Questions about my BHO extraction process

• Thread starter tumerz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jyip

jyip

interesting thread ,, always like reading your posts graywolf,, jus tryin to learn to safely process and use bho,, i started in aug 2012 and have not smoked a flower since, luv that oil,, luv my rig,,,no short cuts to experience with this here,,,,, be safe and do small personal runs and watch and pay attention to details like time, temps, and other variables,,,happy erl vaping!!!

jyip

jyip

if you can freeze and run fresh ...you will be happy​
tatt jim, exactly wat is your tek for this? i jus cut some bud down yesterday and put about an oz on a hot plate to take some moisture out, then jus scissored it , and not a uper tight pack, make sure you can blow thru packed tube,,,then i put both tane and packed tube in freezer for 1 hr and blsted some very tasty stank dank, tho not best of color tho this g13 strain does always come back amber in color at it lightest.....so tell me,, thx and hope alls good w;ya​

mikeb437

mikeb437

Fresher material is lighter colored than decarboxylated material. It turns from light yellow to amber when it loses the COOH chain.

So my old weed thats been sitting in my dresser for a month will be darker in color? Fresher weed = lighter color? Ive been having a hard time lately making good oil.. It turns out dark, not that tasty, and very hard in texture,,

Graywolf

Graywolf

Yes, if you want very little color and lots of lighter terpenes in the oil, freeze and extract fresh cut buds that the trichomes are still in the clear stage.

Buds harvested in the amber stage, produce darker oil to start with, and material that has been sitting around drying, is not only losing the lighter terpenes, which are alcohols, ethers, ketones, aldehydes, etc, or molecules with a high vapor pressure and which evaporate away easily, but also begins to decarboxylate and release the COOH group as C02 and more water vapor.

RoidsRus

RoidsRus

With the Terpenators, we've gotten from 5.8% to 28.1% from prime bud and usually average around 10 to 12% with quality trim, so your 9% is not that far off.

All that I see in your process, is that 1.5" ID is too large for a single pass column. We use 1" or smaller. It is harder to not have channeling with a larger tube.

You might insert a wadded up coffee filter in your injection end, to dissipate and evenly spread the butane.

This man speaks with facts....

Reebs

Reebs

i've always found that the temp has a lot to do with the whole process, and messin with that can work better than a vac purger. i blow wax on a wkly basis and i've never used a vac purge but i'm able to get a nice smooth, citrusy tasting product, everytime.

sixstring

sixstring

Im
i've always found that the temp has a lot to do with the whole process, and messin with that can work better than a vac purger. i blow wax on a wkly basis and i've never used a vac purge but i'm able to get a nice smooth, citrusy tasting product, everytime.

So what temp do you prefer for purging ?

Reebs

Reebs

well... lol this is somewhat of the trick/secret here but this stuff is so common nowadays, mind aswell spread the knowledge.

there are 2 main types of BHO i make and people seems to like. i like to use a hot plate thing with water in it and a pyrex dish sitting in the water. the temps are the temp of the water and/or the temp controller for the hot plate.

-Goo (as i like to call it) is made by using a temp between 175-225. after done blowing the wax into the dish, i wait for the initial butane to purge off on its own. once it starts to make big bubbles i take one of my tools and start whisping around in the dish to help pop the big bubbles and create very small ones, the oil should start to turn brighter aswell. once the big bubbles have stopped, i reduce heat to the lower end (175) and continue to whisp my tool around for about 5-10 mins, at which point i take off the heat and let cool down at room remp (about 20-25 mins) 9-10 the product is gooey doing it this way.

-Cookie is made by keeping the heat lower while blowing the wax, 150-175. after done blowing the wax i bring the heat up to 225-250 and i don't touch it, i just let it heat purge for about 10-15 mins. eventually the bubbles will stop and the oil will look kind of cloudy and like it's hardening up. at this point i remove from heat and place it in the freezer for about 5-10 mins. then i take it out and put it back on 200-225 water and let sit for another 5-10 mins. after that i let sit and cool down to room temp. 9-10 the poduct is cookie.

PS, be careful NOT to re heat or heat BHO to fast or above 250 as it will turn the color dark and make it not taste good.

sixstring

sixstring

Thanks for all the info.mine keeps coming out kinda dark and I suspect my cheap temp probe is giving false readings of 160 to 180f.i bet its closer to 250f, just an old meat probe I put in the water.but I use the same equipment your using basically.

Top Bottom