reusing soil???

• Thread starter kindindy123
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BobbyHopkins

Hey Bobby, What is studge? ... and Bam!! sounds even easier than EM1.

I mean whatever nutrients you want to mix in. Vermiblend is a good thing to throw in there. It doesn't seem necessary to mix in nutrients in the dirt if you have an extensive line of feeds that mix in the water. I could be wrong though.

A day after harvest, I remove the root balls loosen up the dirt and replant right into the blinking period, which lasts 14-24 hours depending on how long until 7 PM comes around. There is never a day where plants aren't flowering.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Maybe some people don't want to spend $600 on soil every two months if they don't have to?
Maybe some people don't want to lug 1000 pounds of soil in and out every two months if the don't have to?
Maybe some people don't want to make mulitple trips to the dump every two months if they don't have to?
Maybe some people don't want to spend a lot of money and work to waste something if they don't have to?

Not everybody's crop fits in a milk container. For some of us, replacing soil is a BIG deal.

I use beds. I just remove the root balls, break up the dirt, mix in a little studge and BAM!! Good to go. I get no drawbacks from reusing the dirt, in yield, health, diseases, whatever. So, no ill effects and it saves me a lot of money and hassle, that makes it a no-brainer for me.
Maybe you shouldn't try to relate your '1000 pounds of dirt every two months' cash crop grow to the comments I make at thc farmer. I am an individual medical grower trying to maintain compliance with my state's laws. Most of my comments will not apply to you, so if I say something you don't like you can just change the channel. Take it easy playa.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Hmmm. That sounds really neat and easy. I have obviously not tried but wouldn't there be an issue with all the roots that were living and now dead in the soil? That's why I was suckered into using EM1.. lol. Really though, do you use any dead root eating enzymes or something? I suppose I'll have give it a whirl..

PB

B

BobbyHopkins

Just trying to give some perspective for why some people would want to reuse their soil. The quote I replied to basically suggested that it's erroneous to reuse soil in any circumstances. There was no qualifier for grow size or anything.

B

BobbyHopkins

I don't use anything for the dead roots and everything goes just fine. I should have mentioned that I will change the soil after 3 or 4 runs. I won't use the same stuff forever. I change twice a year, tops.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Yeah man but you seem a little steamed. Relax. The quote you replied to was hugely tongue in cheek in response to a hilarious post. At the end of the day I could give a shit if people reuse their soil or not. WTF do I care what you do? lol...

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

I don't use anything for the dead roots and everything goes just fine. I should have mentioned that I will change the soil after 3 or 4 runs. I won't use the same stuff forever. I change twice a year, tops.
twice a year and you don't use enzymes? truly surprised you don't have root health issues.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
What do you attribute the lack of issues to? I mean, I would think pythium (sp?) would get a hold of those dead roots without some sort of interjection... I'm not trying to hound you I just can't quite get my head wrapped around it yet.

PB

B

BobbyHopkins

"At the end of the day I could give a shit if people reuse their soil or not."

You cared enough to post how silly it is to reuse soil. When it got explained to you that it isn't silly, suddenly you don't care. Haha ok.

PS I'm perfectly relaxed

For your questions - I mix vermiblend and mycorrhizae. Feed with the full line of Earth Juice and bountea every 10 days.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Tha'ts damn swell Bobby. And here I am thinking about how efficient and smart I am being... Jeez- :rolleyes: I'm gonna have to give it a go like that.

PB

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Hey Bill, just for argument's sake, why don't you do a round with recycling? There are quite a few benefits to growing this way... Sounds like Bobby has a good method and the em1 method is nice in my experience...

PB

B

BobbyHopkins

Well, PB, I can't tell you the science of it. I just don't argue with the results. Also, keep in mind that I use 4x8 beds, so it's not like they're packed with roots like a pot would be.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

"At the end of the day I could give a shit if people reuse their soil or not."

You cared enough to post how silly it is to reuse soil. When it got explained to you that it isn't silly, suddenly you don't care. Haha ok.

PS I'm perfectly relaxed

For your questions - I mix vermiblend and mycorrhizae. Feed with the full line of Earth Juice and bountea every 10 days.
No, I cared enough to laugh publicly at a post I thought was funny. And I agreed with underlying message in his joke.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Hey Bill, just for argument's sake, why don't you do a round with recycling? There are quite a few benefits to growing this way... Sounds like Bobby has a good method and the em1 method is nice in my experience...

PB
I've reused soil multiple times both out of curiosity and necessity. I like the results I get from using new soil each round.

Abek666

Abek666

For me, i reused my soil a good amount of round's but after the 3rd or 4th time i changed it up completely. I dont had that space to restore that amount of soil to its full potential befor i moved but now i have the space to even make a worm bin so i dont have to buy so much soil anymore^^. I'm real happy about that cause i just have to buy 2 bags a' 40 litres of soil in 1 year and just 1 bag of perlite in 2 years^^.
have a real nice day ma frendly farmers^^

B

BobbyHopkins

I've reused soil multiple times both out of curiosity and necessity. I like the results I get from using new soil each round.

If you don't ammend your soil properly or you don't have a complete feed regiment to supplement your cold soil accordingly, you will not like the results of reusing it.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

If you don't ammend your soil properly or you don't have a complete feed regiment to supplement your cold soil accordingly, you will not like the results of reusing it.
Again, much cleaner and easier for me to just buy new Roots Organic or Happy Frog for $12-14/bag and dump the old stuff in the flower bed, veggie garden or compost pile. There is no reason to bother with doing it myself. Messy, time consuming, I don't have the space and not even cost effective once you factor in the time component.

You do you Ronnie, I'll do me.

B

BobbyHopkins

Fair enough, Bill. It's not the most efficient way for everyone, I understand that. I was just pointing out that you "could" reuse your soil and get the same performance out of it. In fact, you could IMPROVE your soil for the second run. But again, if it's just a bag or two, I get it and I would probably do the same thing you do.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Im reuseing the soil in a couple beds...I added more new soil and Teas to amend of course

when I went digging around for old roots...there weren't really any. I loosened it up real good.
It looks good.
Im pretty sure my soil is alive...Im not gonna kill it...not yet.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Fair enough, Bill. It's not the most efficient way for everyone, I understand that. I was just pointing out that you "could" reuse your soil and get the same performance out of it. In fact, you could IMPROVE your soil for the second run. But again, if it's just a bag or two, I get it and I would probably do the same thing you do.
My collective and I are extremely happy with my current results. I don't need to mess around experimenting with a new method.

Yeah, I only go through about 12 cuft every 8 weeks, so I have enough places to compost it on my property and it will never pile up or become an issue. Plus we have some mighty happy flowers and veggies in the summer. And last but not least, it gets me out of raking and bagging leaves. I can just blow them in the compost areas! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom