Results Of My First Aerated Compost Tea Brew

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perception

Perception

Finally got all of my pieces together to run a batch of Aerated Compost Tea. Doing a 5gallon brew. Added 1 cup of my homemade garden compost, and 1 cup of vermicompost (store bought). I mixed the compost with a little oat bran and some very dilute black strap molasses + water, and let it sit for 24 hours. Then dropped it in to the tea bag and brewer this morning. I added .5% unsulphured Black Strap Molasses to the brew, but no other foods.

I did a quick microscope scan after 30 minutes (see photo below), and am seeing a small amount of bacteria. I saw a single hyphal strand, and zero protozoa. Will post microscope photos at 12hr, 24hr, & 36hr.

Results of my first aerated compost tea brew
Results of my first aerated compost tea brew 2
Results of my first aerated compost tea brew 3
Results of my first aerated compost tea brew 4
Results of my first aerated compost tea brew 5
Results of my first aerated compost tea brew 6

Perception

Perception

Sweet, thanks @DrMcSkunkins . I followed Tim Wilson's and Elaine Ingham's sites for getting started - and read Teaming With Microbes. I'll read through your thread, and will definitely experiment with some other foods in the future. Started simple for this run.

12 hour update
Looking pretty good. I could only find one hyphal strand, and still no Protozoa, but the bacteria is really growing! Most of what I see look like little hotdog shaped bacteria. My microscope is very basic, and it's hard to see the bacteria, but I used some lighting filters on my phone and you can see the bacteria pretty well in the 2nd photo below.

Last edited:
tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

very cool stuff for sure im trying to start learning about teas do u use them as your main source of nute or u add it in with stuff on feeding as well do u use it in flower??? sry about all the ?? hon ty for your time

Perception

Perception

I'm just going to water and foliar spray everything (indoor cannabis and outdoor veggie garden). I just up-potted my vegetative cannabis plants to 3 gallon fabric pots that were mixed and sat outside on the earth for a month. Lots of little critters in the pots now. This compost brew is to kick them off strong with some good biodiversity. Not sure what my continuing regiment will be.

24hr update:
The number of bacteria have increased a little, but the biggest change is the increase in biodiversity! I'm seeing different shapes of bacteria that move at different speeds. Also found a nematode and Protozoa.

Does anyone know what the small, fast moving microbes are? Are they Protozoa? They are the same size as bacteria, but zoom around really quickly. I wasn't sure if Protozoa could be that small.

I got lucky with a video, and caught a Protozoa messin with a nematode. Check out the bacteria in background too. I'm trying to get it to upload. May need to use YouTube. Here is a pic of nematode though.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Fast movers may be Flagellates.

Flagellates

euglena_60.jpg

Identification

Flagellates are single-celled protists with one or more flagella, whip-like organelles often used for propulsion. The flagella is used for movement through the liquid. Some flagellates live as colonial entities, while others function as a single cell. Most are free-living organisms, however, a number are parasitic or pathogenic for animals and humans. They multiply by binary fission and some species posses cyst stages. Flagellates range in size from 5-20 µm. Many flagellates are able to feed autotrophically as well as heterotrophically.

There are two primary groups of flagellates. The Peranema belongs to the group which ingests its food. The other group of flagellates is more like bacteria. They don't ingest whole food. They take in food that is already partially "digested." Dinoflagellates are important primary producers (photosynthesizers) in lakes and oceans, yet they can also ingest prey and feed in an animal-like fashion.

How to find them:

Microscopic examination of a wet mount. Some of the larger amoebae can be seen at 40-100x and 200x. Sometimes there may be tons of really small flagellates that require the use of 400x or even 1000x in order to clearly see them.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm just going to water and foliar spray everything (indoor cannabis and outdoor veggie garden). I just up-potted my vegetative cannabis plants to 3 gallon fabric pots that were mixed and sat outside on the earth for a month. Lots of little critters in the pots now. This compost brew is to kick them off strong with some good biodiversity. Not sure what my continuing regiment will be.

24hr update:
The number of bacteria have increased a little, but the biggest change is the increase in biodiversity! I'm seeing different shapes of bacteria that move at different speeds. Also found a nematode and Protozoa.

Does anyone know what the small, fast moving microbes are? Are they Protozoa? They are the same size as bacteria, but zoom around really quickly. I wasn't sure if Protozoa could be that small.

I got lucky with a video, and caught a Protozoa messin with a nematode. Check out the bacteria in background too. I'm trying to get it to upload. May need to use YouTube. Here is a pic of nematode though.

View attachment 629806
Great choice using your botanical teas as a foliar application. Lots of good comes from soil drenching as well but foliar is a great way to ward off pests and other pathogens on leaf surface and offers great protection.

Perception

Perception

36hr Update:
Did a final microscope scan today before applying to garden(s) at the 36 hour mark. I was surprised to find that the bacteria count seemed to be the same, or possibly even less, but there was MUCH more protozoa. At 400x, I was sometimes seeing 3 to 4 protozoa per frame. Is it possible that the protozoa multiplied, and were eating up the bacteria?

No hyphal strands found. I think this was primarily a result of the source compost not having a lot of fungus. I went pretty light with the molasses too - About .30%. So the bacteria may have just run out of food. I look forward to the next batch, and trying to do better.

Here are a couple cool videos of protozoa. I think that the first video could be of an amoeba (right at the tip of the pointer. Not the protozoa flipping out). Thoughts?

Perception

Perception

I could be crazy, but I think the compost tea is partially taking care of a powdery mildew problem I had on my outdoor squash plants. I used a watering can for the garden, although in hindsight, I should have used my pump sprayer to foliar feed, as most of the water rolled off the leaves when using a watering can. I DID use a sprayer for foliar feeding on my cannabis plants though, and the ACT stuck to the leaves much better.

In the next two photos, I think you can see where the ACT poured on the squash leaves and rolled off, leaving a trail where the powdery mildew died. Hard to say for sure though.

The following photo is of the cannabis leaves the morning after foliar spraying. You can see that the spray left a nice residue on the leaves.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not with the air on, but should the power suddenly be cut off...?

I spent many years working the aquatic ornamental trade, both retail fish shops and wholesale. I've been zapped more times than I can recall, and I've seen more air pumps ruined by backflow (even WITH the check valve!) than I care to recall. Better safe than sorry in my world.

If the pump is at the same level as the bucket, put a loop in the air line, again, just in case.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Most welcome. When I was taking my scuba teaching class (to become a scuba teacher) I earned the nickname of Safety Mom. I'm all about mitigating risks. :)

Ecompost

Ecompost

36hr Update:
Did a final microscope scan today before applying to garden(s) at the 36 hour mark. I was surprised to find that the bacteria count seemed to be the same, or possibly even less, but there was MUCH more protozoa. At 400x, I was sometimes seeing 3 to 4 protozoa per frame. Is it possible that the protozoa multiplied, and were eating up the bacteria?

No hyphal strands found. I think this was primarily a result of the source compost not having a lot of fungus. I went pretty light with the molasses too - About .30%. So the bacteria may have just run out of food. I look forward to the next batch, and trying to do better.

Here are a couple cool videos of protozoa. I think that the first video could be of an amoeba (right at the tip of the pointer. Not the protozoa flipping out). Thoughts?

at 36 hours, can you tell me what inputs you used for the volume of water? Sorry i dont have much time to read pages of posts etc so perhaps you've said already, sorry in advance if you are repeating yourself for my benefit.
You may be breeding Cilliate protozoa buddy, this is a sign the ACT is going bad. You want to aim for all three groups and you are clearing missing fungal mass, but you really want to limit your cilliates whatever the case. The ACT can still be used without fungus, for example on early successional plants like Brassicas. If you see the odd one, dont panic, but if you have more in any single field of vision, you should dispose of the ACT in an extremely considered way. EG treat it like it was a Na rich media and dont just chuck it.
As biological growers we must equally act with the up most sensitivity regarding our activity. Just chucking anaerobic ACT about the place is biological warfare mate.

Let me know what you used to make the tea, I need the exact weights or volumes. Believe it or not, this is a critical point of tea, many commercial teas are not representative of enough research if you ask me, this leads home users to taking a pop but typically the biggest error is too much organic matter to water and not enough air.

Peace
Eco

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

lol ^^^

The microbe content of each type of tea will be different. for instance the material you use for compost may be way different then the material i use
One of the reported benefits of compost tea are the ‘microbes’. If we assume this to be true then is it not important to know which microbes are in the tea? It certainly is. The problem is that unless you have a fairly sophisticated lab you won’t know this. Home gardeners have no way to know which microbes are in their tea.
There is a new gardening trend of adding microbes to the soil under the assumption that the soil ‘needs microbes
Personally the goal is maintaining the already living microbes and letting nature do the rest
if you think about it for a second 5 gallons of living soil already contains 3 trillion 860 billion microbes .

Think about what you are doing when you make the tea. You are creating an incubator for microbes. You are providing the moisture, the food and the right oxygen levels to grow microbes. But which microbes are you growing? You have no idea know.

The reality is that along with the ‘good’ microbes you might also be growing ’harmful’ ones. You could be growing microbes that will make you or your plants sick. Tea that is aerated can contain Salmonella and E. coli both of which can prove to be deadly to humans. Remember the contaminated lettuce? That was E. coli contamination. You could also be growing microbes that are harmful to plants.

Then we get into fungi lol like we need to make them also seriously fungi will multiply every 10 mins naturally WTF do we need to make any for ???

For instance Mycorrhiza is a type of fungi that is very important for plant growth. Companies have started packaging them and promoting them to consumers. At first they were sold as an additive to soil, but now you can find them added to many soil and soiless products.

Your soil already has mycorrhiza so you don’t need to add them. really you don't its just a gimmic

There are hundreds and maybe even thousands of different types of mycorrhiza, some of which are very specific to certain varieties of plants. Commercial products, at best, contain 4 types. Many products contain fewer types. You don’t know that the ones in the pail are the ones your plant needs!

Mycorrhiza are fairly sensitive to high temperatures. If the container holding them gets too warm, like sitting on a truck too long, they die. You have no way of knowing that the product you buy actually contains living mycorrhiza. It may just be a very expensive, useless white powder

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I could be crazy, but I think the compost tea is partially taking care of a powdery mildew problem I had on my outdoor squash plants.
IIRC, Cucurbits is one of the groups of plants for which using compost tea against diseases like PM is effective. So is milk foliar, 10%. It is specific to the species, so to speak.

I missed all those pix, now I can see them! How did you get such great photos?

Perception

Perception

I missed all those pix, now I can see them! How did you get such great photos?

An iPhone held up to the microscope eye piece, LoL!

@Ecompost
Input:
- 2 cups compost to 5gal water ( 2.38% soil to H2O)
--> 1 cup compost from garden compost pile
--> 1 cup organic sore bought vermicompost.
- .35 % unsulphered black strap molasses (~4 tablespoons to the 5 gallons)

Thanks for the replies everyone. If things did actually go south, then I'll use this as a learning experience. I'm almost happy if it was a bad batch, because now I'll know what bad means. Cannabis plants look fine and happy even after watering them with it. It's all a learning process, and sometimes we have to fail a few times in order to know when we are succeeding.

Top Bottom