflection in a tent than my room. I rely on the direct down intensity of those blockbuster reflectors for growing those thick bushes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom