Results Of My First Aerated Compost Tea Brew

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ecompost

Ecompost

If you don't have any luck w the milk or other suggestions there is an organic approved fungicide called Kumulus it's a sulfur concentrate. I'll spray it one time before flip and never see pm. I've also used it on contaminated babies I've got from friends. Just go very light:D
I fail to see how this can be classified as Organic, but then its a slippery term, i think we can agree on this. Sulfur is a widespread, non selective fungicide, which for me means its not on the table.
Far easier to use a media that has base O2 of 6ppms, a canopy temp of 25c or below, a consistent soil moisture of 40-60% and or soil which has been treated with for example, pseudomonas fluorescens or the above mentioned bacillus
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1049964409002382

get the room right, never get the mold problem.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Awesome, thanks everyone.

Ecompost - totally agree about the stress. I've changed some environmental conditions to try and alleviate things (have increased fresh air exchange), and adjusted the watering regiment a little. Things are better, although still battling the PM. I may start using Blumats for auto-watering to keep things consistent.

Seamaiden - Thanks for the ideas. I brewed up some Nettle & Comfrey tea, and foliar sprayed. It knocked back the PM by about 90% overnight. It was really amazing actually. Alas, it's still trying to creep in here and there. But at least I have it under control for the time being.

Doing an ACT brew this weekend, but most of it will be going on the lawn & garden, haha. Will foliar spray the cannabis and add a little to soil too. Will post any results. But as eCompost said, I believe environmental conditions are the main culprit.
If the PM shows up again, would you be game to try a control? Spray some plants with just plain water, and others with the tea you made above. I'd love to see at least some anecdotal evidence that teas will really work.
Oh, but back to the question - has anyone ever used myco-starters in an ACT brew to boost fungal hyphae?
Not commercially packaged, only worm castings. Do those count?
if I am sharing old news, then sorry, but take a look at a Vapor Pressure Deficit Chart since this will help you track you temp to RH levels. If you can try to keep in the right range, you will get far more benefit than any product might otherwise offer.
Hey! I know the guy who runs this site. :D Gotta let him know he's being referenced.

Ecompost

Ecompost

It's approved for organic food production in Canada and US but yea it's definitely non selective. However I figure since sulfur is a macronutrient- a plant uses a good amount of sulfur -it can't be that bad to spray on veg plants long before they have any flowers ,it's almost a foliar feed. I haven't dealt w PM in many years I 100% agree that its environmental and suspect I probably wouldn't get it even if I didn't spray but I'm afraid not to lol. I'll mix it at 1/4strength or less and very lightly spray (maybe 100ml of solution per large plant) from beneath one time before flip. I live in an unpopulated area w a lot of deciduous trees and small bushes that have been covered in PM for the last few months there's literally pm a few feet away from a small intake I have and it still doesn't end up growing on my plants so I definitely think the environment in my room isn't conducive to it. I've never actually tried a bacillus product for pm mostly because of a bad experience my friend had w Serenade said it made his bud smell bad and it didn't help reduce the pm either but he wasn't the greatest grower so that's not really a fair assessment on my part. I'd love to try some of your products but I'm in BC Canada and our available options are pretty limited. Peace:D
in my experience, certain areas are prone by nature, for example, I have a border that is prone to white mold. Try as I might, I can not eradicate the spores entirely. I have literally removed the soil and started again, the problem just came back. It is a trap for air, for water, for stillness, I have to use an IPM all year every year. I am quite literally running out of ideas :-)
perhaps tho it is fixed, but I use the IPM buddy, when i stopped before, I got the terror back LOL. Thats was sometime ago, but I better the devil i know :-)

Ecompost

Ecompost

If the PM shows up again, would you be game to try a control? Spray some plants with just plain water, and others with the tea you made above. I'd love to see at least some anecdotal evidence that teas will really work.

Not commercially packaged, only worm castings. Do those count?

Hey! I know the guy who runs this site. :D Gotta let him know he's being referenced.
he is a ace tell him i said he is great :-) people like him making data accessible is just the ticket :-)

Perception

Perception

Just a note on the PM situation: haven't gotten around to calculating the VPD yet (was too busy aerating and seeding my lawn this weekend), but I'm now opening the veg closet door when the flowering lights are on in the room (flower in room, veg in associated closet) and PM has almost totally disappeared. Most likely a VPD issue, since it got better with more fresh air.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Fantastic, what a simple fix!
he is a ace tell him i said he is great :) people like him making data accessible is just the ticket :)
I will, and I know how happy that will make him. :D

Ecompost

Ecompost

Fantastic, what a simple fix!

I will, and I know how happy that will make him. :D
he and you are good people. Helpjng people understand and go beyond idol consumption, this is whats required so we can forgo the junk and so waste :-) tell him i said hi

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
There have been very mixed results with regard to the research on using AACTs to control stuff like PM. I'd try the milk trick first m'self. Or high pH water.
Hey Sea, and you are correct. I have been doing a lot of research on AACT from numerous sources and at best, all I can find is mostly anecdotal claims to the efficacy of any of the claimed bennies using AACT. But with that said, I'm gonna keep brewin. :)

Homesteader

Homesteader

Just a note on the PM situation: haven't gotten around to calculating the VPD yet (was too busy aerating and seeding my lawn this weekend), but I'm now opening the veg closet door when the flowering lights are on in the room (flower in room, veg in associated closet) and PM has almost totally disappeared. Most likely a VPD issue, since it got better with more fresh air.
You may want to think about running a HEPA in your room as the spores are most likely present still.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey Sea, and you are correct. I have been doing a lot of research on AACT from numerous sources and at best, all I can find is mostly anecdotal claims to the efficacy of any of the claimed bennies using AACT. But with that said, I'm gonna keep brewin. :)
Same here, and I'll tell you why. As I've mentioned, my mom's a registered dietitian. She's aged, and so has had to pretty much make her own work. That has, through a somewhat twisty route, led her down the path of gut microbial behavior and effects. Right now I find it impossible to believe that, say in the instance of PM, there aren't any other organisms that might depress the fruiting bodies very easily for us.

Ecompost

Ecompost

I might remind the class that there is no known garlic based product for plant pest prevention either, this is due entirely to science and its lack of motivation to support open source remedies *coughs* I mean try as they might....., but they just cant tell you what the mechanisms are and so if they might also be toxic....ergo you will not find a salable garlic based IPM.
I think one must acknowledge that much of what is happening around us, is little understood by anyone and that it is also true those that might know, see more profit in you not :)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I might remind the class that there is no known garlic based product for plant pest prevention either, this is due entirely to science and its lack of motivation to support open source remedies *coughs* I mean try as they might....., but they just cant tell you what the mechanisms are and so if they might also be toxic....ergo you will not find a salable garlic based IPM.
I think one must acknowledge that much of what is happening around us, is little understood by anyone and that it is also true those that might know, see more profit in you not :)
Words of wisdom from my favorite microbe man!!!! How be things on other side of the pond bro.? Good to see you. :cool:

Perception

Perception

Thanks for all the insight everyone. Things are really "clicking" in my head. After reading through everyone's suggestions/articles, and trying some things, it's become apparent to me that finding the source of the problem is the key, rather than treating the symptoms. Anti-microbial sprays definitely help to control the PM, but I've figured out the importance of VPD + air exchange/circulation + temps. I've made several changes to my vegetative environment, and the PM is fully under control now. The final piece of the puzzle was the fact that I was NOT running my intake/exhaust fan in the vegetative closet during the 6 hour dark cycle. Leaving it on 24/7 was the final piece of the puzzle.

But it all makes sense now. I'm on my second grow now, and all the things that seemed so confusing in regards to environment are suddenly seeming much more simple. Thanks a ton!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for all the insight everyone. Things are really "clicking" in my head. After reading through everyone's suggestions/articles, and trying some things, it's become apparent to me that finding the source of the problem is the key, rather than treating the symptoms. Anti-microbial sprays definitely help to control the PM, but I've figured out the importance of VPD + air exchange/circulation + temps. I've made several changes to my vegetative environment, and the PM is fully under control now. The final piece of the puzzle was the fact that I was NOT running my intake/exhaust fan in the vegetative closet during the 6 hour dark cycle. Leaving it on 24/7 was the final piece of the puzzle.

But it all makes sense now. I'm on my second grow now, and all the things that seemed so confusing in regards to environment are suddenly seeming much more simple. Thanks a ton!
Ahhhh grasshoppa you are there lol Yes indeed, having air exchange during lights off as well as daytime is a key factor to keeping your Rh from going thru the roof. Control the Rh with proper air exchange and you should be able to keep PM at bay.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Words of wisdom from my favorite microbe man!!!! How be things on other side of the pond bro.? Good to see you. :cool:
yeah all good buddy, just getting ready to move some of the back office and lab kit. oh and the mushrooms are coming to a new home, well expansion. We are still in Esti with that as well, but I need to escape the winter bro so heading south for a few months at least

Ecompost

Ecompost

you are very welcome buddy. thats how this works, we learn, you learn, the next one learns, we all get better, food gets better, meds get better, we get better...I see no contest, if there is one then for me its how many people can we get to really understand. There will always be a swinging system, so for the right people, I hope thats us, there will always be a market for say good sources of NPK. However, we must not for one second imagine it is NPK and bottles that grow plants. They sure can help us out, but we should only use them when we know we have a deficit in the natural order.
So if we need 300ppm N to gorw blah, but our last bio mass decays only to 270ppms, we have a shortfall, not just the 30ppms, but the BioN+8 too. ergo there will always be nutrients. unless we dont want food?
What do pests tell us? Something is wrong, something environmental has tipped over, this might be a plant, but it might be air in the soil, or a lack of biology and so partners. if we have problems, this means something is wrong. We can buy a plaster, or we can try to stop cutting ourselves. Both are doable, and so solutions, one is a little more complete than the other tho.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
you are very welcome buddy. thats how this works, we learn, you learn, the next one learns, we all get better, food gets better, meds get better, we get better...I see no contest, if there is one then for me its how many people can we get to really understand. There will always be a swinging system, so for the right people, I hope thats us, there will always be a market for say good sources of NPK. However, we must not for one second imagine it is NPK and bottles that grow plants. They sure can help us out, but we should only use them when we know we have a deficit in the natural order.
So if we need 300ppm N to gorw blah, but our last bio mass decays only to 270ppms, we have a shortfall, not just the 30ppms, but the BioN+8 too. ergo there will always be nutrients. unless we dont want food?
What do pests tell us? Something is wrong, something environmental has tipped over, this might be a plant, but it might be air in the soil, or a lack of biology and so partners. if we have problems, this means something is wrong. We can buy a plaster, or we can try to stop cutting ourselves. Both are doable, and so solutions, one is a little more complete than the other tho.
You know man, I would love to be able to meet you some day and have a proper session. If you ever get to this side of the pond you will have a place to stay with my Fam here. Door is open amigo!!!

Top Bottom