• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thanks you guys :)
I guess I will have to treat this as a Diary now..
.the plants in the OP are looking like they will be 10 ft tall..6 ft wide
so come back in august...I will update...lol..;)

But I am making more Beds this weekend...so come back monday..to see those :D

:p

well most of the farm have probaly see these pics but....

These beds cost around 13 bucks each (2 sheets of plywood 2 2x4's=$40 = 3 boxes)
Newbeds6 24

and I had left over 2ft x 16in. pieces to make these smaller 2x2 boxes with
PBBX4 6 25

rollon

rollon

Lovin the variety of boxes in this thread.u are the recycled material grow guru.only wood u might want to steer clear of is womanized or treated wood it has a green tint and if u smell it has that chemical smell from the dip.walnut has a natural chemical defence that poisens other tree roots,might want to steer clear of it.if u treat the top edge of ur plywood boxes it will keep the layers from flakeing and allowing the rain to enter in rotting them out.alot like hickory does.keep growing those trees Ken.peace

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thanks Rollon. great tips...Yeah, I wont use treated lumber..although I did use some really old and weathered railroad ties for a bed...and I realize they are soaked in chemicals (krioselt (sp?))
but I think most of that has been washed away years ago. and they plants dont seem to mind.

That is a good tip for making these plywood beds last...but I really dont care if they last...lol.
13 bucks each...I think one season they should pay for them selfs...and pay for better beds too.

Gonna make real nice ones next time. and They will be built to last...;)

and probably compost in those old beds till they rot.

neverbreak

neverbreak

are ya concerned at all about the glues in the ply leaching into the soil?

neverbreak

iCultivate

iCultivate

Awesome beds Ken! Can't believe how cheap they are for you to build. Can't imagine they would cost so little down here.

-- iCultivate --

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

possibly. the glues they use in ply can be toxic and contain chemicals like formaldehyde. whether plants can uptake those chemicals in the glues i don't know. just something worth thinking about, especially if aiming to grow organically.

neverbreak

the plants will not uptake the chemicals from the glues. at MOST they would fry the roots and hinder growth. i wouldnt worry about it 1 bit Ken. .

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Downed trees make good planting beds as well, just cut them to size and stack them like miniature log cabins. Just pin the ends or if ya wanna get fancy scribe and notch them to fit.
^^That would look really cool too!
Great idea for the front yard veggie beds!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
the plants will not uptake the chemicals from the glues. at MOST they would fry the roots and hinder growth. i wouldnt worry about it 1 bit Ken. .

the creosote in these really old railroadties didn't seem to bother this plant last year

sourt-jpg.212726

But I understand where NeverBreak is comming from...If it were Veggies...
I might think twice about it.

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

its always good to think about things like that no doubt.

K

kolah

with pressure treated wood and railroad ties I'd avoid getting water on them so it doesn't leech out into the roots. But heavy rains might do some leeching. I'm sure if it got into the plants you'd taste it though. Dunno....never used that stuff or plywood sheathing.

Top Bottom