Removing 64 Cu. Ft. of soil from a basement?

• Thread starter hashrip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bigcheese510

bigcheese510

A dolly, some totes, and a few 2x6's to run a ramp on the stairs. Be sure to put lids on the totes, and use some sort of strapping to hold them in place while you heft the shits up the stairs.
thats easier said than done. im in construction and we excavate and remove dirt from confined spaces all the time.

ftwendy

ftwendy

Another idea is a shingle elevator.

P1010122

You can rent them, or rig one up yourself. Grab a wagon, smack together a simple wood ramp with channel tracks, tie up some pulleys and feed some rope -- you're in business. Throw in a warn utility winch and you're in style... http://www.warn.com/utility/pullzall/cordless.shtml

I used the pullzall to hoist 12' x 12' sections of 2x6 framed wall solo. It's a handy tool. Just wish I bought the cordless one.

ftwendy

ftwendy

I helped a friend's pops dig out their basement when we were kids... I have a special memory when I smell fresh turned clay. Digging in confined spaces is the worst... no doubt.

I think the issue is hauling the used dirt out - I assume its coming in in bags.

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

I helped a friend's pops dig out their basement when we were kids... I have a special memory when I smell fresh turned clay. Digging in confined spaces is the worst... no doubt.

I think the issue is hauling the used dirt out - I assume its coming in in bags.
haha i live with that clay smell day in and day out.

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

Another idea is a shingle elevator.

View attachment 294294

You can rent them, or rig one up yourself. Grab a wagon, smack together a simple wood ramp with channel tracks, tie up some pulleys and feed some rope -- you're in business. Throw in a warn utility winch and you're in style... http://www.warn.com/utility/pullzall/cordless.shtml

I used the pullzall to hoist 12' x 12' sections of 2x6 framed wall solo. It's a handy tool. Just wish I bought the cordless one.
me and my crew of 3 guys would have that dirt out in 1 hour

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Dam I been shopping at Home depot and never knew you could buy Mexicans there, where do they keep them the garden section? Maybe that's why my wife spends so much time in the garden section. I'm not shopping there any more, :wideyed:

I used the contractor bags to drag it all in and out. I used EDPM as the liner.

Just messing with you on the Mexican thing :)

T

TwoCreeks

Dude, you are way overestimating the weight involved. Soil mixes come in 1.5 cubic foot bags, 64 cubic feet is 43 bags. Depending on moisture content they should weigh 30-40 lbs. apiece. Worst case 43 bags @ 40 lbs. =1746 lbs. Two bags at a time is 22 trips, If you're a young guy that should take a couple of hours....

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
I was thinking the same thing. there is no way a little over 2 yards weighs 5000 lbs unless its soaking wet.

Top Bottom