Raised bed Planter Box 4 less than 30 bucks

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I know Redwood would would work better. But they are 6 bucks a board.
that would cost bout $80
But, I got these fence boards at lowes for 2 bucks each.
Then found some on craigs list for a buck...going there tomorrow

12- 5foot X 5inch Fence boards = $24.
1 8ft 2x4 cut into 2ft pieces = $1.50
few dozen 1 5/8 screws = .50

Took about an hour to put together with a couple smoke breaks :)
Newbox

I loosened up the ground a bit underneath. .
Newboxbottom

And Put 1/2 chicken wire on the bottom to keep the gophers out
Newboxwire

Put 9 cuft in there so far...gonna put a few cuft of pearlite and another 8 or 9 ft of soil.
Newbed

I hope to grow a couple 6ft round bushes in it ;)
I plan to feed with A1 nutes and the tea recipes I'm finding here at the farm. :)

vaporedout

vaporedout

looking good ken, nice lil setup there. ive been meaning to ask ya, whats with the plastic water bottles on the bottom, im pretty sure your first couple posts were about squirels or some other kinda varmit chewing on yer stalks, is that it? and with that big of bed along with some nice size plants now.... youll be gettin alot bigger than 6 footers unless you top and tie

urbanfog

urbanfog

Looks great Ken, thanks for the ideas! Did a ghetto raised bed today for some flowers out of a old single bed frame lol. Worked great but I would like a few like yours :D

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Howdy Urban :) thanks for the reply.
My wife just told me the other day she wants a bed frame flower bed! :D
Cool idea. we have vintage one that will work nicely.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
looking good ken, nice lil setup there. ive been meaning to ask ya, whats with the plastic water bottles on the bottom, im pretty sure your first couple posts were about squirels or some other kinda varmit chewing on yer stalks, is that it? and with that big of bed along with some nice size plants now.... youll be gettin alot bigger than 6 footers unless you top and tie

Hiya Vapor. :)
Yep. the bottles are for mice and squirrel protection. (wondering if I should start a thread...lol)
Yep. gonna top and tie them girls to those hoops...lol :D

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
is this a light dep project? what u mixing in your soil? looks good!!
Almost missed your post. Chem. thanks
No I think these might get too big for lightdep....But I could change my mind...:)
Im not mixing anything but Big pearlite in..
I have 40lbs of kelp power(gifted to me) :D
I just bought 15lbs of Worm castings
and 4 of the A1 sample gallons and Mycos, I was gonna make tea with.......o_O

What do You suggest I add to the store bought organic soil?

I would appreciate any suggestions from the other farmers too.

Thanks again

squarepusher

squarepusher

Looks good, but most of the raised bed guides I have seen, limit the height to about 1-2 feet. Did you consider doing it this height?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Looks good, but most of the raised bed guides I have seen, limit the height to about 1-2 feet. Did you consider doing it this height?

thanks... This is 2 foot high..5ft long..bout 30inches wide...Looks deeper in the photo doesn;t it? :)

thats why I call it a box..and not really a bed. We have gophers bad here

I thought about doing 30inx30in X 2ft tall..(Half a fence board).for one plant.....But I made this for these two twin BG#5's :)

Actually, this bed is less than 2ft...thats four 5.5 inch boards with a 1/8th inch gap tween each ...lol
But I did loosen the native soil beneath:D

squarepusher

squarepusher

thanks... This is 2 foot high..5ft long..bout 30inches wide...Looks deeper in the photo doesn;t it? :)

I thought about doing 30inx30in X 2ft tall..(Half a fence board).for one plant.....But I made this for these two twin BG#5's :)

Actually, this bed is less than 2ft...thats four 5.5 inch boards with a 1/8th inch gap tween each ...lol
But I did loosen the native soil beneath:D
wow, fooled me! looks great im sure you are gunna blow it up

coloradochem

coloradochem

Almost missed your post. Chem. thanks
No I think these might get too big for lightdep....But I could change my mind...:)
Im not mixing anything but Big pearlite in..
I have 40lbs of kelp power(gifted to me) :D
I just bought 15lbs of Worm castings
and 4 of the A1 sample gallons and Mycos, I was gonna make tea with.......o_O

What do You suggest I add to the store bought organic soil?

I would appreciate any suggestions from the other farmers too.

Thanks again

last year I did compost, cow manure, worm castings, peat, perlite, myco and mushroom compost. dont know if thats a good mix, uncomplete, or over done, lol. it worked pretty good thou had 6 footers with plenty of flowers !

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Those hoops aren't good for much here. except to hold the nite light for a couple weeks
and I can cover them if the weather turns
Probably let these go all sumer
Newbox4 19

K

kolah

Looks like a manger for baby jesus!

Seriously tho', thats cool. I read somewhere that redwood is not good for gardens. I do know for a fact that when cutting redwood, the dust is very toxic. Or is it cedar?
I prefer old barnwood and usually find it free. I am a cheap sonofabitch though.

Mogrow

Mogrow

Ken, I can envision that box in 6 months, i see large colas in your future...
maybe add some dolomite lime, maybe some diamatious earth, you got any compost made up?? I love adding my own compost to my mix. also maybe some blood and bone meal....
rock the boxxx...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Ken, I can envision that box in 6 months, i see large colas in your future...
maybe add some dolomite lime, maybe some diamatious earth, you got any compost made up?? I love adding my own compost to my mix. also maybe some blood and bone meal....
rock the boxxx...
Cool Thanks Mo. :)
I think we have some dolomite lime,and diamatious earth,in the garage. from the veggie grows my wife and I have done.

Naww..I don't have compost this year..:( .My wife was ragging on me about that. :rolleyes:
shoulda woulda coulda..
I have made some really nice compost/wormfarm/lasagna gardens in the past (tomatoes mostly). I didn't have time this year.
I did save a shitload of Paperplates and paper towels, Coffefilters(with the coffee, worms love it) all our veggie scraps and cuttings, potato peels, ETC.
So I have the worm food to build one. Just gotta get to it. ;)

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I`m thinking of making above ground planters this year three of them 5 foot wide x 60 foot long(or more) x 4 foot high. Want them side by side with just enough room between them to walk and will build a pvc tunnel over them by Fall. Was thinking of using 4x4 cedar posts that come up above the top edge and doing a screen of green. I plan on using wire fience and landscape fabric along with some boards for support along the sides. Hope to plant 30 or more plants. Besides the smaller outdoor seed grow plants.The seed grow plants will be covered 12/12 and finish up early.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Beauty box, Ken! Did you have to give it a quick once-over with a sander or something? I was looking at the fence slats and they looked pretty splintery to me.

I'm building a pair of deck-planters (got some brackets from a neighbor that will let me hang it on the deck railing) and just went with doug fir boards. I'm thinking I'll probably have to treat the fir with a sealer on the interior and stain the exterior, but just didn't have the cash to lay out for the redwood. Looked at the slats, but they're too short for what I want to do and would have required too much cutting.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Mark; 60 ft long!?...Nice! :)

Hiya Seamaiden :); Naw I didn't sand em...these were not very splintery...
I have had a splinter under my finger nail a couple times in the past..:confused: Not gonna happen again.

I don't have a lot of Money to spend either...and Im probably gonna use what ever I find on Freecycle or Craig's list. to build my next boxes. o_O

Top Bottom