Realstyles Diy Cxb3590 Tutorial

• Thread starter REALSTYLES
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mikey 5

Where can I get COB holders for CXB 3590s? I tried a bunch of electronics places but no gots.

M

Mikey 5

arrow.com

@tomiland yeah KB as well lol. I get my cobs from Jerry and my holders from arrow.com only because KB didn't stock them at the time lol
Thanks Realstyles, I got my COBs from Jerry and thought it would be easier to get the holders in th USA. NOT!!! Lots of suppliers have holders for CXAs. Oh well. Thanks again.

5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

Cree recommends you run them in series not parallel and use a constant current power supply. I'll finish this tutorial tomorrow.
did they say why, i was just contemplating this with an electrician friend, if it was run parallel wouldn't it protect the cobs from power surges.

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

did they say why, i was just contemplating this with an electrician friend, if it was run parallel wouldn't it protect the cobs from power surges.
Because if 1 of the cobs were too die the amps would go to the other cobs and might burn out the cobs that get the extra amps. I'm just thinking that might be but htey say don't for a reason. It can be done but it is not advised by the manufacturer.

5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

Because if 1 of the cobs were too die the amps would go to the other cobs and might burn out the cobs that get the extra amps. I'm just thinking that might be but htey say don't for a reason. It can be done but it is not advised by the manufacturer.
-so you're saying if it were serial there isn't a danger of over amperage if one cob burns out, like christmas lights they all go out.
-and parallel would continue to run after a cob burns out and redirect the amps to the remaining cobs, there for over amps.
Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the drivers amps output doesn't change reguardless how you wire it, only volts do? now i'm really confused . . . .

M

Mikey 5

-so you're saying if it were serial there isn't a danger of over amperage if one cob burns out, like christmas lights they all go out.
-and parallel would continue to run after a cob burns out and redirect the amps to the remaining cobs, there for over amps.
Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the drivers amps output doesn't change reguardless how you wire it, only volts do? now i'm really confused . . . .
The driver continues to put out the same amps, but, after one of the COBs burn out the current that used to go to the one that burned out is now added to the remaining COBs. This puts them in an over current status (think heating element) and eventually another COB will fail, sending it's current to the remaining, etc...
Growmou5 has a nice vid in this.
parallel wiring @ 13:27

tomiland

tomiland

can anyone tell me what's the interest in using lenses or reflectors? I'm using the leds bare at the moment

M

Mikey 5

can anyone tell me what's the interest in using lenses or reflectors? I'm using the leds bare at the moment
If you hit the COB with water while spraying your plants it might be bad. The lense offers protection. I don't plan on using any unless I get a lot of spill. You can keep the COBs closer to the plants than HPS. I think a lense might filter out some photons unless you got really high quality glass and they are heavy.

tomiland

tomiland

I see. I assumed it only had to do with increasing the photons intensity or something, like a magnifier...if it's for protection, why not use a flat glass ?

M

Mikey 5

I see. I assumed it only had to do with increasing the photons intensity or something, like a magnifier...if it's for protection, why not use a flat glass ?
It doesn't increase the photons it just redirects them, and some are lost because the glass isn't perfectly transparent. It also hampers cooling of the COB. Yes, they both (lense and reflectors) narrow the angle the light projects. But COBs project more downward than HPS bulbs ( 180 degrees vs 360 degrees) anyway. Some HPS fixtures do use flat glass, especially air cooled ones. I think even flat glass reduces photon transmission. HPS has an even bigger problem if it gets wet when hot. It explodes.

L

LFP

Think I can keep say 1 cxb3590 with a CPU cooler+ CPU heatsink? Can't find anything local... and I don't wanna pay 40$ shipping...

L

LFP

I saw at Supra's diy thread that he has a small setup (pag 1) with CXA3070, what I am asking above... Dose the CXB3590 put more heat than CXA3070 ?

tomiland

tomiland

I saw at Supra's diy thread that he has a small setup (pag 1) with CXA3070, what I am asking above... Dose the CXB3590 put more heat than CXA3070 ?
I heard they put less heat actually. But they are way bigger, and only some heatsinks are big enough to accommodate them, I don't know which ones exactly, should say somewhere on a thread.

Reactions: LFP
Top Bottom