Residue in my 14 gallon resevoir.

• Thread starter ThatRapperWeed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Hi all, running some tests on my first resevoir I've ever used for auto watering. I recently had my stirring pump set to 5 minutes on 5 minutes off continuously and after a week, noticed some nutrient residue on the bottom of the resevoir. Is this normal? Should I switch to 3 minutes on 3 minutes off? I did have the pump set up poorly at first (it was shooting water up vertically rather than horizontally). I'm about to set up my actual run with this setup so I want to ensure it's smooth sailing. Any suggestions? I'm using a cheap vivosun pump for my stirring pump (I know vivosun sucks but it does seem to have pretty good power for my 14 gal res). I'm using Advanced Nutrients for this run as I have some leftover before I switch to another brand.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Pictures? Is it slimy, hard, what color? Are you running microbes? Is the system light proof?
It felt slightly slimy, my bad, I should've taken a pic, I had to clean it quick and leave to go out of town. It was kind of dark. I'm using voodoo juice, B-52 and Sensi coco A+B. There shouldn't be any light getting into my res, it's dark blue and I painted the lid matte black. (it was partly see through before)

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

It felt slightly slimy, my bad, I should've taken a pic, I had to clean it quick and leave to go out of town. It was kind of dark. I'm using voodoo juice, B-52 and Sensi coco A+B. There shouldn't be any light getting into my res, it's dark blue and I painted the lid matte black. (it was partly see through before)
Well like I said, it will be hard to tell if you get root rot. High ppms will also tint the roots. Idk man, I'll let the coco guys help ya. I'm actually trying to understand it myself.

Ponky

Ponky

Oh another thing is surface turbidity. You want the surface tension broken and turning over. Using the aerator venturi on the pump is also a good idea. To keep the water from getting anerobic. If it's not moving the surface water enough it could cause bacteria growth.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Oh another thing is surface turbidity. You want the surface tension broken and turning over. Using the aerator venturi on the pump is also a good idea. To keep the water from getting anerobic. If it's not moving the surface water enough it could cause bacteria growth.
Good to know, thank you man, that makes sense. I'll make sure it's making some waves.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Just cause I'm a noob with the pumps, would that be .51" .62" or .74" attachment? I'm guessing the .51 cause it'll cause more pressure?

Ponky

Ponky

Just cause I'm a noob with the pumps, would that be .51" .62" or .74" attachment? I'm guessing the .51 cause it'll cause more pressure?
Screenshot 20210912 120053 Google

I typically use these small disposable pumps. And they just have a tube that goes to the surface and the venturi effect draws the bubbles down. So I would guess your largest diameter output would give you the best effect. Not sure exactly what kind you're using.
Screenshot 20210912 120053 Google

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

View attachment 1167966
I typically use these small disposable pumps. And they just have a tube that goes to the surface and the venturi effect draws the bubbles down. So I would guess your largest diameter output would give you the best effect. Not sure exactly what kind you're using. View attachment 1167966
Thank you. This is the one I have since my res is so small.

Ponky

Ponky

Sheeeit. That one doesn't have the venturi. And you need that one blowing onto the bottom to stir stuff up. And that won't be enough to agitate the surface. You might want to add air stones. Or grab another 20 dollar vivosun pump and get one with the venturi nossle and use it to turn over the water closer to the surface. Leave the green one at the bottom to keep the food moving.

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Are you using any type of hydro guard. It’s expensive by my res was always amazing even without changing and only running 2 d battery sized air stones. You’ll end up with roots like this for a 2 foot plant. I do suggest an opaque bucket.

1D1C083F 7A52 4287 B3BB 3B5C8615A31D
234FDC89 1943 4123 BEC6 0C3ADA9CC4DD
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Sheeeit. That one doesn't have the venturi. And you need that one blowing onto the bottom to stir stuff up. And that won't be enough to agitate the surface. You might want to add air stones. Or grab another 20 dollar vivosun pump and get one with the venturi nossle and use it to turn over the water closer to the surface. Leave the green one at the bottom to keep the food moving.
Any recommendations on one I can find on Amazon US? I don't mind buying a different one but I don't know how to tell if it has the venturi.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Thank you man. I like the idea of one on the bottom and one on top. Maybe I'll just keep mine for the bottom and grab one of these to add on. Is there a way to keep it stirring the water closer to the top as the water drains? I'm just picturing as the water drains, the pump won't be touching anymore.

Top Bottom