Res Chillers- HP vs. Watts vs. price

• Thread starter strawD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

strawD

Hello farmers, I have recently been shopping around for chillers and would like your advice. When i search different brands and sizes, there is a lot of information that doesnt make complete sense to me.

Chillers are sold in fractions of HP, what does this # mean? is 1/10 hp a certain # of btus or something?

Here are 2 1/10 hp chillers. the first one draws 265 watts, the second one draws 650.

http://www.horticulturesource.com/h...6396/?osCsid=bfc67c6f53f2bcdfe45de17d4b8aee5a
http://www.horticulturesource.com/product_info.php?products_id=959

when you move up to each companies 1/4 hp model, the active aqua rises to 280w, while the ecoplus is still 650w.

http://www.horticulturesource.com/e...p957/?osCsid=3960fd0cd49b49ccb3d9596b536b7a53
http://www.horticulturesource.com/h...6397/?osCsid=bfc67c6f53f2bcdfe45de17d4b8aee5a

SO my main q's are, what are the differences between different size and brand chillers, since its not just more power the larger size you get. Also does anyone reccomend particular brands? the active aqua is listed on that site for 300, but after shipping and stuff, i could by it at my local store for the same price (i get 10% off, comes to around 340) and still have the warranty so that sounds nice. on the otherhand, if its underpowered and the ecoplus is way better, it'd probably be worth the extra #.

I will be running 2x 4 site DIY "uc" style systems, as well as a 10 gallon veg system. I will be cooling my main top off reservoir (30 gal) and then pumping that through the systems w/ cool coils. All systems and the cool water lines will be insulated with reflectix. I have 2x 600w lights will probably switch 1 or 2 of them to 1k's for the winter, then back next spring.

any thoughts?

S

strawD

has anyone here used a "jebo" brand chiller? not even sure if you can get them here, i just saw some discussion of them on aquarium forums.

here is a link to a list of their chillers. if you look at the chart, the 1/6hp model draws more amps than the 1/4 hp model? and the same as the 1/2 hp model.

Systems.htm

when i try to search for one for sale, theres lots of jebo aquarium parts and stores, but none sell the chillers. the main reason i'm interested in them is they run on 220/240 and draw low amps.

does anyone have a chiller that is 1/4 hp or smaller that runs on 220/240?

S

strawD

okay can anyone at least tell me if you think a 1/10 hp chiller will be enough power for this application? about 25 gallons of water in the main top off res (RO water) being chilled, then another pump pumping it through cool coils in a total of 40 gallons of reservoir water under a total of 1400-2400 watts. its in a basement w/ reasonable temps, aircooled lights, and reflectix on the systems.

I

Integra21

The hp and wattage are more just on the power side of things. Most chillers have rating that will cool x amount of gallons x degrees. Find one that meets your needs based off of those numbers or if you call customer support and tell them what it needs to cool, they can just plug the numbers in and tell you exactly what you need.

B

Bobby Smith

No, a 1/10th HP will not be sufficient for that application.

S

strawD

The hp and wattage are more just on the power side of things.

duh, i'm aware of that. HP is 12,000 BTU's of cooling power. my question was why are different manufacturers chillers that are rated at the same HP power drawing such wildly differernt watts, and if there are certain brands that are more solid on their rating, versus some that barely get their rating. (does a 1/10 hp model that draws 650 watts cool way more effectively than one that draws 265w, or just wast electricity?)

bobby smith, what size would you suggest? it seems like people use 1/4 hp size chillers for like 6 site ucs' w/ 5k. The 1/10 model ecoplus chillers say they can cool 170 gallons 10 degrees. i'll have a total of 65 gallons.

B

Bobby Smith

duh, i'm aware of that. HP is 12,000 BTU's of cooling power. my question was why are different manufacturers chillers that are rated at the same HP power drawing such wildly differernt watts, and if there are certain brands that are more solid on their rating, versus some that barely get their rating. (does a 1/10 hp model that draws 650 watts cool way more effectively than one that draws 265w, or just wast electricity?)

bobby smith, what size would you suggest? it seems like people use 1/4 hp size chillers for like 6 site ucs' w/ 5k. The 1/10 model ecoplus chillers say they can cool 170 gallons 10 degrees. i'll have a total of 65 gallons.

I bought two chillers last week (and did shit tons of research) but have yet to ever use one, so take that into consideration when reading this.

Firstly, that rudeness to Integra wasn't necessary - your questions didn't reveal if you were aware of that fact or not.

Anyways, there are a shitload of factors to take into consideration - is your reservoir insulated? What type of system are you using? A LP aero/RDWC that is constantly moving water and getting heat added with pumps is gonna need a larger chiller than an E&F where the reservoir is basically stagnant for hours at a time, all else equal.

For 65 gallons, a 1/4HP chiller *should* do whatcha need out of it, but if you have the money and electrical to handle 1/2HP, that's the safer call and that will certainly be able to do anything you need it to - unfortunately, there's no way to guarantee performance and you just need to give it a shot.

As an aside, those aquarium chillers are based off of aquarium heat loads and lighting - those recommendations are not nearly strong enough for intense HID lighting.

S

strawD

Firstly, that rudeness to Integra wasn't necessary - your questions didn't reveal if you were aware of that fact or not.

you're right. i should have started my post by explaining, okay, i know that watts are power, whats next?

yeah i'm aware that HP are #'s of BTU's but my questions are how are these ratings aquired and a comparison of the efficiency of different manufacturers.

also, no hating here, but it seemed rediculous "just call up customer service and tell them what you need" who would i call? the manufacturers? "uh yeah, i'm growing a few pounds of weed, will this do?" and then call each different manufacturer and explain that i grow and want to yak w/ them? they would not understand the systems i am using and would probably try to oversell me a bigger unit.

Anyways, there are a shitload of factors to take into consideration - is your reservoir insulated? What type of system are you using?

I will be running 2x 4 site DIY "uc" style systems, as well as a 10 gallon veg system. I will be cooling my main top off reservoir (30 gal) and then pumping that through the systems w/ cool coils. All systems and the cool water lines will be insulated with reflectix. I have 2x 600w lights will probably switch 1 or 2 of them to 1k's for the winter, then back next spring.

any thoughts?

I bought two chillers last week (and did shit tons of research) but have yet to ever use one, so take that into consideration when reading this.

thanks, i surely will. I'm mostly looking for people with actual experience using chillers. for example, whats the biggest rez someones used a 1/4hp on, and how effective was it? how many lights, was the system insulated etc? any one with personal experience with a 1/10th hp? I'm working in a basement w/ concrete floors in the mountains in the north, so my ambient temps and humidity are pretty low.

I

Integra21

you're right. i should have started my post by explaining, okay, i know that watts are power, whats next?

yeah i'm aware that HP are #'s of BTU's but my questions are how are these ratings aquired and a comparison of the efficiency of different manufacturers.

also, no hating here, but it seemed rediculous "just call up customer service and tell them what you need" who would i call? the manufacturers? "uh yeah, i'm growing a few pounds of weed, will this do?" and then call each different manufacturer and explain that i grow and want to yak w/ them? they would not understand the systems i am using and would probably try to oversell me a bigger unit.

thanks, i surely will. I'm mostly looking for people with actual experience using chillers. for example, whats the biggest rez someones used a 1/4hp on, and how effective was it? how many lights, was the system insulated etc? any one with personal experience with a 1/10th hp? I'm working in a basement w/ concrete floors in the mountains in the north, so my ambient temps and humidity are pretty low.

wow, way to ask for help and bash the people who take the time to try. iassumed that since you had to ask, you were to dumb to figure it our for yourself. so istarted simple. so i'll try to spell it out with crayons. companies will use parts from other models like cooling coils and compressors so they are easier to repair and to keep their costs down by stocking lets say 3 different compressors instead of 12. thats how you end up with matching power draws for different models. As far as calling someone, if your first assumtion was to call random people and tell them you are growing herb, you probly shouldnt be growing. Use you brain a little. For example, iam about to water cool my whole room and called Hydro Innovations. told them the equipment Iwas using and what iwanted to cool(common sense says dont tell them what you're growin, just say your garden, and dont just start giving youy ssn, dl#, and all the other ridiculous shit you implied)and they added up the btu load in their program and told me exactly what my cooling needs were and recommended a few different chillers that would work for me. whole conversation took about 3 minutes. saves you all the work. but iguess thats what iget for giving simple solutions to the simple minded.

B

Bobby Smith

I can vouch for HydroInnovations as well - their email service is VERY prompt and professional as well.

Honestly, you should be less of a dick - I've found people like to help nice people more than dicks.

Anyways, good luck.

S

strawD

companies will use parts from other models like cooling coils and compressors so they are easier to repair and to keep their costs down by stocking lets say 3 different compressors instead of 12. thats how you end up with matching power draws for different models.

this is the first useful info in this post. thank you. seriously. i had assumed something like this, and so it seems to me like there are 2 important parts in the chiller, 1 is how much/what shape/style the refridgereant is in and the other part is the compressor and that has to do w/ how much power is being used.

So could we assume that models with lower power draws have more refridgerant? might run more efficiently? or just underpowered?

As far as calling someone, if your first assumtion was to call random people and tell them you are growing herb, you probly shouldnt be growing. Use you brain a little. ...
(common sense says dont tell them what you're growin, just say your garden, and dont just start giving youy ssn, dl#, and all the other ridiculous shit you implied)and they added up the btu load in their program and told me exactly what my cooling needs were and recommended a few different chillers that would work for me. whole conversation took about 3 minutes. saves you all the work. but iguess thats what iget for giving simple solutions to the simple minded.

wow, i implied i wanted to share my ssn with people?

Most of the companies i've looked at are involved in the aquarium industry, so they wouldnt necissarily be educated on the uses and needs of their chillers in my application. As far as a knowledgable distro goes that carries a variety of chillers, i also dont know of any. if you do, then that info would certainly be useful.

Suggesting a specific company or resource, (hydroinnovations) is actually useful, you should have started with that. I'm aware that they make good products and are fully in tune with the needs of gardeners, but i was just cautious of them because grow-industry specific companies have a way of being overpriced sometimes for the same thing that can be gotten from other industries. i'll give them a call and see what they suggest.

Bobby, what size chillers did you buy, and what are your intended uses for them?

Not trying to be mean, i started off a bit sarcastic and you guys got offended. way to take everything on the internet too seriously.

now, back to where this all started. does anyone with actual small to medium sized chiller experience have any brand pro's or cons? anything?

B

Bobby Smith

I bought a 1/15th HP chiller to use with my EZ Clone 120 (bout 12 gallons, running under fluros), and I bought a 1/8th HP Chiller to cool a ~70ish gallon reservoir which will be running a low pressure aero/NFT in a vertical PVC octagon (lit by 4 600s, so there's a decent heat load there).

The 1/8th chiller is most likely somewhat undersized for what I need, but it will be assisted by a 50' stainless steel coil (a wort chiller) which will have 55-60F tap water pumped through it for the few minutes every hour that my watercooled CO2 generator runs - I'm guessing that the two of those together can keep my insulated reservoir cool with lights on temps of 80F and lights off of 70F.

Also, it's starting to be fall here with winter right around the corner, so that should help.

I'm most likely going to plumb two 40 gallon reservoirs together, so the chiller will only need to keep 40 gallons cool at any one time.

I think I'll be all right, but only time will tell (got less than two weeks until my clones are ready to go into my system, so you should ask me again in about 10 days).

BTW, not to state the obvious, but this site is overflowing with UC grows and people using chillers with them - if I were you, I'd probably do a little more research as to what size chiller they're using (although they're by and large using 2 and 3x the wattage that you are).

S

Socachi

Straw I've had the same concerns over chillers. What I did was call Chill King & JBJ they both can help along w reading different UC journals which has already been rec. CK's don't make em that small but can help in pointing you in the right direction. Just talk in general terms and your good.
Listen to the old timers, great info can be had.
I'm a noob w hydro, I'll be goin w a UC soon also. Good luck... Socachi

Top Bottom