Replacing air stones with waterfalls in RDWC

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

I promised I'd do a writeup about this, so I figured I'd start the thread on day one of the trial instead of waiting until the end and spoiling the suspense!

I'm currently running a 633gph water pump through 3/4" line to a 6 way copper Pex manifold, where four of the six lines go to elbow fittings that shoot water straight down into the water in each tub, and the other two siamese into two legs of a tee fitting and the third runs water into the old tail bucket to prevent stagnation.

I'll post some pics later, I'm beat from chores, but the first day's lessons came fast; none of the water inlets is running fast enough to provide good volume or churn, so I'm getting a bigger pump tomorrow. Any suggestions as to size?

I'm also concerned that the manifold is part of the restriction, as the inlets are smaller than 3/4" and the outlets are closer to 3/8" inside diameter. This would tend to kill flow rate, still I'm wondering if I should size the manifold up to 1" tubing and run 1/2" lines from that. This would reduce internal restriction and may increase flow rate substantially.

Another thought is to add a venturi injector to the line between pump and tubs. This would ensure optimal oxygenation whether there is a lot of churn or not.

tweedy

tweedy

Ive never been too terribly impressed with pressure of under 1000 gph pumps but increasing pipe size will vastly help out. I've seen it first hand going from 3/4" to 1 1/2" for a main feed. This was off a 1/6th HP flotec 1200 gph pump.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I just replaced the Pex copper manifold with undersized holes with four tees fittings; one inch thru, with a 1/2" off the side. I made a manifold with those and short bits of 1" hose, and used an end cap to ensure all fittings see equal pressure.

I installed a 1340 gph pump and it works GREAT now! I'll try the 633 with the new manifold and see how it does, but with this pump the system is doing everything I want it to.

Sayanora, noisy hot air chump!

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm pleased to report that while the 633 gph water pump doesn't splash and churn quite as vigorously as the 1340 gph unit, it does both entirely sufficiently. Less power, less heat- and the splashing sounds coming from all the tubs are much happier than the dull buzzing / obnoxious grinding of an air pump!

ttystikk

ttystikk

I just cut the cost and complexity of RDWC in half... and no one cares? Seriously?

To recap, I bought some hose and less than $20 in fittings- to replace an air pump that cost over $120 and air stones at $3 a crack. I did upsize my water pump somewhat, but even the bigger unit is less than half the price of an air pump. Yes, that's right- this doesn't even involve running a second water pump- I'm just using the same circulation pump RDWC has always used.

Not only is the oxygenation better but so is the water movement in the bucket, to say nothing of the superior splash and humidification of the environment in the tub above the waterline. Finally, this circulates water within the tub so it continually passes by and through the roots.

Anyone want some used air pumps and stones, cheap?!

kootenainatural

kootenainatural

Savage
Supporter
my good friend baked reality runs a system like this he uses one pump it sits in his resiviour pushes water up to the 4 x2 flood table which stays at a constant level and the water falls back to the resivoiur and he actually has problems when he adds air stones but good show guy and thanks for the info il give him this link

much respect
kootenai

L

larebowm

id like to see this system if youve got pics.im running my own modified version of a flood drain but am always looking for the next best thing.Im also anxious to see what your plants think.

ttystikk

ttystikk

my good friend baked reality runs a system like this he uses one pump it sits in his resiviour pushes water up to the 4 x2 flood table which stays at a constant level and the water falls back to the resivoiur and he actually has problems when he adds air stones but good show guy and thanks for the info il give him this link

much respect
kootenai

I know baked! Sounds like his and mine share some similarities. Mine is a more straightforward 4 tub 27 gallons each RDWC, so not quite like a flood table. Mine has an enclosed lid, flood table doesn't.

kootenainatural

kootenainatural

Savage
Supporter
Ya his tables come with tops he drills 5 inch holes in em for net pot to sit in then the roots dangle from those to the water but il get him in here you guys can chat it up he's a good dude

Much respect
Kootenai

ttystikk

ttystikk

Ya his tables come with tops he drills 5 inch holes in em for net pot to sit in then the roots dangle from those to the water but il get him in here you guys can chat it up he's a good dude

Much respect
Kootenai

If his flood table has a lid, then just continuously running the fill pump and letting excess water drain back through the return/overflow will oxygenate the system just fine. I've heard about issues with trying to oxygenate a 'dead reservoir' style ebb n flood, but I bet they would be solved with a continuous flow approach.

One thing I would change if I were to run this is that in my ebb n flood trays, the inlet and overflow are right next to each other. I'd relocate one of these to the opposite side of the table, so water would flow across and ensure all plants see fresh nutes.

L

larebowm

mines continious flow/two reservoirs/main reservoir fills secondary through shower head until desired level activates bell siphon wich fills growbed activates growbed bell siphon back to main reservoir.time intervals are determined by rate of low to secondary reseervoir so no mechanical timer is used just gravity.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Ty stick, I'm surprised more that you haven't been fluming for years now. You're quite a clever fellow.

Yep, h20 returns can provide rich tdo. But then I'm a soil and aquarium guy.

L

larebowm

I could be wrong im really new at this but i believe waterfall is better for D.O. than fluming.bbut if im wrong send me the info im always learning

ttystikk

ttystikk

i have the flu too. :dead:

Ouch, sorry to hear it brother! Vicks cold n flu is helping, and I guess mine isn't as bad as some because so far I've managed (barely) to avoid throwing up.

I'm so sick I don't even wanna smoke...

Top Bottom