Questions about my BHO extraction process

• Thread starter tumerz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tumerz

tumerz

Hey guys, first time posting here but I've been lurking for awhile. After many extractions, I have found myself with lower yields/ratios than I have been reading about. I think the problem lies in my extraction process. Here's what I'm doing:

-Using high quality trim/popcorn nugs, and running them in a dehydrator for about an hour or until completely dried.

-Then I take my tube (approx. 1.5'' diameter x 12'' long, made out of glass), and I pack about 100g into it, making sure to take out all the stems. (I do not grind the trim/small nugs, I just pack the tube tightly)

-I use 3-4 coffee filters on the end, and secure them with a hose clamp.

-I run about 2 cans of Vector per run, holding down constant pressure the entire time.

-I blow into a pyrex dish in a warm, temp controlled water bath

-After my first run, I unpack the tube and let the plant matter warm up and crumble

-I repack the tube, and run another 2 cans of Vector in the same fashion.

-I let my oil purge for about 1-3 hours at a constant temp. around 115 F

After this I am only getting about a 11:1 ratio, which kind of sucks. If anyone can give me suggestions on how to improve my technique/process, it would be much appreciated.

Graywolf

Graywolf

With the Terpenators, we've gotten from 5.8% to 28.1% from prime bud and usually average around 10 to 12% with quality trim, so your 9% is not that far off.

All that I see in your process, is that 1.5" ID is too large for a single pass column. We use 1" or smaller. It is harder to not have channeling with a larger tube.

You might insert a wadded up coffee filter in your injection end, to dissipate and evenly spread the butane.

sky high

sky high

I used to run a lot of oil. I always had better luck by NOT tightly packing the weed in the tube.

If it were me in your situation...I'd wait about 10 minutes and then run a 3rd can through the tube....no unpacking/etc. rather than unpacking/repacking and using 2 more cans. For my money....I'd save the 4th can for another fresh run. (if I had the trim)

good luck

Mustard

Mustard

Graywolf is right the tube is pretty wide, but like he said put cotton balls or paper towels at the top of tube and that should help. If i were you I'd get a skinnier tube. Either make it longer or just get two of them to make up for lost volume

The way i decide how much butane to use is I run double the butane it takes to see oil dripping from the bottom.

Also I have always gotten better results from packing tightly.

I wouldn't dehydrate the trim first either although I'm sure that only helps your yield.

Again, 9% isn't bad for a trim run its pretty average

tumerz

tumerz

Cool, thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna do some runs when I get back to school after break.

As Graywolf said, I think my tube is too wide, and I'm gonna find a skinnier one to try, and and I'm going to pack the tube not as tightly.

Would any of you recommend grinding/breaking down the trim before the first run?

Mustard

Mustard

It's always good to experiment and get results for yourself, but a tighter tube will always yield better IMHO. Pretty sure that grinding will always produce a darker oil.

Mustard

Mustard

It's trim anyways should be broken up plenty already, and any little buds are better left untouched.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
if you can freeze and run fresh ...you will be happy;)
DSC03175
DSC03175

Graywolf

Graywolf

Cool, thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna do some runs when I get back to school after break.

As Graywolf said, I think my tube is too wide, and I'm gonna find a skinnier one to try, and and I'm going to pack the tube not as tightly.

Would any of you recommend grinding/breaking down the trim before the first run?

Depends on what you are making. We grind all of our material for oral or topical meds, but don't for first quality vaporization oil. Grinding exposes more raw plant edges, that can bleed water solubles and chlorophyll into the extraction.

We prefer fresher material, that isn't bone dry, for vaporization as well. The lighter terpenes evaporate away with the water, when it is bone dry.

tumerz

tumerz

I'm trying to get the best shatter oil I can. I have a vac set up to a pressure cooker, so I can keep the oil heated while purging in it. I'm getting a light gold color lately, and it turns out very hard.

Thanks for the tips, I'm sure they'll come in handy in the future.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I'm trying to get the best shatter oil I can. I have a vac set up to a pressure cooker, so I can keep the oil heated while purging in it. I'm getting a light gold color lately, and it turns out very hard.

Thanks for the tips, I'm sure they'll come in handy in the future.

For the best shatter, we use 46C/115F and -29.9" Hg.

B

bluesurfboy

Fresher material is lighter colored than decarboxylated material. It turns from light yellow to amber when it loses the COOH chain.

My understanding was that decarboxylated cannabis is only called that after being dried/cured AND heated.

Does drying/curing completely also cause the material to lose its COOH chain, or is it just from the loss of the lighter terpenese and/or other tastes.

I've never decarbed my material before running, so i dont know what color to compare it against, i have most people telling my they love my color, i guess i personally just would like to see more lighter colors..
IMG_20121231_091052.jpg

IMG_20121231_091206.jpg

Graywolf

Graywolf

My understanding was that decarboxylated cannabis is only called that after being dried/cured AND heated.

Does drying/curing completely also cause the material to lose its COOH chain, or is it just from the loss of the lighter terpenese and/or other tastes.

I've never decarbed my material before running, so i dont know what color to compare it against, i have most people telling my they love my color, i guess i personally just would like to see more lighter colors..

Decarboxylation is a drying process, where the carboxylic acids lose the COOH molecule in the form of CO2 and H2O. It has nothing to do with the other terpenes.

Drying a fresh plant, and using heat, speeds up the rate of decarboxylation, but It starts before the plants are harvested and continues even at room temperature 24/7.

I personally am less concerned about the color, as I am the smell, taste, and effect. I compliment folks on color, based on it being in the expected range, and demonstrating optical clarity, as opposed to how light the color.

Unlike dark green, even a light electric green from overwash, can still be smooth, tasty, and effective, without the expected harshness from chlorophyll pickup.

I recommend letting your nose and taste buds guide you, and your body sensations be the judge, rather than just your eyes.

B

bluesurfboy

Decarboxylation is a drying process, where the carboxylic acids lose the COOH molecule in the form of CO2 and H2O. It has nothing to do with the other terpenes.

Drying a fresh plant, and using heat, speeds up the rate of decarboxylation, but It starts before the plants are harvested and continues even at room temperature 24/7.

I personally am less concerned about the color, as I am the smell, taste, and effect. I compliment folks on color, based on it being in the expected range, and demonstrating optical clarity, as opposed to how light the color.

Unlike dark green, even a light electric green from overwash, can still be smooth, tasty, and effective, without the expected harshness from chlorophyll pickup.

I recommend letting your nose and taste buds guide you, and your body sensations be the judge, rather than just your eyes.

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation.

As far as nose, taste, and body i have no issues, only color, but I can definitely see how that isnt as big of issue as bad smells/chemicals/molds

Graywolf

Graywolf

does "fresh" mean just-cut, still wet or dry to touch, stems snap, but not fully cured.

Don't know what it means at other locals, but locally fresh means just cut and free of exterior moisture that will freeze and coat the trichomes, preventing extraction.

Dry means 7 to 5 days hanging, when the small stems will snap. Moisture content is in the 15/20% range.

Cured means curing dried material in a jar after the 5 to 7 days, usually longer than 30 days and less than a year. Moisture content is around 10/15%.

Top Bottom